Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

Week 14... 7 To Go

Did 4.5 hour ride on saturday per the plan and then bumped yesterdays ABP ride to 4.5 as well to get a bit more volume before this weeks Camp Week. I am doing Camp Week a week early as I have reservations in CdA Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Sundays ride was perfect...great weather, nailed nutrition, and felt strong. A total of 7500 feet elevation this weekend and today still feel good. This mornings swim was good as well and had two people tell me I was swimming strong (good for the ego). So I am jumping to week 15 on the schedule and then will come back to week 14 after recouping from this weekend.

Comments

• Options
    I had good long bikes both Saturday and Sunday. Realized after my ride Sunday that my seat had slid down about an inch (must not have been tight after reassembly from boxing it up for WF). Such a small difference but could feel something in my knees. Any worry about it went away when this mornings run all felt well.

@Steve-I too am doing Week 15 this week and next week will do #14. Appears the only difference really is that FRI-SUN will be BIG days. Wish I was going to ride the course in CDA--be interested in your thoughts.
  • Options
    This was a good weekend for me mentally. I was able to get all the volume in on both bike & run (though I'm still staying in between zone 1 & 2 on the run). Sundays ABP ride was especially good in terms of fitness. Calf is feeling good on the run - I kinda feel like I'm starting to hit my stride which is encouraging. I feel like each week I'm treading out into new territory in terms of volume of work. To be honest - it's still a little surreal to me that I've got the endurance to put out 9 hours of workout in two days - fun...but still surreal.

Swim this morning was good - 4100 meters...which I'm pretty sure is the biggest swim workout I've ever done. Chalk that up as another milestone.

I was a wrestler in college and after I graduated I figured I was done with my major athletic en devours. I never imagined I'd be attempting something as daunting as a full IM. It still feels ridiculously daunting...but my confidence is slowly building.
  • Options

David- the Ironman distance IS daunting, but it's also achievable. Do your training, and trust your training! You'll have a great race day.

• Options

I'm also switching things up a bit this week. This coming Sunday, I'll be doing a HITS Olympic distance tri in Grand Junction, CO, so that will count as one of my swims, my bike interval workout, and my run interval workout. Thursday is my travel day - heading for 4 weeks in Snowmass CO, living @ 8400' and training @ 6200' for runs, 7900' for swims, and whatever for bikes (routes are between 5500 & 12,100').

So I wanted to get in my long bike and run before I leave. The Pac NW weather is cooperating again, so I did 78 mi in 4 hrs, 47 min. I did 8 intervals varying from 14 min to 41 min, depending on the terrain, for a total of 204' of work time (plan called for 200') @ +/- 0.75 IF. Last week, I kinda bonked, so I paid more attention to nutrition and fluids, and managed to stay in focus until my cool down thru town starting @ 4:30 into the ride. I rode 25 minutes less, but covered the same distance and had the same TSS as last week. I did manage to lose 2.2 pounds, though, meaning I was gating in 16 oz/hour and needed 24/hour. I should know this, as that is what my last IM race plan called for, and what I executed with good results in AZ last fall. I just can't seem to get myself to wake up and drink 6 oz every 15 minutes when I;m out riding by myself. Guess I;ll have to set an alert on the new Garmin Fenix2 watch I just for 5 days ago.

• Options

I had a really good swim workout this morning. A local guy has been helping me with my swimming so I am not exactly following the EN workouts. I am finally seeing improvement! Today was lots of 100s and I did a bunch of them in the 1:42 - 1:43 range. A month ago my all out sprint was just under 1:50!

I followed up the swim with the 2x1 mile run which also went well. However, mid-run a friggin bird landed on my head! Does this mean anything? Is it a sign?
  • Options
    Peter, you should be OK as long as it didnt leave anything behind.
  • Options
    I triple checked and then took a shower so I am pretty sure I am OK!
  • Options

Had good but tough swim this morning, made all the yards + optionals. During the run, 6 miles with 2 x 1 mile at Z4, I had a bug fly into my mouth and nearly puked trying to get rid of it. With the added nutrition plan I was able to hit all my paces and averaged nearly Zone 3 for the entire run. 

