Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

IMTX Week 5 of 12

13»

Comments

• long swim done.  Man that was a long time swimming (ie...I'm slow).  Was pleased that I was almost able to hit my TP for those last 3 x 200's.  Last one I hit it on the nose!  Funny how 3s over 200y is definitely harder.  I'm no swimmer and am just pleased to actually have "paces".  I'm using a tempo trainer to keep me consistent in spl and forcing me to maintain pace and focus.  But, 1:35 of beeping almost made me have seizure.  

• Let me catch-up for the week.  I'm transitioning from my old plan from Ironfit to my new EN plan, so some of work will be a little different than what you guys are doing.  My plan is to transition over by the end of next week.  

Monday - 3850 straight swim 1:11.  Plan called for 3500 but lost count.  Luckily my watch didn't.

Tuesday - 3500 swim with drills 1:20.  6 mile run 48;00 on treadmill,  plan called for 1:15 run.  I wasn't feeling as good on the run, still recovering from camp.  Had to stop to make my massage appt which helped my recovery.

Wednesday - 45:00 bike 15 miles and then a 30:00 brick run on the treadmill - Felt better on the today's run.

Thursday - Bike test for 60:00.  Treadmill run to warm up, strength training for the balance of the 1:30

Friday - 3600 swim with drills 1:20.  Missed the run due to work.  Try to make it up on Sunday with a much needed run test.

Today's plan is to work of the EN plan.  I think heavy bike plan is really smart.

I had a lot of fun with you guys at camp.  I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again in May.

• Just thawing out after the long bike. 5+ hrs with the last 3 hours in low 40 degrees and RAIN! Legs were heavy in the beginning of the ride, but after the first interval felt normal. Managed 7x25' at 75-80%. Happy to get back home and take a hot shower. No brick run for me as my long run was yesterday. Can't wait for the TX heat!
  • @Bill, welcome. Glad we didn't scare you off at camp.

@MW, nice effort. You're way more committed and brave than me. I got my 5-mile run with a Z4 mile (@6:42) at the end, but then the skies opened up. Water + lighning + 80 yo semi-blind drivers = poor riding conditions. So I sat on the damn Iron Maiden for 3 endless hours. After 2 hours, I found myself mentally creating the eBay auction description for "Mint Tri Bike - Must Sell." For those who live on the trainer, kudos.

Fortunately, the weather is supposed to be great tomorrow, and I'm signed up for a fully-supported century ride along the beach. I predict an enjoyable, solid LB. Hope everyone else is having solid Saturdays. 7 weeks!
  • Welcome Bill G.

@MW oh be careful what you wish for!

@MR that is just a shame you have to ride on a trainer in Florida!

Very Hard ride for me today... glad I'm not gonna ride IMTX that hard!!! I'm also glad that no way in hell will I be on my bike tomorrow... Hope to get that missing long run in.
    4.5hrs , 101.3 miles , 22.4mph , Entire ride @ IF .80 , First 3.5hrs @ IF .82, and the last hour was IF .74

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/469737235#

followed up with a 4 mile brick and I am cooked!

Hope everybody is crushing today's ride!
  • @ Bill - WELCOME and great to meet you last week!

@ MW - Holy Crap!  5+ hours in 40  degrees!  Are u warm yet?  Well Done!

@MR - 3 hours on the trainer!!!  I feel your pain bro but what doesn't kill you............Good luck tomorrow!

@Tim - after reading your post I had to stop and take an Endurox break followed by a full massage!  Keep leading and raising the bar!

My swim this morning: http://www.strava.com/activities/124897630

Run, 2 X 1s (was damn hot out): http://www.strava.com/activities/125049863

All are killing with no slowdown in sight!  Love it!

• ok. today went sideways.
    Plan was for an hour run with 1mi z4, kids soccer game, 3hr abp then off to replace wife's car.
    hour run went great. Got my z4mi and was quicker over all than last week. Soccer game went fine. Wife says can we do car first because I have a sitter if we go now. Sure.

8hrs later we get home. Happy with car happy with terms but good god was that an ordeal. I am done for the day asit is now dinner time. Could get on the trainer tonight but I think that I will just up the intensity on tomorrow's ride and move on.
  • Welcome Bill!!

NICE WORK to all you "regular" posters. Wow. Super impressed!

5 HOUR TRAINER RIDE!!!!!!! only got off 1x at 3 hr mark for under 3 min. Bathroom, more water, quick stretch.

Felt good the entire time. High Z2, low Z3 as prescribed. Left IT band a bit sore/tight? so skipped the brick run and ate a big breakfast instead. That counts as a brick right? image Took the dog on a 45 min walk/run when I got home to loosen up, followed by a 90 min massage. Aaaaahhhhhhhhh............

