Home General Training Discussions
Options

Ice Bath

Hi all,

The crazies over in the Run Challenge forum are discussing winter time ice baths, and I wanted to open up the conversation with the Whole House.

Q1) How long do you do it generally?  How about when you're already freezing from running in the cold?

Q2) I'm curious where people fit it into their post activity time?  

My answers for this week:

A1) Today I was lucky to hit 5 minutes.  It was absolutely miserable.

A2) I generally get home, strip my top down and get dried off, hit the pool with recovery drink in hand, maybe do some stretching in the pool, dry off, more stretching and recovery drink, shower, eat.

Mike 

Comments

• Options
    I never do the ice bath if I am already freezing.

Usually I only take an ice bath after long run or really hard intervals.

My routine is: drink a glass of water, plug in garmin to start downloading, bring recovery drink/water bottle/ice to bathroom, get in tub while water is filling, stay in as long as possible, take hot shower.
  • Options
    I never take a ice bath when I come in freezing. So usually only do it in the summer. I have found though that if the water temp is above 56,57 degrees f, that it is not so painful. I still feel a benifit if the water temp is in the upper 50's low 60's and like I said I am able to tolerate it much better. I can usually stay in it for 10-15min under those conditions.
  • Options

I will say that I never add ice to the water. I just use cold water from the tap. Rarely use them in winter since I am usually cold already. In winter, I am better about stretching right after the run, while I am standing under the hot shower. In summer, I try to stay as long as possible. But I am usually constrained by needing to get to work. So I sit still for 5-8 minutes, then remain seated while I wash everything above water line, stand to finish and get out the door to work. And yes even that short amount of time makes a huge difference after a hard long run or interval run.

• Options
    I only do an ice bath for a long run/ride/race (typically a run lasting >90 minutes, a ride>3-4 hours with hard intervals). I'll grab a recovery smoothie while the bath tub is filling up with cold water. Then I add ice. I sit in the ice water (it'll come up almost to my waist) for at least 15 minutes, but I try to go for 20 minutes. I wear all my clothes and put on more clothes like a hat, mittens, fleece jacket. I really think wearing clothes on my upper body helps me stay for the whole 20 mintues. The first 5 minutes is rough: lots of hyperventilating, clenching of all muscles. I try very hard to take deep, slow breaths and the next 15 minutes goes faster.
  • Options

Already took 2 ice baths this week after 2 long runs for the challenge. I wait until  tub is full, get in and acclimate for 1-2 minutes then add 4-5pounds of ice.  Stay in for 20 minutes, then take hot shower, put compression pants on, bundle up and sit in  front of fire.

Just this year I've started wearing surfing booties in  tub, it has made a huge differance and has made the ice baths so much more bearable.  

You younger dudes who think ice baths are not necessary, wait until you hit your later 40's until you pass judgement on there effectiveness.

• Options

Mike,

I Usually find 12 minutes is good.

In the winter I'll put a hat on & sometimes a sweater to keep the top of my body from shiveringto much.

Robert

• Options

I will sit in a ice bath about once a week for 15' to 20'.  After that I will sit in a hot bath ( as hot as I can stand it) for another 15'.  I can really tell the difference in my recovery when I do this.  Like Bob said once your in your 40's every little bit helps.

• Options

I would assume it is not good to take one if you are actually really cold already.  You can warm up in the house for a few minutes or more to get the core temp up and then take the ice bath.  And I generally take one after runs of 10 miles or more or a 3+ hour bike.

1 - Usually lasts between 10 and 15 minutes, usually closer to 15.   Is is cold tap water with with a full bucket of ice from the ice maker.  I use a standard size tub.

2- Right after making my recovery shake when I get in the door, it is the next thing I do when I get back from the workout.  I drink the recovery shake while in the tub.

John

• Options

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  Now you've all got me feeling like I'm a big wuss.  I lasted about a minute this morning before I couldn't take it any longer.  I guess the trick is to just take it, and after a bit it will get better.

For the folks in the tub with ice, any idea what temperature you're sitting in?  My pool right now is right around 46 degrees.

Mike

• Options

Agree with the posts above that wearing something warm on your upper half - including a toque (seriously) - really helps.  I find a warm beverage also works wonders.

• Options
    My process is pretty much the same as described above (add ice to the water and sit in the tub). Hot tea or coffee while sitting in the tub is essential for me. I wear a baithing suit with a long sleeve rash guard (those surfing shirts) for warmth up top. I also grab a few magazines to read which help distract me from the cold.
  • Options

Mike:

My water temp is in the 50's somewhere.  Definitely a shock to sit in.

46 in the pool?  Now that is frigging cold!  :-)

John

• Options

I took the collective advice and modified my protocol.  This morning I left my socks on, went in step by step (rather than just charging in Braveheart style), and didn't move while in the water.  I stayed in 10 minutes, and got out since my wife was leaving for work - but I could have stayed in longer.

When I did move and the water flushed through my socks  it became apparent how much insulation they were providing.

I then jumped in the shower for an extended period .

Mike

• Options

@ Kitima, Pix or it didn't happen.