Home General Training Discussions
Options

Question for men (ladies read at own risk)

I figured that might get some attention.

When I ride, I have to allow my "junk" to hang on one side of the saddle (I happen to prefer left). I cannot be centered on the saddle or it puts too much pressure for long rides. My question is whether this slight "canting" of my body to the left of seat center will ever have any effects on my hamstrings/hips/knees/back/groin/calves?

I do not experience any discomfort when riding now but I have always had right calf problems and wondering if this is related. Thoughts?

P.S. I ride a Fizik Arione Tri2.

Comments

• Options

Take a look at www.cobbcycling.com/cart/V-Flow_Max_C1P4.cfm and click on the "Sit Chart" in the box.  He seems to suggest rotating the saddle a few degrees to accomodate exactly that. 

I'd think that if you're tilting your body to accomodate a straight seat, it could lead to some imbalances, which could lead to issues (though it's so hard to say that anything "will" cause problems).  The other option would be a seat like an Adamo, which doesn't interfere with the junk...

Good luck!

Mike

• Options

Similar problem with left hamstring that I attribute to the saddle/bike fit.  I have been to several bike fitters and tried the Cobb v flow but the problem persisted for me.  Am now using the ISM Adamo Century which is still not the holy grail of comfort but better.  Subtle rotation of the saddle sounds like a good solution.  Unfortunatley, I have a Cerverlo which does not allow the seat post to rotate.   Anatomically, I think the source of the problem is either blood flow obstruction or nerve compression.  So, finding a comfortable position and making space for important anatomy seems critical, especially on a 4-5 hour ride.  If the Cobb saddle does not help then I suggest Adamo or the R2 Rido Saddle (rido-usa.com).  The everyday cyclist podcast endorsed Rido.  I have also read the tiny changes in seat height or rotation, as little as 5 mm, can make a big difference.  The EN Bike Fit people may also be able to help.

• Options

I've struggled with exactly the same problem - and have had two problems because of sitting sideways a bit.  Once my back got really sore, which I attributed to being twisted a bit.  I started switching from left side to right side and it got better.

The next problem was much worse.  My preferred position was riding on the nose of the saddle way up high in my crotch (there's already been a TMI warning on this thread, right!?!), basically right where the leg ends and the body begins.  But that put 100% of my weight on a pretty small area.  I ended up developing a cyst that had to be surgically removed.

Now I'm riding a Cobb, but I'm still getting numb sometimes.  It being the OS, the rides are shorter, so it hasn't been too much of a problem.  But at least with the Cobb a lot more of my backside is touching leather, which I'm sure will prevent the hot spot that sent me to the doc.

Mike

• Options
    Posted By Mike Hedman on 30 Dec 2009 09:49 PM

I ended up developing a cyst that had to be surgically removed.

ASSMAN!!!

Good times! I forgot about that

• Options
    Posted By Rich Strauss on 30 Dec 2009 10:17 PM

ASSMAN!!!

Yeah - I remember thinking just that: "Good times!" when the doc was inside my crotch with a scalpel and tweezers, and then says (loudly): "Damn!".  Wwwwwwhat!!!??!?

That title, Assman, was earned .

m

• Options
    Posted By Rich Strauss on 30 Dec 2009 10:17 PM

ASSMAN!!!

Oh- I'll never forget!!!  That was one of those "But for the Grace of God Go I" Moments!!!!  Mike will always be Assman to me!