Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

IMTX Week 5 of 12

Comments

• Roberts I was just trying to keep up with you! I also only rode a .65 on the 70 miler on Saturday unlike your 90 milers that was probably closer to .7. You & CK have me worried about how the bike is going to feel today. I'm about to hop on now. Wish me luck!
  • @ Jeff - yes legs are now smoke..

@ Jimmy - strong 2X15' push!

@Mike/Chris - Just getting on the bike early after the weekend load and pushing through this one says Mental 6 Pack!  Keep leading!

Bike done: http://www.strava.com/activities/124142562/analysis  ....not fun....  run to come....

Good luck out there today all, its a sufferfest!

• EB, I bet you had no trouble at all with that bike!

Thankfully, I hit my run numbers at lunch. There was a terrible headwind going out and my Z2 felt like Z4.5, but on the way back I wished I had some sort of disc shoes or maybe a kite because that wind was sure pushing me forward. Now I've got to rest up for the long run tomorrow.

I hope everyone's second half went well.

@Tim- did you score a Flo disc last Thursday? I saw they sold out in 2 minutes.
  • Got outside for the bike workout today.....sure glad I'm on the intermediate plan rather than the advanced!  Felt better than expected.  But was windy and started raining towards the end.   Still beats the trainer!

http://app.strava.com/activities/124238807/analysis

• Call me Wind Wimp today;...had to swap workouts and do long run today....I brought all my gear to run outside...but decided the wind was just too much...so 2hr progressive run (8:35-7:35) on the TM (15miles) ...made enjoyable by the new video courses throught Germany, New Zealand, the Grand Canyon....feltd to great.

• @CK --Yes I got on the FLO Disc..... I'm liking my 60/90 so much I may get a set of 30/30 too... Really cant wait to run that disc though!

@Joe L -- Nice run today! Didnt get my longrun in last week on account of the HM DNF I had but hope to this week!

@Jeff L-- how did that ride feel after camp?

@SS-- All I can say is WOW... that bike and run after camp is VERY impressive! How much of a PR are you gonna get @ IMTX ???

Today's Bike and to those who did it !---- Kudos to you! Keep in mind MS2 the 110% intervals are OPTIONAL..... I love to overachieve with the best of them but you won't catch me doing a 2 x 20 @ 1.0 and then a 3 x 5 @ 1.10..... I'll do one or the other and when I am done thats enough! From what I am seeing nobody is hitting them....

My day was another volume - low intensity day....
    Bike 1hr @ IF .60
    Run 1hr , 7.5 miles , unstructured , just let the pace fall where it may to test out my leg.... So far so good feeling better now I could handle an hour run...Still not sure what cause my issue on Sunday but appears a day off the legs and a couple massages have helped... Hoping to get my longrun in this weekend and then add some intensity to the run next week again....
    Swim 1hr , this is where I put the weeks intensity as I rest my legs....WU , 17 x 100 hard alternated with 17 x 66 easy....
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/468214386#
  • @Tim...glad to see your leg seems to be cooperating.  The intermediate plan "only" had 2 x 15' Z4.  I was able to do them both at 0.98.  They didn't seem any harder than usual.  But, before and after them, I was "noodling" along at lower power than usual!  Didn't even try the 110% intervals.  It was windy and starting to rain....but I just didn't feel like there was any way I was going to be able to do them.  I agree with you that doing those after 30-40' of FTP work is just too hard.  I don't know how SS does it.  I think he doesn't feel pain....or has no functioning central nervous system.   

• Quick poll question, for those who were able to do IMTX camp:

What are you planning for next weekend (camp weekend per schedule)?  Plan calls for RR swim Thur, RR ride Fri with 1hr brick run, RR ride Saturday (or as long as you can tolerate), long run Sunday.   

While I'm sure this would be "good for me", the thought of back to back taint/neck abuse makes me feel ....not .  

