Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant
Options

IMMT Week 8/5-8/11 Taper Time!!!

Is it too early for us to start fussing over the weather forecast  

Seriously, I just realized the weather up there is a LOT cooler than I was anticipating.  I know, high of 65 and low of 50 sounds wonderful to most, but I suddenly realized I needed to put the arm coolers away and think about long finger gloves, arm warmers for the bike, and a warm long sleeve shirt for the run!  I'll be out there well after sunset and not moving fast, so that throw-a-way shirt might need to go in the T2 bad instead of the SNB bag.  Anyway- something for us all to consider (especially those of us coming in from much warmer areas).

PS- for those of us out there late into the evening, sunset should be roughly around 8pm and the moon will be close to full, so we should have good light if it's a clear night.  I fully expect to be on the course until about 10:00 so I'm putting a headlamp in my run SNB.

Comments

• Options
    Kalmar's forecast is similar and unlikely to hit 70. I will probably use arm warmers under my wetsuit and a pair of throwaway gloves for the bike. Most European races do not have special needs bags but I will be fine running in a tri top even in the 50s. Despite all of the heat training I do, I am still far more tolerant of cold weather -- probably because I spent most of my childhood growing up in the far north.

Sunset will be 8:30pm in Kalmar. They use a 16 hour cutoff and there will be fireworks when it ends at 11pm. I read IMMT has fireworks too.
  • Options
    X2 on the cool weather prep for IMMT... last year it was a chilly start on the bike, then very nice for most of the bike and run , but they did get some showers come thru around 6pm and a buddy of mine who finished in 12hrs was shivering within 10 minutes of crossing the finishline.... IMLP had cold weather conditions again this year...

YEP last year IMMT had fireworks!

Taper time has begun but there is still 2 more weeks of hard work in the form of staying Disciplined with your workouts, nutrition , rest , recovery , and all the choices to be made between now and race day. Stay focussed everybody!
  • Options
    The discipline from here till next Saturday is to turn off the steam shovel that I have been using to feed my face. MUST EAT LESS AS I TAPER.

Why it is all relative. Forecast low and high for race day is currently 58/69, but it is 48/67 on the day before and after so I need to be ready for that. I read a post on the Kalmar Facebook page from a guy that is part of a 14 man contingent coming from Iceland. His comment is that they were not concerned about any wind on the bike, but they were going to find it difficult to deal with "the heat". I lived in Iceland as a boy for a couple of years so I know exactly what he is talking about!
  • Options
    Paul- that's hysterical! Talk about a change in perspective! I'm worried that the temps at IMMT will be too cold! HA HA HA!
  • Options
    As one of the original weather weanies I do not like the cool temperature or the 76% chance of rain... Cold and wet!
  • Options
    Just in case you guys missed it (cause I sure did). The Webinar was rescheduled to Tonight. Check the IMMT Admin thread and you'll see that first post from Brenda updates the date to tonight at 8pm. I hope I'm back from my hair appt in time!
  • Options
    While you guys are tapering I'm building back up.... bumped my ride up yesterday to 1:20 @ .75 and it felt good... http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/372811

Another cool morning here in NH... I imagine Canada is chilly..... some may like but if I was racing I want HEAT!

PT this AM and then an easy run on a track this afternoon.
  • Options
    Another cool morning here in NH... I imagine Canada is chilly..... some may like but if I was racing I want HEAT!

I'm with you Tim! I'm one of those strange people who does reasonably well in the heat compared to others. OTOH, I've had to DNF from hypothermia before and am NOT good in cold weather. Bring on the warm temps!
  • Options
    Y'all are welcome to come to Texas and race in some HEAT! As for me, I melt in the heat. But I also don't do well in extreme cold either.

