Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

Kona ... under 6 weeks to go!

How are you feeling, team? 

My high points:

-Just completed the last big bike block by way of my annual Labour Day Weekend Hurtfest ... 3 x 5h bike, 4h-and-someting run, 4h swim. 

-For whatever reason, September 1 is my mental 'this s*** just got real' date.  Went from abstract training to having my head very much in the game.

How goes it for you? 

Comments

• Options
    I am in a bit of a freaking out phase! I'm back into the "Beginner IM Plan" which I followed for IMLP. It's not that I'm a beginner triathlete, just a beginner IM, but if I plan to go longer than 13:30, that's what I'm directed to follow. And I'm that!

I've been in touch on the "Geezer" forum for some advice, and also Coach Patrick. I'm supposed to be resting more and not doing runs longer than one hour right now. I'm thinking that will have to change soon. Coach P. said to practice drinking. A lot. Get the gut ready for all the fluid we will need to take in that heat. I am worried about the heat, humidity, and the wind.

Today I worked on logistics for getting my bike to Kona without breaking the bank. Looks like bringing it with me will be the answer. TBT is very costly.

Somehow I felt much better leading up to IMLP, maybe because I had never done an IM before. Ignorance is bliss!
  • Options
    Kate, the freaking out is all part of the IM game ... no matter how many of them you have under your belt, it just comes naturally with the task at hand. Just take comfort and confidence knowing that you can do this - so well, in fact, that you have earned a spot at the World Championships - and it will come together on race day!

I saw your dashboard note about TBT - wow. $750 is a lot of cheese. Be sure to post on the main board if you are looking for some pointers on disassembly. Once you get to the island, there will be lots of help getting you back on your wheels.
  • Options
    Well I'm feeling pretty damn near 100% since my crash/broke clavicle issue LOL.... just building back up to volume and speed and last week ended with 12k yds swim all OWS , 7:12 hrs on the bike 147miles, and 4.5hrs running 33 miles.... feeling really good....

@Dave.... whoa big week! I have been considering starting a thread about .... training/executing the KONA/IMFL double 3 weeks apart with the goal of KONA to just enjoy the day DO NO HARM Race Rehearsal and then race IMFL @ 100%.... Where do you think I should post this discussion to get you , Al, and others who have done very close IM's to comment on since it encompasses several area's?

@Kate bummer you dont have a partner shop to use TBT ... That new pack and ship seems ridiculous.... I am doing a 3 way TBT from Mass to KONA to IMFL back to Mass for under $600.... I only have to drive an hour to the shop from NH..... Bonus ---nice restaurant in the area !
  • Options
    Bring it folks.
  • Options

Posted By tim cronk on 03 Sep 2013 05:28 PM

@Dave....   Where do you think I should post this discussion to get you , Al, and others who have done very close IM's to comment on since it encompasses several area's? 

Most definitely post in the General Training folder, Tim.  I think there are others who might influence and benefit from the discussion.  

• Options
    Funny, but Coach Patrick just suggested I get a Kona advice link started. Would this overlap with your plan? I asked him where that should go. Do you have a suggestion? Of course, I am only interested in Kona, not worried about a turn around for Florida. Coach P said many EN folks have done Kona and could give advice. Tim, there is something called "Revenge Protocol" in the Wiki that addresses how to go about training for another IM close to the first. I actually used the advice there to start back to training after IMLP.

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Official+Ironman+Revenge+Protocol+(or+Two+IM+Seaso
  • Options
    Good luck guys! I wish I was worrying with you, but instead I will be checking IM live and waiting for the TV production to air later in the year.
  • Options
    @ Kate, I would also suggest "Kona Advice" go into General Training. Definitely more traffic.