Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

2014 IM World Championships

Welcome to the IM Word Championships Sign In Thread!

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow teammates, telling us a little bit about you, your goals for the race, etc!

Comments

• Options

Uh, I know I'm not the only one doing this race. Anyway, if you're here as a racer, you probably already know me, so Ill just leave it @ that. Other than to say, Kona is my RR #1 for IM AZ Nov 16, my A race this year. My goal on the Big Island is to hit the time I got when I qualified, which was on a day with wind and a bike course a LOT like the Queen K.

• Options
    OK I'm Eric Blakie from North of England way up in Sunderland(its near Newcastle up in NE).Kona will be my 6th full IM of the year( yep I know that's plain mad and probably anoys our dear coaches but its done ) but some of them were just social IM's like Boulder and Copenhagen where I have friends I've not seen for a while.Its my 2 nd time to Kona but in 2011 I'd torn a calf muscle 3 weeks before so the run was a gimp and a walk---be nice to just run this time and get under 12 hrs.I promised our 'kids' if I ever got back to Kona I'd take them and their partners/family--three kids---an expensive trip although one can't make it for work and other reasons--plus he's trying to qualify himself and I can understand he doesn't want to watch the 'old man'---but there will be two grandkids !Not too worried about the course as did Lanzarote in May for third time and its just as windy/hot there plus the bike is tougher !
    Al----- be good to see you again !!
  • Options
    This is Kona #3 for me. Since about 5 seconds after crossing the finish line last year, I've been hard-targeting a sub-10 finish in 2014.

(It looks like there will be a great EN crew at the race - this might be the biggest cohort ever?)
  • Options

Posted By <a href='http://members.endurancenation.us/ActivityFeed/tabid/61/userid/54/Default.aspx' class='af-profile-link'>Dave Tallo</a> on 18 Aug 2014 02:36 PM
    This is Kona #3 for me. Since about 5 seconds after crossing the finish line last year, I've been hard-targeting a sub-10 finish in 2014.

(It looks like there will be a great EN crew at the race - this might be the biggest cohort ever?)
    I think we're @ double digits now. Gotta get RnP to spring for cool race team marketing T shirts?
  • Options
    I was hoping for team pancakes at the IHOP, but the shirt would be even better.
  • Options

Posted By <a href='http://members.endurancenation.us/ActivityFeed/tabid/61/userid/54/Default.aspx' class='af-profile-link'>Dave Tallo</a> on 19 Aug 2014 08:57 AM
    I was hoping for team pancakes at the IHOP, but the shirt would be even better.
    Pancakes might last longer image
  • Options

Pancakes...Tshirt...I don't care but I do think RnP should do something special given the size of the group.  I'm just happy & honored to be joining this distinguished group.

This will be my 1st Kona event, and I qualified just this week at IMMT in Quebec by winning the M60-64 AG.  My only goals at Kona are to have fun all week long and to finish the race before the cut off.  I arrive on 10/4 and depart on 10/13.  I've rented a 2 BR condo @ Country Club Villas (sorry Al ... the Hale Kona Kai was full but Adeline took care of me anyway) on Alii Dr.  My brother JT is coming with me, and Charlie (one of best friends from college) is coming too.  My two college-age kids may come as well. Looking forward to seeing everyone in Kona.

• Options

I love swag, but i'll for sure take pancakes

Super excited and incredibly humbled to have qualified for Kona.  I never thought this would have been possible, but here i am.  I'm out to enjoy and soak up every minute of this experience.  Great advice received from Tim Cronk to not get caught up in the hype and just have fun.  That being said I will be trying to finish the race with a respectable performance.  I'll be there with my wife and 2 children.  We are arriving on the 7th and leaving on the 16th.  They are super excited about going to HI.  I'm looking forward to meeting (or remeeting) everyone and learning from everyone's years of experience. 