I DNF'd IMCDA2009 due to hypothermia, so cold water with cooler air is making me a little nervous. Ever since that incident, my body can't regulate temps very well - hot or cold. Hopefully better clothing/layers will help out!
  • Options
    The water temps won't be a factor.... Even if we get a cold spell between now and race day I dont think the water temps will dip lower than high 60's.... I swim all the way thru Sept in NH with air temps in the 40's and water temp high to mid 60's ... usually doesnt get below 60 again until into Oct! Its the air temp on the bike that could be the killer.
  • Options
    What is the recommendation to deal with the temps? Arm warmers? If so, put them on before or after the swim?
  • Options
    @ Tim, good advice! I swam yesterday in Southern NH and the air temps were 48 but the water was still 70+.

@ William, I put mine on before the swim. Very hard to put on if your arms are wet and just another thing to think about and rush doing in T1.
  • Options
    @William... This is why I hate cold weather , not only can I not handle it but it makes my decisions difficult and slows me down , I look at it this way ... if its cold but its going to be a dry day and warm up in an hour or less... I will suck it up and go without ......I usually shiver and overbike a tad to stay warm... but if its gonna be a moist day or colder for longer than 30-60min on the bike .. I will put on a thin cycling vest in T1 , I will also put rolled up arm warmers on my wrists in T1, and then roll them up my arms later on the bike when I am dry.... lots of people will put arm warmers on the ends of the aero bars.... I tried to put gloves on before in T1 and gave up... If its really cold, for me anyway it becomes survival and I forego racing all together.... 2 years ago I DNF'ed an OLY in NH with temps in high 40's low 50's and rain, I tried to just race all out and stay warm but couldnt do it... The next day was the HIM ... was a couple degrees warmer and less rain but still drizzle... I did not race, I put on socks, longpants , longshirt , gloves , and I stayed warm and finished... I want to race !!! I hate just surviving!
  • Options
    Include me in the 'very concerned about the cold' group. I'm not sure what to do. I think I'm going to go with wearing no jersey under the wetsuit. In T1 I will towel off and put on a regular cycling jersey and rolled up arm warmers at my wrists. That way I can carry some back up nutrition in my jersey pockets as well as have a place to put the arm warmers should I see fit to take them off.

On a positive note, I peeked at the Mont Tremblant weather (I been doing this for more than a week. I'm such a wuss.) and it is now showing that rain is not a definite for Sunday anymore. The high temp is still around 20C (68F or so). I suppose 7:30-8:00 AM will be in the mid to high 50's.
  • Options

I'm with Tim.  When I'm cold, I want dry stuff on, not wet (especially on the bike).  So I put my "arm warmers" on in T1.  But here's the catch.  I don't use real arm warmers.  Instead, I use tube socks that I've cut holes into for my fingers to stick through.  They stay on fine and when I don't want them anymore because the temps warmed up I can ditch them at any aid station without concern.  Yes- looks a little funny, but not too bad (see pic).  Plus, since the water temps don't look like they will be that cold most will opt for sleeveless wettie anyway.

One thing I've learned is that I WILL waste a lot of time in T1 if I give myself too many options to think about.  Sounds like a good idea to just put everything in there- but you can paralyze yourself looking at all that stuff.  So this year, I've decided to come up with a plan ahead of time and stick to that plan.  Right now, that plan looks like this:

Air Temp Add the following Gear
    <50</td>
    Beanie, Toe Warmers
    <55</td>
    Knee Warmers
    <60</td>
    Wool Socks, Vest, Long Finger Gloves
     <65</td>
     Arm Warmers

Anything over 65 when I exit the water and I think I'll be fine with a basic kit.  I need to convert this to celcius and stick it in my T1 bag so when I come out I just ask what the temp is and grab what the list says to grab.  The only two outstanding questions I've been asking myself are: 1) do I want to put the dry singlet on in T1 or wear it under the wettie, and 2) what do I want to use as my Vest.  If the temps look like they will be very cold (<60) I think I'll sacrifice the struggle of pulling on a singlet over a wet body vs riding in a soaking wet top.  I've considered using an old top as my "vest" so I can throw it away without concern (like the arm warmers) when things warm up.  But that's still an open Q.</p>

• Options
    Eff the heat when it comes to Ironman! I hate running in hot/humid weather more than anything, but I also despise snow and hate being cold. But when I am moving, I am rarely feel cold. At IM Regensburg it rained for 5 straight hours on the bike and I was wearing my tri-top and arm COOLERS while loads of people were in jackets and gloves...yet I was completely comfortable.