Looking for some advice....this is my first full.  I have the ability (requested Friday off of work previously) to do it, and will, if advised, etc. I listened to the webinar/chat thing from Coach P, and he stressed that this camp week is not a deal-breaker, etc.  If I don't do camp weekend I guess I'd do long run Thursday, RR swim Friday, RR ride with 1hr brick saturday, Sunday off....right?  My taint votes for that!  

What are YOU doing?  

• Tough bike wko last night, but glad to have started it, as I was on the fence for a good hour before heading down to the cave. Been a stressful but successful few weeks at work, so sleep has been sacrificed. Ended up hitting 2x20' at 0.99 and 0.90. I hit the wall at the 15' mark of the second interval and knew I wouldn't have a chance at those nasty 110%ers. Planning to get the long run in this evening. Adv plan calls for 120 min, but includes 60' at Z1, 45' at Z2, and 30' at best effort = 135 min total. Am I missing something? Guess I'll see how I feel after 120 and take it from there...
  • Mike, I asked coach P that question about 135 vs 120 minutes for the long run. He said do the 135.
  • @JL, Camp Week is supposed to be in a couple of weeks, during Wk 15.  I'm not doing it again.  I need that 17-mile run more than a repeat of camp.  Plus, that Sunday off, at least in my world, will be very valuable rest in gearing up for the crucial/tough Wks 16 and 17.

@MW & TB, no way I was going to go 135 today.  2 weeks ago we went 105, last week was rest/test, and the next two weeks are 135. With a 120 today, I will progress from 15 - 17 - 17 - 18 - 18, which makes more sense to me than jumping straight up to 17 and holding it for 3 weeks.  I've certainly never seen an IM or Mary plan call for three 17's in a row.  But that's just me.  Whatever you do, be safe and smart.

Plus, 120 was plenty tough for me this morning.  Held 8:26's for the first hour, 7:42's the second.  Didn't quite hold MP the latter half, but unlike yesterday's WA attempt on the bike, today the effort was there.  After all of you killed the bike yesterday, no way I was going to let myself down two days in a row.  Hope everyone else nails the run.  We only have 4 long runs after this.

• 120 was tough for me today. HR was fine, but I could still feel some drag in my legs. Was able to get it done with negative splits for the most part on the second hour. I'm not sure if I'm excited or scared about there only being 4 more long runs?!

http://www.strava.com/activities/124386114
  • @ MR and EB - you guys just accept no EXCUSES!  Damn fine work today I must say!  Keep LEADING!

@MW - strong stats on the bike, AGAIN!

@Tim Cronk - LOL, the heat and humidity at IMTX will take care of any PR for me, I am just trying to not drown in the swim, stay in my box on the bike, and execute for as long as I can on the run, hopefully before the wheels come off.........How is the leg feeling today?

Long Run: http://www.strava.com/activities/124409949 

I chose to do 60' Z1, 45' Z2 and 15' Best effort then did 15' Cool down...

2, 16 mile runs in 5 days and wet shoes (which caused a *BFB on my right big toe) from dodging lightning bolts made this one rough......7 miles on the TM yesterday afternoon did not help either....but we are in the middle of an IM plan so, you just move forward...

*BFB = Big F*%!K!NG Blister

Safe training all!

• 130 min of running goodness. First 90 min in the morning with 25min at mp. Then a hard stop to get to work. At lunch I got back out for another 40min with another 15min at mp. Over all, 15mi covered.
    A good time was had by all.
  • Nice work Mike, Emily, Jimmy & SS!

Boy am I'm glad that run is over! Felt a little fatigued, but not really bad. The first hour was an easy Z1 9:37 pace. The 35 minutes of Z2 was awful as I was running in 17MPH headwinds the whole time. I couldn't get the Z2 without my heart rate really spiking so I just ran by HR at Zone 3.0 which yielded an 8:51 pace. Last 25 was downwind so I just tried to enjoy the free speed and didn't push over my low Z3, i.e. 8:08 pace. 13.24 miles. My run on race day is gonna take forever.
  • @ Jeff - Coach P indicated we could split that Saturday bike/run Camp in two and ride Saturday then run Sunday if wanted, given the early camp we just did............

