Home General Training Discussions
Options

HaveI been de-training myself?

I'm worried that the paces that I've been training @ are too slow to the point of de-training myself.

Early this year I was following the Furman First running plan with speed workouts at 6:40/mi and 3:10-3:15/ 1/2 mile.

Then In the autumn I was doing track workouts with 1/2 mile repeats around 3 to 3:05

In the summer I PR'd a 5K @ 20:19 (6:33 pace), then @ the start of the NovOS I had a cold and could only manage 6:40 pace during my test race. It's only amounts 1 point different in vDot.

Last week I completely blew up, trying to do my vDot test on a treadmill, (72 degrees ) I bailed @ 1.75 miles.

I appreciate that the test was not much use given the temperature, but at this time of the year getting a 5K with reasonable footing in Chicago is pretty hard........

I wondering if I should just continue on with my TP (7:05), or should I adjust it to be more consistent with what I was previously using?

Comments

• Options

remember- TP is not your 5k range. image It's comfortably hard versus flat out, think more like a 10k or hour time trial. IP is closer to your 5k pace.

The outseason plans build up some solid TP miles and now as we hit week 9 we start moving to workouts that focus on the IP/5k paces.

I'd stick with your current zones and see how the next few weeks go with the faster segments. These will be your get faster track like runs. image

• Options
    Agree with Leigh.  I'm gonna bet you blew that 5K Dreadmill test more because it's just mentally hard to do a 5K test on a treadmill than because you couldn't hit the 6:40 (or better) pace.  Stick with you current Training Zones for now until you get to the next test.

• Options
    An outside 5k and a 5k on a treadmill are worlds apart to me ... not even comparable.

I had similar concerns a year ago because I was doing focues run training and then came into the EN OS plan and ran less and many times slower. I had a vdot dip for a little while and then came out 2 points higher then I started. It's easier said then done but trust the plan and zones and let your body adapt. It may take 8 weeks, 16 weeks or 20 weeks, but it will adapt at some point and you will get faster.
  • Options

Thanks, for the input Leight, Nemo & Matt, the treadmill attempt at 5K really knocked my confidence.

I'll keep the faith, and stick with the plan paces.

I need to remember I've been running for 5 years, training through the last 3 winters, so any jump is not likely to be so huge. On the other hand the this is the first time I've biked through the winter and the gains areHUGE

Thanks once again guys

• Options

Robert- It can be pretty tough to get safe conditions here in MA as well. But I do not have treadmill access, so outside it is. Last year, I moved my tests around a bit, not huge. Mostly I moved the VDOT to the weekend before or after the scheduled day and ran in the road on Sunday morning. Believe me, it was much safer than trying to avoid ice on the sidewalk when running flat out. Also, if a storm was predicted, this worked better. So 1 or 2 workouts were at the "wrong" pace. It still was better than nothing.

• Options
    Posted By Robert Towler on 28 Dec 2009 08:56 PM

at this time of the year getting a 5K with reasonable footing in Chicago is pretty hard........

The snow isn't the bad part, it's all the ice sitting under the snow.  I hear you on this and I avoid running outside until it thaws which means either finding an indoor track or treadmill.  5K tests on the 'mill are so much harder because of the pacing and "hamster effect".  Depending on where you live there might be a high school with a track that's open to the public (sometimes for a small fee) or a gym you could use for a day with an indoor track large enough that you don't feel like you’re just spinning in circles.

• Options
    Posted By Robert Towler on 28 Dec 2009 08:56 PM

I'm worried that the paces that I've been training @ are too slow to the point of de-training myself.

In the summer I PR'd a 5K @ 20:19 (6:33 pace), then @ the start of the NovOS I had a cold and could only manage 6:40 pace during my test race. It's only amounts 1 point different in vDot.

Please continue with proper paces. Upping your run speed (i.e. disregarding your test values) will begin to compromise recovery, future ability to run and your ability to bike. That's why we test. I just ran a 5k about 7 seconds slower per mile than what I did in season..a drop of 1.25 vDOT points, but no way I am that fit. It's easy to say "I am faster than the 5k I just did", but proving it is far harder....stick with what you have proven and you'll be fine!

P