Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

10 miler pacing

Team,

Need some advice on pacing for running an open 10 miler this weekend (Cherry Blossom). Never run an open 10 miler before and never run an open Half Mary (as a real race) before so just looking for some guidance. Basically same as Half Mary guidance or a little different because it is shorter?  Thanks in advance for all your help.

Comments

• Options

My 2 cents,

First 2 miles at race pace plus 30 or so, next 6 miles at pace then last two give it the gas.

Good Luck and hope its good weather.

• Options
    Steven,

Thanks. What would you use as "pace" HMP or a little faster?
  • Options

I would stick with the HMP as it is a good distance for so early in the season, you will really be able to tell in the last 2 miles.

• Options

Since your training under EN protocol you should know your current vDot (and 5k race pace).  You can use the Daniels Calculator to give you a 10M pace as a guide:

http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm

With that pace, I'd recommend following the same advice in the Wiki for Half Mary's,  Just modify that advice by shortening the "warmup" miles down to 2, run your predicted pace for then next 6, and then try to kick it in for the last 2.

• Options
    For just about any race, I usually split into 1/4 distance (in this case as HMP+30'), then 1/2 distance (as HMP) and last 1/4 as fast as you can go!!!