Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

Week 17 :: Bike Test and Last LONG Run

Actually did the Monday run at the gym this morning - something I haven't been doing as I was feeling shelled after the weekends,  Felt good yesterday afternoon and this morning so did the 18' up as 3x6' (3'),  Swim after work -- a whole lotta sprints 

Comments

• Options
    resting today. I usually tack monday's run onto the back of tuesday's anyway. worst case, I end up with only 2 swims this week.
    I think that part of what I am going through is work related. Friday was a big day for me. I put something together that fixes me financially for 2014. It was a long tough slog to get it done and it is hard to not sit back and rest a bit.
    Looking forward to running tomorrow! Swimming and biking - not so much at the moment.
  • Options

Great job, Jeff.   Solid weekend and good start to the week for you.

I'm on the same plan as jimmy today.  Taking a rest day, too.  Rode well over the weekend, especially Sunday which surprised me,  but I am shelled today.  started driving to the pool but a thunderstorm whipped up and it was just the excuse I needed to say 'screw it'.   gonna get some good sleep tonight and hit it early tomorrow.

• Options
    I am struggling to find my mojo for the pool but will get it done. I am a BIG believer in listening to your body. HTFU and the like doesn't always work...
  • Options
    Me three on resting. It was hot, humid and rather miserable out so I just elected hydrate instead. Got my new Flo wheels today and hope to have them on the bike by this weekend's rides.
  • Options
    Ha! looks like a group revolt today.
  • Options
    I took one for the team and did the swim. That excuses you three to rest today!
  • Options
    Now is the time you put a serious eye on the race and the return on the work you are doing . That one monday workout won't make or break the big dance, but insurmountable fatigue most certainly will!!
  • Options
    that rest day rocked for me. had a great swim this morning. negative split each of the six 500 intervals, which for me is huge b/c my swim endurance has been a weakness. I usually fade after 2K yards...not today.
  • Options

Boom.

Rest day + cold front = best run since marathon build last winter. 1:45 covering 11.54mi with 3x1mi Z4 (4) right in the middle. Now for some pool time.

Swim went fine.

• Options
    Jimmy said it best! Cool temps make everything better! (3) x 1 z4 were more consistent and able to keep heart rate in the zone. Time for massage!
  • Options

Sunday and Monday workouts were bagged due to my foot injury.  I was able to get into the massage terrorist yesterday.  He spent the whole hour working on my solaris (sp) muscle in my calf and never touched my foot.  The calf was causing the pain in my heal.  Amazingly, the majority of the pain was gone when he finished.  He told me to ice Monday night and resume workouts on Tuesday.  The heal still hurt today so I didn't run but will get back in the pool tonight.  Foot hopefully will be fine by the long run on Thursday.

The one benefit was that I got two and a half days of rest and I am itching to get back to work.

• Options
    Make that 4 for rest on Mon....0400 hit the TM for 2 x 1 then off to airport....trying rest up for bike test wed....

@Jamie - nice wheels
  • Options
    Woke up on time but got distracted by the PC so 2x1 this morning - all good. 6x500 solid at 1:38-1:40 pace (RR less 2-4"). Form felt a bit off the last few 500's but times were steady. Stroke count was up so form was breaking down a bit...

Bike test tomorrow - UGH!
  • Options
    The track work felt great this morning...finally over the Black Plague I picked up after Augusta. Cranked out the 6 X 500s in the afternoon. Timing is not a factor with swimming...I have two speeds: slow and a little less slow. Feeling great this week!
  • Options
    Slight bump in my FTP this morning after the bike test. Weather is great right now and I hope it stays this way!
  • Options
    Same here, Jamie. Got a 5 watt bump, which i'll take with all the fatigue it feels like i'm carrying along!
  • Options
    Didnt retest. Had to do the ride on a spin bike at lunch. But I got good work done. Nice work on the FTP bumps!
  • Options

No FTP bump but considering I thought a drop of 5-10 W was coming it was both a victory and a curse

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/...S-FTP-Test

It felt tough but doable (didn't go hard enough?) this go around. Much easier with the 45 degree air in the basement and 2 fans blasting.

• Options

Did my bike test outside today instead of on the trainer.  Me and my trainer just don't get along right now.  Besides, I think the new numbers are more realistic for my riding.  The old zones just had the heart rate just too low.

Took a step back on my foot.  I don't think that I could do a 5k tomorrow much less a 2.5 hour run.  Going to change it to a swim instead and let the foot heal some more.  Going to have to jiggle the workouts next week in order to get the run in but I have to heal the foot.  Biking and swimming don't put any pressure on my heal.

