Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IMLP Week 10 ( Shits getting real )

2»

Comments

• Options
    58? That's practically tropical. I hope to get in the water tomorrow with my tri club and it's only 50 here. Not sure how long I'll last at that temperature.

I'm very proud - I actually managed to get my Thursday long run done on a Thursday this week. ~11 miles in the bag. I think the most painful part was getting up at 4:45 am but once I was out there, it wasn't so bad.
  • Options

@Steve, My work schedule has been totally messed up. I am working a night shift Sat to Sun. I have to do the return commute to pick up my car tomorrow. I am going to stretch that to 95 miles. I am going to check the big lake this afternoon. We have some pretty strong wind today so I am not expecting the best conditions. Pretty sure the temp is still in the 40's.  We'll see.

• Options

@Brad, I agree with Jen 58 degree's, don't need a wetsuit for that warmth.

@Edwin, okay dude have a great ride !

• Options
    I owe some back documentation....but here is today: Hilly and windy makes holding steady challenging. I keep thinking my Z1 is 9:30 (VDOT42) -10:00 (VDOT 40) But its 9:48-10:30 So I've overclocked it again -Z2 segment is about right however HR says its too fast for "real" Z2 pace. Felt OK Tried to get progressively faster after 1 hour.

Summary 1:33:50 AVE 9:14
    1 9:47
    2 9:28
    3 9:37
    4 9:43
    5 9:41
    6 9:34
    7 9:01
    8 8:36
    9 8:17
    10 8:29 part CD
    10.17 9:46 CD
  • Options
    14.5 on the run today. I wasn't able to nail the last portion of the run tonight like last week but I did get progressively faster. I'm sure this is due to the race effort run yesterday. The legs weren't sore and didn't feel abnormally fatigued but the body must've been. I was breathing way too hard for the EZ portion of the run and my heart rate never really got up to where it should've been. No worries, I'll attack it next week.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/500231994
  • Options

@David, That was a very solid effort.

@Steve, I hope you and the Ottawa crew stay safe. Today has some strong weather headed to the mountains. The road conditions will be poor. I hope your tent site is high.

• Options

Awesome first day here in LP, did 115 km ride 45 min run.Pretty happy with my effort today. Kept it real and I had a net gain of 15 mins of the first 90 kms bike from a month ago. I laid back on the flats after Keene and rode steady till Ausable knowing I was about to hit head winds and then start to work.Jay to Wilmington was a great ride effort paid off by not burning matches early.My nemesis of this course of many years riding is the Notch to the stone walls. I was happy to put a steady ride with effort to push through this part. By far my favorite is the bear hills and was able to challenge myself to scream up the hills smart and I did repeats today on this section to finish my riding day.

Running has alway's been my "go to" when I need to quantify things are working right. After the bike my run was consistent up and down the rollers. In all a good first day.

Nutrition on the bike 4 bottles of gatorade, 5 gels, all started with a good breakfast of course. Last gel taken 20 mins before the end of the bike to set up the run and only a half bottle used in the run.

Tomorrow Day 2, schedule 2 loops minus out and back 150 km ride then time to get in Mirror lake for my first OWS.

• Options
    @Steve, nice work up there! Get it done again tomorrow. I can't believe you're going to OWS!

I had a good day of training today. I skipped the swim yesterday and hit the pool today instead. They had the long course set up so I was swimming 100 meter laps. I've never swam in a 50M pool. It was great not having to turn so often. I really felt like I was able to get into the groove. I got 3000 meters in but I hit the wrong button on the watch at one point. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/501032059

Pre-bike run went well. My legs felt really great and nailed the paces. I got in 5.4 miles. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/501091597

And then the bike ride. Got it done and hit the goal watts for all the intervals. My legs were pretty beat at the end. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/501486466

Hope everyone is crushing their workouts.
  • Options
    @steve - I hope your day 2 of training in Placid went well...interested to hear your report with regard to the OWS. Let us know!

4 hr ride complete and felt good through the entire ride. I think I finally have my nutrition somewhat dialed in after many tries. Heading to VT (killington) on Memorial Day weekend to get some extra biking (and climbing) in.

I hope everyone had a good week of training and recovering.
  • Options

Steve, Great to here you had a terrific day one. I am really missing being there. On the plus side, I got to work all night. I am definitely tired as I had to read your post twice. The first time through I ready your favorite was BEER hills. Love hearing the detail you remember from your rides. How are the road conditions. Have they done any work on Route 73 down to Keene? How was the water temp in Mirror Lake?

