Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

LAST BIG WEEK!!

Can you tell I'm looking forward to the taper Seriously, we are almost there, let's get in one more solid week, ending with a RR that will pay big dividends on Nov.2nd. Now is not the time to let our focus drop, we are almost there!!

Comments

• Options
    Columbus day open water swim. Supposed to be 1.3 miles but probably turned out to be about 1.6. Sighting going out was the best I have ever done. Sighted every fifth stroke and was no more that have a stroke off line every time I checked. Coming back, I sighted off the wrong landmark so I got in a little extra. I was worried about the wetsuit fitting as I weigh a few more pounds than the last night I swam in it. Running is still iffy right now because of the heel. Going to rest it one more day and try a short run on it tomorrow afternoon.
  • Options
    It was a great swim today... 2 piece wetsuit seems to have solved the anxiety demons. I am looking forward to the last race rehearsal.
  • Options
    50% chance of rain tomorrow morning. I usually do the monday and tuesday runs back to back and do 1:45 total. If it is raining I will get the mile repeats in and the 20min z3 but might only stay out there for an hour. If I didnt hate the treadmill so much I would run at the gym like a sane person.
    I am planning on taking thursday off from work to do RR #2. Only 10% chance of rain and the only clear looking day this week. I'm not going to ride in the rain. After 2 weeks, I am finally starting to be ale to ride in aero without it hurting. I am not going to temp fate by doing a RR ride in the rain.
  • Options
    just light rain this morning so I got 1:45 in. 2x1mi @ 7:25 then 20min @ 8:25. With a bunch of slow miles around and between. RR swim #3 tomorrow. Lots O' laps.
  • Options
    2x1 in very comfy temps last nite image....rain today so time to hit the trainer for the 3x15 yuk...
  • Options
    Did RR swim #3 today. 1:15:57. 1 second slower than RR #2. Which is crazy to me because it is such a long time to be swimming to end up at te same spot after the same amount of time but there it is.
    So glad that is over.
  • Options
    @Jimmy- you're a machine! Nothing wrong with being very consistent, great job image
  • Options
    @Jimmy...you're hair is 2 weeks longer for this RR, so that probably accounts for the 1 second. I bet you are actually faster if you get a cut.

As for me, I had some good swims and runs Monday and Tuesday which I am happy about. Could not hit the intervals on today's ride though: 90%, 86%, and 83% respectively. And I was pushing as hard as I could go. Me and my bike are just not getting along right now.
  • Options
    now if I could just magically produce that time in open water I would be good. I seem to have a talent for adding a few hundred extra meters to race swims.
  • Options
    @ JA in the pool it's so ez ....just follow the black line...haha....I have thge same open water problem...@ LP this summer my swim way 2.69 mi....part of that was me swimming wide of everybody to minimize contact

Weather was nice when I got home, counter to the forecast, so decided to ride outside....turned into a downpour @ 30 min mark....that sucked especially since I had just cleaned the bike from the rain on Sun ride....my ride was a repeat power test....last couple rides I've been having intermittent problems with my PT so I decided to swap using the PT from my road bike....just wanted to confirm both are similar output....last week vs. this week only 3 watt difference
  • Options
    RR #2 done! Found a much better bike route and didnt crash. Better day all around.
    112mi in 5:37 IF of .72, VI of 1.01 1300ft of climb. TSS was 289 which is as high as I would like to see it. Lost a couple of minutes to a fuel swap out at the 3hr mark and a little time at the 1hr mark when I saw that I had left the door to my car open...
    Run went fine. about a 9:30 pace which I doubt that I would be able to hold for the whole 26.2. It isnt the first 6 miles that I worry about. It is the next 20.2.
    I will write up more and post garmin data in the forums. Good luck to everyone heading out this weekend!
  • Options
    just finished LR....101 min...hit all my paces....light rain and cool temps = fast...my last 25' z2 turned into z3/z4....if only i could feel that good on race day...

unfortunately weather not looking good for this wkend...50's & rain...hate the thought of indoor RR...uggg
  • Options
    I'mmmmm Baaaccckkkkk!!! I been watching the threads and Looks like you guys are ready! Good skill on your RR's this weekend! and then welcome to the taper!

Just about over the KONA to NH jetlag. Body feels pretty good and survived 3 days of binging...Had a couple really easy SBR recovery workouts... Tomorrow back to a long swim... Sat 2.5 hr bike with some .80 intervals and Sun 90 min run. Planning the same bike and 70 min run the following sat/sun.... I'll do some intensity next week but will be reduced effort and time compared to what I was doing pre-KONA...Just trying to stay sharp, recover , and rely on the work I have already put in..... Gotta keep my head in the game for 2 more weeks !!!

