Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 19 Run

Wow - I got to start a thread!

Got it done this morning.  New VDOT = 47.6, so new TP is 7:05.  I go out to the track and voila, I'm hitting 1:46/400 on my miles like clockwork.  I am so in awe of the amazingness of Jack Daniels training paces.  Spot on.  Short workout this morning.  The length of our intervals seem to be winding down.

Comments

• Options
    @Beverly - smokin' fast! Nice work.

All I will say is "ouch, ouch, ouch". Pretty much summed up my run today. After doing Sunday's run outside (after all other runs this OS being on the treadmill), my legs were still pretty trashed. Headed back outside today to do the 45 min. run. The first 5 minutes were painful. But the intervals got done and the rain hadn't yet started to freeze on the pavement (like it has now). I can stand the TM for about an hour but given the transition to longer running now I figured I better get used to running on the roads again. Hopefully back to normal soon.

---Ann.
  • Options
    @Ann -nice work! Hope the weather gets better soon for you. Hmm, Ontario, that might take a while...
  • Options

Beverly / Ann - nice work and way to lead!!

Week 17 Wed run attached: connect.garmin.com/activity/72140618

• Options
    Although I nailed my Z4 pace goals at the PE, I couldn't seem to get the HR up.

4 X .5mi (2') @ Z4: 3:29, 3:28, 3:21, 3:18 (target 3:30)

Saw that the NE is getting some bad weather again - I feel for those guys!

@ Beverly - good job starting this thread!

• Options
    got the run done on the treadmill.

4x1/2mile repeats @ TP (7:00)

legs were definitely feeling heavy thru the entire run.

nice work ladies and gents
  • Options
    First run outside since December, the weather is BEAUTIFUL today. Only 5ish miles, and they all hurt. Have a 5k Saturday before the annual Dallas celebration of St Patty's Day - which is a marathon of its own - of partying.

Now I'll take advantage of the nice weather and hit the bike for a few hours too.
  • Options
    I'm with Ann... after Sunday's outdoor 90 minutes of close to Z3 on average (inlcuding those Z4 3x1s) my legs are still pretty thrashed... Did 3 X 1/2 mile at or below my TP (7:36): 7:31, 7:41, 7:29. At the begining of the fourth, my left Hammy gave me a warning shot across the bow... and I am a good listener so bailed on the 4th one and cruised (ok, staggered) home. 5.5 miles on the nose in 45 minutes. Now where did I put that ibuprofen?
  • Options
    Did the week 19 Wed run and it felt great. Felt like a screaming eagle for 45 minutes anyway. Have to get up early again and do my last 3x15 min bike if the OS tomorrow. Getting excited to slip into the general race prep for Kansas in June. Will be nice to rest up for a whole week and have fun. 56 degrees here on Friday so going to try and do Sat VO2 max workouts on a 2 minute hill and then just ride for 90 minutes. It has been a great ride these last 19 weeks my friends.
  • Options
    Nice to have the run done meeting goal pace, and adding an extra 800m repeat. First real workout since Sunday half marathon. Not only is the race pace improved, but the ability to recover also seems enhanced.
  • Options
    Boy, I hope there are a bunch of people that are just tired/busy, rather than hurt or whatever... we are getting thinned out on posting!

I gotta figure out how to end these late-night runs, though. They aren't that great. Just a bit too tired when starting at 11 pm. got in my work intervals as below, but just mentally/physically not quite there to add much HMP time on. On the good side, i got another 45 minute swim in at lunch. Trying to kick start a little bit with 3 this week, at least a couple next, and then try to swim a lot during the transition.

0.5 at 6:23
    1.0 at 6:21
    1.0 at 6:25

Really not that hard... which makes it a little odd that the HMP didn't want to happen. I'm still blaming the time of day.

• Options
    First outdoor run workout in months! The course was hilly, so now I remember just how bad I am at hitting run paces when I can't just dial them in on the treadmill, especially the elusive Z3. On the bright side, I discovered that my health club pool is about a 30-minute run from my house, which is going to come in very handy for all those run/swim workout days in race prep season image

Z4 target is 6:38 (hit it), Z3 is 6:45 (ended up doing Z2 instead).
    10' warmup
    0.5 @ 6:15 (NGP 6:16), cadence 93, 159
    0.5 @ 5:53 (6:43), 92, 159
    0.5 @ 6:32 (6:31), 92, 162
    0.5 @ 7:07 (6:19), 92, 165
    13' @ 7:04 (7:15), 91, 160
    Total 44', TSS 60.8

• Options
    @ William - those REALLY LATE workouts add up. It's a stressor in itself. I did a bunch of them last year when training for this crazy charity thing that required 24 hours of focus. Working out at the craziest hours of nite, on purpose. Once you do a couple, you start thinking its 'better this way' cuz work is done and fam is tucked away. But, it didn't take long for me to crash and burn due to too many sleepless nights. No helpful info here, just letting ya know that I feel your zombie pain, been there. Keep up the good work, don't forget to sleep.