@ Chris / Jimmy - "Getting it DONE"!  Nice work despite the fatigue and many other reasons your legs might have suggested otherwise!

• So far so good on my leg.... Run---2 miles on tues, 7.5 yesterday , and 4 miles today.....less than I would like and no intensity but it beats the alternative.... Improving
    Swim this am 45 min with 2 x 1000 easy, 12 x 33yds alternating hard/easy
    Bike... Sprint Triathlon Course Recon.... rode to it easy , did the 2 loop course @ .93 for 38.5minutes , then went sight seeing nice and easy on the way home
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/468579644
    Run... 4 mile easy brick run....
  • Wow! People are killin it in the training dept! I have been reading all the posts. But not much time to respond. This past Sun was a 90 min trainer ride same intervals as Sat. Felt good! Mon was a 3500 swim as written and an easy 5 mile run. Tu morn was a 7 miler treadmill with progression miles at sub 8 at the end. Wed was another 60 min bike + intervals and another 3500 yard swim. Today was 2 hrs or 14.25 on the treadmill!!!!! Started at 3 miles EZ. Then a few at 8:30, then progression from 8:20 to 7:40 for the remaining miles. I have to say...farthest I've ever run on my tm! The weather is just so crappy that I actually would rather run 14 on the tm. That's how bad it is. image. Supposed to be nice this weekend. Seriously...

Can't believe how fast re is flying by! Yikes! Way to keep the focus!!!
  • Long run done.  That was really painful.  Purposefully picked the hottest time of the day to start, and could definitely feel the difference.  As it cooled down a little, it got a little easier   But, could not hit the Z3 the last 25', was struggling just to hold Z2.  What doesn't kill me....  I felt like a failure as I was unable to get to Z3 (impending implosion, HR higher than usual, impending side stitch, legs on fire, etc).  But when I look at my CTL on Training Peaks, I think it is probably just a manifestion of the chronic fatigue and workload?  I have done 2hr runs before, but that was definitely the hardest.  

http://app.strava.com/activities/124509059

• OOOPS!!!!
    I misreported yesterday's run as 15mi. It was only 14. I not mathing two gud.

Also Jeff- that was a really nice run. You put about 9min on me anyway.

It is interesting to see how different people interpret the last part of the long run workout. I think that it reads something like "at the best pace possible". Some folks read that as "speed up". I read it as "try not to die". Y'all are a hard bunch. It is going to pay off for you come May.
  • I felt like Gumby in the pool today. Legs were toast from the run yesterday. It was my own fault. I didn't pay much attention to my nutrition/recovery afterwards, and I'm paying for it today. Lesson learned. Friday y'all! Finish out the week strong!
  • X2 what Emily said! Ugh...toasted legs from yesterday made for a less than enjoyable swim today. Recovery was nutrition was not on point and I paid the price. Need to eat more before swimmimg! Low back was sore about 2000 and I was so sloppy and slow I pulled the plug.

Tomorrow is a 5 hr bike (trainer) followed by a run.

Live to fight another day!!
  • Got the 3400m main set #1 in and frankly feel pretty good about it. Should be ready for the full distance swim sets when they start to pop up.
    The weekend weather is looking good here. I could conceivable only spend about an hour on the trainer over the course of the weekend. Fingers crossed.
  • I got to the pool carrying all my pool stuff except for my swim suit, so I had to go back home to get it.  It's always something like that with me no matter how much I plan ahead.

After all of my runs I just about can't walk because of a plantar issue that I've had since September.  I have to ice it, stretch it, etc. and usually the next day I'm okay.  Well, the 13+ miles yesterday had me limping way longer than usual. In fact, I've been icing it on and off all day to no avail.  My point in saying this is that I was really having trouble doing flip turns in the pool today as my foot hurt pretty good with every push off.  I ended up doing a lot of open turns and only pushing off with my good foot.  Got in 4500yds in 1:25, but at about 4000 I tried flip turns again and this time my foot just cramped up.   I'm just glad to be done!    

