Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

70 Days to the best day of your life( Make every training day count, stay focused eyes on the prize

2»

Comments

• Options
    @Christopher yeah, you have to get out and run 200m to the next lake. Not sure how that's going to work in reality but I guess it's better than having to do laps of the same lake. :-)
  • Options
    @Jen, good luck with the race, go crush it!
  • Options
    Anyone know with the "Big Day" if the swim should last no longer than an hour? I am not a very fast swimmer and I suspect 3100 yards will take me about 1:10.
  • Options
    @Jen - Have a great race!

Last night's long run went well. Stuck with the pace pretty solid throughout but had to catch myself a couple of times either speeding up or slowing when my mind wandered. image Took me a few extra minutes to ramp up to MP so I lost a couple off the 20 before I needed to pick it up at the end for the last push. Need to start ramping up a little sooner next time. Overall the run felt really good though.

Today's incline strides went well, but they are not fun the day after the long run.

Tomorrow's big day is still in planning. The swim will probably be replaced with some strength and halo trainer, whether the bike is indoors or out will be determined by the weather & it will probably be a wet run. A club member may be running a bike speed lab; if so I may join her for a 3 hour session, do my run and then finish up the bike at home or outside if the weather improves. It would be nice to share the pain for once and maybe try out a computrainer.

Then paint the kitchen image
  • Options

Posted By Larry Rodman on 23 May 2014 09:55 AM

Anyone know with the "Big Day" if the swim should last no longer than an hour? I am not a very fast swimmer and I suspect 3100 yards will take me about 1:10.

I don't know the answer to your question, but if you're doing the ADV plan, it's actually 2900 when you add up all the sets.  (I find the plan totals are often wrong when you add up the yardage of the individual sets).  That could keep you closer to an hour

• Options
    @Larry, I don't know the answer either but there's 2 ways to look at it...is an extra 10 minutes in the pool going to ruin your day? probably not. or the entire training day is 6 hours long. if you cut the swim short of 3100 yards you're still getting a lot of work in.

The pool I swim at is closed for the weekend so rather than swim tomorrow I swam today. 4500 yards in the pool. The last 5 weeks or so of swimming are starting to finally pay off. I think I've found my technique and I'm feeling stronger further into the workout. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/505503521

Hit the trails after work for 5.5 miles and 700+ feet of elevation gain! Copy what Christopher said...the Friday run is a little rough after the Thursday long run! http://connect.garmin.com/activity/505497321

Good luck with the big day tomorrow everyone!
  • Options
    @Doug Ha! Good point. Sometimes I over think things.

Nice swim. Feels good when it starts to come together.
  • Options
    Good luck on the Big Day tomorrow everyone!  It's motivating to know that across the country you all are doing the same thing I am.
  • Options
    @Larry, just putting it in perspective that's all. I don't think you will go wrong either way. I think the biggest point of the day is to get a feel for doing a bunch of work in all 3 disciplines successively. Good luck!
  • Options

All week I planned on doing my BD todayso moved the whole week up by a day.  Crappy night of sleep worrying that the weather would sideline my plans for this morning but by the time I got up, the roads were beginning to dry.  

Hit the pool, got in 3000yds in 1:01.  Swim felt good - I enjoyed the 16X50 hard/easy set. 

Drove home so didn't get directly on the bike but wanted to work from the house since there is better access to good riding.  I had prepped all my fuel, etc last night so was ready to go.  Hopped on my bike and headed out on planned route.  Tried to stick to the prescribed WKO but found myself in low z3 after only 10 minute warmup.  Most of the way out was mid to high z3 except a few steep hills where I hit z4 but dropped into an easy spin to get my HR back down as quickly as I could.  At mile 28 I was at the halfway point in a one way loop through the Saratoga Battlefield and the skies opened up.  Finished the loop in the rain and headed for home in the direction of blue skies and it wasn't long til I was in the clear.  The remainder was a nice easy z3 ride til I realized I had made a wrong turn and was going away from home again.  Turned around and decided to take the shortest route home from that point which involved cutting through the busiest part of town with a few ugly intersections.  My intent was to use my mishap to stop at a gas station along this busy area and grab a gatorade since all my bottles were dry.  I was being polite, following all the rules of the road, being completely safe and using proper hand signals when an unhappy passenger in a large SUV yelled out the window, "Get out of the road."  He got an albeit improper but appropriate hand signal and I carried on my merry way.  Again a few hills where HR spiked temporarily, but all in all a great, comfortable ride.  

Total moving time was 3:49, 61.8 miles and +2152 ft.

