Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Time To Say Farewell . . . . For Now.

Hi All:

As many of you know, I have had a tough go of things the past few months with my brother’s death and other personal stuff. I am on the back side of all that now which is a good thing. However, something has changed in my psyche. A kind of paradigm shift, if you will.

To make a long story short, I was on my run this morning and I didn’t have that fire or desire I normally have in training. In fact, I haven’t had it since October. I made the decision at mile 4 to walk away from triathlon for the remainder of the year. My head and heart just aren’t into it.

I e-mailed them this morning and I want to thank Coach Rich and Coach Patrick for their kind words and over the top support with my decision. I am their top supporter (along with the rest of you).  THANKS GUYS!

I also want to thank every one of my EN brethren for your continued support, dealing with my zaniness, and making my training so incredibly enjoyable. I met every goal I was shooting for last year at IM CdA and it is because of you all. THANK YOU!

I have this feeling I will be back, but not sure when just yet. 

I will be watching everyone via Facebook and Twitter and cheering you on.

That’s about it. Have a great year everyone and crush it.  You all ROCK!

John

Comments

• Options
    Good luck John - I'm going to miss your thoughtful responses to every post. Sounds like you're at peace with you decision....so it must be the right one. Take care and talk to you soon.
  • Options
    John...I understand your decision. I'm sure it is the wisest decision as you appear to be a wise-guy :-).

Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet at CIM as my weekend got away from me. I was hoping to meet up in the spring on a ride sometime as I can't make the WF deal due to a conference conflict.

Vince
  • Options

Best of luck John. It was great to have your energy and support last year at CDA. I look forward to seeing you back on the road in the future.

Elvis

• Options

John,

I hate to see your positive attitude and uplifiting posts move on but only you know what's best for you.  I look forward to your return.  Enjoy the time off from triathlon you will be missed on the EN forums.

Gordon

P.S.  You gave me the extra motivation to stretch my bike FTP goals.  My last test, week 14 was 220.  I will make that 225 mark that was set out in my earlier challenge thread to you.

• Options

John -- you will certainly be missed! Your decision sounds smart. Take care of that mojo and I'll see you around the Facebook.

• Options
    awwwww. well shoot. you will be missed around here, I just might have to rejoin FB.!! yep I understand though, and since you were building up to IMSG, good to think clearly now. yes your zaniness, videos, and pics will be missed!! m
  • Options

John,

I salute your decision and action; gotta follow the truth inside. At the same i'll miss your presence on EN terribly; if ever there was an athletic supporter, it's you. 

Bon voyage.

• Options

It will be strange logging into the forum and not seeing your posts - but PULLING A STARK will always remain  .   Hope to see you soon, my friend.

• Options

John,

I will miss you tremendously around here.  However, I know you've had a tough time these last several months and have kept what's important where it should be.  I hope to see you in May when the ToC rolls through your area.

All the best,

Dave

• Options
    John - all the best to you! It takes a wise man to make a decision like this. I hope things settle down for you and your fire is re-ignited in due time. Take care. r/Paul
  • Options

John hopefully I will get to buy you a cup of coffee at ToC to repay you for the one you bought me last year image Good luck, totally get it.

-Dave

• Options

John-

I can't imagine how tough it must have been for you to make this decision (or maybe more the carrying out of it).  You ARE my IM captain idol!  Gosh I'll miss your bright hearted, totally fun sense of love, life & humor.  Have fun and talk some of your ultra running crew into a KY race (hint hint.. Bourbon Chase... or LBL 50 miler... or ....)

K

• Options

Only YOU know what is right for YOU! I admire your ability to make the smart choice! Thanks so much for the warm welcome when I joined EN - you really made me feel like I belong here image. I'll look forward to hearing what your up to via FB.

Robin
  • Options

To thine own self be true!! Good luck, John. Enjoy yourself!!

• Options
    I almost PULLED A STARK last night as a matter of fact! Thanks for all of the encouragement you have given and we'll definitely miss you in the house. Good Luck!
  • Options
    John, you will be missed badly.
    I too hope to see you when ToC rolls through NorCal, or perhaps on my other trips out there. Don't be a stranger, have others post updates about you too on here for all to see - we just want to make sure you're doin okay!

I'll continue to see you on FB and twitter, don't be a stranger!
  • Options

Hey Johnny,

This has been a very hard decision for you to make. Watching you struggle with it made me feel so bad for you.  I hope you feel at peace with your decision and that the love and support people are sharing with you  is sinking in. You are very special. Enjoy your build up to your summer ulta trail race. There is nothing like where we live and our amazing trails. I hope that journey brings you lots of joy.

Love, Carrie

• Options

Oh John, this must have been very hard for you.  But I can already "hear" the peace in your voice as you accept this decision.  It's not like you are walking away from challenges by any stretch (and if you don't keep FB posted with your adventure to crossing the English Channel I'm gonna fly to Cali and punch you in the nose!).  Go have fun with some other challenges- and with your family too!

You will, of course, be missed around here!  After all, I don't think anyone else can take your place as president of the Nemo fan club!  We'll just have to retire that position until and unless you decide to return some day!

Many hugs & kisses! (which I expect to be able to give to you in person at TOC in May!)

• Options

Thanks for all your posts that inspired me as I began this journey.  Good Luck in all you do.  

• Options
    John, best of luck to you. I'm certain it was a difficult decision, but you are a wise man to know what you need to do, and have the courage to do it! Bless you, and peace be with you brother!
  • Options

Stark RULES! Always will.

We all love you, John, and send you off to find the peace and balance that you need. When you're ready to circle back, you have all of us to come home to. Rock on, JS! Smile and enjoy.

• Options
    Jonh - You will be sorely missed aorund here. It sounds like you've made a decision that was very well thought out and absolutely necessary at this point in your life. Find that next "thing" that makes you happy, inspired and excited and have FUN with it! Good luck and best wishes!!
  • Options

Amen to all of the above.

• Options

John,

I feel fortunate that you and I are locals, and that our interest continue to intersect.  I also signed up for the Tahoe race, but am (pretty far down) on the waiting list.

I look forward to seeing you next chapters unfold...

Mike

• Options
    John, Not much more can be said. Stay safe brother and we will see you back here soon!

Pete
  • Options
    John,

While I'm really gonna miss you here, you sound like you're making the right decision. A wonderful and fun year lies ahead of you!
    Hope to see you in your neck of the woods at ToC.
  • Options

John,

Thanks for your encouraging responses to my posts.

You will be back, more fired up and better than ever.

Sometimes we just need to take some time out for ourselves, and that's a good thing.

But at some point your mind and body is going to tell you, they are ready and you'll be itching to get back in the game.

But for now your doing the smart thing

take care

Robert

• Options
    Best wishes.
    John S.
  • Options

Nothing says it better.

• Options
    Hi John,

I am sure I speak for dozens of others in the "Silent Majority" of EN in thanking you for all you have added to the Haus via your videos, CdA Captain-ship and forum posts. You've added a ton to the vibe here and it was definitely part of why I enjoyed my first year here so much.

Thanks for the laughs and the learning. Good luck and hope to see you around when you're ready