• Options
    Wow - can't believe that I've joined this forum, but I'm so psyched to be here! This will be my 1st Kona event and my 3rd IM. I KQ'd at IMMT this past week, and I'm in the 45-49 age group. Similar to Mark, I'm going to do everything possible to enjoy the event and still finish before o-dark-30. Last two IMs were in the 11:30-11:40 range so I'm thinking something around (or less than) 12:30 should be achievable. I'm a bit concerned about the ocean swim without a wetsuit, winds on the bike and heat overall. I'm sure that the experienced athletes here will help me contend with those fears/issues.

We've booked flights, but today I need to finish plans & book lodging. So much to do in a hurry!
  • Options
    btw, who is our Team Captain for this race? Does it default to Coach P?
  • Options

Posted By <a href='http://members.endurancenation.us/ActivityFeed/tabid/61/userid/54/Default.aspx' class='af-profile-link'>Dave Tallo</a> on 22 Aug 2014 08:22 AM
    btw, who is our Team Captain for this race? Does it default to Coach P?
    We haven't had one in the past; as you know, P just tells us when we'll meet for breakfast

But with a larger group this year, we should get a *little* organized. To start, everyone should go to the google doc and enter your info. So far, it;s just Tim and I on there. You'll find the link in Brenda's Super Duper Admin Thread in this forum.

We do need someone to load up the GroupMe group, and to do that a couple of weeks in advance, since many of us arrive more than a week before the race. Maybe Brenda can help us with that? I'll PM her.

We can use Group Me and this forum to arrange meetups for shared training activities, especially for those new to the course who want some onsite advice about it.

I don't know about other folks, but I;ve never tried to be captain of an EN race, and I don;t intend to start now. I think most of us who make it to the Big Dance are probably much more focused on getting our own stuff together to worry about organizing for others - it goes with the territory, I think.

• Options
    Woohoo.... Got an awesome group for KONA... This will be my second trip to KONA.... Arriving on 10/1 and departing 10/18.... Staying at Hale Kona Kai until 10/12 and then vacationing at the Volcano National Park , HILO, and Mauna Kea before heading home on the 18th... KONA is 13 days after IMCHOO where I plan to race hard , will recover in KONA and start the race easy with no expectations and just see how I feel and how it shakes out .... Pre-race I plan to swim easy almost everyday with a couple short bikes and runs Z1-2 recovery.... Will participate in the Hoala Swim on Sat 10/4 which is a chipped swim on the full course ($35 I think) small mass start.... Sun 10/5 plan on a 2hr ride up Hawi and back down... I'm sure we'll have no problem communicating a dinner, breakfast, post race meet , and a couple training sessions for the group!
  • Options

Hi guys, just spoke with Coach Patrick. He will take the lead on the breakfast,, so no Race Captain,  and I will be setting up group me 14 days before the event. As Al said, you need to get on the EN Event sheet HERE so that I can add you to group me. I am also hoping you all will post a bio (see deadline date and link in Super Duper Admin Thread HERE).

• Options
    I wish I was going this year. We didn't have as many EN'rs last year, but it was still a blast. You guys will have such a great time.
  • Options
    I'm beyond excited to be joining all of you fast peeps at Kona! My goals are to take in ALL of the pre-race hype (sorry Tim) and totally enjoy the day during the race, that's it! I plan to slow the last mile and really inhale all of the energy and hopefully bottle it up for the future.

This will be mine and Jess' first time in Hawaii. If anyone has any advice for where to spend the Mon-Fri after the race to really enjoy/see/experience Hawaii, I'm all ears.
  • Options

This will be mine and Jess' first time in Hawaii. If anyone has any advice for where to spend the Mon-Fri after the race to really enjoy/see/experience Hawaii, I'm all ears.
    Buy this book ... Mobile edition available (looks great on my iPad), but hard copy very useful also:

http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/books-apps/hawaii-the-big-island-revealed

Anything in there listed as "Not To Be Missed" is ...not to be missed. The writers live on the BI, and this is the 7th ed. They know their stuff. It was banned from the NP bookstore as it revealed too much.