Ready for the run.  Got about 1/4 mile from the house and heard the noise of someone following me and approaching quickly.  I had company!  My 11 yr old daughter was chasing me on her scooter, in pajamas and flip flops.  She rode along side me for 2.5 miles.  I had been reading ahead in my IM plan a few weeks trying to plan childcare for big days.  I also tuned in to the Quassy pre-race call...from one of these many plans, I couldn't recall what I was supposed to be doing today for my run, but after a mile of trying to remember today's run WKO, I was sure it was out 30 min at z2 and back 30 min at z3 so this was my goal.  We went back past the house so my daughter could swap the scooter and said inappropriate scooter attire for her bike, sneakers and helmet.  She caught up and we finished 6 miles together.  It was nice to have her company and chat with her a bit to finish up my BD.  

Run summary: 6 miles, 53 minutes +181ft  and negative split Z2, Z3, Z4 and last mile was z4+.  

When I got home and checked the plan to be sure I was right, I was pleasantly surprised that I was completely wrong, but the run at faster pace actually felt really good.  As for Quassy and Placid, I know I won't be pushing Z4!

I am very happily surprised at how good I felt afterwards.  I still had plenty of energy and my foot (PF in my right heel) didn't even enter my mind during the run - and it's not sore now.  I love my chiropractor who helped me get rid of that nagging injury.

I think I did a pretty good job with fueling, but know I need more fluids.  I never did hit that gas station for Gatorade, just too much traffic.  

• Options
    Great job Antoinette!  I'm hoping to have a similarly pleasant experience shortly.  Stay safe everyone!
  • Options
    @Antoinette, Nice job! Sounds like it really went well, other than the SUV. I'm still working on getting my fluid volumes right for the long rides as well, thought I had it dialed in last week, but still a little off.

Just ate something & I'm getting my stuff together for my workout.

Hope everyone has a good workout today.
  • Options

Good job everyone!!

My "Big Day" is tomorrow. Lots of Team Mojo to carry me along.

~Bill

• Options

Today was my big day, but it didn't feel all that big. The pool is closed so I skipped the swim. I am still hoping to get into Lake Ontario this week. I tested it out yesterday, but a front came in when I got there. The fog was so thick, I couldn't sight on any land marks and from 50 yards out, I was having trouble seeing the shore. Today I rode the 4 hour ride with my brother. It is always great when we can ride together. I chose a course with a fair amount of climbing. We didn't break any speed records, but I hit my numbers. I wish I had read the run protocol though. We ran a brick right after the ride. I kept it a little faster than race pace for the entire ride. The plan called for negative splitting to MP pace at half way. I had that pace. It was still a good run. We did negative split the last two miles by 15 and then 30 seconds.

• Options

Hey gang my big training day was today. Tomorrow is Ottawa marathon so out to do some cheering. Had some personal goals today. The OSC was doing a group ride but I needed to challenge and confirm things are shaking out right. So I had a ride of 4 and half hrs to do and stay away from hills as per Coach P's advice. Plan was to ride the first 90 km(56 mi) at an IF of .80(HIM pace) and I forecasted a 2:50 - 2:52 hr.I came in at .799 and a time of 2:44:30(32.95 km/20.5 mi),course chosen was rolling hills.Needless to say I was very happy with this beginning result. So now after this time to dial it back and settle into IM pacing for the next 1:45 hr. In all I finished my ride 4 1/2 hrs 147 kms/91.3 mi(32.7km/20.3 mi) with an overall IF .765.

Next up the run, hmm plan was to go to my local track and smack out a 10 km/6.2 mi on a nice soft track. I was pleasantly surprised when all was said and done.So a WU/CD was done and my 10 km run was 43 mins flat so 4:18 km/ 6:55 mi after a pretty hard day of trg. Tomorrow it's about cheering on friends an a good barbeque with the Ottawa Sleeper cell tomorrow ! Hmm maybe a swim !

• Options

I read the posts from today and WOW!!!! Thoughts that popped in my heard were WORK, SPEED and INSPIRATION!!! 

@ Steve- Truly incredible. Just truly incredible!!! 

@ Edwin- Awesome on big day! And I think I would freak if I couldn't see shore because of fog....actually I know I would freak!  

@ Antoinette- NICE WORK!!!  Awesome that the faster pace felt great. and I LOVE my chiropractor too!! Helped me a alot 

My big day is tomorrow starting at 7 AM. Thanks for the inspiration team!

• Options
    @Antoinette, way to lead us off, great work out there!
    @Edwin, nice work! It probably didn’t feel as big of a day because you had good company!
    @Steve, way to get it done, fast paces on the bike and run!
    @Bill and Laura, good luck tomorrow!

