Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

70 Days to the best day of your life( Make every training day count, stay focused eyes on the prize

So this was a hard week for me due to work.I am part of a team that operates the Nantucket Wine Festival. We do 70 events over 5 days. Anyway i was able to do some sort of workout once a day. My body is tired but now I am focused on Rev 3 Quassy. Is anybody else doing a HIM before IMLP. Stay focused, eyes on the prize...

Comments

• Options
    You will see me at Quassy! Tough week for me, though more of my own doing. Yesterday rode my bike three hours to Boston from New Hampshire then ran in a 5 Miler, where I set a new PR by over 3 minutes. I am cooked tonight. Skipping the low priority swim then right back in tomorrow. Big Day on Saturday!
  • Options
    @Simon- way to persevere and get it done. The juggling act hasn't been easy for me lately either. As you say, stay focused on the prize!

I will be racing Quassy with you next week. For some reason, I've never felt less prepared for a HIM...maybe it's that I'm using it as stepping stone to get to LP or maybe it's the fact that there will be little to no taper or recovery...either way, my focus is definitely more towards LP than Quassy.

This brings me to a question for the group. I see that we have a "Big Day" scheduled for this week. Considering I have a HIM on the calendar for next, can that count in place of this week's big day?
  • Options
    @Brad I would use your big day for Quassy. To be honest I have treated Quassy as a training day. Yes it is a race, this will definitely give you a good sense of where you at. I would say make sure your nutrition is dialed in. Quassy always finds a weakness. Point being don't put any pressure on yourself, test yourself.
  • Options

@Brad I asked that same question in the Micro Forum and have not gotten a response yet. Since the Big Day is not fitness related more about dialing things in, and having the day after off and then having an 'easy' week using the "How To Insert A Race" plan from the Self-Coaching Wiki, I thought I would go forward with the Big Day. Unless of course I hear differently in the Micro Forum.

--Larry

• Options

This week was tough getting everything in. Feeling like I am in constant GO mode...up at 4:00 and I just hit the ground running.  Work has just been getting super busy, had extra meetings and stuff going on. BUT I got the work in and feeling good about it. 2 great rides this weekend, but the end of my long ride yesterday was tough...my legs were screaming at me on my climbs.  Haven't felt that in a while so I thought it would be good to just skip the low priority swim today. Will get right back at it tomorrow!! I will see you all at Quassy and I am really looking forward to it! I also have a big day on my plan and was wondering what I should do about that....@ Larry and Brad- could you let me know what the response is from coach? Hate to ask the same question again. As Simon says, STAY FOCUSED EYE ON THE PRIZE. (I will repeat this numerous times over the next few days as I continue to juggle!).  

• Options
    @Simon, Is LP on the list for one of those wine tastings? image

I'm not going to be joining everyone at Quassy but I'll be doing the White Mountain Tri (HIM distance) in Franconia, NH the following weekend. I actually just started a macro thread a few minutes ago to see if my plan modifications made sense for the WMT and the IMLP training camp the following weekend. After this past weekend I feel pretty good about being prepared for the WMT.
  • Options
    So as soon as I posted the question here regarding the BD and possibly replacing it with Quassy, I went and posted it on the micro forum to Coach P. Then I realized that coach R was available to chat so I asked him the same question. He asked me if I was planning to race Quassy as an 'A' race. I told him I'd go in treating it more of a 'B', but knowing myself, once I got out there, my competitive juices will most likely kick in. He thinks I should do the BD this week AND race Quassy.....I had a feeling Rich would say that image. I'll have to give it some thought and decide on this. Thanks for the input guys...you are quick to respond. I look forward to seeing you all at Quassy!
  • Options

@Brad, I was going to share with you what he told me, but you got to ask him before I saw this.  I asked Coach P the same thing a few weeks back and got the same answer.  I'm also doing the full training right up to Quassy and then the recovery week per the Self Coaching Wiki after to get back to IM training plan ASAP.  

See you guys at Quassy!  

• Options
    No HIM for me but rest assured I'll be keeping an eye on those of you are racing Quassy!

@Larry, great work on the ride and PR, congratulations!

@Laura, IM training is pretty intense. I feel the same way about being on the go all the time. I'm looking forward to the planned day off on Sunday.

4500 yards in the pool today before work. Longest swim of the year. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/503051704

7 mile recovery run including 12' @ MP in the afternoon. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/503095639
  • Options

As Simon alluded to it can be a hard training day or test youself day ! I too will be doing IMLP. This venue is a really good marker for your legs/lungs and your ability to drive to the finishline. I did this race last year as a "drive hard to the finishline"! Within the race I paid attention to the details fluid, fuel,keep HR from racing away,monitor power(don't burn matches) and stay upright ! It was a blast with all the EN'ers. If you have not had the opportunity to do hill trg of sorts and are doing IMLP this will be a good trg day for you.Looking forward to meeting new members and seeing old warriors again ! Cheers Steve !

• Options

I just finished mapping out the "big days" to give my wife fair warning of days I will be out of service.  Im switching my big day to next week, and bumping up to 4.5 hours on the bike this Saturday.  Hope it works out well.  

