Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

February 2010 Prez Weekend Bike Challenge

Comments

• Options

I really need this challenge. No bike mojo since vo2max stuff.

Looking forward to starting the challenge tomorrow. I'll be riding to the Owho vs oSu hoops game. I generally ride hard when the Pokes play poorly cause I'm screaming at them to play better....hopefully I'l get a stay Z3 for Day 1.

Day 1 Sat: Z3

Day 2 Sun: Z4

Day 3: Everything I got left! 

• Options
    Posted By Suzanne Kinsky on 11 Feb 2010 09:01 PM

Nah, I'm heading to Boston for the weekend (to include a Harpoon Brewery tour!). I'd offer to hook up with the Boston EN-ers to ride together but...I want a three day training break more.

Pics! And be sure to get the chocolate stout!

• Options

In, for much climbing and mileage this weekend . Gots my new eyes and new Jawbone shades. No more $15 Nashbars, though the Jawbones fogged up on a little 7 mile run today.

Whateva, plan to thrash myself good this weekend.

• Options

Great idea Nemo! Only problem in our house is that riding together costs even more points, my LBS was kind enough to loan me a tandem once and I thought that would be a really cool deal for us to spend some time together. 45 minutes later we were back and that was our last ride together. I am blessed with someone that will go to events with and patiently wait for me and shoot photo's so no complaints.

@Rich, was the lasik yesterday or last week and how are you enjoying the new eyes so far?

• Options
    I heart our tandem! Single speed and super fun for the beach roads. I'm the stoker and hubby pretty much just stears the bike while I push the peddles. Works great 'cause I get my workout in and we spend time together too. I wish we had a 10sp roadbike tandem- that would rock!
  • Options

I finished my Saturday morning ride on the Trainer and nailed the intervals.  I haven't figured out how many points it gets me, but I'm happy to have it done.  I Tweeted my "before" video for the world to see, but this "after" video I saved just for you all!  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpvGlp1KPKM

• Options

Does cross country ski time count?  Im going today and tomorrow (bike first tomorrow)  I will be working just as hard. What about office desk time...should be some points for having to do that all weekend and Pres Day.   Put in two and half hours this morning and more to come tomorrow. LOL.

I'm doing a lot of mental self care right now. Work very busy (every weekend). Not complaining. Luck to have it, but I need to make some changes and have started to implement a few.  Have managed to stick to OS throughout. But sleeping like poo and tired all the time...so told myself Thursday since I had personal trainer in afternoon ok to skip bike.  Today I said you can bike tomorrow. You worked this morning and you are skiing today.  In another two weeks you can bike almost everyday.  (I'm not testing next week cuz just tested two weeks ago and would rather test myself once I get to FL in two weeks).   Trying to minimize the "you have to do this" feeling that dominates life right now.

Will enjoy bright sunshine and snow time today...get inspired by Olympics.  (Look for my niece Elli Ochowicz speed skater Tues and thursday.)  Will remind myself Im working harder on bike and run this OS than ever have and I won't lose gains because I miss a day or ski instead.

Happy bike challenge.

Nemo love the head band!!!

• Options

nice job, Nemo... (even better since you picked up some bonus points for the chicas)!

I'm off the bike now and need to figure out my tally... perhaps I can get the beau to snap a pic of me riding... only worthwhile because more often than not, while I ride the cat that bit me (Sid) usually sits at the foot of my front wheel (next to the block) or on the arm of the couch watching me.  I will admit I was sad there was no Olympic coverage to watch and inspire me.

Suzuki, have a great time in Boston... glad you made it out of DC's frozen tundra.