• Some very solid swims today all!!  Way to use that swim as active recovery!  Cronk laid down 5,000+ yards today at a fast pace....I look at that and just shake my head......amazing......

I had to move some things around due to 4 kids with me tomorrow and unfortunately had to move the long bike up to today, and could make that work this time considering my work schedule.   Not recommended, fatigue levels high from the week so just did what I learned from all you peeps, rolled up my sleeves, focused, refocused and refocused through each interval......at 4:58 I had a Century ride:  http://www.strava.com/activities/124686681/overview

Had to stop and take a work call at the 2:00 point.  At the 3:00 point a wasp flew into my helmet and decided to hang in my hair a while so had to pull over and take care of that.  Got lucky and dodged more thunderstorms as well.

Pulled a Coach P and drank an entire COKE at mile 70 which felt like steroids......I never drink coke or soft drinks.......

At 4:00, I asked myself what would MR, EB or JL do?

at 4:30 took a 2X Caf gel to get through and paid meticulous attention to all my nutrition throughout.  Came up with a 72% IF, right on the money and could eat a Polar Bear as I type this......hopefully swim/run tomorrow..........

Have a safe and hard working weekend!  Early to bed all!

•  Swim.  Done.  Far from fast.  But far.  Almost lost lunch halfway through, got a few calf and foot cramps, was swinging dead lumber at the end.  But I'll take it.

Distance

Time

Avg Pace/100yds

Total Strokes

Avg Strokes

Avg SWOLF

4:55

1:38

5:54

1:28

5:57

1:29

5:54

4:24

4:25

4:26

4:26

2:57

2:57

2:58

2:59

2:59

2:56

2:54

1:27

2:53

1:26

1:35

1:35

1:05:28

• @MR - textbook swim......amazing how your SWOLF does not worsen as you progress due to fatigue,  sign of great form and fitness!  Thanks for posting and sharing!
  • Two solid runs over the past 2 days. Headed out for my long run yesterday evening but got caught up in a work issue, so pulled the plug after 40' at Z1. Rebooted the LR this morning and ended up with 16.6 miles in 140 min. HR was elevated throughout and managed 830s for the first hour, 725s for the next 45' and took it down a few notches for the remainder. Ended up doing the Central Park loop 2x and was hating the hills the 2nd time around while trying to approach Z2. Massive Chipotle lunch was my recovery meal -- will need it with the bike work coming up.

Strong work on the swims, people!
  • @SS... thanks and that is a sic ride after your past week.... that is amazing

@Annie.... 5hr trainer ride... get pysched for it! putting it out there like you did really gets ya ready for it

@EB still recovering.... again I think the swim affects run/bike and the opposite is true much more than we think it does!

@MR .... Fish... very nice steady swim times...

@MW... reboot I like... getting it done on the long run.....

Did 2 swims today for a total of 6 swim sessions in the last 5 days.... total yards for the week 20,539
    Swim 1 was 5 x 1000yds with 60 sec rest intervals http://connect.garmin.com/activity/468971218
    Swim 2 was all fins and PB easy extra yardage http://connect.garmin.com/activity/469120296#
    Ran another easy 4 miles today so hoping I'm up for my longrun on Sunday.... THAT is the only thing missing at this point!

Looking at a 4.5hr bike tomorrow with a brick!

• Posted By <span class='af-profile-name'>Shaughn Simmons</span> on 28 Mar 2014 03:46 PM
    @MR - textbook swim......amazing how your SWOLF does not worsen as you progress due to fatigue,  sign of great form and fitness!  Thanks for posting and sharing!

My SWOLF was steady too today SS. It was just 39 the whole timeimage