Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant
Options

IMMT Week 7/29-8/4, Last Race Rehearsal!

Comments

• Options

Posted By tim cronk on 01 Aug 2013 12:13 PM

OK I sacrificed myself for all the EN athletes racing IMMT..... you are all bullet proof..... NO ONE else gets hurt...

Deal!!!!

• Options
    RR is Saturday. Signed up for a charity Fondo 112 mile ride. Now the weather is saying 70% T storms. Sunday is supposed to be beautiful, of course. Do I chance Sat or wait till Sun and ride on my own?
  • Options
    That was the dilema I faced last time. If the weather still looks that bad I'd push the RR to Sunday. There is no need for you to risk being out there during a T-Storm. Heck, if it was thundering/lightening both days and you couldn't get the RR in at all this weekend that would still be a safer/better decision than going out there and risking getting hurt. Get up Saturday morning, check the radar, and make a call before you down that first cup of coffee. Go back to bed if it looks bad and try again on Sunday.
  • Options
    I agree with Nemo. I have a similar weather forecast and will continue to monitor it. If it remains the same, I will push the RR to Sunday.
  • Options
    Well I walked 5 miles in 1:24 today.... and I'm not even doing IMMT.... I sure hope you guys are so busy training you can't be bothered with IMMT thread! Come on people you got 2 weeks!
  • Options
    I moved the run to today due to heavy rain yesterday. The first 50 minutes the legs were tight and heavy. I hit my paces, but it hurt to run zone 2. The last hour the legs loosened up and I actually ran my zone 2 pace for the last 35 minutes rather than the 25 in the plan. I finished feeling great.
  • Options
    Final RR in the books. I haven't downloaded the files yet, but this is what I've learned:
    1. The shorts I have loved all year long that I though for sure were my absolute #1 choice for race day are NOT gonna be good on race day. Ugh. This is the second 100 mile ride the shorts have chaffed me in a place that I've never chaffed before. I blame the extra padding. I'm going to reconsider going back to my minimally padded sprint shorts

2. I don't need to panic when I start to feel like crap on the bike. The walk/run routine I'm doing has my HR so low that frankly, I can recover from blowing up a bit on the bike. Not that I WANT to blow up on the bike- but if I do, I don't need to worry.

• Options
    Congrats Nemo. What exactly do you look at in the power file? Truly, I never download anything except my FTP tests and even those don't tell me much beyond my FTP.

RR2 done today with the heat index topping out at 105! I will not see those conditions in Sweden! 116 miles w IFF at .763. I used the same bike route as RR#1 (IFF = .751) but did a better job of maintaining constant pace today so I topped out at .770 today and did not fall back very much. Stinking hot getting off the bike so I tried to do the IM goal pace + 30 secs. Went a little faster but good practice. Two weeks to go. Will continue training tomorrow but start my taper in ernest on Monday.
  • Options
    @William .... sounds like a successful longrun to me :-)

@Nemo... never thought of that but it really makes sense, you can definitley afford to stay at the high end targets on your bike! NO pressure LOL

@Paul.... your training has been amazing , I think you maybe in for the race of your life in Sweden !

Heather had her longest ride/run last weekend and yesterday she bumped it down a little to a 4:10hr ride, 30 min run..... I did a 45min trainer ride at .68 and PT consisted of some exterior house painting in preparation for selling the house and throwing a frisbee for OTTO ...

My follow up with the doc this week was extremely positive when he told me that I can pretty much do whatever pain will allow , I can bike on the trainer (only worried about me crashing outside for the next month) run when ever I want(said it will hurt) , and I can submerge myself in water next week if I want(with a kickboard) . He had originally said he doesnt like to see patients raising their arms above their heads for 8 weeks. I can do that already and asked him about it . He said go for it. I got a good doc , he gets its having done Boston Marathon before, understands my goals , and seemed pretty impressed with his work and my recovery to date. I think I'll even be able to start swimming while in IMMT.

This am Heather is doing a 1.5-2hr run and I will be doing an equivalent length walk! Then some more house stuff!
  • Options
    Tim- that's fantastic news!!!

Paul- I usually look at the VI as well as the IFF and NP for starts. Then I'll look at the overall graph to see how those numbers change throughout the ride (do my watts drift down over the course of the whole ride, does my HR drift up towards the end, etc). The more you read the files the better you get at connecting some of those dots.
  • Options
    Raced River to Sea 2013 yesterday. Milford, NJ ( Right on the Delaware, I mean the start was practically on the bridge itself.) all the way to the beach at Manasquan, NJ. Total of 91 miles. Teams are supposed to be 7 members but one of our dropped out so we all took on an extra leg. I wound up with 16+ total miles over the course of the day. It was good to see Pete Joachim out there with his team.