Really looking forward to IMFL and meeting everyone.

• Options
    @jimmy and Jeff: kick ass job guys! Looks like it is all coming together.
    @tim. Great to have you back for the final push.

• Options
    Tim! good to see you back. Glad to see your IMFL RR @ kona went well. You know you were supposed to pull out after the first 6mi of the run right?
    Nice race. You beat a lot of people who beat a lot of people to get there.
  • Options
    Good to have you back Tim and great job in Kona.

I wanted to get the team's opinion on my RR tomorrow. I have 2 loop rides I can do. One has more climbing (2300') but smoother roads and the other is less climbing (1700') but rougher road, as far was smoothness. Unfortunately, I don't have route that's closer to the IMFL course as far as elevation gain. Which would you pick?
  • Options
    @Jamie - if it were me, i'd pick the smoother road. the difference is only 600ft, which is marginal over that distance. at this point we all just need to stay safe.

As for me, had a good RR swim this morning with pretty even 1000y splits. Although the "go hard the first 400y" is completely wasted on me. I tried, but I really only have one gear when in comes to swimming. shaved a few minutes off my time a couple weeks ago, so that was positive.

Getting my bike gear ready for tomorrow's RR. not looking forward to it as the only flat for me is a multi-use trail that I am going to have to go up and down 4x dodging fall marathon chitty-chatting-headphone-wearing groups.
  • Options
    @Jamie - I would go smooth roads as well. Rough roads are mentally draining. Especially for where we are in the training cycle. Either way it sounds like you will get the boost on race day of having your watts move you down the road a little faster. I did RR#1 on some crappy chipseal with 3k of hills and 163 watts NP moved me at 18.5mph. Yesterday I was on better pavement with less climb and 159w NP moved me at 20mph. Needless to say it was also much more fun.
  • Options
    @Jamie... thanks.... big fan of smooth pavement here! From what I remember of IMFL its almost all very good pavement with only one out and back section of pure hateful riding with like a crack every 8' making it sound like ba bump ba bump ba bump over expansion joint type bumps over and over and over again .... But nothing is as hateful as chipseal!
  • Options
    I'm going with the smoother road. The chipseal is horrid to ride on after a while. Looks like I may get wet in the first portion of my ride but so be it. Its just water, I won't melt...my wife said I might float though! :-D
  • Options
    Glad to see everyone plugging along this week...

Had to juggle my schedule and did RR swim Thursday and RR today.

RR Swim - dropped about 45 seconds to ~ 1:10:30. Pleased with that and felt more under control late where last time it felt more sloppy.

RR - Went as well as I could have hoped. Last one didn't go so well (power/HR fade late and tummy issues). Today was much better. I am still (perhaps) a tad conservative on the bike at ~.66. I don't test in the bars so think my 230W FTP is slightly overstated. Last hour I am fairly sure had best power (~.7 IF). Did 45-50' JRA at 145W then tried to stay at 150W for the next several hours (has 1-2 15' intervals closer to 160W. Finished feeling strong with HR still well under control. Run was a slight struggle to stay at EZ+30" until about mile 3.5 when it all clicked. HR was ~10 BPM over my bike HR of 128. The weather was mid-upper 40's so rather chilly to start but the right gear makes a difference. Just like last time - windy too - 10-15 with gusts to 25.

On the stomach issues, after talking to Coach P, went to 2 x 1.5H bottles of Infinit versus 1x3H bottle for each 3 hour "loop". No stomach issues at all. How much of that was the colder temps?!? Peed a record 7 times during the 6 hour ride -- 4 times in first 3 hours.

So feeling much more confident now but will still likely stay looking at .66-.67 as my target IF since I will be out there 6+ hours.

I will post a proper RR in the morning.

For now, I am pooped.
  • Options
    @Jamie- I'm with everyone else, smooth pavement is the way to go!
  • Options
    did my best to pick up wednesday's bike on the trainer this morning. Couldn't hold the targets. Seems much harder to generate the watts on the trainer. I think tat I may not be calibrating something correctly. Not a big deal at this point. Gonna go swim for a bit. With the cold weather running seems the most natural thing to be doing. Will getthursday's run in tomorrow and then be back on regular schedule come monday.
  • Options
    RR went well today. I rode very conservative .63 IF. My last RR ended early because I pushed too hard early on and then the nutritional nightmare started. Nutrition went well today. May have to tweak a few things in my plan. I tried for 1.25 bottles per hour but ended up averaging 1 bottle per hour. Run went well and managed 6 miles in 1 hr at 10. Glad that is over and we are on the downhill side of training.
  • Options
    great job all on the RRs!