Sweden forecast is very simlar to IMMT. I will definitely wear toe warmers...my feet are the weak link and the first thing to get cold. Arm warmers are likely but I will have them under my wetsuit. Yeah, they will be wet but not for long and I don't want to fumble with them when I start riding. I'll wear them at Thursday's practice swim to make a final decision on whether I start with them or wait until T1. Throw away gloves (long fingers) are a must. When the air temp gets into the sixties and I start to feel the slightest bit warm, they will be the first to go. I will start the ride with a soaking wet top, but take a light cycling jacket in case the weather changes significantly while I am there. That is a decision that must be made at T1. Kalmar athlete guide is out and as I suspected, there are no Special Needs bags. They do have a helper zone on the bike and run where a coach/family member can hand you something....same as when I raced in Germany. My family will be in town so I am on my own and will not have the opportunity to get anything. However, I've done 5 IMs without ever using bike special needs so no concerns there.
  • Options
    @Paul.... agree with SN ... I don't bother with them on the bike at all.... figure my flat kit is on the bike, should that fail , the racing is over and I can wait for help, its not like your gonna mechanical right at SN anyway so I never understood putting extra bike stuff in there, nutrition wise if I lose something just feed off the course.... The run is a bit different but still have not used it, I usually put a flask of gel and or a longsleeve shirt if I'm concerned about temps...

Bumped up my run to 4 miles running with 1 walking today... feeling better everyday!!! http://connect.garmin.com/activity/355084989#

Went to PT this am which may very well be my only PT appt. since we are out of town from the 10th-20th.... My PT person Karen Biscovich said it appears I'm good to go which is what the doc said... Pain be my guide.... Sidenote is Karen is very fast and competing in the National Championships in Milwaukee this weekend! Pretty cool everytime I see her its 1st place!
  • Options
    Another early morning...4am alarm, 4:30 banana breakfast, 5:10 start time...knocked out 8.4 miles in 1:16 (9:31 NGP).

Soaked in sweat, as it ended up at 84*F heat index (heat+humidity), but felt GREAT! Had to constantly force myself to go slower.
  • Options
    Scott- you should have no problem waking up on race day! Heck, you might even get to sleep in! Nice work on the last big run. That had to give you some confidence.

Regarding the SNB: on the bike, I used to do the concentrated infinite deal and that meant I had to stop at Special Needs. But this year I'm living off the course and what is in my Bento box. My SNB will have a tube, C02 (if I flat in the first half, I'll stop to pick it up just in case I have another) and a can of coke (which I'll stop for only if I'm feeling like I need a lift- gives me something to look forward to). Ultimately, I plan NOT to use SNB, but it's a nice to have

Run SNB is another thing entirely. I will have a pair of socks, gloves, hand warmer (those things hunters use), a long sleeve shirt, and a clip-on headlamp in my Run SNB, and I fully intend on stopping to pick up most of it.
  • Options
    Great job Scott. You are ready to rock n roll.
  • Options
    Great job Scott. You are ready to rock n roll.
  • Options
    First- that swim this morning was heaven. "Only" 2000? ahhhhhhhh.

Second- looking forward to a nice easy 2.5 hour ride with friends Saturday who have really helped me get through the tough stuff. Saturday afternoon I clean up the bike and pack my gear bag 'cause Sunday my day involves 3 hours driving to and from Cary, NC to drop the bike off at Tribike Transport. Luckily I have company for the trip.

Finally- in case you have not heard, Mike Reilly will in fact be at IMMT! I hope he knows how to say "You are an Ironman" in french!
  • Options
    @Tim - I read you were able to swim! Amazing and inspirational!

I ran for 75 minutes last night and hit my paces. I am ready to be finished and in MT.

