Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

IMTX April 22nd-28th

2»

Comments

• @Tim. Thats the plan but legs are pretty sore today so i may back off a little. either way, I cap my long runs at 2:30. All I know is this is the last long one
  • @Tim, definitely not going to stop you from enjoying a ride outside!

@JK, wow that's a fast pace! Good luck!

Feel a lot better than I did yesterday, but still had snot oozing out during the bike test. New numbers FTP = 282, VO2 = 345

• Long run done. Ran late due to work so had to cut short. Would have stopped it short as hamstrings were tight. 14 miles in 1:49 which included 1.5 @z1 and last 10 minutes @ z1.
  • Sorry that was 1:47
  • Dreams of ducking out of work at lunch for a 4 hour ride were crushed by annoying data requests from the budget folks. Ended up turning into a mad car ride to the pool to get 30 minutes before afternoon swim lessons eat up the lanes. Decided to hit a 1k TT to see where I'm at. 1k in 15:49, good for a 20 second best from the last one about a month and a half ago.

Good luck with everyone's long run and other workouts.
  • Good Lord let me please hold it together for another 4 weeks! Think I better schedule a long prayer at church on Sunday's for the next few weeks

FF 14 today finished in 1:45 (7:33 avg) with the back 7 (7:38,7:13,7:24,7:13,7:17,7:10,7:07)..a beautiful nite and just feeling great.

• Nice run Joe. I'm just trying to get through the next 3 weeks without doing something stupid and hurting myself. Can't believe it's that close
  • Long run this morning. 15 minutes in the pavement jumped up and tripped me. Went down pretty hard. Got up, finished out the 2.5 hours, got on 7 am conference call, then into office. Definitely ready for taper.
  • Holy Schmoly John...what time did you get up for the run!...you and Roy lovin' those early morning runs...will be good practice for the whole race day routine!...Nice Work.

@John K - I hear ya...thats what I'm sayin' about prayin'...I feel like I'm just waitin' for a.) the fatigue bomb to drop on me really hard or b.) I do something really stoopid....lets get to the start line now as healthy as possible!

• @JP you were done before I even got outa bed!

@JK and JL smoking runs

@ROY nice swim improvements ... hoping your training schedule or work schedule start to co-operate with your plans

@Ryan congrats on your new FTP numbers woohoo

4500yds done in 1:20 with 9 x 500 .... wasnt feeling it today, a bit fatigued and my times dropped off as I progressed , pushed it for the last one and brought it back down a little but perceived effort was pretty high... still a good swim and happy.... big weekend coming up will wrap up the biggest volume week for IMTX..
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/303452513
  • @Tim - I wish I could do that workout "not feelin' it"...Nice work.

3200 for me this AM 800 wup/3x400 /3x200/3x100/3x50 ...everything at T-3-5' except the 50's which were 90-95% effort....

Think this will be a Swim Only Day...nice weather weekend ahead...

• 3:30 am.  Have the slate everything to early in the day.  CC calls with Europe start at 7 am, then I am lucky to get back home from work in the evening by 7:30 or 8., eat, take care of the dogs and actually see Penny.  I had to move my regular runs to over lunch to be able to get up and swim in the morning.  12 weeks of this is about all I can stand.  

• @Tim, I too will take that 'off' day swimming session.

Light swim day yesterday and a new pair of shoes made today's run pretty nice. 7.6 miles in 57 minutes with 3x1 miles @ TP. No swim today as the wife is out of town but hoping to get some time on the trainer tomorrow afternoon/evening.

TGIF everyone and good luck this weekend with whatever you have going! Make sure you get your pics/bios in to Brenda.
  • Finished long ride. 4.5 hours on the IM TX course. Weather was perfect. Temps in the 70s, wind started out of the E/SE and then swung to W/SW for the last 2 hours. Had cloud cover the whole way. The course was blinding fast today. Sorry IMTX peeps, I may have just used up your dream day.
  • Thanks for warming up the course for us John!

