Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant
Options

2014 IM Mont Tremblant Official Introductory Thread

Welcome to the IMMT Sign In Thread!

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow teammates, telling us a little bit about you, your goals for the race, etc!

Comments

• Options

Hello fellow IMMT'ers.  I am new to EN as of this Nov OS.  I'm signed up for Raleigh 70.3, then IMMT.  I just turned 62 in December, so in Tri years I'm 63.  Started doing tri's in 1983.  For the most part, I have done tri's every year, but not all.  MT with be my 3rd IM. Hawaii 1989 and Canada 1997, so it's been awhile since I've gone that long.  3 HIM since.  I'm a decent swimmer in my AG and average or so biker.  I've always said that if I could run I'd be dangerous.  Thus, I joined the EN team to become that dangerous fellow.

Looking forward to meeting all of you at the race in August.  My wife of 35 years, Mean Jean, will be with me too.  I'm an attorney and volunteer swim coach at our local YMCA.  Because of an important swim meet I need to attend in July, I can't make the MT camp, although I would love to.

Safe training,  Bob

• Options

I'll be there for Part Deux. Last year I had a magical day and somehow went sub-12. This year I age up to M50-54, so maybe instead of the top 30% of my AG I'll sneak up into the top 20%. That and $2.50 would get me a nice mocha latte and one of them finisher t-shirts.

• Options
    I'm in. This will be my 5th Ironman racing all of them with EN for my military Charity team, "Team ReserveAid".

I'm also racing IMMT in the Executive Challenge with the stretch goal of trying to KQ. It will take me learning how to actually run this yr and becoming better on my bike, but I'm planting my flag very publicly that I'm going for it at least. I did IMLP this past yr in 11:07:23. My Big Hairy Audacious Goal for IMMT in 2014 is 10:15:00. Now we better all get to work!

• Options
    I'm racing IMMT and so is my brother JT.  This will be the 4th IM for both of us.  My goal is to have superior race execution, and hopefully that results in breaking 11 hours.  I did 11:26 @ IMWI last year and I know I can find 26 minutes if I stay healthy thru the training.  Not sure what JT's goal will be but if he can finally stay healthy for a full season (he's done 3 IMs on scaled-back training d/t injuries each time) I think he go as fast as me.  We'll be staying at the Marriott Residence Inn right near the start/finish area.  Looking forward to racing with everyone.  We're not sure if we'll make it to the EN MT camp or not.
  • Options
    This will be my 5th IM. I had a snaptastic race in IMAZ last year and a pretty terrific first season overall with EN. My problem is that I had surgery in early December (John...pretty much the same deal as Jess!) and am still recovering. I have just started up running on the treadmill very slowly and riding a bit on my road bike or at the gym. It is very hard to see everyone in the os working and testing, but I HAVE to be patient!!!!

That said, I've already signed up for the NC bike camp and IMMT camp. I don't have any big fat hairy goals ... yet. Having a hard time forming them since I had such a great day in AZ, am recovering and know MT is HILLY! image I'm sure I'll form some as I get stronger.

I've heard this venue is amazing, so I'm looking forward to racing and exploring it! In addition to my EN team peeps, we have a nice sized group from the Detroit area who are racing. Should be seriously good times! How do you say that in French? image
  • Options
    Les bon temps? Nous voulons les bon temps rouler at IMMT. Eh, my Frenglish gets rusty after midnight.
  • Options
    I'm In as well and hope to get healthy enough to race IMMT this year. The last 7 IMs for me were at LP and it will be strange at a new venue. Will be at the BRP camp in NC but wont be able to make the IMMT camp. Riding/knowing the course at LP was invaluable. Hopefully I'll be able to absorb that knowledge through the rest of you guys and Coach P's course/race chat. Also staying at the Marriott Residence Inn. Main goal is to get healthy then time goals later. IMLP was so much more fun last year as an EN event that I'm really looking forward to that team racing concept more then anything. Even if there are a lot of us in the 50-55 age group.
  • Options
    Also heading up from Chicagoland area with Bruce to join the team at IMMT. This will be #4 (IMMOO x 3). I am hoping to have a consistent season and am working to build a nice strong base now. Goals are to stay healthy, injury free, and improve upon the run from last year at madison. Looking forward to meeting some of the crew from the east coast!
  • Options

Hey all you Central/North Jersey folks, like the Withrows and other that might be close to the Great Swamp National Wildlife Preserve, I know the perfect place for you to preview Mont Tremblant's climb to Lac Superieueuuuerrr. Get yourself over to the Meyersville Circle. It's where Hickory Tavern Road, Gillette Road, Meyersville Road and New Vernon Road all come together with that silly little island in the middle of the 5-way intersection - you know, the one that cars always ignore and damn near kill you if you're not on the lookout.

