Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

IMLou wko thread, 03-09 June

All right all you Louisville peeps, its go time.  Lets get those engines firing.  Rain here in NOVA so it looks like a treadmill run for me today.  Hoping to get into the pool this afternoon.  How about you?  

Comments

• Options

Great day here. My pool this A.M. was smooth as glass.  Have to be in Houston this evening so its lunch run for me. Everyone have a great day..

• Options
    Color me jealous, Danny!

Found a break in the rain today and got outside for my hill run. 5.4 in ~42 with a good bit of climbing. Got some good heat and humidity in as well so that was fun.

Get after it everyone!
  • Options

Lunch run in the books. 60 min  15' WU Z1. 4*30" 5K pace. 12' 3.8% grade @ Z4. Z2 remainder of time.81 degrees, 55% Humidity. Sunny and nooooo wind.  Ran Kisatchie National Forest.  TSS IF score @ .72

• Options
    Swim workout done as assigned. I'm pretty smoked right now. Great way to start!
  • Options

Here we go!  Got today's swim in the books this AM. Followed it by an aquajog instead of outside run to prevent fatigue build-up, plus swim+run days are hard for me logistically.  

• Options

Some lady on the pool deck asked if I was there for the water aerobics class - really, I'm 31! No, I'm here to do some lap swimming even if I'm slow and probably look like I'm trying to kill animals while "sprinting". haha Really enjoyed the workout to stretch out after last weekend's 70.3. Legs are stiff and sore, knees are a little angry. ice ice ice

• Options
    @Stacey, I'm in the same boat with the swimming. Yesterday, during my "sprint" work, I had 10-12 year olds on the local swim team keeping pace with me while doing the backstroke.
  • Options
    Swim in the bag. Uggg I hate pools. But in Houston and had to make due at the Y. How do 70+ ladies swim so fast was my thought for this work out. Oh well I'll call it wisdom... Oh did I mention how motivated I was by the sight of the Hotel treadmill? Makes me look forward to my run tonight......Hammer On!
  • Options
    Danny - you're a beast for doing swim AM and run PM. Me, if I don't get it all done in the AM, it doesn't happen. Makes for a pretty hectic morning on swim+run days, which unfortunately negatively affects my run, but I'm worried if I shift run to the PM, it'l negatively affect Wednesday AM bike. Sigh...
  • Options
    First hard run since Texas. Felt ok, but definitely no kick towards the end of the sets. 2x1.5 got dialed down to 2x 0.5 and 2x1 mile. All intervals done a tad hot of TP. Total of just shy of 8 miles. Swim may or may not happen tonight due to family commitments.

Keep on it everyone!
  • Options
    Kate- I am a P.M. 'er given the choice and for sure little gap between run/bike/swim if possible. WIth the adventures of business travel I just try and work it in. I did start doing the lunchtime gig to keep the nights from going so late and have come to like it.  Especially when I got off the total milage workouts and moved to time.  I combinne that and a gallon or so of coffee and it works great....  I wonder if you could wire one of those Kurig coffee makers into your car?
  • Options
    1:42 on the bike today with work intervals of 10/20/15. Don't have the exact NP (until I download tonight) but the garmin showed a ride IF of 0.86. Good work!

Keep on the gas everyone (and let us know how its going)!
  • Options

Hoping that since I live in South Alabama.. the 100% humidity and hot temps are preparing my training partner Rickie and I for IM LOU!!

I have nightmares about the hills... but from what I have read and heard from those who have done it... a great venue and a great ride!

challenging...but fun.. Hope you are all doing well.. seems not far off for us!!

• Options
    Roy... I enjoy your posts!! Keep um going!!
  • Options

Welcome Kristan.

Lots of EN peeps have Louisville race reports up.  If you get some time, search through here and you can see what other folks thought about the course/venue.  http://members.endurancenation.us/F...fault.aspx  Personally, I love it!

• Options
    3k yards done in the pool tonight. As I had just finished dinner, decided to not go with the sprints and instead hit w/u, 10x100, 5x200, some breast 100's thrown in every now and then, and a cool down.

Good luck with everyone's long run tomorrow!
  • Options
    Bike workout [check]. 1:59:32 Intervals included. 6*3', 1*6', 1*12', 1*18' Remainder Z2. TSS=174, IF=.94.  Hope everyone had a great training day....
  • Options
    @Danny, 0.94 for a two hour ride, I smell a large FTP bump for you.
  • Options
    Long run done. First long run since Kinetic HIM some 3-4 weeks ago. Legs a bit tired from yesterday, but I did ok, picking up the tempo in the second half. Pretty happy w/ how it went. Will take rest day tomorrow image
  • Options
    Roy, I just read your IMLOU report from 2012. Thank you for all the details.. I felt like I was right next to you. I am not "worried" about the heat at this point.. since that's all I will train in. Your report made me feel better about the bike course. I totally understand your point about talking yourself into a dark place.. I do it too, but now what I have found is I immediately think of the innocent victims in Boston who lost limbs.. and I do it for them. That really hits me hard!
    Thank you for all the time you put into your report! I look forward to meeting you in August! War Eagle!!
    kc

• Options
    @Kate, nice work on the negative split. Impressive given our weather right now.