Im really concerned with the run.  SLOWLY coming back from a stress fracture suffered at IMFL last November, but switched to the Hoka One One's and they have been a dream.  My long run is only 8.5, but pain free and legs/lungs didn't hate me, so good deal.

• Options

I'm gonna jump in this group for some IM training mojo. I'm racing Lake Placid but will be doing Canada on the same day, but its a much smaller group. Due to previous commitments on the weekends ( travel, wedding, anniversary weekend) the long rides have been limited but did manage to get in a 3 hr 60 mile ride this past Saturday. From here on forward, I'll be able to stick to the plan. Got in 3200 in the pool this morning, run will be tonight after work.

• Options

Nice work everyone.  Keep it up! 

I got in 3200 in the pool yesterday.  Felt pretty good.  Heading out to run shortly before today's pool session.

I'm also doing my big training day this week, even with Quassy HIM next weekend, but I think I'm going to push mine up to Friday to impact family time less over the weekend.  It's getting more difficult to fit in the longer sessions and keep everyone happy.  

• Options

I'm not doing Quassy (it's a little far away... can only make it back to the states once a year:-)) but I've got the St. Pölten 70.3 on the schedule this weekend. The weather is making me a bit nervous - it's supposed to be hot (25-30 C) and humid with the possibility of a storm on Sunday. Last year they had to cancel the swim because the water/air temperatures were too cold and it would be dangerous for the athletes but now it looks like they've swung the other way. If anyone is up early Sunday and feels like tracking me, I'm nr. 1026 :-) 

• Options
    @Jen, Good luck in the race this weekend. That looks like an interesting swim course, do you run from one lake to the next? That run looks really nice. Hoping for good weather for you!
  • Options
    I was thinking of the title of Simon's thread today "70 Days..." Breaking that 70 days down...the last 2 weeks are tapering and race day, can't build any fitness or do any catch up at that point. That leaves 56 days that you have the potential to improve and get yourself prepared. Depending on how you are following the plan 3 of the upcoming weekends before the taper you may only have 1 big ride on the weekend (big tri day and 2 race rehearsals). So getting to the point...that 70 days will go faster than you think so as Simon said in the title "Make every training day count..."

I hit the track before work today and got a good speed wko in. A little over 7 miles including 2 X 1 @ Z4 and 2.5' @ Z2. Felt good but some residual fatigue from Sunday's ride was still in the legs. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/503333504

After work I hit the pool. Was looking to get in 4000 yards but stopped after 3150. I think I strained a muscle in my back under my left arm. I don't think it's anything serious but I stopped before I really hurt myself. The good thing is I found my form. Something clicked after the warmup and I was able to pull off some of my fastest laps of the build so far. I just hope I can remember what I was doing next time I get in the pool. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/503780632
  • Options
    Tried to do today's ride at 4:30 this morning since I'm meeting some club members for a swim after work. Could not hit the numbers at all so I bagged it at 25 min. and I'll be back on the bike tonight after the swim for a second try. I generally don't do early morning workouts as I roll out of bed so I'm not sure if it's related to that or just some cumulative fatigue. Going to take the lunch time run a little easier if the legs are still feeling dead. On a good note, yesterday's run went well and the 2X1 felt good.
  • Options

Did my long run this morning.  First 60 minutes alone, felt nice and easy.  A friend met me for 2nd half.  Held right between z2-3 and finished right around z2.  Felt good. Sun was shining and I think I had hydrated well last night and this morning.  Felt really good and not too tight, out of breath or sore (except a bit of soreness from this residual PF on my right heel).  It's not 100% gone, but feels 100% better than 2 months ago.  Got in just over 12 miles

• Options
    After my 100 ml ride/hour run SUN I took MON totally off. Yesterday tried a 2 HR run Z1 60', Z2 30' then (by feel) Z2-3 till last ~1.5 miles at Z1.
    Legs felt reeeely heavy Pace/HR/RPE where not lining up....but slowly got better and held my High Z2 low Z3 miles well after the turn back home.
    12.5mls 2:00time
    Missed Yesterdays AM swim due to massivly tired (didn't sleep well night before)....and somehow miss set alarm and missed today as well-sucks! I need those swims! Only tomarrow then off till MON PM.
    Will get a hybrid Bike in tonight ..... only hotel room WKO's <30min till next week then I have Army events TH, FRI am ...so no swim, and more Army on SAT afternoon. Bad timing! <br />
  • Options
    @Jan Schorpion welcome to the thread we welcome all of course. Whistler "eh", BC is a beautiful province enjoy and grab all the mojo here. Today, no mojo I am resting hard legs trashed from last nights track with the last 4 day trg schedule. Will be up and going tomorrow !
  • Options

Wednesday long run the day after a bike crash - Well, I won't kid anyone, I was a little stressed all day thinking about the long run. On my way in to work at 4:30 this morning, i was sore all over. My butt is killing me, my pants were sticking to my road rash all day and I really didn't know if I would be able to run. I started out for the run at 3:10 after work. My form was awful for the entire first mile. I was running too fast and things just didn't feel right. I pushed on and held the pace I wanted for the first hour. When it came time to speed up, I needed a minute. I did not have that. I worked hard for the increase of 45 seconds. I held that for the next 30 minutes, but I was really pushing my limit today. I did not have the next increase in me. I lost about 15 to 20 seconds, but kept moving. I finished the run at 1:55:00 and 14 miles. I walked in the house and headed right for the tub. Sat in the ice bath for 20 minutes. That helped. I will be doing low impact workouts until the RR on Saturday.