4.8 miles at 7:01/mile to lead off at 6:40 AM.
    9.1 miles at 7:26/mile somewhere in the middle of the state (I dunno) around 1:30 PM.
    2.75 miles at 7:35/mile somewhere closer to the shore at 4:45 PM.

The rest of the time was scampering around driving support or doing some other logistics. A very interesting day. Our tem wound up doing the 91 miles in 12 hrs, 20 min finishing just under 7 PM with a 6:59:45. I think a couple of our runners snuck off the course to play miniature golf or get a sno cone from the ice cream truck or something...
  • Options
    Tim, where are you guys moving to ... Locally or out of state?

I hope to have a good race but I no longer hold out hopes of a great race anywhere. I think I used up my quota during my running years. Sometimes the legs are there and sometimes they aren't. Kalmar is probably my last chance at another 10:xx race so if I get that and get on the podium, I will be thrilled. So far, I have a 6th and 9th. Top 5 would be great...winning probably not likely given the competition.
  • Options
    Power question. My FTP is around 235 (I'm not real strong on the bike)
    For the Bike portion, stay in zone 2 or 3,
    I got my power meter in Jan, and have been training with it since. So I'm still new to it. I've seen improvements, but still don't understand some of the numbers you guys and gals talk about.
    Tim, glad to see you are healing and all the best for a healthy recovery.
    Sorry for not posting in a while, got promoted at work and have been putting in a lot of hours.
    2 weeks !!
  • Options

Glenn- figuring out your watt plan for IM is a bit more complicated than that.  PLEASE review the Racing with Power files you can find here and then ask questions here so we can help you dial it in.

http://members.endurancenation.us/R...+Power+Kit

• Options
    @Paul... Home base is staying in NH... I retired last year and Heather is retiring next week. We have 2 homes here , our principle residence in the southern part of the state we are selling , going to keep the lake house up on Lake Winnisquam . Snowbirding it during the winters.... Already have a house rented in Tucson for this winter 12/15-4/15! The ides is to try Florida next winter .

@Glen X2 what Nemo said... Would be more than happy to discuss specific with you... After you read thru the link , look up your current FTP and test date, and then more importantly your long ride NP and more specifically your RR NP's.... Then ask questions!

The Bad JuJu is still out there folks so be careful.... Today Heather and I went to some nice local trails for the longrun/longwalk combo.... She ended up tripping, falling, jamming her hip , shoulder , and skinning the knee up pretty good... She is fine but WTF.... Had a gel in her side pocket and it got popped LOL.... Then I got stung by a wasp in the ear ! Managed to get home without crashing the car.... Eating lunch and looking for the little Puppy Otto??? Oh he is in the laundry room licking the Chocolate Powerbar gel mess in Heathers shorts.... Now we have a sugar spiked caffeinated bundle of energy! Oh yeah she ran 10 miles in1:43 and I walked/jogged a little 8.4 miles in 2hrs!
  • Options
    EEEEk, ok, no more bad juju!!!! We are done! BTW- my ankle did just fine on the RR yesterday (whew!).

Oh, and one little tip for any newbies in the group. Now that we have our bib numbers- use that number liberally! Mark anything you plan to put in your transition or special needs bags with your last name and that number. In the craziness of the transition areas the volunteers will help you get your stuff and put your stuff back in the bags for you too. But it makes their job a lot easier (and increases your chances of getting it back) if you have your bib number on that favorite tube of body glide (that happens to look like everyone else's).

Oh- and I put pretty much everything I plan to grab for the run in a ziplock baggie. Instead of grabbing 5 different items and finding places in pockets to stuff them, I grab one ziplock and stash it in a pocket- then I'll sort through and rearrange stuff as I move.
  • Options
    Agreed, no more bad juju.

Yesterday was a 2 mile open swim. My best ever! (1:25 - I am very slow in the water.) The out was 46 minutes with a slight current. Somehow the swim lessons seemed to kick in on the return and as I focused on technique, it started to "feel" different. I did not look at my watch until I finished. Needless to say, I was shocked and happy. The return against the slight current was 39 minutes. I am still not fast, but it is progress.