Btw...45 right now inMinneapolis and supposed to reach 60 tomorrow???? I survived the Polar Vortex!! Yee haw!
  • @ MW...5hrs in 40degree rain?  Wow.  That's some intestinal fortitude.  Way to get it done.  I hate the trainer....but not THAT much!

@Bill....welcome!  Glad to see you in here.  Good luck with the transition to EN plan.  

@MR...3 hours on the trainer is really almost as painful as 4, having done both recently. I enjoy your humor....(ebay post was classic!).  Good luck with the century tomorrow...be safe and keep both wheels on the ground.  

@Tim...a century with that climb?!...in 4:30?  And THEN you ran a 4mile brick?  What are you made of?  #nothuman  

@SS...nice aquarun....doesn't look like the heat slowed you down!

@JA....sounds like you made the right calls to me.  3hr ABP is solid, plus the run, and some SAU!  Nice day.  

@Annie....5hr trainer!  Impressive....and yes, 5hr trainer ride + big breakfast = brick in my book!  

I did the prescribed pre-ride 40 min run with 1 mi at TP, then MP for the rest.  I am finding it much harder than usual to hold my paces (even MP).....I guess it's just the chronic fatigue?  Didn't get much sleep last night (insomnia sometimes), which probably didn't help.  Ate some breakfast and then did the 4.5hr bike.  Held .78IF for 2.5 hrs straight (I don't see much point in the 5 minute rest b/w 25' intervals @.75-.8 and would rather just keep going and get it done). Then planned to turn it down to 0.7 or so for the remainder.  But was running late to pick up some of my kids and found myself heading back home into a nasty headwind.  On race day, I would just accept the slow speed and sit on my goal watts....but the clock was ticking and I couldn't bear to see the 13-14mph so I pushed a little more.  Remaining 2hrs was at 0.75ish.  Got 271TSS out of that ride, so pretty pleased overall.  I may have to turn down the 3HR ABP tomorrow....I am feeling pretty fatigued.  

http://app.strava.com/activities/124859033

http://app.strava.com/activities/124978514/analysis

Sure helps to see all you guys/gals persisting/posting and knocking out 5hr trainer rides and 4.5hr centuries including a freaking huge mountain with brick runs afterwards!  How can I NOT KMF?  

•  

Was thinking of you guys up north and east coast and such suffering through the end of winter.  Here's a couple of South Texas early morning pics for "ya'll".   In case you don't know, the flowers on the left are bluebonnets, the State Flower of Texas...kids here are taught that it is illegal to pick them or mow them (probably a wives tale).  They are more blue than the photo suggests, come out in the spring for ~3wks and grow in patches.  Not unusual to see families with car parked on side of road doing an impromptu photo shoot on the roadside!  

On the right are some animals called "cows"!  They are all over the place too!  I enjoy mooing at them as I ride by (except during Z4 intervals) and watching them look up from grazing in disappointment (I am a dork in case you haven't figured that out).  

Hope that brightens a potentially crappy day for someone!

• @Jeff...Thanks for the Texas pics!!! Gettin' excited!!!!

Have a great Sunday ya'll!! image
  • jeff - I bet we crossed paths this morning. taking pictures is a good idea. It was 42 when I hit the road so I had a jacket on with my phone in a zip lock bag. never dug it out.

4.5hr ride if of .73. First hr on trainer rest on the road. really slow in terms pf pace. really windy. I just tried to keep my eye on the power and keep eating.
    the 4.5 hr ride length is ugly but it is nice to know that yo have done the majority of the race ride when it is completed.
  • Rode 3 hours outside and had some real sharp pain in my left shoulder that I couldn't shake, even when sitting up.  In fact that was worse than in aero bars.  Tried to rub it out but ended up going home taking some medicine and getting on the trainer for the final 1.5hrs.  

Ended up with 1.5hrs at .77 IF, 1.5hrs at .80 IF and trainer 1.5 hrs at .70 IF.

Had to postpone yesterday's run till today due to my plantar still being in bad shape from Thursday.   I'm glad I waited because foot felt much better and I hit my zones with no issues.  I felt so good I ran my 1 X 1mile at Z5 and the remainder at Z3.  Probably a no no but I missed Friday's strides too.

About to head out for 3hr ABP ride.  Probably regret the Z5 run.  Have a great Sunday all!  Almost week 6.

• Well, I didn't quite get my 5-hr ride in, but I did complete the century. Strong headwind from the N today. Went from Palm Beach straight N through Jupiter, all the way to Jensen Beach and back. I did all my own work (no drafting). 179 NP (70%) @18.8 mph going up, 181 NP (71%) @23.4 mph coming back. Felt harder than 71%, but legs were fresh at end and I could have easily run. Still adjusting to and questioning my recent 14-point FTP bump. I'm using these rides to figure out my true 112 FTP and the numbers I should be targeting on May 17.