• Options
    @Edwin, nice work, building some mental toughness!

TT bike is in the shop for some maintenance and it was raining with forecasted thunder/lightning. So I put my road bike on the drainer. I struggled with the ride. I was able to hold Z4 for 5' but after that I just aimed for Z3. I rode for an hour. Overall IF was .80. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/504386165

I bailed on the run. I threw on the sneakers and got ready for it but I felt more like taking a nap so I decided not to push it. I've been getting all the workouts in so I figured it best to call it a day and come back strong for the long run tomorrow.
  • Options
    @Edwin Play it smart and heal. Your fitness will still be there. The ice bath sounds nice. I should go take one.
  • Options
    -Ouch Ice Bath....just cant do it. Ive crashed motorcycle and sat in WARM tub w/ toothbrush picking out gravel.... no Ice for me thank you! Hope you mend quick. Aloe jell helps keep the scabs soft and reduces scaring. (they even have a lidicaine-aloe jell that numbs the skin -great on sunburns and reduces peeling I've found. BTW)

So...as this was going to be only ride all week..... Did a 30' WU at high Z2 (actually was tough image ) then the Spinervals "Timetialapaloosa" 20'@Z3, 15'Z4, 10'Z4+, 5'Z5+...dumped everything into the last 5' interval and held above Z5 pace ....but all zones where RPE much higher than HR demonstrated (ie I was suffering w/ HR 135 @ 210W <Z4) TSS was 135 gota get to bed so I don't miss pool -again.
  • Options
    @edwin - hang in there. I give you credit for continuing with workouts. Road rash is not fun!

I did my long run yesterday. Everything went mostly according to plan. 60 min z1 - 30' z2 - 20' z3, although the last 20' my pace didn't change as much from z2-z3 as my RPE and HR. I guess that's the point though. Felt pretty good and drank extra due to the sun/heat.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/504105779

Today is a swim and I am planning a big day tomorrow so I can free up some family time this weekend, but the weather I'd looking iffy.
  • Options
    Hey gangsters, in week 12 of IM  plan test week "not". Just recovering from last weekend of Placid trg weekend this week is how I feel week . Took yesterday off fatigue was coming on so time for some hard rest. Today well it paid off. Split run day 20 km in all 10 km in the morning and 10 km after work. Was able to smoke out a high zone 3 run this morning. After work goal 10 km was to be within 2 mins or better. Was able to do an almost even split at Z3. Legs feel it now. Tomorrow is another day. Train smart train healthy peeps !
  • Options
    Steve- rest does wonders! Well done.

Swim done this evening with the intention of doing my BD tomorrow comprised of bike/run. I had moved swim venues recently to take advantage of a Y that has a 50meter pool. I opted not to swim there today since they removed the bubble on the pool and didn't know the staus with the thunderstorms. Swam in a 25yard pool instead and interestingly enough, my splits were a lot faster...not sure why? , but I'll take it.

Weather plain sucks here. Thunder, lightning, and torrential rain. The same is forecast for tomorrow, so not sure how this will play out. Worst case is that I do a nasty long trainer ride followed by run in the nastiness. Weather is most uncooperative this Spring! It may that Quassy next week will be my true big day after all....we shall see. Good training to all over the long weekend.

• Options
    @Brad I totally agree with Quassy being your big day instead of this weekend. I know we are all planning to do IMLP. Did you listen to the Quassy webinar. I totally agreed with alot of the pts brought up in the hour with LP in mind.I flipped my big day's to last week just to prep as best I can for next weekend. This weekend is going to be a dress rehersal as per comments. That means personal kit, disc wheel, IM set up fuel/fluids, will see what happens.
  • Options
    @Brad and Steve, nice work on those runs!

long run done. legs felt really good and had to hold myself back for the first 7 miles (always a good feeling). mile 8 was a build towards MP then 5.5 at MP. I couldn't hold the last mile of the run at MP so I brought it back down to EZ. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/504986038
  • Options
    Feeling annoyed. Only got WU swim set in then kicked out of 8 door pool cuz lightning. None at lunch but pool still closed. Tried to get an hour run in as wife's flight delayed by 3 hours. Got a WU mile then right into a 2 mile fast by feel....I'll need to check but is right at 14 min. ....tried to go into a SS. Run but the lighting came back and the sky opened up.
    So 2 hr bike and 2 hr run....25 min of speed work and a 8 min of actual swim. ....not much accomplished this week image

Next week is going to be jacked up too. Not going to test. I already know my watts are down. Run is unchanged. And swim is still a 4 speed event. TT+5 or 15 sec means nothing to me. It's EZ, race, hard & all out. (But that's better than before which was treading or moving image ) will be lucky to get more than 1 swim in all next week..... sucks.