Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Official IMLake Placid Race Day Thread

2»

Comments

• Options

Some quick notes, much more later:

• The new swim format got everyone in the water within 16', PnI were timing it. That said, it probably made for a much rougher swim for the fast AG'ers, as they were going through a lot more lapped traffic vs the mass start. Still, all about whatever makes the swim safer.
    • The new format makes it a bitch to track people / tell people how their doing on race day. It was made harder by the cell towers just being crushed all weekend -- 4-5 bars but pages would just spin, all weekend. I think for IMWI, when PnI will next be on the ground, we'll need to fire up a squad of virtual spotters (you) who send us text updates that we can then pass on to the athletes.
    • I jumped on Kori's husband's mtn bike and tried to track down the races for Teri, Kori, and Jon. These three were putting themselves DEEP into the hurt locker! 
    • I was soooooo glad that I didn't get it wrong for Teri when I told her she was in 1st place! 
  • Options

Posted By Rich Strauss on 31 Jul 2013 06:32 AM

• The new format makes it a bitch to track people / tell people how their doing on race day. It was made harder by the cell towers just being crushed all weekend -- 4-5 bars but pages would just spin, all weekend. I think for IMWI, when PnI will next be on the ground, we'll need to fire up a squad of virtual spotters (you) who send us text updates that we can then pass on to the athletes.
    • I was soooooo glad that I didn't get it wrong for Teri when I told her she was in 1st place! 

Can't have both these things happening at the same time---if you want virtual spotters, then you'll have to trust your intel (wow, that sounds like I'm talking to a military guy)

• Options

Posted By Keith Wick on 31 Jul 2013 09:09 AM

Posted By Rich Strauss on 31 Jul 2013 06:32 AM

Can't have both these things happening at the same time---if you want virtual spotters, then you'll have to trust your intel (wow, that sounds like I'm talking to a military guy)

Sorry! I was doubting it because I was getting contradictory texts: Michele Moreno was using IronTracker, I think, and said Teri was in 3rd. Someone else (you?) said she was in 1st. At that point she was about 3 miles from the finish and none of that really mattered at that point. I told her to just bury herself and get it done. 

But I was afraid she'd be disappointed, after being told 1st when she was actually 3rd...if that had been the case. 

Anyway...all I know is I had a BITCH of a time finding the 1st and 2nd place gals. 

• Options
    I totally volunteer to be a virtual spotter for IMWisco. I feel the need to "give back" after watching y'all kill yourselves to hunt us down, track where we were, and push our asses home. I will clear my schedule and park myself in front of the computer to text updates as needed. Keep it in mind.
    Oh, and if you need me to send Eric to Wisco with a bike and a spare phone, I can do that, too. It's only a 5.5 hour drive for us.
    HAHAHAAAA!!!!!!
  • Options

Posted By Rich Strauss on 31 Jul 2013 09:15 AM

Sorry! I was doubting it because I was getting contradictory texts: Michele Moreno was using IronTracker, I think, and said Teri was in 3rd. Someone else (you?) said she was in 1st. At that point she was about 3 miles from the finish and none of that really mattered at that point. I told her to just bury herself and get it done. 

But I was afraid she'd be disappointed, after being told 1st when she was actually 3rd...if that had been the case. 

Anyway...all I know is I had a BITCH of a time finding the 1st and 2nd place gals. 

In tracking it, here is my observations in using the irontracker site:

- the place listing does not change when an athlete registers a split time in any discipline (swim, bike, run) until that discipline has been completely finished by the athlete.  For example, in tracking Teri, she was 3rd throughout the entire run because she was in 3rd when the run STARTED.  Doesn't matter that she passed people and her clock time/split time showed she passed someone. By looking at her clock time, you can determine what place she's in, although in order to do this you need to click on the other athletes in the tracker that are in front/behind her to compare these numbers. (see below)

- it will be very important for people tracking online to pay attention to the clock time at each split as this appears to take into account the different start times of each athlete.  This way, they can know they are in the lead, even though an athlete in their age group is still ahead of them on the road.  For example, if athlete EN is 8 minutes behind athlete IM on the road, but started in the 3rd swim wave vs. IM who started in the 1st swim wave (10 minute swim wave difference), then EN is in the lead by 2 minutes.

• Options

Posted By Keith Wick on 31 Jul 2013 02:01 PM

Posted By Rich Strauss on 31 Jul 2013 09:15 AM

In tracking it, here is my observations in using the irontracker site:

- the place listing does not change when an athlete registers a split time in any discipline (swim, bike, run) until that discipline has been completely finished by the athlete.  For example, in tracking Teri, she was 3rd throughout the entire run because she was in 3rd when the run STARTED.  Doesn't matter that she passed people and her clock time/split time showed she passed someone. By looking at her clock time, you can determine what place she's in, although in order to do this you need to click on the other athletes in the tracker that are in front/behind her to compare these numbers. (see below)

- it will be very important for people tracking online to pay attention to the clock time at each split as this appears to take into account the different start times of each athlete.  This way, they can know they are in the lead, even though an athlete in their age group is still ahead of them on the road.  For example, if athlete EN is 8 minutes behind athlete IM on the road, but started in the 3rd swim wave vs. IM who started in the 1st swim wave (10 minute swim wave difference), then EN is in the lead by 2 minutes.

Thank you, Keith, for volunteering to be our Official EN Race Day Tracker Czar! Great to have you on the team!