For those wondering, no, this was not a race. It was a charity ride. But I did win.

And, although I did ride by Tiger's little crib in Jupiter twice, there were no Lindsey Vonn jogging sightings.
  • @Mike Roberts.... Nice negative split (power) century.... I like the way you worded figuring out your 112 mile power... It just makes sense.... The Texas Ironman course doesn't care one bit whether your riding IF .75 with your old "FTP" or whether your riding IF .70 with your new "FTP".... But you will know what NP you want to ride for those 112 miles....I'm doing the same thing with my long rides , once I get several 5hr rides under my belt , comparing the NP of those rides with how I ran and felt afterwards , then I will most likely deduct an IF .01 for the swim and another IF .01 for that Texas heat on the second half , giving me a target NP just below my average of all my long 5hr rides.... Up until now I have been over-biking on purpose all of my long bikes from 3hr-4.5hr and will be toning them down closer to race pace for the 5hr monsters.

Got that elusive longrun in today with ZERO issues with my right leg that caused my HM DNF last weekend.... Hope to build on those in the coming weeks.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/470440830#
  • MR and Tim you are both beasts!!   You'll both likely be done with the run before I get to T2.

Got the 3hr ABP ride done.  First 1.5hrs at .784 IF (that included a 20min warm-up),  Second 1.5 hours at .832  A full 1 MPH difference in only 10 watts NP.  That sure seems like a big difference in speed for only 10 watts?  Wind hadn't noticeably changed either.  Sure makes me really cherish the 3 watts I gained at my last test.  

• @Jimmy I had a very similar day yesterday with trying to get my bike in. It just wasn't in the cards, and I looked forward to getting back in the saddle today.

I decided to ignore the wind advisory that was all over the news this morning. Crosby and I headed out with a wicked tailwind (weeeeeeeee.....) only to turn around at mile 30 into one of the most fierce headwinds I have EVER come across on a bike. It was like the chip seal on the course X5. @JL I was thinking of last weekend when we were laughing about going 11mph pushing 260 watts. I told Crosby when we got back that physically I felt great, but mentally I needed a margarita and a nap. Come to find out, we were battling 23+ mph gusts.

3 hours in saddle, .74 IF. A little more than what I wanted to push, but I'm just glad I didn't get blown over. Great work this week team!
  • 3hr ABP ride done.  Sounds like wind was the theme!  Last hour was straight into an 18-19mph headwind.  Forced me stay aero!  IF was 0.76.  

http://app.strava.com/activities/125469134/analysis

• this is gonna be harder than florida isnt it? I just looked back at my IMFL bike. 147w of NP got me around the course in 5:27. Pretty sure we had a tail wind the entire day.
  • Hi boys and girls!!!!

I feel like I have fallen off the face of this earth, and I've only been away from posting for 2 wks.  Busy week while you guys were at training camp.  I had to get my long weekend training in on Mon and Tues, since we took the kiddies to Scottsdale for MLB Spring Training.  Having a few days off from training felt like a lifetime, although I made sure that I got in those key workouts.  

I adjusted this past weeks training plan to accommodate Oceanside 70.3 which took place yesterday. I wasn't sure how my shoulder was going to hold up since I have not been allowed to swim for the past couple of weeks (pulled tendon and twisted ribs whenever I swim).  My swim was 4 mins slower from last year, at 35:17. (That stung). I have raced this course the past 3 years and I will have to say that the bike course has been the toughest yet due to the relentless headwinds and crosswinds this year. I know I have gotten stronger on the bike, but because of the winds, my times are not able to reflect that. I was pleased with the 8 min improvement I made on the run.  My finish time was 5:53:51 and was 21 out of 116 women in my AG.  

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/california/results.aspx?rd=20140329&race=california70.3&bidid=345&detail=1#axzz2xVggaoGP

Thanks for all your posts and for the motivation I'm able to draw from that.  A special shoutout for those who posted such valuable insights during training camp.  Keep it going...

• I forgot to mention that the total elevation gain on the bike and run for Oceanside 70.3, is what IMTX will be... but stretched out over a longer distance.  

• Very wet and cold weather on Saturday and Sunday, so I spent the weekend on the treadmill and trainer.  I got my test run in and both rides in, although both rides were late night finishes 1:00AM.

Saturday 1.0 hour run test on the treadmill - http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/W3VHR6NIR5HS5JZIQB7Z3HEIP4 

Saturday 4.5 hour ride on the trainer - http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/DIWDYQQBUUPO6POJZ7B7GRDVIU

Sunday 3.0 hour ride on the trainer - http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/MLGIPBWBT3TDSKUX4SEZSPRU4U

• @Linda, very nice race, especially on a wounded wing. Now, it'll be easier to focus on 5/17. Get/stay healthy.