Take Hickory Tavern Road up top Long Hill Road (heading south east up the hill) for a short taste of the winding staircase. One part of it has a pitch similar to the steepest part of the Lac section. The other, more fitting match is to take New Vernon Road (essentially north) and follow it about 2.5 miles (it will also become Long Hill Road) on a flat & twisty section that is great for just letting it rip for 6-7 minutes of aero hammering. Once you get past Pleasantville Road the road rises almost exactly like the climbing up the Lac in a winding staircase. It isn't nearly as long but the effect is the same. You go from easy cruising on the flats to instant suckage.

Our club likes to TT through there, sometimes in a paceline, and then murder each other going up that hill after having already spent a long stretch in Z3-Z4. You wouldn't do this in an IM or HIM but I just realized how close a match it is for practicing.

• Options
    Hi all,
    IMMT will be my 5th Ironman, and my 3rd IM with EN. Had a pretty good race at IMLP last year, knocking 40+ minutes off the previous year for an 11:25 finish on a crazy-mountainous bike and run course on a bum leg that hadn't run in over a month prior to race day. So, I'm hoping to improve heavily on that performance this year in MT by staying run-healthy and working on my weaknesses. My stretch goal is a KQ. I came awfully close in LP, and it made me want it that much more. The F35-39 AG is crazy fast it seems, so I've got my work cut out for me. Planning to make every effort to get myself to the AZ camp and then hitting up a few off-brand "Big Bike" camps early spring before the IMMT camp.
    I've been "adopted" by Betty Designs for the 2014 season and will be racing also as a part of Team Betty.
    I'm beyond stoked to have Withrow, Rob Sabo, Lisa Cheney and other 2013-LP EN buddies of mine out there. I can honestly say that racing with all of you last year left a lasting impression. Also hoping to meet the new faces I haven't intersected with yet!
  • Options
    Hey Hey En! Great to be back. I definitely did not do my testing outside. Helllll NO! This will be my 5th IM, 3rd with EN. All 4 prior were in LP. LOVE LP, but change is good and exciting. Trying to make it to IMMT camp, but may have some scheduling issues. Last year at camp my roommate Kori (the rock star) made me eat crack. Ask her about it. Better yet, don't because then we will need an EN crack addict page for all of you who get hooked! Camp is invaluable and I really hope to make it esp. to see Kori and Withrow go head to head on the bike course, minus the huge pot holes, broken aero bars, flat tires, etc. All in a day of IM training. BRING IT!!! GO EN!!
  • Options
    Hi all - I'm in for 2014! It will be my third IM and third with EN! First two were at IMWI - in my hometown. Working to ensure I have a great day on August 17 - esp. building a strong bike and steady run. Training focus is running and nutrition, nutrition, hydration, and nutrition (no more slogfest nauseating runs like last IM)! Probably won't get to any of the camps but will eagerly look for advice from the team. Goal? Finish in the daylight - no more glow sticks for me!
  • Options
    Hi all, this will be my 3rd IM and 3rd with EN, first 2 were IMWI. Had a great race in 2013 at IMWI but this year looking to get faster on the run. I will be there with Sue Chapman and am dying to meet Kori M. and Pete W with his wicked Badger cap. :-)
  • Options

Oh NOOOooooooooooooooooo!!!

• Options
    Hi all, this will be my 2nd IM (and 2nd IM with EN). After a very positive first IM experience in AZ, I'm looking to build on this and hopefully move up the AG (40-44) ladder in MT. Very happy to be training for a summer race as opposed to a late fall race. I much prefer warm over cold image

Glad to see a few familiar names (Trish and Bruce) on this list...will be great to train and race with y'all again!

@Robert H, I too will be in Raleigh as well. Look forward to meeting you there!

• Options

Hey guys!

This is my second IM (first was also IMMT). Loved the venue and the race!!!  I joined EN late in the game last year so I missed all of the OS.  I'm new to triathlon but I had a great first IM.  Downside was a very slow bike along with 2 flats in the first 40 mins of the bike leg !  I have three goals for this race.

1. shave an hour off of last years time with the help of a full OS and no technical problems

2. have the same amount of fun as last year and cross the finish line with a smile again

3.  I'm also prone to over training injury so stay healthy!

I've signed up for the IMMT training camp which should hurt very nicely and help toward #1 and possibly hinder #3

I'm from Canada so doing another race so close to home is exciting.  Quebec is a beautiful province.  I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!!  Have a great season...

• Options
    I'm in, trying to keep focused and really excited to race everything I can get my hands on leading up to this. The taper week is already set with a vacation in Maine in a cabin with the family, no TV and just relaxation. I loaded up May and June to keep my ass motivated. Struggling with the run motivation over the past 3-4 weeks, but the bike is coming along. I'll preview the course in June at the 70.3, but that will be the culmination of lots of racing so I'm still deciding on what my purpose is. I haven't swam in almost a 1.5 years, so I'm a little concerned about that.....the real test of EN's no swimming code!!!! Can't wait to chase my sandbagging cousin aroundimage and the rest of you peeps.
  • Options

Hey! Bitecher tongue there, smart guy. Ain't no sandbagging this year. I'm on the hunt for results this season. 