That said, some of my favorite things I've done there over the years:

* Snorkel @ Two Steps, right at Place of Refuge Natl park
    * Kayak (or swim) from there to Capt Cook monument
    * Swim in A Bay...@Waikoloa. Smooth, plush.
    * Have lunch in Waimea @ Merriman's, check out the Fog line, visit Parker Ranch
    * Rent Mtn Bikes and take gravel road off of Saddle Rd or Mamalahoa Hwy
    * Visit a desolate beach on the Southwest Coast
    * Go up Mauna Kea, maybe even at night if you can swing a tour with an astronomer.
    * Walk down into Waipi'o Valley, and hike upstream or up the other side ... No cars to speak of. On the NE coast at the end of the road
    * This year, Cheryl and I have a cottage in Volcano after the race, hoping to catch a sight of some lava. That's totally unpredictable.
  • Options
    Thanks Al, will get the book. Should not take that to mean you'd suggest just staying on the Big Island, over going to Maui or Kuaui for 3-4 days?
  • Options
    The book recommended by Al is of great benefit. We've used it while we were there X2. A good place to stop while heading to the green beach and the volcano via the south route is the bakery on the southern tip. On the north end of the big island is the Umauma Falls zipline and the trail next (not in the park) to the Botanical Is. Park. We had our own rocky beach with an outcropping of rock that had a blow hole in it for an ocean spray.
  • Options
    I've been to Maui 8 times for Xterra, and Kauai once with my family. The same authors have similar guidebooks for those two Islands. The simple fact that the BI is bigger than all the others put together means there's a lot more to see & do there. If I had to choose between Kauai and Maui I'd take the former. It's more complicated in its geography than the others, being older. Hiking, beaches, waterfalls, Heli tours etc etc. Maui has a higher tourist load, so if you want to golf, be pampered in a plush resort, eat well, etc, it's the place to go.

But I prefer the island of Hawaii.
  • Options

Hi, everyone. I'm Akio Yamauchi from Japan. 50-54AG (52). Probably I am the first qualifier in the team for this year. Qualified at Ironman Japan last year (for 2014 slot). This will be my 4th Kona, but for the first time since I joined EN 2years ago. The last time I ran Kona was 6 years ago. My "official" goal time is 9:59:59 (aka sub 10), but hopefully I would like to break my PR 9:56:46 set at Ironman Sweden 2years ago. I know it's very hot and wet in Kona, and that the bike course is tough, so It will be difficult to do it, but I try! Looking forward to seeing you all soon.

@Eric -- I have never imagined you also qualified, before I knew it!

• Options
    Hi Akio --it was good to meet you in Japan last yearand hope to see you in Kona----sugoi ne !!!!!
  • Options

Sorry a bit late to the party ...

My name is Joost van Rens and I live in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. This will be my fifth IM and shooting for a respectable run since I messed out both of my runs last year at IM Texas and IM Canada (Whistler). Looking to go 10:15 but no sure how the heat will affect me (Texas 2013 was super hot and my body wasn't too happy about that one). Will be arriving on 10/5 and still through 10/16. Will be racing with my brother Bas who also got me the invitation to participate.

Excited to finally meet some of the EnduranceNation-folks (not too many out here in the Netherlands)

• Options
    Hi all, Talk about late to the party.  I am Rick Goullaud from Plymouth, MN, suburb of Minneapolis.  Did my first IM last year at Madison and unexpectedly my "trying to finish" turned out to be first place in the 65-69 age group.  So age turns out to be an advantage.  You do not need to be fast just alive - ask Al Truscott who appears to be ageless.  Love the chat line and feel more connected this year without having Brenda hold my hand.  Enjoyed meeting Bruce, Tim, Bridget and Al, our natural leader.  Enjoyed swimming with Tim and Bridget although they were gone in a flash.  Swam to Coffee barge but not a soul there - disappointing after the effort.  My goal is to find a way to enjoy this race.  Stunned to be here in the first place and with such a talented group. Just hope I can handle the heat, stay hydrated and deal with my plantar fasciitis that has curbed my running all summer.  Just deal with it and walk run when it flares up.  The thought of riding down the Queen K and seeing the best in the world going past on their way home is exhilarating to say the least.  Hope to meet everyone B4 the wee ends  And thank EN for all the training plans that I have followed for two years.