Chris
  • Options
    Posts are definitely thinning out these days as things wrap up. I think it is even more so since the groups have been formed. Its almost like we now have multiple forums to check. Just seems a bit cumbersome. Any how.

Running a day behind. Yesterday was little man's bithday. Ran on the treadmill this morning due to the rain.
    1/2 mile @ 3:09
    1/2 mile @ 3:03
    1 mile @ 5:51

Finished it up with another 15 minutes at 6:15 pace.
  • Options
    I did the Sunday run today. Started out with 2x800 @ about 3:32, 3:35 1 x 1600 @ 7:08. A few seconds off pace, but I am my 4th day in a row, so I'll take it. Then the rest of the run was my "long run" for the week. I'm up to 1:40, increasing the distance by 10 min every week. I was pleased to be clipping along right around 9 min miles which felt good. I bonked big time around 1 hr into the run (morning run + low carb diet) and had to make an emergency stop at CVS to buy a Coke. That did the trick. Still by the time I got back to the gym I was drooling and could hardly remember my name. Good workout. Swimming after work today. Tomorrow - day off! Sunday, 40K TT!
  • Options
    @William, that is the case, just not had a lot of time to post. My uncle passed away this week, getting things arranged to go to the funeral, and a busy work schedule just haven't left me with a lot of internet time. Still getting the work done though.
  • Options
    I did the OS run test today due to a local St. Patricks Day 5K: New PR and new VDOT: Over the OS I have gone from a VDOT of 42 to 46: I had hoped for a bit more, but a PR is a PR. I even ran 7 miles after the 5K to get in all of my running for the weekend. Tomorrow back on the bike for the dreaded VO2 max 2.5's. I am very pleased.
  • Options
    Did Sundays run today. Weather was great. Prepared my dinner and out I went. 6 miles in 45'. Felt tough but really doable
  • Options
    Great Sunday run but we ended up on the treadmill. 8.25 miles in 60 minutes felt great. Since my TP and HMP are not to far off....like 8.6 and 8.5 on treadmill I just played around and had fun. Did 6x800's 2x1200's and then tried to hold my pace as long as possible. Very happy.

Week 20 here we come!!!
  • Options
    That was weird. Yesterday I had to cut my outdoor Z3 brick run short and hobble home because of pain in my left Achilles tendon. This morning the pain was gone, so I figured I'd give it today's workout a shot but do it on the treadmill so I could stop immediately if the pain flared up...and I was able to do the entire 60' workout without pain, including 1 mile at Z4 and 32' at Z3. What's with that? Is there an issue with transitioning from the treadmill to outdoor running, and I need to ease into it gradually and carefully?
  • Options
    @ Dan - sorry to hear about that. Glad to hear you haven't fallen off - good to know you are still out there knockin' this stuff out!
    @ Jon - wrote a book and still put in the training to set a PR? Impressive

The 2 X .5 with 4' rest intervals felt great. It seems as though this might have been the most rest between repeats yet. My target was 3:15 and I did a 3:12 and a PR of 2:59!

Time to relax and catch up with all the podcasts!
  • Options
    Posted By Kevin Mepham on 13 Mar 2011 12:15 PM

That was weird. Yesterday I had to cut my outdoor Z3 brick run short and hobble home because of pain in my left Achilles tendon. This morning the pain was gone, so I figured I'd give it today's workout a shot but do it on the treadmill so I could stop immediately if the pain flared up...and I was able to do the entire 60' workout without pain, including 1 mile at Z4 and 32' at Z3. What's with that? Is there an issue with transitioning from the treadmill to outdoor running, and I need to ease into it gradually and carefully?

@ Kevin - I get that too from the deadmill.  Feels like a hot knife in the upper part of the tendon for me.  Happens every winter when I spend time on the DM.  What I found last weekend was even worse.  13 miles in on a 18 miler my quads were shot.  Every downhill - even gradual stuff made me hobble.  2 days later I was so sore that I almost needed to walk downstairs backwards!  Fortunatly it's all fine now - did hill repeats Tuesday and a 10 mile tempo Wednesday.  Today I nailed my 22 miler with no issues at all.

So, get off the DM and start doing some serious outdoor stuff.  In a few days you will be back to normal....

• Options

connect.garmin.com/activity/72961504

Week 17, 90 minute run for me.  Ouch...........

• Options

Nice run Simmons....Proud of you bro....Keep it up.....

• Options
    Posted By Carl Noftsger on 13 Mar 2011 08:31 PM

Nice run Simmons....Proud of you bro....Keep it up.....

Thanks Brotha!  Way to follow through and finish the OS strong!  You have set yourself up for an amazing season this year!!!

• Options

Kind of hodge podging my way through the last part of the OS. Ran 2 x 3 miles last night @ 18:55 and 18:46. Just under 9 miles for the hour. I'm impressed with everyone hanging tough and finishing the 20 weeks out.