70miles/3:40/19mph/171np/.81IF/135avg HR......It was a nice day but I overdressed and then I overcooked a bit today...I felt a bit worked...drank 3 bottles and lost 5lbs....followed up with 4miles @8:06 avg.....def. tired today.

• Big Day today... with my last IMTX RR 112.3 bike and 7.4 run.... very pleased specially since its my 2nd ride outside this year...... was cool , dry , light winds , smooth pavement , NH flat (not TX flat), out a back course (Timberman 70.3 easy section) no turns , IOW perfect conditions.....

I had replaced my chain a week ago , did 1 trainer ride, took out another link, 1 more trainer ride , then an hour outside ride, today I had my middle gears skipping around on me , need to remove another link, wierd how this didnt happen in my last two rides... glad I am figuring this out now....other than that minor nagging mechanical all day everything went very well , nutrition , etc, I think those long trainer rides are paying off...BUT the lower back needs more time in the saddle , it started to get to me a few times and the short potty breaks and refuel breaks were enough to calm the back issues, of course this is not possible in an IM ride ONE must keep moving... I also believe those micro breaks allow to keep on target watts easier... I think in a real world race they maybe a little lower but I should make up the time with legal drafting, disc wheel , more aero clothes etc....

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/304165022 the ride
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/304163310# the run

I'm feeling ready , just need to acclimate to that TX heat/humidity....

JP and JL sounds like some nice rides in your parts of the country as well....

Hope everyone else had a great day training!
  • Great rides everyone! Looks like we're getting outside now.

Wife made it home early so I snuck out and got in 3 hours outside before it got too dark. 3:05 at 0.8 with 240 NP. Instead of going work/rest I just decided to run 15 minute lap intervals on a target of 220-230 and drop some soft-peddle when the lap NP got big. Worked out well.

Not too much longer now. Keep after it!
  • For any of the IM TX peeps riding the course next saturday, be aware that CB&I tri will be going on so the park will be closed in the mornign. I an leaving from Luke's Locker and riding out Research Forest to avoid the mess.
  • What a difference a day and some sleep make in RPE....55mi/2:50/168NP/.80IF...but hillier ride, lower VI, Lower HR, similar hydration but weight loss was less signficant (+3 fluids - 3 lost v. yesterday +3 fluids - 8 for net 5 loss).....I did dress a bit more appropriately today..but still ...

Anyway...Big Week ...final RR comin' up...and I'm toying with trying to ride a slightly higher target power based on my first RR and my riding overall....? thoughts on this?  

The other thing I have been seriously considering is actually changing into running shorts for the run leg...certainly cooler and comfortable........In my first IM in Louisville 2011 I made 3 full changes...speedsuit...to full bike kit (bibs)...to tri kit......Last year I had only one "change" which was out of my speedsuit in T1...the rest of the day was in DeSoto Tri shorts and EN Tri-top.....this year...thinking...out of speedsuit in T1 - EN TriTop and Desoto Shorts will be underneath-...then in T2 - strip of DeSoto shorts and fly on Running shorts...I think the swap time will be negligable v comfort gain...Thoughts?

10-4...Roger Wilco....Over and Out

• @JP Thanks for an update on the course. I do plan on riding most of it on next Saturday but planned on skipping the first and last 10 miles..... Do you think that will keep me out of the mess?

@JL if you happy with your first RR then you always have that one to fall back on... I see no reason to push a little more if you feel comfortable... RR # 2 also serves as a confidence booster so if you blow it ??? Will it destroy your confidence or will you be able to easily fall back on your RR #1? As far as changing goes... Yep more comfortable... Yep only takes a few seconds... I personally am not willing to give up a few seconds!