Doug, great work. I swam in a 50 last May in D.C. It was a way better swim. Those turns really mess up your rhythm.

This week is a Race Rehearsal weekend. What are your thoughts for the training week?  

• Options
    @Peter, way to get the nutrition working, that's huge! Enjoy VT next weekend.

@ Steve, copy on Peter and Edwin's request for a road condition report?

Sunday ride done. It hasn't been warm here but at least it was sunny and dry today. I would love for it to get a little warmer if only so that I don't have to stop and pee every 30 minutes! Legs were a little stiff when I started out today but after the 30 minute warmup I felt pretty good. Managed a .81 IF on the entire ride. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/502362484
  • Options
    @Edwin, The plan I'm following has Saturday as a "Big Tri Day." During the bike segment the plan calls for 4 hour ride including 5 X 25'(5') @ .75 - .80 and the remainder @ .70 - .75. If yesterday is any indication of how it will go for me, I will bomb on the run. I don't think it's a matter of nutrition but of bike pacing...I think the first race rehearsal at camp will give me a lot better indication of how my training is progressing as we build toward the race. My goal on Saturday will be to hit the high end of the bike intervals and let the run fall where it will.
  • Options

Okay first up is road report. Bottom at Lsa G's is a wipe out. Doing sewer work, next is ride out of town on your first hill warm up alot of tar. Once your at the top making your way to the cascades alot of patch and potholes. You have to be aware it will rip a tire off your rim if not watching. I end up riding the yellow line and watching my back alot. Keene well the elements are the winds with potholes. I use to do areo in the TT bars all the time now I do a combination because of the road conditions. After Keene that's it road conditions are great.

Next up water conditions, I could have gone into today for OWS there were french Canadians swimming but my thought's were on getting over to beer hill and have a beer.So Monday after my run will be feasible I believe to get in the water.

Next, we had dinner at "The Cowboy" our LP dinner location and the food was great, Simon picked a good location.

So today's workout was an awesome humbling 4 hr ride on tired legs where I did a 2hr out then back. So Keene was out and I came back up after. I alway's cringe knowing I have to get back up Keene but it alway's is my best part of the ride. Oh did I mention headwinds ugg !Limped in after 4hrs and managed 110 kms. So a two day total of 225kms . Next up tomorrow will be a loop of the run course and an OWS. It is awesome to see so many fisherman out fly fishing on the Ausable river . Then that's it back to Ottawa, cheers peeps.

Next on the agenda is Rev 3 Quassy in 2 weeks, who here on the thread is doing this event !

• Options

So Today was going to be "Big Tri day".....however pool ended up closed so.... (Im pushing a bit because I'll be "OFF" training Thurs PM to MON.)

5:30hr ride 100ml even +1 hr run ..... ouch! Ride sucked because I left my ID at work so nowhere to ride on post any distance so had to do on trainer.

RUN Brick right off bike:  

Summary 1:00:04 Z1 9:48-10:30 Z2 8:25-8:55

1 9:48

2 9:36

3 9:33

4 8:50

5 8:51

6 8:36

6.50 9:35

Legs felt good....but energy was waning by mile 5 (didn't bring gels/fluids on run) besides I really think 10K VDOT too fast for "Big Bricks"...Hard to do the VDOT from HM for Z1 though (>10 min is a struggle to keep good form) but GRP is way comfortable as EZ ~9:30

RIDE: Done after a bit of Abs and upper body to make up some for lack of swim

Distance: 100.16 miles (longest ride -by far- since my IM race in 2012 BTW)

Time: 5:31:05

Avg Speed: 18.2 mph

Avg Moving Speed: 18.2 mph

Max Speed: 25.3 mph

Avg HR: 126 bpm

Max HR: 175 bpm (Z5+)

Avg Power: 150 W

Max Power: 327 W

Max Avg Power (20 min): 194 W (Z4+)

Normalized Power (NP): 163 W

Intensity Factor (IF): 0.813

Training Stress Score (TSS): 361.4

Work: 2,965 kJ

So I realize I pushed the last hour way to hard if at race. ....but pretty valuable results -only lost 3 lbs (that's good for me) and no real bonks in ride. Oh and did it in "new" one piece and even aero helm for some neck conditioning.