Tomorrow I am doing the run first. Then instead of hitting the 2 x 18's on the trainer, I am getting in a 50 miler before work. The route I do has some longish climbs that will simulate those sets without me suffering in the garage. Also my tri bike is getting a tune today and I want to shake it out before taking it to Couer d'Alene for the two 112's this weekend.

• Options
    I had an average five mile run this morning, then FAILED this PM on the swim. After the third 300, when my pace persisted at 2 sec over the prescribed, and I was feeling sore and tired, i got out and went for a haircut. Of course, my TSB being lower than it has been in over a year, being two pounds underweight, sleeping an extra hour last night, and last week doing more meters swimming since I was in college, as well as looking forward to my 135 min run tomorrow AM made the decision to pull the plug pretty easy. I hardly feel guilty at all.
  • Options
    It's ok to pull the plug sometimes during the weekday swim sessions. I did the same Monday night, i was in the pool late around 9pm and got halfway through the workout when I decided i'd rather go home and stuff my face then finish the swim. I rebounded by doing the main set + optional swim Tuesday morning.

• Options
    Went to the Dodger game last night with the family, and then woke up at 4:00 AM this morning to do the bike workout. Hit the 2x20' Z4 intervals just fine. Again, I did not attempt the 3x5' at 110%. I am not sure I will be able to get the run in today, which is ok because I am pretty spent from the lack of sleep last night. Plan to go to bed early tonight to prepare for the monster run tomorrow.
  • Options
    Did my bike test this morning with my shiny new PowerTap - I dropped a post into the Power & Pace forum with my observations / questions - http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/15427/Default.aspx

Finished that and went out for the run - which was tough b/c I was freakin' spent from the bike test. But I feel it's important for me to get the volume on my legs since I didn't run much in April.
  • Options

Just got my bike back after getting it tuned. So instead of doing the trainer ride I decided to get a 50 miler in. Started with the 40 min run hit mostly zone 2 and flirted with zone 3 for a bit. I have noticed the big bikes take a lot out of me for the runs. Then changed for my bike ride. 51 miles 2:48:00, was working on flattening out the hills so my IF stayed around .70. 

Looking forward to getting on the race course this weekend and finally putting to rest those butterflies regarding the bike course.

• Options

Long run today, as I'm traveling tomorrow. 15 miles, 2:07 (avg pace 8:30). I was not able to power up in the last 2 miles as I did last week. My last six miles went like this (pace/avg HR): 7:46/129, 7:31/135, 8:03/134, 7:57/133, 8:25/131. 9:26/122.

Friday, Swim/Run, Saturday, SS ride up (and down) long hills maybe 90-150 minutes, Sunday, Olympic Distance HITS tri. My wife thinks I'm excited about getting to race again. I guess she;s right.

• Options
    @Al - I marvel that you're heart rate stays so low at those running paces.  That's amazing to me....I'm a few years (okay...maybe more than a few ) younger than you and my HR at those paces would be in the 140s.  Your heart must be ridiculously efficient.  
  • Options
    What nice weather we are having in Seattle this week and I have no business travel this week, first week all year. Got out at lunch to do the 75 min ride. Did the 2 x 20 Z4 and then for my 110% effort had a 10 minute hill climb to get home which was 300+ watts the whole climb. Will run this evening while my son is warming up for his little league game. Not finding time to fit in swimming this week, worried about that.
  • Options
    @David ...my resting HR IS 36-40, depending on how fit I am. Been that way all my (adult) life. I think its from the ten years of swimming age11-20, as my heart fitness was developing. I dont test my max HR, but since I started monitoring @age 51, Ive never seen it hit 170. I suspect its low-mid 160s. Theres really no basis for comparison between people re: HRs. Eg, William Jenks just posted his Boston race report ... Hes 49, and his HR the whole way was 170 or so, while I was doing pretty much what you see in those last six miles. We were probably both working just as "hard".

