Home General Training Discussions
Options

Post Week 8 Testing Thoughts

This is my first time through the OS. I joined EN earlier in 2009 and while I attempted to follow the workouts I didn’t really get it. While I did generate some progress I don’t believe I ever hit the 2x20 bogies during my rides and my APB rides were a bit less than APB.

However, I am eight weeks into the OS and I get it. I struggled through the initial FTP test, loosing some 60 watts on my initial indoor FTP test vs. my outdoor version. I had no idea how to pace on the trainer and started out too hard and struggled and faded.

The Vdot test was also a painful affair and I started too fast and hard and ended the ordeal struggling to stay vertical. My 3.1 mile time gave me a Vdot of 40.4 but it was not pretty.

During the past eight weeks I have not missed a single session. I push each time and every one of my bike rides have been well above my FTP mark – even the 80-85% ers. My running is improving as well.

Now I understand the OS – it is as much about the mind as it is the body. I can now push through steady wattage, and finish each segment with a surge. My run pacing is improving. I am capable of much more than my body would lead me to believe.

During this week’s tests I bumped my FTP up 36 watts. I raised my Vdot from 40.4 to 41.5. Each session, while painful and, as promised by the coaches – clock stopping – was paced to perfection. My first couple of Vdot laps put me at a 7:36 per mile pace and I finished up with an overall pace of 7:31 per mile – negative splits are the best!

For me personally, I believe that as I head towards IM CDA 2010, the OS is generating my most important training sessions of the year. I am building a strong mental and physical base, and can feel it!  When it is time to add the far I will be ready - both physically and mentally.

I am pumped and while I know my physical progress will slow, my mental strength will continue to rock!

Thanks coaches!

Comments

• Options

Yes! All humans are natural athletes, if we just can get out of our own way.

EN OFs will rule at IM CDA.

• Options

That's great , Al. If you're in that mental place now, you'll just grow bigger and stronger dimensions of that mental strength as you proceed through the training here. The physical will surely follow. Speaking for myself, I have also found that EN training has allowed me to be open up to using the strength, mental toughness, and motivation in other aspects of my life. The training no longer lives in its own separapte box, but infuses my life and helped me move through my own personal life journey. It's very cool stuff.

• Options
    I think that's what you call your first EN "aha" moment! Very cool Al!
  • Options

Al O,

Yes I have been working in to getting it as well.  Although I missed one workout because I was an idiot and decided to push too hard.  Developing the skills mentally and physically to pace with watts on an FTP test and training sessions is great.  Finishing up strong and pushing through while difficult is needed to get even bigger gains. 

I would also like to add the accountability to yourself and the group with goals for the OS, watts, Vdot, weight are also excellent motivators when you are in the depths of a difficult session.

Gordon

• Options

Love this thread...especially Linda's post about bring strengths gained into other parts of life.  

Much agreed that feel OS is building mental strength. Each workout is an accomplishment....small victories.

Merry merry!!

• Options

Its funny and a shift in thinking, someone ask me at work last week if I was going to try and qualify for Kona. My response was 'I need two more out-seasons! " The  gains made during the dark cold months are amazing and the mental strength we gain is what allows us to race well during the season....

• Options
    Al - Congrats on seeing the hard work pay off...you are going to crush IMCDA 2010!

P