My swim today is derailed. The river where we swim had hundreds of gallons of sewage flow into it due to the heavy rains Tuesday night. It is closed for all activity until further notice. Cold water is one thing - raw sewage is a deal breaker.
  • Options
    ewwwwwwwwww Good call!
  • Options
    @ William - YUCK!

@ Nemo - I am not a fan of Mike Reilly - mostly because of his tie to active.com and the relationship between WTC and active. WTC has better announcers on the 70.3 circuit but only keep Reilly on, in my opinion, because he is famous for his longevity, not his talent. I would love to get the multilingual announcer I had in Germany at Sweden. He spoke perfect English and several other languages. Coming down the finish chute, I was announced by full name along with "representing the United States of America" and, of course, "you are an ironman."

4000 yard swim this morning plus 3 mile run. My drop taper (extreme reduction) starts when I get there...OFf on Monday and Friday. This method comes from Endurance Corner and fits this race schedule. For Cozumel, I will draw on this base, reduce volume somewhat, increase intensity, and have a longer taper.
  • Options
    @Paul I was your taper thread and I went to Endurance Corner to check it out. Thanks I had never been there before. Some of what I have learned is something I have adapted and practiced already. I like to do my biggest weekend 3 weeks out with the RR , then 2 weekends out just come down a little bit say from a 5+hr ride to a 4hr ride and a 2hr+ run to a 1.5hr run... Then 1 week out taper very fast , just dropping everything but keeping some intensity. Thought I would share exactly my last weeks worth of work pre-IMTX which I was very happy with.... Its hard to do less but???

Thurs--- Last full day OFF
    Fri---- Swim ONLY day 3459yds in 1HR with a 2100yd TT in the middle
    Sat... 2.5hr bike 5watts above IM pace , 4mile brick run in 30min MP total time 3hrs
    Sun.... 7 mile run just a little faster than MP total time 50min
    Mon... Swim only 2200yds w/some short intervals total time 43min
    Tues... Bike 1:03 just below HIM pace so pretty hard , brick run 4 miles 30 min MP , 1:33 total time
    Weds ... Swim 1600yds with short intervals 32min , Run 4 miles 32min just a little faster than EP total time just over an hour
    Thurs... Bike 36 min 5 watts below IM pace but with short bursts above IM pace , Brick run 2 miles 15min little slower than MP.... total time 51min
    Fri... Swim recon 15min easy at the venue

Saturday--- Crush

I really liked this layout... about 9 hrs total in over 8 days , with 1 full day off, and 2 days of swim only giving you 3 days completely off the legs!
  • Options
    Was scheduled for a 2.5hr bike ride today, but ended up going 3.5 with a group of roadies when seemingly all my local tri teammates turned earlier than expected. I was supposed to ride SLOW with them...where did they go???

It was weird not having power numbers (quarq is on my TT bike which is being TBT'd to MT), so I'm sure I exceeded FTP many many times trying to stay attached to wheels. But I've gotta say...it was FUN!!
  • Options
    @Scott - I did something similar today. I rode three hours instead of 2.5. I was by myself and decided to turn down some roads I do not usually ride. I did not ride steady. It was a lot of fun! I did make sure not to do anything that would hurt me next week.
  • Options
    @Scott and William .... musta been something in the air today... Heather went out for a 2.5 hr ride and ended up doing 3hrs as well , she also swam with me first and did a quick 2 mile brick.... Just don't be over doing it the rest of the week!

Today I did a 20min , .6 mile , OWS in some choppy water , then a 1:40 on the bike http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/376017

I actually felt like I could start pulling on the water with effort today if I wanted to but held back completely just swimming very easy, will add some more distance tomorrow ... The only irritation was from my wetsuit over the clavicle (used sleeveless for less restriction).
  • Options
    Ha, I cede volume king to William and Scott for today anyway. I rode 56 miles doing the assigned work and ran 5 miles at HIM pace later in the day. Spent the rest of the time getting the yard in shape, running errands, putting on race tires, tubes, etc. All the time I saved from the taper has been sucked up by logistics and clearing the plate at work. Taking a short break and am about to pack my bike.

Tim ... See my micro thread for my planned taper and Coach Ps input.