My HR is steady enough that I can use it as my co-primary metric, along with RPE, for run intervals over 5 minutes and races. I can usually tell within a couple bpm what my HR is based on my RPE; correlation with pace is not nearly as close, due to terrain, temp, hydration differences.
  • Options
    I'm traveling this week so my schedule is all off. I've only missed today's FTP session; however, both of my pool sessions were cut short. Looking forward to get back on track with tomorrow's run.
  • Options
    Today was my swim RR. Did it in a 25 yard pool, that was a little too warm. 4200 yards (168 lengths) in 1:11:58. Not sure how that should translate to an ironman swim, but I do know that I was 1000 yards into it before I felt remotely warmed up. My arms were fatigued from the Monday and Tuesday swims.
  • Options
    Big confidence booster for me this morning. Felt comfortable enough with my calf to go long (123 mins; 14.67 miles; 8:24 pr/mile) - first run over an hour since Oceanside (3/29/14). I never attempted to hit zone 2 (7:40 pr/mile) - ended up averaging zone 1 minus 30 seconds. Very encouraged as we head into the last 6 weeks until IMCDA.
  • Options
    @David Thats awesome! Looks like Jon (who you met at Austin) also had a good comeback run this morning!
  • Options

Glad to hear it David! Regarding not hitting Zone 2...with all the bike volume I have been doing I have a hard time hitting my Zone 2 at times also. And I didn't have a run injury.

• Options
    Sounds like your recovering well David! A big rain storm rolled through Atlanta last night and this morning so I'm doing my long run tonight in 14 mph winds....should be fun!!
  • Options
    Boom! long run done! Covered 14.4 miles in 2:01 so an 8:24 average pace. The last 4 miles were 7:54, 7:42, 7:51, and 8:35....slowed down a bit on the last one for two monster hills as I came back into my neighborhood. Felt pretty strong the whole way!
  • Options

Strong work, David and Steven!

• Options
    bike test + run on Wednesday + first 2 hour run in a LONG time yesterday = body feeling fairly whipped. Per coach Patrick's podcast this week & much to my wife's disbelief I'm opting to take the day off - slept an extra hour and a half this morning what was great and will shrug off the feelings of laziness and guilt.. Will rest today to try and get ready for this weekend's volume. Hope you all have a great Friday!
  • Options
    I did the swim and run this morning but felt a bit sluggish. My biggest problem at this point is actually chafing. I have never had chafing problems before, but I have never run this much before either. I am literally bleeding "down there." I need to figure something out. For now I am trying Vaseline.

I am still feeling positive though because I had a monster run yesterday. I ended up doing 19 miles at a 7:02 pace and set a half marathon PR with the work at the end (1:28:37).

Tomorrow is gonna suck because I have to do the long ride on the trainer again image I am looking forward to the race rehearsals next week!
  • Options

Checking in and feeling groovy.  Did my long run on Wednesday PM and much to my disbelief I wasn’t A BIT sore on Thursday. Even did about 3 miles easy with strides just to check in on myself    I have been dialing back the intensity a bit (just a TINY bit faster than EP to start with a nice (1'/mile overall) negative split but lack of soreness was an unexpected surprise and a first for me. Trying to figure out what it was so I can bottle it and sell it.     

Also, 1st OWS of the year this morning with the local tribe. GLORIOUS!   Wish we could start every day with an OWS!

@ All (except Steve S): Camp week cometh!  SOOOOSOOOO exciting!  (Standiing by for your updates from this weekend Steve!)

@ David: Congrats on getting a long run in – sounds like you’ll be healed up just in time!

• Options
    Great job everyone with the long runs, sounds like folks are doing great. I'm on week 15 and did race rehearsal this morning will post in thread and then I'll be on week 14 next week.

David--Glad your entry back into running is going well. Welcome to the world of biking with power, it is a game changer!
    Peter--Ouch! I've found certain shorts are better than others and just shorts nothing else also helps. I've found that body glide works good and then cortizone after in areas that have minor chafing or neosporin pain relieve for more major chafing
    Steve S-Anxious to hear your RR report and thoughts on the CDA. So cool you went out there. Did mine this morning and will post something in the other thread when I get a chance.

May we all have great rides this weekend!
  • Options
    Strong work all. I've decided to rest my foot next week. My plantar fasciitis really got in the way of yesterday's run. I guess doing 2 HIM back to back was a little much. Going to rest, use the Strasburg sock and get a sports massage. I did manage to get in 4 swims this week. :-)