Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Official IMRacine 70.3 Sign In Thread

Welcome to the Ironman Racine 70.3 Sign In Thread!

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow teammates, telling us a little bit about you, your goals for the race, etc!

Comments

• Options

Hi...Bruce Thompson here.  I live in northern IL so Racine is only 50 minute drive so I guess that makes me a "local".   Racine is a nice course, but it can get hot and humid.  The swim in Lake Michigan is a beach start so you actually run about 25 meters into the water that is ankle/knee deep then begin to swim.  You swim about 200 meters out to the first buoy, make a right turn and swim parallel to the beach for 1500m. The water here is about 8-10 feet deep and you can see the bottom.  You are also far enough out from the beach that you are beyond any breaking waves, but you need to be ready for rolling waves coming  from your left. Another right turn heads you back to the beach to the swim out. The water temp is usually high 60s to low 70s..just about perfect for a wetsuit.  The waves all depend on the wind that day...could be smooth as glass or 3' waves crashing on the beach.  The run to transition is rather long maybe 250 meters.  Transition is in a large asphault parking lot.

The bike course starts with a short but very steep hill literally just beyond the mount line so make sure you rack your bike in your climbing gear. You will see people who are grinding up this hill out of the saddle b/c they are in the wrong gear. The rest of the bike course is relatively flat with a few gradual climbs, but nothing like the hills @ IMWI.  You can just get aero, and crank out you watts at a steady pace.  The course turns a lot so you will have the prevailing western wind in your face, as a cross wind, and behind you during different parts of the race.  At the very end of the bike course you come down the same very steep hill you climbed at the start.  Beware - the dismount line is right at the bottom of this hill, and lots of people crash each year trying to stop.  Just slow down before you descend this hill and take it easy b/c you might have other riders with dismount problems right in front of you. You might give up 3-4 seconds but IMO it is better to be safe here. 

The run course is a double loop out & back.  Pretty flat...just one hill (from the beach up to the bluff) per loop. But there is NO shade anywhere on this course so be ready to get baked if it is hot and sunny.  The finishing chute is great since there is a nice hill on the right side  of the chute that serves like a grandstand.  It gets packed with people.  The side of this hill is a good place for an EN tent or banner to serve as a meeting point.  Other tri clubs set up shop here too.

This will be my 2nd time racing Racine 70.3.  Last year it was 75*F at the start of the swim & 94*F by the run.   I finished in 5:15 and got 2nd in the M 55-59 AG.  I'd love to break 5 hours this year, but it all depends on the weather.

• Options
    Hi. I am doing Racine for my first HIM. I live in Northern Il also so Racine is fairly local.

My goal for the race is to finish and not have to walk much. I really dont know a time but under 6:30 for sure.
  • Options
    Hi all - Racine will be my second go-around with this course - last time it was almost 100 on the run.  Bruce captured the course well!  Just one comment on the "tour" of the zoo - you'll see the back end of a few buildings!    I'm in Madison, WI.
  • Options
    Yo Yo peeps....reporting from Altoona, Iowa. Where the wind and winter may never end. Looking forward to taking on Racine. Just looking to finish and better my last 70.3 time even if its by one second.

See you in July!!!!
  • Options
    Greetings....this will be my fourth time at Racine. The short trip from Chicago and timing with IMWI makes it a good fit and fun race. See everyone in July!
  • Options

Hi All,

I'm a first-year EN member and this will be my first Racine 70.3 as I train for my first IM at WI.  I live in Iowa City, IA.  Bruce - thanks for the course/event overview -- it was really helpful.  Quick question ... is the wind bad enuf to avoid using a disk wheel.  Just curious if you see them historically knowing it all depends on day-of conditions.

Chad

• Options

@ Chad... welcome to EN.

It really depends on the wind on race day.  I saw lots of disk wheels last year. If you are training with a disk on windy days in Iowa, you probably won't have a problem.  If you haven't been training with the disk in the wind, I'd be reluctant to advise you to try it on race day.

• Options

Thanks Bruce.  I haven't been out with the disk yet so I'll make sure i get some miles in beforehand to feel comfortable or go without!

• Options
    Hi All, This will be my second go around at Racine. Bruce pretty much nailed the course, but I could add to by pass the strippers. Nothing like lying rolling around in the sand in wet clothes. Hopefully it will be cooler this year. I'm from Madison, WI. Looking forward to meeting and seeing everyone again.
  • Options

Hey Racine Group,

After spending all last season on the sideline with some terrible plantar fasciitis, excited to be racing again.  Just picked this race at random because my goal is never to do the same race twice!

Bruce, thanks for the heads up on the course!

• Options

Hello folks, I am doing Racine for the second time, thisa is also my second year training with EN, however, had some complications (Plantar F...) last season, feeling much better, but have not run so much to heal that. I am hoping for the same lake conditions as last year, and a bit cooler temps. Last year I missed the group pics, so I told Brenda I would be the race captain this year...maybe I'll get in the picture this time. Can anyone let me know where you folks ate last year, was it dinner or lunch? What would you like to do, I personally would prefer lunch so I don't eat too much at night.

Niels Heemskerk

My cell phone is 630-802-1724.

• Options
    Sorry..I forgot to put my goal down, even though I would like to beat Bruce, I think I am better off trying to get below 6 hours, very slow indeed.

Niels
  • Options

I'll be there to coach and support the team! Looking forward to it!

• Options
    Anthony Ross, racing Racine for the second time like many of you. Of all the half IMs I have done Racine has one of the best layouts for transition and fully stocked portojohns. The swim is always chilly, no matter how hot the wi summer is. Full sleeved is your friend. Bike is flat so get ready to get down n dirty in aero and be prepared for the thump thump thump of the concrete slabs on the way in to t2. Run is flat, lots of aid stations and lots of spectators hosing people down. Be prepared for soggy shoes.