• Options
    power test done last nite....finally a good test....i've had a couple epic fails this summer/fall....FTP pretty much where i expected but nice to have confirmation....looking forward to the last long/long run.....weather looks great for this afternoon sunny & 70's....pretty much what i expect @ FL.....kinda feels like a final check list as we tick off last time for each type of wko

@ Blake - you're right to stay on top of that foot problem....coach P has spoken many times about how important it is to show up healthy but slightly under trained rather than chasing the last few wko's with some nagging injuries.....on race day it's all about execution not fitness
  • Options
    2:30 run done. 16.25mi. Got all my intervals. Could have kept going. 70 degrees = happy running.
    If only there wasnt that pesky 112mi bike ride in front of the run.
  • Options
    i got'er done this morning in the rain and about 50 degrees, which was actually pretty nice.  Felt pretty good during the run, but now a few hours later I feel pretty beat up.  Looking ahead at next week's run of *only* 105 minutes did perk up my spirits.  that's gonna be a cake walk!
  • Options
    I ran the Saint George marathon on Saturday so the 2:30 run last night really sucked. I am not looking forward to the long Bikes this weekend. Someone please send me some positive vibes!!
  • Options

Posted By Brent Bills on 10 Oct 2013 02:22 PM
    I ran the Saint George marathon on Saturday so the 2:30 run last night really sucked. I am not looking forward to the long Bikes this weekend. Someone please send me some positive vibes!!

wow, Brent! i don't blame you for not wanting to bike after all that running. hopefully you recover quick...good vibes are being sent. and if it makes you feel any better, Tim Cronk (fellow IMFLer) has to do a long swim, a long bike, and a marathon this Saturday. In Hawaii. so, the rest of us have it easy!
  • Options
    50% chance of rain saturday and 50% on sunday as well. might be spending some significant time on the trainer this weekend!
  • Options
    2:27 run done this morning. 15.35 miles Wonderful weather to run in. A while back when I did my last run test, I thought my heart rate was a little low for the pace I kept. It wasn't wildly low, maybe 10bpm. I'm now wondering if my strap wasn't making proper contact when I started. The reason I say that, yesterday I just put on the HR strap as I was getting ready to go out and I noticed my heart rate in the upper 40's. I wet the contact points with saliva and it instantly went to the low 60's. I'm not sure its worth worrying about at this point however.

May have to do the Sat ride tomorrow. Wife has to work Sat and not sure I can arrange child care.
  • Options
    well that was a tough one...2:10 (15+30+15+30+11+29) ...14.4 mi...hit all my z2 work on the money....hr running a little high but manageable....just finished my choc milk and banana image....now head home for a shower and feet up.....weather forecast for this wkend is lookng awesome....one more ows, a run, and some long biking...along with some chores....

@ Brent....WOW....

@ Jamie ....my hr seems to behave the opposite...starts out high then settles in nicely....
  • Options
    @Jamie,

I noticed my resting HR on Monday at 42 (was in the lower 50's back in Feb/March). I suspect 45-47 is closer to average for me. So the upper 40's as a resting HR isn't that unusual for us Ironfolks.

Run was a tad short today - 15.5 miles in 2:17 or so. The last set of intervals was about 5 min short on EZ and 12' short on M pace. Weather was great, upper 40's to low 50's. Still lost 6 lbs (188.4 start - 185.4 finish and drank 48 OZ). HR was under control but right knee and foot are beat up as bad as I remember Marathon training could be (maybe worse). 105' next week will be a nice cut back.
  • Options

put an hour in on the trainer this morning. Pulled it from tomorrow's work. Looking like rain this weekend and 4.5hrs on the trainer is more then I can do with any intensity. Gonna hit the pool at lunch. I watched the week 17 video and like the idea of spending a little extra time in the pool during taper. Not a ton mind you. I am looking forward to rest but 20min here or there sounds good. There is a pool 100M from my office so it is easy.

Not sure how my ride went because garmin and powertap were not communicating very well. Dropped 12min of the ride in 30 to 40 second intervals. I think that it had to do with bluetooth on the 510, my smartphone and netflix causing signal problems.

put an hour in at the pool over lunch. No drills today just 300m warm up then the 3x400(30) and 3x300(30) all on RR pace minus 4 or 5. then 4x50 as 25 sprint 25 recover.

• Options
    @Jeff U- In regards to my seat angle, yes, it was angled too much. I got fit with TTBikefit online. I've been having some saddle issues and I was moving it around during a ride the other day and I think I bumped it a little too much. Just reset it to level. Going to do some of my Sat ride this afternoon. Not much feeling it though.