A tandem would be great... I suspect V-day will involve a trip to the gym with my man so I can run... he doesn't have a trainer (or believe in them since he often rides to work), but if I need to sneak in a ride I don't think I'll lose any points - he knows how hard my back-to-back injuries have been on my mojo (besides, he's in favor of me getting my body and my head back).

just did my tally.  man, 13 minutes in Z3 (2 minutes shy of a full point) and the calculator didn't give me partial credit.  bummer!  at least I got some partial credit for for my less than hour in Z1.  1:20:00 on the bike doing my 2x12s in Z4 and 2x15 in Z3  and only 1.48 points... sorry chicas!  (shocking that I only ended up with 13 minutes in the actual zone... I guess the ramp up to get there took longer than I thought for each segment... or my garmin needs to be reprogrammed ).

• Options
    Done and tweeted my pick....3.66 pts. I thought it was 10' in Z4 ------crap!

@coach p - you need to fix the calc columns, you're giving partial credit to everything except Z4.
  • Options

Day 1 done. Flat and very fast ride down the LA River Trail to Long Beach, then south and up the San Gabriel River Trail. This was my first completely flat, paceline-y ride in a long time....didn't like it. I get more done when I climb, putting up much bigger numbers in the mountains. I was joined by Sawiris of Wheelbuilder, his GF Vikki and EN plan customer/local training partner Jesse Arian. We had kinda a scary moment: we were ticking along at 27-28 with the boyz taking moderately long pulls and Vikki sitting in. Rich dropped something, yelled he was stopping to pick it up, we slowed down and kept riding. Vikki then dropped a bottle and Jesse went to flip it to get it for her...and was t-boned by Rich who was driling it to catch back up. I looked back to see them both hit the ground and then, I swear, Rich's bike is launched like 20ft in the air and bounces about 3 times down an embankment. Jesse was slow getting up and for a sec I tought he might have broken something. Turns out he broke a spoke...but a professional wheelbuilder is a good tool to have a long for the ride.

Rich fixing Jesse's wheel:

Numbers: 3:00, 191 TSS, .78 IF, about 65 miles. I'll need to download the file to see how the points worked out.

• Options
    Done. Ugh. Didn't make my full prescribed ride time because my quads got really really sore and I started to freak that pushing through would just spell disaster later. That, and I seem to be sucking wind at 9500 ft. I knew I should have stayed in Denver this weekend...

Rich, that's some crazy stuff. Sounds like that would be worthy of some major Ligget and Sherwin commentary. I'm glad to hear that everyone came away OK. Going to be some soreness I'm sure for those that hit the ground. OUCH!

Rest up y'all. We're on again tomorrow!
  • Options
    Dang Rich- that's a pretty scary crash! Glad to hear everyone is OK.
  • Options

1.5 hours jra while watching "Gentleman Prefer Blondes." You just can' beat Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe on a Saturday evening. Video posted to the You Tube -- there are sequins.

• Options
    LOVE the sequin headband Beth!!!
  • Options
    thought I just did a z1 ride yesterday, but when I binned the time in 5 watt increments, i got a whole 8 minutes of z3. every tenth of a point counts. today i'm going to hit it hard with the saturday workout. this bike challenge is great. another wonderful excuse to avoid running.
  • Options

Day 1: 54 miles of climbing in Santa Monica Mountains - 72 degrees    3:22, 250 TSS, .86 IF.  8.5 Challenge points but I'm only getting 1hr today.  Hopefully I can catch up on more points Monday.

For my extra 2 points, I've got iPhone video of Rich's snow capped mountains wwwaaayyyy off in the distance. 

• Options

Day 1:  55 miles of relentless chasing my buddy who thrashes me.  35 degrees out and the first time I've riddent this long since Oct.  2:45, a couple of sets of 15' at threshold, and the rest better than 85%.  Enough work to get 7 points.  I was lucky I made it home.  Totally bonked as I had no food in about 5 hours.  Not good.  Was totally thrashed for the rest of the day and thought the challenge was over... until I got up this am. 

287 pnorm for the entire ride.

Day 2:  1:45 minutes with local group.  I let them know I was looking to do some work so I took off on my own, had some company on some intervals and just tried to gets some points. 

Some VO2 work and a threshold set, with the rest at 85% gave me 4.77 points.

292 pnorm for the entire ride.