TAPER TIME
  • Options
    Did swim on Fri .....4200 in 1:20 in the pool

Sat was RR....cut a little short cuz of weather ....5 hrs + 5 mi run....overall went well...

Taper time
  • Options
    Has to do the bike RR on Friday morning so I chld drop my bike off for shipping that evening. Weather was really cold 34degrees at 8 am. After 20 miles came inside and finished on the trainer.
    Finished swim RR last night 1:17:31, 3:30 faster then last RR. Still not what I wanted, but to late to do much about it at this point.
    Looking forward to riding my road bike this week, much more comfortable.
  • Options

Second Race Rehearsal- 19 Oct.

Started the ride at 0815 with 5 other riders.  Temp was 60 degrees with 4 mph winds.  The goal was a 50 mile out and back loop times 2.  Water bottle and nutrition swap out done at the car at mile 50.  Wore all tri clothing that I am wearing on race day minus an aero helmet.  I eat on the 30min/1 hour mark and drink on the 15/45 min marks.  Also, plan was to add one salt stick tablet on the hour.  The weather was extremely mild.  Road next to a rider with a powermeter and she helped talk me through effort during the ride.  Goal was to maintain 15-17 MPH with a 130 HR.  The route has a couple decent hills, rollers, and a couple grinders. 

Spent most of the ride in the aero bars and nailed the nutrition.  Ate a total of 3 power bars and 6 power bar gels.  I also experiment with a bonk breaker bar at mile 95 to set up the run.  Also, I made it a point to force down 24 oz of Perform every hour. 

Came off the bike and felt fantastic!  I ran 6 miles just to make sure my shoes were good.  Drank about 20 oz of Perform and ate 3 blocks of Cliff Shots.  Fought to maintain Z1+:30 for the duration.  Also worked hard at keeping HR below 150.

Run: 6 miles.  1:09 Avg speed 11:35, Avg HR 149

Bike 100 miles 6:16.  Avg Speed 15.9, Avg HR 127.  Elevation gain 1273

Open Water Swim, 20 Oct

I swam a 1.44 mile out and back loop in a lake.  I have had severe anxiety issues with open water/wet suit swimming in the past.  Picked up a Desoto 2 piece wetsuit and it seems to have solve my issues.  This is my second weekend in a row doing this swim.  Took off 3 minutes!  I am still slow and clunky in the water, but I now feel confident.

• Options
    Ok well was supposed to do Thursday's long run today. Got 1hr in at marathon pace. But that was all. That's ok. Taper time!
  • Options
    The "hay is in the barn", now time to let body absorb all the hard work with a good taper. 2nd RR went well, definitely felt more fresh having had only a 1:45 run last Thur. as opposed to a 2:15 run on the Thur. previous to the last RR.

Held .69 IF on first RR which got me 108 miles in 6hrs on a windy day, followed with a no problem 6 mile run- LRP is 9:30 and had to hold back to keep splits slower than that.

Held .70 IF on 2nd RR which got me 112 miles in 6hrs on an even MORE windy day (20-25 mph gusts). Was 40 degrees at start and got up to mid 50's by the end I think. I was seriously dreading the ride because of the weather, then thought of IM Tahoe peeps, and told myself,"stop being such a sissy and just GET ER DONE". Super glad I did, no way I would have gotten anywhere near same quality ride on trainer. Followed up with 6 mile run that seriously felt like I was crawling with each split being around 9:30. Going to have to REALLY go slower 1st 6 when looking at full marathon.

Nutrition on both were dialed in- total 440 cal/hr. between drink and gel (100 cal. Every 30 min. from EFS by "First Endurance"), with s cap on the 45 min. mark. Exception to this is first hour where I take in extra 140 cal. Via 1/3 Bonk Breaker bar on the 30min. and 1hr. mark (total 580 cal. 1st hr.).

Swim RR's are funny I guess, except not quite sure what to expect race day. First one was 1:09, which is faster than I expected, but I thought I just miscounted laps, which I definitely struggle to keep track of. Second one was 1:12, which was more what I thought it would be. Last one I made a concerted effort to keep track of laps, and ended up with...... 1:06. So from three swim RR's I've learned two things....... 1. DONT know what to expect on race day. 2. I have lap counting ADD image