Home General Training Discussions
Options

Hoka One One

Comments

• Options
    @ Jeremy -- Ive started running in Newtons this year and love them -- It took awhile to ease into them but now I can do my long runs, speed work etc. with no calf issues. I also want to try the Hoka, but not sure I should just change shoes just because.

I also mix up a more traditional shoe -- Brooks Ravenna which has more drop and may be easier on the lower legs. I am not sure if I want to pick up some Hokas and try them? Run in the Ravennas for Ironman or run in Newtons because they are so light. Probably will decide after doing some of the race reharsals in different shoes.
    I can run in almost anything though and like to have lots of shoes in my arsenal.
  • Options
    Just ordered a pair of Cliftons. Really hoping I like them as much as the Bondi B's and Stinson lites. Wish I'd known the light and fluffy models were coming! Hope to run long in them Thursday and for the race rehearsal.

On my 18 mile run last week, I got heavy feet a bit at the end. Hoping the lighter shoes help!

• Options

@Jeremy and Mark- I have been a Newton Preacher for 5 years. Worn evry style and loved them. They were the shoe that got me running without pain. Then I tried the Bondi B a couple years ago and loved them. But I only ran in them for my recovery runs when I was running 6 days a week. Since Boston this year I have been in a running funk and not been comfortable running. I bought a pair of Hoka Stinsons and my running is back to where it was prepping for Boston. So comfortable, with the Newtons it would take a 1-2 miles to get my groove and start to hit my paces. With the Stinsons I am at pace before I hit 1/2 mile. I can run 6 days a week and feel fresh every morning because the lack of impact on my joints and feet. Spend the $$ and try a pair from Roadrunner.com if you don't like them send them back and buy a pair of Newtons. Nothing to loose.

• Options
    OK, ok, ok, i am starting think about the Hoka's... however, i have wider feet and they do not offer wider shoes like a 2E. Are other wide feeters ok with Hoka's? or do your baby toes get crushed?
  • Options

@Jonathan I have 2E's and have been running for a few months in Bondi 3's on the road and Mafate 3's on trails. At first the Bondi's were snug, like too snug to consider for long runs. I switched to very thin socks and ran anyway, as I wanted the cushioning. I forget when the snugness was no longer an issue but it isn't and I don't even think about it anymore. I've run up to 18 miles in the Bondi's. 

The Mafate's fit a bit better than the Bondi's out of the box, with the thin socks. While running they feel chunkier than the Bondi's but are fine width wise.    

• Options
    http://runblogger.com/2014/08/hoka-introduces-5-new-models-for-spring-2015-challenger-atr-constant-odyssey-valor-vanquish.html

Okay, I officially have Hoka fatigue and I am NOT buying all 5 of these new models so you are all on your own. I'm quite happy with my Stinson's or my Stinson Lite's for training and my Cliftons when I want to race (or feel like I'm cheating by having an easier time on my training runs).

Here is the JW summary of the new models if you're not interested in actually reading the article I linked to above:

Challenger ATR - Okay, I'll probably buy this one because it's basically the trail version of the Clifton
    Constant - Stable ride and widest fit in the lineup
    Odyssey - Lightweight road shoe (I don't know how it is different from the Clifton, but probably different drop if I were to guess)
    Valor - Ultra Sized midsole for likely the most cushioned Hoka yet
    Vanquish - Responsive performance road running shoe (looks like it's pretty close to the conquest, my guess is even less soft)
  • Options

Roadrunner Sports is having a flash 20% sale today, so I'll spring for the Cliftons to see if it makes any difference in thigh soreness in long runs. Should I be worried they are 0.2 oz heavier and 1 mm steeper drop than my Kinvaras? 

