Home Classifieds
Options

WTB: Bike Pump Adaptor for Discs

Been using a wheel cover from Wheelbuilder.com for a year.  It would make my life a ton easier if I had that adaptor that works for these angles and small openings.  Just looking for used before I head to all3sports.com and pay full retail.

Got any laying around?

Comments

• Options
    Contact WB, they sell them.
  • Options
    will do, if this post doesn't pan out.
  • Options
    My local bike shop carries them as well. I believe they are affectionally referred to as crack pipes.

I have been thinking about getting one as I'm tired of shoving my pump end into the little opening. Is it a two-person job to use one?
  • Options

B/c you can no longer lock onto the valve itself (you'll be locking the pump head on to the crack pipe), it's ideally a 2person job.

I can do it by myself, but it's an effort to hold the crack pipe on the valve, and a super effort to pump up to 120psi with 1 arm image

• Options
    Yeah, have heard that. But, in most 'disc' situations, it'll only be needed on race day with family/friends/athletes around who are willing to help. Right? Not like you're gonna need it out on the course cuz you flatted.... just before the start of the race.
  • Options
    I have been doing it with a normal pump, so that's my backup plan if I can't get someone to help me. Like when I'm home alone, in which I rarely would have the wheel cover on anyway and could just fill it up prior to putting the cover on. And, now there are two of us in the household with wheel covers image
  • Options
    I use a crack pipe and pump up the tire myself at most races. It's challenging but not too bad, like anything else just try it out a few times before race day and you will be fine. I run around 110 psi or less so that probably helps as well.

If you have trouble, I'm sure you can find someone in transition that would be willing to hold it on or pump for you.
  • Options
    I use the Ultimate C02 cartridge which allows you to not use the whole cartridge at once, along with a pressure gauge. This fits in the opening nicely. Additionally it is a very nice way of avoiding taking a pump with you if you have to fly to a race.
  • Options
    Breverly's approach is good if you do not use latex tubes. Latex and CO2 are not recomended as they lose pressure quickly.

Jordan Rapp once posted a link on ST to a company that sells small compressed air cylinders that can be used like CO2 to inflate latex tubes pre race or on the road. I didn't save the link though because they were like 3x the cost and size, so I didn't think it was worth it.