MY plan today was a 2 hour run on the track...flat , forgiving surface, car with nutrition all convenient.... Got to the track and closed for maintenance... Good thing I had my hydration belt, parked the car and ran from there...... Made a cool design by accident on my run map but I did a monster hill that I had not planned on....
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/304598441

Today wraps up my biggest week for this training cycle... Its all downhill now.... 12,850 yds in the pool , 9:38 on the bike , 39.13 miles running , and a TSS of 1255...
  • @Tom Glynn... You been really quiet.... But I know your out there... I went over the competitors list in our AG and found the winner from last year 9:43 is returning this year... Didnt recognize anyone else... Have you gone over that? Any guesses as to how many slots will be available M 50-54? Hope the training has gone well and look forward to meeting you in TX... I leave next weds
  • @Joe, a few thoughts: 1) After RR1, do you think you left anything on the table? Has the time between then and now shown something in your training that is new? If you have serious doubts, now is the time to try (as opposed to race day), just make sure you are upping the target for a specific reason. 2) Change - specifically shorts - I've run in running shorts and I've run in tri-shorts. I changed into running shorts at Coeur D'Alene and was comfortable. However, in Louisville, I stayed in tri-shorts because they were a part of my cooling plan. Ice down the shorts every aid station. That wouldn't work with running shorts as the ice would just fall out of the lining. I'm planning the same thing (tri-shorts) for the same reasons for Texas.

Hope this helps. As always, YMMV.
  • 3:32 outdoor @ 0.78/234 NP. Lot of folks out on the loop today, gave me some good motivation to push at times. Felt good.

Three weeks to go. Its getting real.
  • @Tim - That should put you out of the mess.  A suggestion for starting the ride.  You might ride out of Magnolia High School. It is at the corner of 149 and 1488.  What this does is allows you to ride the course, but you ride through the busy section of the roads early before the people in the woodlands get on the road.  Round trip is around 85 miles I think.  Otherwise most people start at the Kroger at 1488 and 2978 (Same Distance).

For water stops you will probably want to stop in Richards (the second store you pass not the first) and Dobbins (1486 at 105).  It's late in the ride, but lets you top off.

• @Tim,

have been busy and haven't spent much time on the EN boards unfortunately. Hadn't looked up my competitors yet...thanks for the info image

Last year there were 3 slots awarded in the 50-54 age group and I expect the same this year. I suspect the three slots will all be under 10 hours. Hoping to go faster than my last year's 10:37, but sub 10 is out of the question!
  • Non training day. Wife's birthday so spent day with her and the kids. Last long week coming up and then taper time. Funny thing is last year legs were much more fatigued and tight compared to this year. Felt like always racing on tired legs
  • @JP 85-90 miles is perfect for next Saturday... Thanks for the tips on where to start... will check em out on a pre-drive and make my plan from there... I'm staying at Extended Stay just a couple miles south of Woodlands what would you recommend for pools? I saw several YMCA's around . Can you recommend one over the other or is there a better choice? Thanks Tim,

@Tom ... Yeah last year 2 guys went 9:43 and 9:44 but then the times dropped off fast from there.... Its all who shows up and even then its never a done deal... Last year at IMMT I was all worried about this guy Barry Dimitruk aka The KONA Express on ST... He was the least of my worries and ended up having a bad race (injury I think) it was the other 15 guys I needed to worry about LOL.... All we can do is race to our potential and let the cards fall where they may... Nice to hear 3 slots though!
  • Took my bike into my LBS to get repaired after riding yesterday. Only went 65 miles keeping steady watts with all kinks of winds and frequent road direction checks. Road home with the cable fairing out which made shifting a little difficult, left ceramic bearings in bottom bracket sounding like the crank was rubbing against my frame, and the bearings maybe bad in my PT wheel. Better to get this straightened out before next Sat. RR. I was planning on getting a pre-race tune-up anyway. Looking forward in meet you guys in a couple of weeks.
  • @Tim, Sorry, I don't have any intelligence on pools up there.  I will see if some of my friends know anything.