Big tri day went well today! Logistically, the swim would’ve been a nightmare so I swam yesterday instead. I added 30 minutes onto the bike to make up some for not swimming. I really had to concentrate for the last hour of the ride in order to ride steady. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/506292276
    Entire workout (226 watts):
    Duration: 4:30:29 (4:33:47)
    Work: 3672 kJ
    TSS: 262.1 (intensity factor 0.763)
    Norm Power: 233
    VI: 1.03
    Distance: 84.195 mi
    Elevation Gain: 4578 ft
    Min Max Avg
    Power: 0 491 226 watts
    Heart Rate: 88 153 139 bpm
    Cadence: 6 161 81 rpm
    Speed: 0 44.9 18.6 mph

I was definitely ready to be off the bike and start running. At the 3:30 mark on the bike I felt a little cramping in the left leg just above my knee and was a little concerned about the run. I increased my fluid intake (Perform) and it didn’t ever become an issue. Similar to Edwin I forgot what paces we were supposed to try and hit for the run. I remember reading Antoinette’s post where she was hitting Z4 at the end and I knew that wasn’t going to be a possibility for me. I aimed for Z1 the first couple miles and progressively increased the pace with the goal of negative splitting the 2nd half of the run. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/506293500

Very happy with how the day went. I feel like my nutrition was on and I was able to handle the work load. I felt good coming off the bike. A big confidence builder as we get closer to the first race rehearsal of the build. One thing I will try to do a little differently is drink more Perform during the ride. I think I may have been down a little on fluids starting the run.
  • Options

Wow, I am very impressed with the Big day reports. Antoinette, Doug & Steve, your days were fantastic. Bill & Laura, good luck with your Big Day.

After reading everyone's posts, I realized I forgot to add the most important part of my day. After finishing my ride & run, I drove home. I did a bunch of house work, played tennis with my wife for and hour and went grocery shopping. (Had to earn back those SAU's)

• Options
    Well I have had to move all my training around this morning I am going for my long run and tomorrow will be my BIG DAY. Will swim on Tuesday and do a bike/run Wednesday. I have signed up for both races at Quassy this weekend. I am looking forward to the challenge.
  • Options
    Have a great Big Day today, Laura. Same for you tomorrow, Simon and a nice run today. (and anyone else I missed have a great day) All the reports I have read have all had great nuggets of information that I can use. Love the collective.

My Big Day was harder than expected. The swim was fine though I cannot count to 16 when doing the 16 x 50's. I get the pool mind drift going. It ended up being a 1:03 hour swim. Not bad.

On the bike I never got into a groove. It felt like a struggle the entire way. I ended up with an IF of .785 and 3121 of elevation gain. I had never ridden on this route before so that may have been part of it.

My nutrition was pretty good. I had the gels when I was supposed to, and was pretty good with my hydration. Probably 4-6 ounces shorter than goal per hour. Based upon the number of pit stops I had to make I think that was fine. I took a salt stick just before beginning and then left the tube of them in the car. No cramps so it all worked out. I will do better at Quassy this weekend I hope with that.

I did get in a nice game of 'What was that animal before it got run over a 1,000 times' with myself and even saw an adult toy laying in the road and spent a few minutes making up a story on how it got there.

Today's off day I get to sit and enjoy my boys play in a soccer tournament. Apparently they had great games yesterday. I am happy I get to see them today.
  • Options

I forgot to mention, the most difficult part of my BD was getting dry tri shorts on a still slightly wet body.  Guess this is something I'll have to get better at or towel off better so I don't waste too much time in the changing tent.  I normally would have my tri shorts under my wetsuit so have never experienced this before, but I think for IMLP, I'll want to start the bike dry so I'm not sure what to wear under the wetsuit yet.  I've also been considering some kind of long sleeve super thin shirt on the bike for sun protection vs just sun sleeves that still leave the shoulders to fry.  Am planning a full change for the run also to get out of any padded shorts and start the run dry.

Any clothing/gear suggestions for IMLP are more than welcome.  

• Options

No big day for me this weekend, scheduled it for next week.  I saw some people cut the swim out.  An hour swim takes me about 3 hours with travel and changing.  If I am really on the ball, I can be at the pool at 0600, and be home for 0800 and maybe on the bike for 0815.  Running by 1230-1245ish?  If the weather holds the same next weekend I'll be running in about 91 degree heat (gotta love South Louisiana!).  I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me to suck it up and do the swim?