By the way, you live right by the perfect, and I really mean it, area for Mont Tremblant's bike course. Many of those substantial rollers will do you good. You should also have a steady diet of that observatory. That climb is harder than the climb to Lac Superieur but that place is perfect for practicing the EN riding. Park in that little lot and do bricks there. You will ride the MT course LIKE A BOSS.

• Options

Hi y'all.  (I'm originally from Memphis.)  IMMT will  be my 3rd IM.  Did Hawaii in 1989 and Canada in 1997.  Triathlete since 1983.  Just started with EN this past October.  I'd love to go to the MT camp, but I'm a volunteer assistant swim coach and we've got a big meet that weekend.  I'm eager to hear what people learn about the course, etc from the camp.  I'm also eager to meet everyone.  Doing Raleigh 70.3 in June.

• Options

Posted By Peter Wick on 16 Jan 2014 07:25 PM

Hey! Bitecher tongue there, smart guy. Ain't no sandbagging this year. I'm on the hunt for results this season. 

By the way, you live right by the perfect, and I really mean it, area for Mont Tremblant's bike course. Many of those substantial rollers will do you good. You should also have a steady diet of that observatory. That climb is harder than the climb to Lac Superieur but that place is perfect for practicing the EN riding. Park in that little lot and do bricks there. You will ride the MT course LIKE A BOSS.

My race strategy is to convince you, Withrow, and Kori to form a mega draft for me....I'll just tuck in and get pulled for 112 miles.  I'll do the observatory many times to prepare, but I refuse to drive and park someplace that's 3 miles from my house....that's soft!!!

• Options
    Oh alright, but actually the park & brick routine would be perfect an AZ race rehearsal. Run it, Ride it, Walk it, Ride it, Crawl it. That's your plan, isn't it?
  • Options

Posted By Peter Wick on 17 Jan 2014 12:17 AM

Oh alright, but actually the park & brick routine would be perfect an AZ race rehearsal. Run it, Ride it, Walk it, Ride it, Crawl it. That's your plan, isn't it?

Nope....starting with the walk right away as last time it took me until mid way through the second run to realize that I was catching up to people who were running as I was power walking them hills.

• Options
    Question: we are bringing our 2 boys (11&9) to the race this summer, should we get passports for them?
  • Options
    Get them passports. It can't hurt and it will help add in some anticipatory adventure to the adventure. My wife, however, was disappointed that no one wanted to stamp her passport. image
  • Options
    Goto this link.. Click Expand All for all the details..

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/canada.html

Entry into Canada:

Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.

Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship.

Entry into the United States:

When traveling by air from Canada, U.S. citizens are required by U.S. law to present a U.S. passport book, except as noted in the few exceptions provided on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.

For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!!!
  • Options

Sadly, I will be withdrawing from IMMT for this year and looking to perhaps volunteer instead.  Due to some health issues I'm gong to focus on some lighter races for now.  I hope to attack IMMT again next year!

If anyone is looking for a place to stay during IMMT I have cancelled my reservation.  The owner of the condo was nice enough to refund my entire fee.  I have stayed in this condo several times.  It's a very nice and spacious condo with 4 bedrooms and a finished basement on a beautiful golf course located just minutes from the village.  The cost is $1600 cdn for a week. He may book for less than a week but I've always made it a family get away.  Theres a pool and other activities for families as well.  Far enough from the craziness of the village but close enough for connivence.

If anyone needs a place to stay I would recommend this location.  Let me know and I can provide you with more details.  The area has filled up fast and I imagine he will rebook pretty easily soon so I thought I would give you guys first shot at it.

• Options

I may still volunteer at IMMT so if anyone would like to split the accommodations I would be game for that too!

• Options
    IMMT will be my 2nd IM, looking for my first finish. DNF'd at placid last year by not respecting the distance. I'll be racing it as part of Team ReserveAid along with Withrow et al. This is my first year as part of EN, and the online camaraderie (and the sting of a DNF) is huge motivation for me. I'm looking to finish, first and foremost, but then theres the ambitious goal of 13:00. Last year at placid I pulled the plug at 130.6 miles, already 9:45 at night, but am looking forward to a daylight finish, and a fine bottle of scotch as payment for a bet. I'm already in likely the best shape i've ever been in, FTP is at an all time high, and I just finished the OS with a 5k PR. I'll be going up for EN training camp, and look forward to crushing it with all the rest of you.
  • Options

Steve, it looks you are living a carbon copy of my Ironman life so far. IMLP in 2012 was an agonizing disaster. I did finish but really really should have DNF'd. I staggered in at 13:22 or something and went straight to the medical tent. It took a very long time to recover from the damage I'd done.

Then I joined EN at the urging of my cousin, Keith Wick, and aimed for redemption at IMMT. I got it by training hard, racing smart and being a little lucky on race day to break 12 hours. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that would happen. You'll love IMMT.