Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant
Options

IMMT Week 7/29-8/4, Last Race Rehearsal!

Almost there folks!!!!  For those who didn't do the final RR last weekend, this is the last chance!  I hope we all have good weather this weekend so we can make the most of it. 

I REALLY need to take another look at my FTP before the RR this weekend.  Saturday I rode 95 miles with 8000ft of climbing and had an IF of 1.12 and TSS of 797!   Now, I felt absolutely trashed after that ride and I knew the whole time I wasn't riding "smart" but just trying to stay in touch with the group.  So it's reasonable that my IF and TSS would be a bit high, but 1.12 for over 6 hours?  I should be dead, right?   Sunday's ride was another 2 hour easy spin that ended up with IF of .97 and on that ride I seriously was taking it easy, keeping it in the small ring and just spinning everything out from the day before.   I need to figure out if I should do the FTP test this week (admit it, I missed it last week ) or use my WKO data to make a reasonable educated guess.  Better put a post in the Micro thread ASAP!

Comments

• Options
    @Nemo... yeah something isnt set right no biggie... yes that ride woulda been pretty much impossible... probably did a hard reset on your computer or something to cause a default setting..... maybe you missed a digit LOL....... You know the watts your capable of... IF is just a number that everyone gets so hung up on before there race... I know your not.... but its so funny to watch threads about FTP and what IF to ride within weeks of an IM.... All we ever have to do is pull up the last few 5hr rides and there it is! Good luck finding your gremlin!........

Yesterday I did a 1hr spin on Heathers bike on the trainer at .56 for me ( 15min at .72ish) hard to do sitting upright... when I downloaded it (showed .86 I think since I used her headset too LOL) that was in the AM ... the afternoon workout was a 4 mile walk and I crushed it with an 18min pace! I'm back! Kinda! Still bruised pretty good , hip flexor still stiff, skin healing , but overall quite optimistic in my recovery! My short term goals are to do the workouts with Heather in IMMT. Yesterday she did split runs 1:34 in the am and 1:15 pm totaling 16miles, her recovery day today 1.2 mile swim that is all!
  • Options
    18 minutes!!! Woohooooooo!!!!
  • Options
    While my workouts are feeling great, between them I'm absolutely getting tanked (aka fatigued). I can never have enough naps, even at T-3 weeks!

For me, it's all about keeping body comp good, and wearing my bubble wrap, Kevlar and steel-toed boots!

I've got my RR#2 this coming weekend, where I'll only end up doing 100ish miles instead of the 110ish the RR suggests. no big deal tho, this ain't my first rodeo! I've gotta get home, packed and head off to Shreveport LA for an annual little sprint that all us "locals" love to do. How's that for ROI, six hours roundtrip driving for a sprint that should take less than 1:45 to complete?!?

@Nemo, you're a stud, you could totally pull off 1.12! Crush your former self! haha
  • Options
    @Scott - I am not only getting tanked I am constantly hungry.

@Tim - it sounds like you are recovering well.

@Nemo - something sounds off, but I would go with Tim's recommendation. I do not like testing this close to a race.

Nothing but a swim for me today. The plan is for 1 hour in the pool at a moderate pace.
  • Options
    @Nemo: I agree with the others. Testing is not really going to make a big difference. Even if you tested better you might still be better off saving it for the run.

@Scott: Wow!

I prefer to do the RR 3 weeks in advance but was in Chicago last weekend so will do it this weekend. (Did enjoy running along the lake.) Hoping that the weather stays decent!
  • Options
    Tim- you may be onto something with the computer reset. Remember how I realized the Powertap was dropping out data and needed to change the batteries? Perhaps when I changed the batteries the PT zeroed itself out or something like that and now what used to read NP=150 is now reading NP=175 (as an example). That would explain the disconnect. The workout this week is 3x15' at FTP. To me that's not a whole lot different than the 5/20 or a 2x20. I'll see what the coaches say, but I think if I just rode the scheduled workout based on RPE that would let me know if the PT is just reading higher now.
  • Options
    Nemo, I had to reclaibrate mine once after changing out the batteries. See you up in MT!!
    Enjoy the taper! Keep yourself healthy!
  • Options
    I peaked on run volume last week:

Run - 52 miles
    Bike - 224 miles
    Swim - 16,500 yards

Including the RR, I hope to go up a little on biking (and swimming) this week, but hold running to 35 miles. Next week the run volume will drop more, the bike volume drop maybe 25% and swiimming will barely drop. The last week will be a drop taper...the idea is not to give up too much fitness for freshness. Nobody ever said it better than Chuckie V:

"Look people, Ironman ain't a tampon ad. You're not going to feel fresh. Nor will you be blithely frolicking through fields of fragrant flowers! You'll be closer to full-on PMS mode than you will that. As Tom Warren said after becoming the first-ever Ironman, "Let's just say I don't feel much like dancing." That's the hard truth of Ironman. Nobody feels fresh after one and few feel fresh halfway into the cycling segment. Show me someone feels fresh starting the marathon and I'll show you someone who better be in contention to win the race. Like drinking and driving, freshness and Ironman simply don't mix. But instead of a DUI, you'll likely earn yourself a DNF. "

• Options
    Paul, I hadn't heard that one before- hysterical!
  • Options
    Did anyone else try to join the Webinar tonight? I think they missed the memo
  • Options
    Yeah, we're whining about it on the dashboard... :-(

I totally need some encouragement. Sunday brought back all my IMLP nightmares.
  • Options
    we were chatting about it or the lack there of on the dashboard ..... coach p must be pre occupied or had a techincal difficulty
  • Options
    Nemo, there is a small discussion on the dashboard.
  • Options
    @Paul .... the volume KING!

Did an hour spin on the trainer last night at .65 , another hour+ walk this afternoon with hill repeats just crushing my last pr with a 17:09 pace today... oh yeah

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/350942238
  • Options
    1hr on the trainer this am... starting to feel good again... 4 x 8min intervals starting @ .80 and last one at .90 , .73 for overall ride and I'm thinking not bad 13 days after the crash and 7 after surgery.... actually went into aero position for a few minutes at a time ... not sure the doc would like that but I do !!! I am supposed to start PT next week and called ahead to make some appt's could only get 1 on weds which is a bummer cause the following week I'll be in IMMT! will have to do it on my own for a while!

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/369228
  • Options
    @ Tim - how to do you support yourself on the trainer without your arm/shoulder hurting or is it already healing that fast? If so, that is great news.

Had a good day of training yesterday but the pulled the plug on my morning swim to get 3 additional hours of sleep...much needed. I am so looking forward to getting the 2nd RR done this week!
  • Options
    @Paul..... I AM A HEALING MACHINE! I do the easy stuff sitting up, and split the hard stuff with hands on the elbo pads and some in aero, I'm able to get my injured side into aero as well , but 90% of the weight is defintely on the other side...... Took my bandage off this am, will take a pic and post it to my crash report later... pretty good bulge along the bone and little bruised but coming together nicely..... Nice job on that SLEEP

funny discussion on ST about the DA bike... I saw your comments... I am Cobalt if you havent figured that out yet!
  • Options
    I just wanted to say thanks to those chiming in about the excessive need for naps during full training. I went through the same thing, but was never quite sure if it was normal. My wife kept trying to get me to nap more, but the Type A in me would generally win out and I'd try to keep up with all my other responsibilities. Until it hit hard and my body forced the nap issue.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I've got your ST number...and GMANs too! My fit coordinates point towards a DA, BMC, and Scott Plasma. Yours and other comments on the brake have given me pause on the DA. I am not in any hurry so may wait until 2014 to see what Felt does. The BMC also has rear brake issues per their forum, and it has a 58 degree fork lock where the bladed forks smack the frame...so very difficult to perform a low speed tight cone turn. Leaning towards the Scott at the moment.
  • Options
    Twisted my left ankle on the short run yesterday. Stupid rock. The torn meniscus is on the right side- so thankfully at least it's the alternate side. Got a ride home and did the whole RICE thing. I'm taking today off to give it a little more rest and make sure it's tip top before I do anything else with it. Grrrrrrrrr. Probably will skip the long walk/run and do the bike tomorrow instead.

I've gotta check out Slowtwitch regarding the DA- that's my bike!

Oh- and Tim- wow, your recovery is going fantastic! I'm sure that's giving P some encouragement as he goes into surgery today.
  • Options
    @Brandon.... ref naps... this is my 3rd year with EN and 4th doing Tri's and endurance of any kind.... My first 2 years here I worked shift work nights,days and mids all in the same week, I also day trade as hobby/second job, then I added IM training to the mix and would nap constantly , very short 20-30min naps where I would lay down and just go out waking up in a puddle of drool.... my last year I have been retired , I sleep at night when its dark out, get 8 hrs every night... I thought I would train and nap more but I dont .. I train the same just a bit harder... and naps are very rare these days

@Paul check out Blue that was my second choice with my fit co-ords... my girlfriend has a Blue and her rear brake works very well...