• Options
    Al-- I have not met one person who has tried the Clifton and it did not immediately turn into their favorite running shoe. FWIW, my ideal shoe would be the Clifton with 3-4 mm "more" drop
  • Options

Hey Guys, just thought I'd chime in here with a comment and question:   I've trained in and raced in Hoka Bondi B's earlier this year and wore them out.  Definitely a convert from my Kinvara's since I immediately felt the cushioning as a big plus and was much less beat up after long runs.  However, I just bought the Stinson ATR's from RoadRunner to replace the Bondi's and am not crazy about them so am going to return and try the Clifton's.  

Question - anyone have any experience with Altra's?  They are zero drop with the same EVO foam as Hoka and about the same weight.  I bought a discontinued 2013 or 2012 pair online from the Clymb or Active or someplace similar for $54! so thought they were worth a shot.  I think the model is Stinson.  Super Super comfortable and I think I might like them more than the Hoka's. Not as much cushioning so I have not done any really long runs in them (although i think I will try doing today's long run in them). Am thinking of buying the Olympus model which has the most cushioning in their line, again same weight as Bondi's and zero drop. 

• Options
    @Ken, I've tried the Altra, and loved them initially. However, after just a few weeks I had one helluva bout with Achilles tendonitis. Be VERY careful when transitioning to zero-drop. Do it slowly over time and be sure to strengthen the whole chain of muscles in the leg, Achilles all the way up through the glutes, or you'll hurt yourself.

Loved the big toe box on the Altras though.

I've gone full-Hoka since then.
  • Options
    So, i need some advice about my Hoka Cliftons. I have purchased them and i have ran 9 miles in them (two runs - 6 and 3). My issues:
    1) I need supportive shoes because i run like a duck.
    2) i do not own custom orthotics

So is it worth me getting a pair of custom orthotics so i can start running in Hoka's? I am not sure it is worth me doing this.... Thoughts?
  • Options
    Jonathon, I think a lot of us Hoka lovers are doing some of you a disservice and that some of you would be folks that need stability shoes. While the Hokas offer slightly more stability than a pure neutral shoe... they're still neutral shoes (see Dan Empfield's description of the Hoka's stability/neutrality for further clarification). The Cliftons are arguably their least stable shoe for weight savings reasons. I'm sure orthotics can be used but I'm not sure the tradeoff.

Hoka is coming out with a stability shoe for 2015 (the Constant). Maybe wait until that shoe becomes available???
  • Options
    I'd just like to add my own long-term review. I have been running in the Bondi 3's for three months now--almost my entire HIM build. Previous shoe was a saucony ride 5. The problem with them was when I'm on the high end of my weight (180), they really beat me up and I was having achilles, plantar, and similar issues. That has not been a problem with the bondi 3's.

Now, my goal is finishing, not a podium, and I don't think that would have been possible in a different shoe. Other models may save time. But I've been out on 2 hour runs and wanted to hug strangers--legs loose, no pain, and cracked up on endorphins. Love them.
  • Options

I have the Rapa Nui model.    Working great for long runs.    

historically I have used asics 2000 series.    and now mainly race and train in Zoots.       these are all great for me.

But I still plan on using Hokas for the long long runs.

I would like something cushier than the Rapa Nuis.                 What model should I get?

• Options

@ Jonathan - What Bob said!  Make no mistake even though Hoka's seem like they have a lot of mass, they are still pretty much a neutral shoe, especially the clifton.

@ Robin - I train in Bondi's and race in Clifton's.  Bondi's will give you a softer ride than than the rap a nui, but they may be a touch heavier.  I also like that the Bondi has 4-5mm of drop which seems to be just about the sweet spot for me.  Stinson's will also give you a softer ride than the rap a nui, but they have about a 6mm drop and are an ounce or 2 heavier than the bondi.  To me the stinsons feel "clunkier" than the bond's.  I ordered 3 different pairs (Bondi/Stinson/Conquest - I did not like the conquest at all) from running warehouse and ultimately ended up with the Bondi and then bought the Clifton's once they were available.  