Today was my last RR. My only brush with excitement was being chased uphill by a large dog. I love dogs and we have a very large one, but I do not let her chase cyclist or runners. I hope being chased by a dog is an acceptable reason to spike the watts, because I spiked big time. After the dog gave up I settled back into a rhythm and the rest of the ride was very uneventful. Following the ride, I ran 5.5 miles and was able to hold the zone 1 plus 30 seconds without difficulty. All in all a successful RR.
  • Options

Posted By Glenn Robertson on 04 Aug 2013 09:35 AM
    Power question. My FTP is around 235 (I'm not real strong on the bike)
    For the Bike portion, stay in zone 2 or 3,
    I got my power meter in Jan, and have been training with it since. So I'm still new to it. I've seen improvements, but still don't understand some of the numbers you guys and gals talk about.
    Tim, glad to see you are healing and all the best for a healthy recovery.
    Sorry for not posting in a while, got promoted at work and have been putting in a lot of hours.
    2 weeks !!

Definitely follows Nemo's advice and look at the racing with power stuff. The simple version for you is to be looking at your watts all day and only seeing the number 165. One way to do this is to give yourself a +/- 10 watts of 155 to 175 watts. If you have NP on your computer, then set it to lap NP and hit the lap button every 1/2 hour to hour and that lap NP should say 165 each time you hit it, but if its low don't go way outside your watts to try and build it to your number.

Hope this makes sense. Good luck.
  • Options
    Did my RR#2 yesterday when the Texas day started out at 85* ("feels like 90*") at 6am, got in 92 miles in under five hours at .721 overall (which is all I had the time for). Temps ended up in low-100s. Miserably hot day.

I had to book it home and pack up and drive to Shreveport LA (more humid than Dallas), for a sprint tri. Six hour round trip drive for a race that lasts 1:45...that's good ROI, right? Any way, similar to RR#1, had a smoking fast bike split after my Saturday long ride, but suffered on the run and my swim was absolutely atrocious-so disappointed with it. Reinforced why I only sign up for IMs with wetsuits, I sink like a rock in water!! Just mind-numbingly bad swim. Grrr.

Let the taper begin!

To reinforce what Nemo said, mark what you're bringing and also bring your own permanent ink marker to mark what you missed!
  • Options
    Keith, Tim, and Nemo, thanks for your input. Keith, I have a garmin 910, that is linked to my power tab hub, does that have that NP option?
  • Options
    Yes- if you have the latest software updates, the Garmin 910XT will give you Normalized Power. But PLEASE read the Racing with Power details. On a hilly course like this, having a PM is a huge benefit IF (big if) you know how to use it.
  • Options
    Tried to buy the power manual, wouldn't open, so I downloaded the free one. HOLY MOLY, lot of numbers, and I hated math. Saw the spread sheet. entered my FTP, and it had me riding at 85% of my FTP. Which was a little higher then Keiths recommended wattage for race day. I'm going to stick with Keith's recommended wattage numbers. My biggest fear is being destroyed before taking my first step on the run. That happened last year at IMLP, where I crawled to a 4:50 marathon, and it wasn't pretty. I did not have a power meter last year. Thanks so much for everyones help!!!
  • Options
    Posted By Glenn Robertson on 05 Aug 2013 12:09 PM

Tried to buy the power manual, wouldn't open, so I downloaded the free one. HOLY MOLY, lot of numbers, and I hated math. Saw the spread sheet. entered my FTP, and it had me riding at 85% of my FTP. Which was a little higher then Keiths recommended wattage for race day. I'm going to stick with Keith's recommended wattage numbers. My biggest fear is being destroyed before taking my first step on the run. That happened last year at IMLP, where I crawled to a 4:50 marathon, and it wasn't pretty. I did not have a power meter last year. Thanks so much for everyones help!!!
    That's not how it works.  YOU have to decide what % FTP you are going to ride (based on how long you think you'll be on the course- and using the other tab on that spreadsheet to pick where you will be).  You plug that number into the tool along with your FTP and THEN that will output your zones.  Don't just use the spreadsheet, read through the Powerpoint presentation.  And if you bought the full dealio and it wont dowload- tell the coaches so you get what you paid for!