@NEMO and Paul ...the ST is just another rear brake discussion... FWIW my rear brake works ok , does not rub , but is very very spongey , combine this with carbon wheels and braking is not what it should be... because the brakes are a pain to adjust it doesnt make any sense to have multiple width wheels , I have been considering some Flo's but they are wide and not sure I could adjust the rear brake to fit well.... I love the way my tires go on and off the carbon wheels but like the stopping power on aluminum wheels... I-m also lazy and I hate putting the rear disc cover on and off so it stays on a lot of the time.. Was considering a Flo 90 and Flo Disc for the rear.... Good example is my KONA/IMFL double coming up , NO DISC in KONA but a must have in IMFL... on top of that my bike will be going from NH to KONA to IMFL then to NH .... so I will more than likely keep using the disc cover on the reynolds carbon wheels for now
  • Options
    @Nemo.....NOOOoooooooo twisting ankles....... hoping its just a day temporary thing!
  • Options

I'm telling you, sequester yourselves away in a padded room with nothing but Kevlar, Bubble Wrap and steel-toed boots! My friend Suz (another IMMTer) just twisted hers last night, IN THE SHOWER. All this ridiculousness!!!

I had another 4am wake up, 4:30am banana breakfast and 5am start, for my VERY humid 15+ miler. Got the lovely chafing again, humid as hell, but couldn't feel the pre-forming blisters on my feet and my hip flexor behaved, so it ended well. Overall a bit slower than last week, but I ran more consistent paces, although the last 3 were still a slog.

I lost 4.6lbs body weight and 1.1%BF during this little jaunt - even after all the water stops and bringing my own bottle for the out-and-back 6 mile round trip! Wow!

• Options
    Wow- that's a lot of water loss Scott! Hopefully we'll have slightly cooler temps in Canada, but who the heck knows! I got a call from my parents who are in Newfoundland right now and they say it's been in the 90's up there. That's unheard of for those guys! Poor little Newfies must be melting!
  • Options
    I popped myself in the lip with the water bottle sip cap while on the treadmill the other day. Does that count? I cut the inside of it with my top front teeth. Should everyone borrow their kid's mouth guard? Pop Warner football probably doesn't start for a few weeks, right?
  • Options
    OK- not this is starting to get downright silly! Let's all just promise each other to be careful out there! Thankfully Pete you won't need your teeth for race day!

My ankle feels ok today. But I'm taking the day off just to be on the safe side. Will ride tomorrow and have re-calibrated to PT to try and fix the unusually high readings from the past weekend. I should be all set for Saturday's RR. The weather looks ok so far (fingers crossed).

I admit- I'm at the hairy edge of "can't we just do this race and get it over with" and "oh my God, I need 10 more days just to pack!"
  • Options
    @ Nemo - I know you got Scott's bubble wrap memo earlier in the week. Be careful! Lots of distractions as we get closer to racing. I am on a plane 11 August and out of the country ... time is ticking fast.

@ Tim - The DA is good value but for the brake issue. And the closest LBS to my house...just 3 miles...is a Felt dealer. They do all the maintenance on my tri bikes and I would love to give them the business. There is a new Blue Triad super bike coming out in 2014 that also fits my specs but the closest LBS is over 20 miles away. I've learned subsequently that you buy the store as well as the bike. My Trek dealer is closest to where I work and does all the maintenance on my Madone which has a Red Shield warranty. Buying from a dealer far away has too much admin cost when it comes to servicing.

I took a long lunch today and did a 3000 yard make-up swim. I haven't been swimming in the middle of the day for several months and now I remember why. The air temperature was 92 and the pool was 85 degrees. I was cooked after that. The difference between 82 and 85 degrees is huge but the chillers just can't get there in the heat of the day.
  • Options

Posted By Nemo Brauch on 31 Jul 2013 03:02 PM
    I admit- I'm at the hairy edge of "can't we just do this race and get it over with" and "oh my God, I need 10 more days just to pack!"

I've been this way for the last two months! Chin up, Nemo, we're almost there! image
  • Options
    I woke up yesterday and walked the dog. The weather was beautiful - cool and low humidity. A great day to ride outside. I thought about all the near misses and ended up on the trainer for an hour and ten minutes.

I wake up today for a long run and it is raining buckets. I think I will swim tonight and do the run tomorrow.

Kevlar bubble wrap and steel tipped boots.
  • Options
    OK I sacrificed myself for all the EN athletes racing IMMT..... you are all bullet proof..... NO ONE else gets hurt...

1hr on the trainer this am.... IF .75 overall but a nice mix of short v02 and a couple 6 min sweet spot intervals... I think this is a good taper workout in the last week.
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/369940