Still cold out.  Where's the cold weather points?  Brian and Rich riding in SoCal.  They should get points deducted. 

Dave

• Options
    Day 2 in the books! I felt so much better today thanks to not doing any Z5 work. Yesterday flippin' killed me with that stuff. Seriously thought my legs were going to stop moving by the end. OK...I'm being dramatic. But really. Today I watched Napoleon Dynamite for the first half of my ride then jammed on it with the King of Pop. Now I am
    D-U-N (done!) and ready to shower up and start cramming my face full of food!
  • Options
    Posted By David Halligan on 14 Feb 2010 12:28 PM

Still cold out.  Where's the cold weather points?  Brian and Rich riding in SoCal.  They should get points deducted. 

Dave

WERD!!!  Kinda easy to rack up points when it warm & beautiful!!  

I had a great ride with my non-cyclist hubby today and earned a few points by staying up front and pulling the whole way.  Works out great because then I can get "work" done and he can just sit in and enjoy the ride.  It was 38 degrees and windy (as usual) but it was great to be outside!  I Tweeted this pic but it didn't show up yet for some reason, so here ya go:

• Options
    hey guyz, I will post my data tomorrow so don't think I haven't been racking up points!! been putting info down in jan OS..... good job peeps! m
  • Options

Finally got to test out my Helmet Cam / Under water video camera. Today was tough! My legs had no mojo!!! after yesterday.....

• Options

Day 2: Weak showing today - a whopping 1.5 points.  On top of my legs being toast from yesterday's long ride, I had too much family stuff going on (including taking the kids to the beach...it was fricking HOT here today).  So, I only got 45' on the trainer.  I was hoping to do more FTP work but I just didn't have it.  I'm back on the road Monday with lots of climbing so hoping I can put up a better showing.  I have the fear of God in me going into ToC.

Still a few people to post but Halligan's in the lead!  You better turn on the burners tomorrow buddy...I'm coming after you.   Dress warmly - you'll need to be out in the cold for awhile! 

• Options
    Another vote for the "folks from the Frozen Tundra"!

If I remember correctly, the run challenge had extra love for time below zero...
  • Options

Hayes- that helmet video makes you look 7 feet tall!!!  Will it really work under water!?  COOOOOL!

OK, this picture just doesn't want to get posted!  I'm trying again.

• Options

Yup, i got the surf cam but also got the helmet mount!

http://www.goprocamera.com/

• Options

So much fun, everyone! I wasn't feeling the bike and bailed and did yoga.

• Options
    2 days down and 1 to go, yesterday managed the 4 hours in the basement-went with Monty Python marathon and today taught a 2 hour spin class, so I had some company. You all that are riding outside-lucky
    roll on
  • Options
    Posted By Hayes Sanborn on 14 Feb 2010 07:33 PM

Finally got to test out my Helmet Cam / Under water video camera. 

Brilliant!

I was ecstatic to finally get my bike outside for the first time in 2010.  Beautiful (but 20 degrees) day, great scenery, awesome training partner.  

Hoping to commute to work on my bike tomorrow, despite the forecast for snow...

I agree with the requests for extra points for riding in frigid temps!

• Options

Done....All three days, video on twitter. Did 30+ mins of Fight Club by thesufferfest.com it killed me. 

• Options

Done.  Toast.  Fried.

Day 3 - Friggin cold and windy.  Mid 30's but that windchill was nasty today.  I tried to do an hour at 95% but came up a bit short and did it at 91%.  1st 30' was 96% and I waned a bit after that.  Couldn't hold the intensity for the second 30'  My legs were feeling the cummulative fatigue, and I knew I had more riding to do.

I met up with another riding partner and we rode for about 45', split up and did the last 45' myself.  ABP was my goal and I was able to maintain 80% for 2hrs.

This was my mid winter riding camp.  I started early with a quick hour of power on Friday, then jumped into the challenge for a total of 4 straight days of riding outside in Feb.  Can't beat that. 

Dave