Home General Training Discussions
Options

cold weather

This is a question for all the cold weather peeps.  I am down in usually warm Florida but the past week or so has been very cold for us.  I am in week 14 of the OS and the past 4 Tues/Thurs training rides have been really tough, very slow, legs feeling sluggish, etc.  The temp when I have done these rides has been between upper 20's and low 30's.  Do you experience a slow down in really cold weather or am I just experiencing the side effects of training a little too hard in the preceding weeks? 

Comments

• Options

I feel a little sluggish as well during the cold rides, also you may have on more clothing than you are use to riding in. Could you try swapping out a trainer ride and see how you feel? How do you legs feel during your runs?

upper 20's low 30's is balmy by the way

• Options

Chris,

Probably a little of both.  For me, muscles loosen up much easier in warmer weather.

I did my first 5k test in 50 degree weather, 2nd one in 25 degree and was 13 seconds slower.  It was both weather and fatigue.

I don't mind running in cold weather, but it certainly takes longer to warm and loosen up.  I do all my bike workouts indoors.  It's just easier admin wise.  However, I rode a lot outside during the winter months for the past two years.  Once I'm warmed up, I'm good.  But good luck if you get a flat and have to stop and have your sweat turn to ice and you're 15 miles from home. 

Good news is this is probably just temporary for you down in FL.

Dave

• Options

Thanks for the replies! 

Yes, fortunately these balmy 20's and 30's are very temporary!