Other than that, I had my best week of training yet!  9 mile run Thursday (long for me this year, I'm bumping up but I'll be behind for a bit more). I moved next weeks swim test to Friday and ended up with a 1:46per 100yd.  Not bad for me, I've always been an average swimmer and I never thought it wise to but THAT much work into getting a few seconds faster.  I tend to focus on bike pacing and trying to get faster on the run.  I had a 90 mile bike yesterday (a new long for this year) and stayed in my zones fairly well, but hoping for a good test next week. http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/507065216.  

Good job to all those who did the big day and good luck to those with a race coming up soon!

• Options
    @Antoinette good question on clothing something forgotten about or last moment. I usually wear a tri short/top on during the swim. At change tent T1 I just slip on a pair of biking shorts over the tri bottom, then organize the rest of the stuff. I have a biking shirt/sleeves/wind breaker/raincoat on stand by. In T2 get yourself comfortable in your normal run clothes you are doing a marathon right. Something to consider here is alot of people forget you are in the Adirondacks with alot of shadowing on the run course. Depending on the time of day you expect to come in at having a long sleeve shirt in your special needs bag may be an option. I have done this race 4 times and train in the area. It can be really chilly on the 2 nd loop at night. Just my thoughts !!
  • Options

My "Big Day" was today minus the swim (drysuit needed for Lake Ontario).

Drove north of the city to ride a route which is somewhat cycling friendly. My nutrition plan was a 24 oz bottle of Perform per hour and sipped every 15 minutes and GU gels on the hour with water. While it was sunny and hot (for Toronto), I maintained adequate hydration. The route had some good climbs going out and descents come backing in. Lots of rollers too. Used my gears the EN way and only spiked on a few times on the climbing.

Run off the bike went well. Found it difficult to stay in Z1 and needed to slow pace and insert some walking breaks which worked. The second half went well and no problem maintaining Z2.

Tonight's workout will be watching the Rangers and Canadiens duke it out 

• Options
    @Antoinette My plan is to have a couple of towels in my T1 bag and change from a jammer into cycling shorts and a Tri top. I need a ton of chamois cream so I might as well take the extra minute and put on much more comfortable shorts for the bike ride. I will be changing kit fully in T2 as well from my sponsors gear (Fit Werx) into MMRF gear the charity I am raising money for. I will be practicing these changes ahead of time.
  • Options
    Lord tundrin the north has unthawed was able to get into our local water for my first OWS, that is all !
  • Options

Had my big day today to take advantage of 2.4 mile OWS. It felt terrific! 

Nutrition for swim, bike, and run seems spot on. Swim went well and now I know that I can complete the distance in the timeframe I estimated. image Bike was great and got some killer hills in there to keep things honest. But, on the run, I turned my ankle on my leg with the hamstring injury and boy oh boy did it hurt. It took several minutes to walk the pain off and when I restarted it was more of a shuffle than a run. Still, I kept at it for the hour and when I got home, it was right to the ice bath.  Holy cow, that was painful. All in all though, I am very pleased with the day. Hope everyone nailed their nutrition and had a great 'big day.'  See you in camp in a few weeks

• Options

Thanks for the great mojo everyone! Yesterday's big day was a success.  Finally got a good OWS in and it felt great! The water was warm enough that I didn't loose all the blood in my hands and feet.  (That has been a problem the last few times I tried to OWS).  Going to go hit the water again today, swimming across a local lake and back while hubby kayaks around.  Should be fun! 

Happy Memorial Day!

• Options

Well 63 day's to Placid as Simon say's and only 6 day's to the tune me up race Quassy. Trying very hard this week not to build residual fatigue but also have a quality workouts,balance is the word.

Getting in my final workouts this week. Did hill run repeats x 12 less than 1 min, odd numbers Z1 up Z2 down reverse on even numbers. Just at the end of 1 min legs were just starting to feel the 4 % gradel but turned to descend and recover. Hopefully not a lot of residual fatigue ! Time to get my wetsuit on for my 2 nd OWS only this year.

This is it peeps, hope you all seen or heard the webinar for Quassy.For the first timer's it was a good intro and for the repeater's such as myself I feel this was a good mental imprint to ride smarter and setting up the killer run better. Be smart and stay healthy this week. See you all in Middlebury!

• Options
    179# despite chawing down on anything and everything in AC and Pilli.....water ice (every day), pretzels w/cheese... 9course dinner at Morimotos....cheesesteaks & hoagies even Danishes w/breakfast. Booze w/ every dinner meal. Glycogen should be well toped off! only 2 lbs up. Now to get serious -again. This week is all jacked up training wise so likely can cut sugar/carbs w/o problems...maybe even get another 2-4 lb drop