@Jimmy, I think the TX and FL courses can run similarly, depending on weather. Last Friday, TX was a survival course. Saturday, it was a race course. I've raced FL with great conditions and I've raced it with some solid headwinds the last 30. FL is a relentlessly-flat cheatfest. TX allows you to stand, stretch and use a few more muscle groups. Both have patches of really poor road workmanship. In the end, though, it doesn't matter. Just ride your watts, let time take care of itself. There's part of me that hopes for a 6-hr bike split, as that means weather carnage and lots of prey to catch on the run. If I ride 5 hours, it means 65 degrees, all tailwind on the bike and a 179th AG place.

@Bill, 7.5 hours on the trainer? If I tried that, you'd be reading a news story about me right about now.
  • @ Jeff -- great pix. they really do help!

2+ hours on the trainer yesterday looking out on another downpour. Didn't worry about power and focused on staying aero for the whole time. Moved the bike upstairs in front of the TV and watched my Wolverines go down to Kentucky in another classic.

extra sleep this morning and hoping to swim + run tonight.
  • Seriously strong report across the board for a Sunday at the end of the week when the load is the heaviest regardless of wind, rain, cold!  Humbling to hang with a group like this to say the least!  4 more weeks of focused, fitness driving work left before we enter the two week maintenance/intensity period leading up to race day.

4 weeks of grind, but 4 weeks of opportunity.   Hope all are seriously recovering today both physically and mentally as much as possible.

I had a good Sunday though fatigued like the rest.  I did one hour of ABP early on the trainer, 1:15 of ABP outside (20 mph winds) then did a 6.0 mile run.....was 76 degrees but felt warmer...

ABP part I: http://www.strava.com/activities/125256685

ABP part II: http://www.strava.com/activities/125356113

EZ run: http://www.strava.com/activities/125437450   ....that felt hard..

Congrats Linda on a great HIM race/Time!

@ Bill - the most I have sat on the trainer is 4:20 and I certainly did not follow that up with a 3 hour ride the day after on the trainer again!  That is going to do you very well for the IMTX bike course.

@ MR - fantastic weekend of biking from you.  Pulling a Century on the last day with the load is amazing!

@ Annie - 5 hour trainer rides?? Seriously?  Between you, Linda and EB - I predict lots of guys getting CHICKED this year!

@JL - Strongest weekend you have had so far with no sign of weakening in sight!

@Tim - Saving long run for last day of the week but nailing it like a true veteran!  Glad the leg is coming back online with Sonic Boom speed again.

Onward to week 6!

• mike - great point. if I ride my watts and the bike is long then that means more time for others to execute poorly. And that 10 or so mile section in IMFL is seriously some of the worst road I have ever been on in a race.
    Anything like that on the texas course and if so how long and at what point?
    thx!
  • @Jimmy, 80% of the roads at TX are good, most importantly the last 30+. Best part of camp was learning the bad parts, so I'll know when the pain will start and end on race day. The roads on Taliaferro starting at 45 are pretty bad, there are a few hills (one solid small-chainring climb), but you exit after a few miles, only to face the wind for the first time. You then head through Richards on decent roads, only to turn S onto 2562 at about Mile 57 and face the trifecta of pain - strong headwinds, really terrible roads (worse than anything I've seen at FL) and hills. This continues on 2819 but slowly gets better (downhill). So . . . about 5-7 really tough miles. Mental gut check. I was actually laughing as I was rattling through at 12 mph, surprised I wasn't creating a bottle-launch yard sale. Probably won't be as funny on race day. At 65, you turn S onto 1486. The roads are still chipseal, much better than 2562, but still far from smooth. On Day 1, the headwind was brutal, which made the chipseal and hills on 1486 pretty bad. Not trying to frighten, but it was really tough. Small-chainring climb at 70, roads flatten and smoothen out around Mile 75 (relief) and the chipseal disappears for good around 82 (huge relief) when you turn onto Jackson. On Day 2, the wind wasn't as strong, which made 1486 much more manageable, especially when you're drafting off Coach P. Jackson had a few scary-deep pothills that should be patched by race day. Otherwise, despite a hill or two on Jackson, at that point the roads are smooth, downhill and fast (lots of 23-26 mph readings on both days) all the way to T2 (with a bridge overpass at Mile 111 - you'll feel it because it's . . . at 111). If you can mentally gear up for a tough time through these stretches (on a windy day) or a sufferfest (on a really windy day), you'll be better prepared than those who will have no idea when/if the bad will ever go away.
  • thanks mike. That helps. I will review your notes with the course map as we get closer to race day. If nothing else sticks, I will remember that the fun starts over the last 30mi. Which is a pretty considerate way to aly out a bike course actually.