• Options
    Ok, so i am selling my Hoka's... Why keep them. They are not pretty enough to wear around the neighborhood or out in public. I posted them on the Classifieds section if anyone is interested. I will post them on ebay in a few weeks if i get no bites here. Super sad because i so wanted them to work for me. They look so fun and i have only heard great things.
  • Options

For a number of reasons, I'm interested in trying a more cushioned running shoe. Notes:

• Midfoot or neutral foot strike. 
    • I need a 2E, as I have flat, flat flipper feeties and I use a rigid insert.
    • I have very loose ankles, from swimming, and my left is a noodle from many, many sprains several years ago. Nothing a while though (knock, knock)

So, what are your recommendations?

• Options
    thx mark.   bondis on the way.
  • Options

Posted By Rich Strauss on 27 Aug 2014 09:21 AM

For a number of reasons, I'm interested in trying a more cushioned running shoe. Notes:

• I need a 2E, as I have flat, flat flipper feeties and I use a rigid insert.
    • I have very loose ankles, from swimming, and my left is a noodle from many, many sprains several years ago. Nothing a while though (knock, knock)

So, what are your recommendations?

Hoka Bondi B3 should be your starting point.

• Options

Posted By Rich Strauss on 27 Aug 2014 09:21 AM

That ^^^ is one of the reasons I like the Bondi over the stinson.  I "feel" like i'm able to run with a more mid foot to neutral strike with the Bondi.  Could be in my head but i keep coming back to the Bondi because of the feel when i'm running even though the Stinson may offer a slightly softer ride.

• Options
    HOKA Super Sale going on now at Running Warehouse with select models up to 50% off! As a bonus, buy 2 or more pairs and receive an additional 20% off the price of the shoes.
    Shop Men's models: http://bit.ly/1wkNXNa
    Shop Women's models: http://bit.ly/ZGYFSi
  • Options

Posted By John Withrow on 22 Oct 2014 04:07 PM

HOKA Super Sale going on now at Running Warehouse with select models up to 50% off! As a bonus, buy 2 or more pairs and receive an additional 20% off the price of the shoes.

Shop Men's models: http://bit.ly/1wkNXNa

Shop Women's models: http://bit.ly/ZGYFSi

And I _just_ got a pair. Showed up yesterday, first run with them today 

• Options
    Have used (and love) the Bondi and the clifton (AKA, the "helium")....going to give the Stinson Tarmac a try image
  • Options
    Don't kill yourself, Rich. They didn't have your Bondi's. It was a few other models. The one I have used before called the Stimson they had a bunch of, but no Bondi's or Cliftons.
  • Options
    Thanks John, just ordered 2 pairs for $109!!!
  • Options

Hey Chris,

I've been in Hoka One One for over a year and they've helped tremendously with my back issues  (disc collapse between L-5 & S-1).  I wore the new Clifton model for IMWI last month...awesome shoe.

I believe you can use an EN code and order through Running Shoe Wherehouse.  If I'm correct it's 15% off with free shipping and 90 day risk free trial.  Better news is they are out of SLO so you can get them next day!

Dana

• Options

Posted By Coach Rich on 22 Oct 2014 04:08 PM
    And I _just_ got a pair. Showed up yesterday, first run with them today 

What's the verdict? I'm also a 2E and I'm looking for a new shoe. Newton discontinued my Sir Isaac Wide which means that they don't carry any wide width shoes. Since I'm a size 13 I haven't been able to find any place that still has them.

The Hokas are interesting but I'm skeptical because I'm a legit 2E.

• Options
    REI Outlet has the Conquest as the deal of the day for $68!
  • Options

Posted By Alan Brown on 27 Dec 2014 02:33 PM

Since I just paid $170 the day before I'm just going to assume that REI didn't have my size! 

• Options

Posted By Caleb Groom on 28 Dec 2014 07:49 PM

Posted By Alan Brown on 27 Dec 2014 02:33 PM

Since I just paid $170 the day before I'm just going to assume that REI didn't have my size! 

Probably the right attitude to adopt.