• Options
    Also, if I recall, there's both a half-iron and a full-iron 'tab' on the spreadsheet, make sure to use the full-iron (68-75% range) as opposed to the half-iron (78-85% of FTP). There's a significant difference!
  • Options
    Well, Mother Nature and Accuweather mocked me last weekend. Woke up and saw 60% chance of T storms and showers scheduled for 11:00 - 1:00. I am a weenie so decided to move RR to Sunday. (Did get some good SAUs for yardwork on Saturday so not all was lost.) Worked outside all day and at 11:00 the sun was shining brightly. At noon there were a couple of "polka dots" on the pavement, but that was it! Sunday turned out to be great though. 112 mile ride in 5:58. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/353622361 Started very conservative and picked it up as I went. Ended with a .727 IF and a good VI (even on this flat course it still looks like hills, especially compared to Tim.) A little concerned by the TSS numbers (315.8) but maybe my FTP is not quite correct (have not done outdoor testing this year.) Biggest factor was that for 2 years I have been riding my bike with the setup the top fitters suggested. Finally figured that it is more aero to stay aero than to sit up for half the ride because the neck and shoulders hurt so much (see IMAZ report last year!) Raised the bars 2 spacers for this ride and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Got off the bike, changed and went for a run. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/353622380 I started a little quick @ 9:00, then walked 30" and followed with 8:30 running and 30" walk for the next 4 miles and ran the last mile. Felt good and each mile was a little quicker, finishing with an 8:27. I know that 26.2 is a lot longer than 6, but feeling good about this!
  • Options
    Oh, also, can't figure out why the Heart rate data is so wonky. Changed the battery, cleaned the contacts and it is just weird. I would like to use it but not if it is so far out of whack! Also, even though both ther run and bike were essentially out and back, the elevation never looks right. This has been an ongoing issue from day 1.
  • Options
    Nemo, page would load for me to buy it.
  • Options
    David- nice work on the Race Rehearsal! Looks solid. I had similar choices this weekend and went ahead on Saturday to get it done because I just wanted it over with! Got rained on during the run and Sunday was the better day- but man it felt good to be done!

In ConnectGarmin, click on that "enable elevation corrections" thingy and that should help fix most of your elevation wierdness. as for the hrm, now that really is some strange readings! If it were winter time I'd say you aren't getting enough moisture to make the connections work, but I imagine you were plenty moist! You may want to contact Garmin and see about getting another HRM strap- but don't worry too much about it between now and race day. If it's not giving you reliable information, leave it at home. No sense getting chaffed by something that isn't providing you any value!
  • Options
    @David... are you kidding me? that bike file is a thing of beauty ,I'd be very proud of that , a nice steady constantly increasing power across 6 hrs, heck I'll even say you left some on the table to look that strong in the last hour, VI 1.02 and that was only cause of some coasting with no real power spikes. I would not be worried about that TSS at all. More than likely your FTP is a little light. Your run file is about as good as it gets as well... Don't change a thing!
  • Options
    @Glenn.... You really gotta read everything NEMO is telling you too... I know your busy, we all are , but you have worked so hard to get to here, the time , money , and discipline required to get here , not just training but your power meter, entry fee , all the SAU's , the sacrifices you may have made, you OWE it to yourself ! Having said that PLEASE don't feel overwhelmed by it.... Its really not that hard.... We have a good group here and everybody is willing to help you out.... I admit all that Power stuff completely overwhelmed me at first!

Below is a link for a review of your IM race , not just the bike but everything. At the very least review this. Also below that is the cut and paste of the goal watts for an IM. Which in a nutshell I believe answers your questions about target watts. For example most of my IM bike splits fall into 5-5.5hrs and I target upwards of .75 for my goal watts, but not just because of the chart below but because that is what I did in training on those 5hr rides..... My girlfriend Heather is also new to powers.... Her target IM watts for IMMT is going to be closer to .65 because she will be probably over 7hrs on the bike , again not because of the chart below but because her longest RR last weekend was 6:40 and @ .67.... She did over 4hrs last weekend at .78 but that does not matter , what matters is what you can ride for the IM bike split.

So let us know what you believe is your current FTP? What was your NP on your last RR? How did you feel on the last hour of the bike (did you fade?) How was your run? How long do you think your IM bike split will be?

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Race+Execution+(Ironman)

Power Athletes:
    Goal Watts, as a percentage of FTP:
    5:00 - 5:15: ~74-75%
    5:15 - 5:30: 73-74%
    5:30 - 5:45: 73-72%
    5:45 - 6:00: 72-70%
    6:00 - 6:15: 69-70%
    > 6:15: 67-69%

Goal Variability Index (VI):
    High w/kg athlete with excellent gearing and ninja execution and discipline: 1.02-1.04
    Medium w/kg with excellent gearing, but w/kg + grades of some hills require you to spike your efforts from time to time: 1.05-1.08
    Everyone: < 1.1

Hopes this starts to help... ASK questions!