@Kristan, War D@&* Eagle right back at ya!

13.2 in 1:42 at lunch today, with gels at 4 and 8. I didn't do great with the hydration, only taking two cups at ~ 9 miles. Need to ensure I do better than that next time. I'm adjusting the long runs to a straight steady pace run instead of the assigned intervals this cycle. Personally, in my build for Texas, I didn't feel the intervals inside the long run were ideal for me because I was having to slow down way too much during the recovery phases. So I'm testing this protocol out to see how that pans out come August.

Good luck every body and keep those posts coming.
  • Options

@Roy  Great workout!!  I experience the same issues with recovery time between intervals as well.  I have discovered that even though it does blow up my run for that day. My regular run (no intervals) is much more efficient and lower HR.  Training my body to maintain its form while putting out more has seemed to help me at lower pace.  I look forward to see how your approach works for you.  Rain/Lightning here most day so far. Moving my run till this evening.....

• Options
    Rained all day and evening. Had to adjust daily workout.  Manage to work in OWS of 1.2 miles between rain fronts then headed home for Computrainer ErgVideo session @ 90min.  TSS=105, IF=.79.  Will work in the long run tomorrow early A.M., or Kyak if its still raining.  Rest well everyone...
  • Options
    Whoo Hooo  My day is done. Made up my long run this A.M.  1:47:42 1*10'/Z1, 2*10'/Z4 @4', Remainder Z2.  IF @ .75 hrTSS @115. Its Tulsa Tough Weekend. World Class Crits for three days.  All the big boys and girls are in town.  If you have a big head it only takes about 30" around these folks to realize how little talent you really have.  Oh well Sam Adams will be there to cheer me up.  Enjoy the weekend. Ohh and with all this war eagle bologna going on I thought I would add in a BOOOOOMER SOOOOOONER!!!!!
  • Options
    Nice work on the long run Danny. As long as you are living in Louisiana and are not sounding the call for LSU, its all good!

Got 4k yards in the pool this afternoon with a mix of 1/2/3/4 hundreds. One of the goals for me this build is 10k (minimum) a week in the pool, split among three swims. 1st week good! In the past, I think I have underestimated the physical cost of the IM swim on the eventual outcome of the day. Regardless of the advertised "felt fresh" that a lot of peeps give after the swim, 2.4 miles of swimming is still 2.4 miles of swimming and I believe it takes some juice out of the rest of the day.

Get after those rides this weekend and make sure you let us know how they went!
  • Options

Had a great swim this evening! Pool was just the right temp, workout was just the right mix of hard and easy. Dare I say I'm starting to like swimming  Have taken this week off after 70.3 last weekend. My (self) coach failed me with Mt Mitchell, Horsey Hundred, and 70.3 on consecutive weekends. Left knee let me know that was a mistake. Have taken this week completely off running and biking. Tried a run last night but it was still no-go (quads, not knee). Will do some low watts on the bike tomorrow morning and do small loops close to the car so I can quit before things get out of hand. No worries - I'll get everything put back together here in a couple days and will hit the workouts prescribed, hopefully by mid-way through next week.

• Options
    Listen to your body Stacey and don't try to come back too soon. We/IMLou/the plan isn't going anywhere image

Ran first today, 4 miles in 30 minutes, started at EP and then built the speed up on the way back. Cut the bike short today at 3 hours (I have a bike fit this afternoon). Got the assigned 4x25 in at 0.77 each. Pushed the last 30 minutes pretty hard and ended up with a total ride IF of 0.77 (broken record, I know). Last 45 minutes spent with some liquid sunshine coming down. It actually felt good.

Good luck everyone. Replacing tomorrow's work with a 1 hour team ride to hook up with some local EN peeps. Should be fun!
  • Options
    Long bike + t-run in the books. I definitely got the 'go harder than during IM' part right, the 'smooth and steady' part not so much: 2,700 feet of up and down didn't allow for 'steady' - and, ok, I'll admit, I just felt like going hard and being bad for a while... Was a great ride though. I wonder what tomorrow will bring...

On a different note: I downloaded the IMLOU course talk and started listening to it last night. I'm not done yet, but there's some really good stuff in there. I highly recommend it. Happy training everyone image
  • Options

Saturday in the books.  30' Run @z2 .75 IF.  Decided in place of intervals on the bike I would take to the hills.  4:07:00 total time @ .76 IF.  Nice day temp wise but the wind was brutal.  Sustained 20 mph out of the south.  Felt really good today, hope I have some left for tomorrow.  Have a great evening everyone,  

• Options

Saturday in the books.  30' Run @z2 .75 IF.  Decided in place of intervals on the bike I would take to the hills.  4:07:00 total time @ .76 IF.  Nice day temp wise but the wind was brutal.  Sustained 20 mph out of the south.  Felt really good today, hope I have some left for tomorrow.  Have a great evening everyone,