Tomorrow RECOVERY! (Ill swim TUE, WED, THR before the big off block) TUE and WED will be mini- Big Tri days w/ all 3 sports Hard run/EZ Bike, Hard bike/EZ run) And Ill try and get some band work + core at hotel before wife wakes up over weekend. I'm gona look FWD to the off time me thinks!

BYW does anyone know how to stop the auto double -extra spacing?

• Options
    @Steve, Glad you had a good few days in LP. Thanks for the road reports as well. I'm looking forward to checking things out while I'm up there for the camp.

Need to do a little catch up here, missed posting most of this week.

This week's workouts went well. The weekday swims are still a scheduling issue and I've usually been substituting strength and or the Halo trainer in place when needed. Since I had to miss last Sunday's 3 hour bike I added a SF bike workout, Hell Hath no Fury , on Monday after work. Thursdays long run was done before work last week & it was tough to push the pace for the second half, still got a negative split but didn't have the push I wanted. I think some of that had to do with the shorter recover time between Wed's run & bike that were done later in the day on Wed.

Most of Sat's 4 hour ride was good, I was flagging a bit in the 3rd hour but it came back together for the 4th. I ended up doing a 1 hour run following the ride instead of the pre-ride 35 min due to the weather. I was still able to get the two threshold intervals in so that felt really good.

Sun. turned into a semi-big day. 1 hour swim, 3 hours on the bike and another 1 hour run. I was really missing the 400 mile shorts I wore on Sat. by the end of the bike! My legs were pretty toasted on the bike & I wasn't sure how that was going to pan out on the run. I didn't try to insert any intervals but I did hold a steady pace for the 1st half and bumped things up for each of the last 3 miles.

Today was originally going to be a rest day since I moved the swim to Sunday but it looks like I may be able to get my first OWS swim in after work if the timing works out with other club members.

We're past the halfway point! I've got the White Mtn Tri in just 3 weeks & the camp the following week. They both seemed so far away on March 10th....
  • Options

Yesterday I did the interval run WKO. That went very well. Hit my numbers and ran a little over 6 miles. I decided to try my first open water swim of the season. I live on a body of water called Silver Lake. However, the maps all refer to it as "Mud Pond". The water was warmer than I expected and I had over dressed. The weeds were much thinker than I expected as well. It was really more of a resistance swim. After about 4/10 of a mile and not really finding any open water, I bagged it. I should have braved the cold water of Lake Ontario. Today, I did my interval ride as a commute to work and home. I left my house at 4:40 a.m. and should have know things were going to be tough when 2 miles into the ride, my headlight lost power. The next ten minutes were pretty dark. I made it to work but not with any special time. The ride home felt great. I picked  a longer route home. There was a northwest wind blowing and that was the direction I was riding. Even against the wind I was having a great ride. 4 miles from my house as I came to a stop sign I messed up. I tried to shift to an easier gear as I was coming to the stop and just dumped my bike. Now I have a nice chunk of road rash and a very sore butt. The 20 miles before that point were great. I averaged of 220NW with an IF of .815 and 20.2 mph. That was right where I wanted to be. I am icing right now and having a brother who is a Chiropractor is a big advantage. I will be getting adjusted in an hour. The long run schedule for tomorrow is going to interesting. I hope everyone stays focused. Crashing sucks.

• Options
    @Edwin, Sucks about the crash. If you can find some, Tegaderm works well on road rash. Keeps it clean and it doesn't scab.

Hoping for the first OWS tomorrow night, last night got cancelled due to a few thundershowers rolling in. image
  • Options
    Ah man so close to home Edwin sorry to hear, heal well and carry on !
  • Options

@ Edwin - hope you feeling better after you get "straightened out" and the road rash heals quickly. Super good luck for that run tomorrow pushing through that soreness.

I switched things up this week trying to accomodate some mandatory family time this weekend to make up for next weekend's race at Quassy.  Did the 1 hr bike outdoors today.  Hit z4 for most of it and felt really good.  The sun was shining!  Out for a 40 min run after and hit z2 and z3 where I was supposed to.  All's good here.  Going to do my long run tomorrow also.  I hope the rain holds of just for the 2 hrs I have to be out there!  The next 4 days are supposed to be wet, so that's not making me happy, particularly for the big tri day I'm doing on Friday.

• Options

Thank you everyone. I didn't get hurt too bad, but I will be sore tomorrow. The adjustment has helped and so is the ice.