Home General Training Discussions
Options

Higher watts, lower speed issue

Hey, team--

I got my new CycleOps fluid trainer about the same time as I got my Powertap this past summer so I'm not sure which may be the source of my problem.  So here's the thing...the speed on my PT always seems to be very low compared to the watts I'm pushing.  Even when I'm doing really hard Z5 intervals in the upper 300s and low 400s my speed only gets up to 19-20mph.   When I'm working around FTP or doing an 80-85% rep my speed is always in the 17-18mph range -- basically like I'm always going up a slight hill.  For reference, on my last race outside I averaged around 220 watts and 23mph.  Do you guys think the low speed is just a function of the resistance on my trainer drum/flywheel or could it be a PT hub/unit issue?  Note: there are no resistance settings on the trainer and I recently changed the batteries in my hub and the head unit. 

Either way I know I'm getting the work in but it would be nice psychologically to see some higher speeds on the computer when I'm doing my OS workouts.

Thanks!

-Chris

Comments

• Options

Very simply, you can compare speed on a trainer to speed on the road (you, the bike, the road, wind, real world, etc). Just push the watts and don't worry about speed. You'll be suprised when you get outside

• Options

Good stuff.  Thanks, coach!

p.s. After re-reading my own question it's pretty obvious it must be my trainer because my speed appears fine outside. 

• Options

I have to laugh because this kind of thing always bothers me too, even though I know it shouldn't. In fact it's why I get embarrassed to do indoor TTs.

I always joke I've never worked so hard to go 16 - 17 mph.  The kicker was doing an indoor ride this week at higher watts but 4 or 5 mph slower speed for a race I did outside on the same course.  I did feel better yesterday when I noticed my bike racer husband only averaged 19 mph. He always tells me not to worry about the speed just do the work.

The other thing I notice is the mph is slower when you actually do computrainer courses on your computer as opposed to just using the little handlebar box and setting your watts where you want.

So I anxiously await March to go outside and see how fast I really am after watching my watts climb bit by bit under the OS.

Merry Merry. Hope Santa brings tailwinds.

• Options

Ha!  Good to know I'm not alone on this, Pam.   

Can't wait to be unleashed on the roads next spring and actually see my speed go over 20mph!