A post race dip in Lake MI is a great way to cool and clean off or you can take my cue and dunk yourself Ina barrel of Leinenkugels.
  • Options
    Folks, where did you all meet for lunch or dinner last year, was it good enough for a repeat? Or do we want to find something different?
  • Options
    The dinner last year was at Mangia Trattoria in Kenosha. It is a good location b/c In the direction of Chicago for those who come up for bike check but plan to go home to Chicago for the night. Rich and Brenda have all the info from me with logistics tips, etc.

I'd love to join you all this year but my wife is due shortly with #3 so I just can't make it happen. Perhaps I can make it to dinner...let me know when you plan to do it. Racine is a fast course and great for getting a PB.

Cheers,
    Matt
  • Options
    Matt, congratulations on number 3, and thanks for the recommendation, I will work with Brenda to finalize a spot, do hope you'll be able to join us.

Niels

• Options
    Hi folks. Racine is my A race this year but I have had plantar fasciitis since March 10th. I did a sprint in April and an Olympic in June on it but not much else. It is healing, but slowly. I have been an EN member since 2010 and did IM Louisville in '10 and '11. I did the very hot 70.3 Muncie last year. My wife and I will be coming over from Holland, MI on the Lake Express. I am a start-up CFO for a technology company there after 22 years at P&G in Cincinnati. We still live in Cincinnati and I commute up every week. I look forward to meeting you and to an enjoyable weekend!
  • Options
    I'm totally new to EN (here on a trial) and this will be my first half. I'm from Racine and train on the course. 5 mile road is horrible, be prepared for a really ugly ride on that part of the bike, or at least I felt like it was. The lake is cold this year, I feel like its colder than usual, I was in it this past weekend and it felt like ice water to me. I just want to finish, I have no time goals, just finish the race. I have worked up to this distance with doing a Sprint and an Olympic on part of IMWI course in June, so I am a newbie but at least this is not my first ever triathlon. I'm still kinda anxious but I think it will be fun. Peace!
  • Options

Gretchen: Great to have you on board, I agree with 5 mile road, it hurts when you are in the aerobars, but as many have pointed out, the folks in Racine are soo nice that you forget all about that. Enjoy your first HIM, hope you can join us for lunch in Kenosha on Saturday

• Options

Thanks Niels! Can you tell me when and where the lunch is on Saturday? I will try to make it. 

• Options
    I am new here as well checking it out on the trial though fully expect to become a full member. Racine will be my first HIM and am excited about it. I hope to meet you all while I am there.
  • Options

Julie: Welcome to the house, come join us for lunch on Saturday at 1PM at Mangia Trattoria in Kenosha, here is the sign-up form so you'll get on the master list for the race:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...yenc#gid=0

• Options

Gretchen the lunch is at Mangia Trattoria in Kenosha at 1 PM, please enter your name on this list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...yenc#gid=0

Niels

• Options

Bruce:

hope you enjoy EN, come join us for lunch at Mangia Trattoria in Kenosha on Saturday at 1 PM, and also sign yourself up on the list for the race, that way you'll get all the news.: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...yenc#gid=0

• Options
    Done and done! I am in for lunch and look forward to meeting you all. Now I have to finish prepping for the Lifetime MPLS Oly I am doing in the morning.
  • Options
    Chad, welcome, i did not see a lot of disk wheels last year, and there was hardly any wind. Come join us for lunch on Saturday in Kenosha at Tratorria Mangia it's at 1 pm.
  • Options

Hello All,

Joe Motz here Cincinnati Ohio. I too am a newbie to both HIM and IM's as well as to EN (joined Oct 2012 to assist in training for IMOO0 Been great really appreciate all the helpful mojo from you vets and well as the mutual transparency shown all the way around. Sorry thought I had signed in sometime back from my phone on this thread but can't find it-again a green horn.

Bruce your write up was especially helpful with course details. Really glad your going to be there to glean more info from other than you are in my age group Will say hey prior as I know I won't see you again after the gun goes off. Questions 

1)on the transitions: are they in a tent separate from the bike rack or should I plan on all at the rack for swim to bike and bike to run similar to a Oly? 

2)Self strip of wetsuit or are there assistants?

3) Thanks for advice on wheel covers-was going to rent but I'm now thinking not: have never rode with covers and don't know wind. Wanted to as a test for Wis. Same question on areo helmet-worth it or not at this stage?

Thanks all I'm jacked up to see where I stackup with this race as I assume it will provide a gauge on IMoo. Neil I believe I'm signed up for both lunch and dinner on Sat- look forward to meeting all. 

Joe

• Options

Joe - There is no tent for transitions.  it is just a parking lot.  Transition is just like an Oly.  Rack your bike and have all your gear there.

Yes , they have wetsuit strippers and a few small plastic baby pools on the way to transition so you can step in them to get the sand off your feet.

The areo helmet is this biggest speed bang for your buck.  Get that before a wheel cover, especially if you haven't ridden with a wheel cover before.  Don't try it in a race for the first time.

One other thing about the course.  You have to walk almost a mile north from transition to the swim start.  Some people walk barefoot, but I don't.  You may want to bring a very old pair of flip flops or even running shoes that you discard at the swim start.  The pavement and sand can get hot and hard even in the early am.

Look forward to meeting you.

• Options
    Hi Team-

4 days before race- Latest intro ever? Doing Racine for second time, gunning for course revenge from 2010.

Looking forward to letting it rip. Good luck to everyone.

2013- Leons; Racine 70.3; IMWI