Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Week 12. IMLP 63 days.

So my hope is to keep everyone focused and come up with some thought provoking ideas. So my suggestion today is try and get all your travel plans, where you staying, when you arriving at lake placid. Who you are meeting, who is coming to meet you, pre race day, race morning. Get all that stuff done, get it done so you can give yourself the opportunity to focus 100% on this race that you have made sacrifices for. You get the drift.

Comments

• Options
    I believe I will be staying with you Simon,yes condo on Mirror lake drive.Will be arriving Thurs morning with Ottawa sleeper cell in tow !
  • Options
    I have my lodging set up as well and will be arriving Wednesday afternoon.

I'm not following the plan as written this week. I don't plan on testing my run so I will be attempting to sneak in another high intensity bike session this week. Rest day was much needed yesterday and when I woke up today I was ready to go at it again. I attempted an FTP test however a little over 8 minutes into the test I got a flat tire. I hit a tore up patch of road that wasn't there a few days ago. I didn't see it in time to slow down. A couple minutes later my rear tire was zigzagging all over the place, damn. I was feeling pretty good and know I would've had a decent bump and ultimately my highest FTP ever. I just reset and did a few FTP intervals for the remainder of the ride. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/507624596
    Intervals were 8.5' @ 1.04, 6.5' @ 1.07, 15.5' @ 1.08

Rested a few hours and then did the typical Monday run in the afternoon. 7 miles including 2 at MP. Legs were a little heavy at the beginning from today's bike ride but everything shook out and felt good at the end. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/507858228

Good luck with your bike tests tomorrow!
  • Options

@Doug, impressive ride today. Flat or no flat, that power is flat out awesome.  I am working nights this week and also do not intend on testing. sleep after work was lowsey. Sat around for a couple hours with sub zero motivation. My wife finally yelled at me to go run. So, I did and I am sure I looked like a Zombie. Did a 7 mile run with the first 3 miles at Z1, the next 3 above MP and finished with a Z1 cool down. My legs feel good, but I still feel like a Zombie. Just two more nights and I can return to the living.

• Options
    Well I got back w enough time to get a good 1 hr bike in...decided to do the bike test today coming off a 4 day no bike period. My power has been really hard to maintain as of late so I was expecting a 5-10 watt DROP.
    I replaced the chain today (it was the original from 2011) that and the rest = wow it was realy EZ to do Z1 and Z2 in WU...... then
    VO2= 294W ave HR up to 166 (last was 259!)
    FTP test= 242 AVE HR Trending up to 164 (Last 6 min AVE 255 HR 160s) [Last was 236!]

WOW....
    I wonder what will change with cleaning and lubed! LOL

Oh...but now I gota work even HARDER.....
  • Options
    @Edwin, great work managing the tough schedule and getting in all the key workouts, really consistent. You're going to feel awesome once you get back to your normal schedule.

@David, nice work on the test and the impressive VO2 bump!
  • Options

Really psyched about my test today.  My last 20' test (May 8) my NP was 271watts and 20min avg was 269watts. My VO2 test was 300 watt avg.

Today, my 20' test gave me an NP of 292w / 20' avg 291w and my VO2 test was 319w.  I like the looks of the power zones, until I go try and hold them, we will see.

• Options
    @ Doug -Thanx ajusted all the zones up about 5w ....
    Unfortunatly the rear has a 17-19 tooth jump and my Happy place is SM-12 which corilates to BIG-(18) so I find it uncomfortable to be @ BIG-17 (78RPM) or BIG-19 (92RPM) to hold Z4 whats Seems like RACE PACE will put me in SM-14 or BG-19 @ 82-85 Cadence, however its too EZ for me to over cook the BG -19 and find myself speeding up the cad(and PWR) with the 19. (looking at 150w AVE ~ 18.2mph for full IM ride) seems worse on training intensities than for race levels. may not be as bad on road either......we'll see if I can do some road trials this weekend.
  • Options
    Great numbers showing up. @Edwin I misread that you felt lookr like a Zombie and read it as Zambonie. It made for a funny mental image.

I am not doing the testing this week. With Quassy Half on Sunday and a local 5K on Thursday I think I am going to need to save everything I have this week.
  • Options
    Travel plans are set. I'm taking the whole week off work and will use Monday and Tuesday to make sure everything is fully organized before packing. We'll be arriving Wed. afternoon and staying through Monday night. As for meeting people, there will be a bunch of people from my tri club there that I will meet up with in the days before the race but I'm not going to stress about seeing anyone race morning. If I see them great, if not I'll see them after. I've also been talking to a friend in the club about what helped her pre-race.

Big Day was mixed. I had to substitute some strength and the swim Halo trainer for the swim due to pool schedule and weather. Three out of the 4 hours on the bike were pretty good; 1,2 & 4. The third hour was rough, mix of fatigue, burning quads and some discomfort on the saddle. I started to get back into a rhythm on the 4th hour but overall I was unhappy with the numbers. The hour run following the bike went well though, not quite MP for the second half but pretty close.

I don't think the bike issues were hydration or nutrition. Actually needed more breaks than usual for relief and the nutrition was right on the money with what had done the prior two weekends. I need to look back at what I ate the prior two days to see if that may have impacted it.

Got out for the first OWS yesterday and did 2 miles. That felt great and I was actually a little ahead of my planned pace for a 1:15-1:20 swim split.

The rest of the weekend was spent prepping the kitchen for painting. Got that started last night & will hopefully finish that up by the end of the week and start putting the new floor down. Yep.... good timing on that project. image

Will be doing the bike test tonight. (before painting the kitchen ceiling) Weather permitting we've got another OWS planned for tomorrow night & I'm hoping to get the run test done Thursday morning. (planning on taking the day off to finish painting so I may be doing the run test between coats.)

Also planning on doing a preview ride of the WMT tri bike course on Sunday as my Sunday bike workout.
  • Options
    Travel plans are set and I am going to reach out to my sister about coming up to watch the race tonight. Thanks for the idea and the reminder. These next few weeks will be packed with activities and nerves. I just got back from my bike test and there was a nasty headwind kicking up...wanted to get the ride in before the weather changed (storms rolling in later today). Had my big day Sunday to coincide with an OWS. The swim went well and I biked with folks from my local tri club. Nutrition was dialed in though I felt a bit tired (maybe because of the swim effort?) for the first part of the ride. The weather was nice and that was a change as it has been cold alot this spring. On the run, i hit a rock and rolled my ankle, which brought me to the ground because of hamstring pain. I have been nursing a hamstring injury since March and that stumble really clocked me. After walking it off for a few minutes, I shuffled the remainder of the hour. Still hurts and not sure what to do about it. Getting ART twice a week and started EPAT treatments last week. I sure hope I can heal this thing before LP.
  • Options
    I did the typical Tuesday interval run this morning. A little over 7 miles in all. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/508075479

Pool swim this afternoon. I felt sleepy heading to the pool but once I jumped in the water I felt pretty good. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/508491239
  • Options
    @Mary, sorry to hear about your fall, hope your hammy feels better!
  • Options
    Figured out a working plan for this week.... Yesterday’s swim was cut short to 400 mixed WU then 250,400,50/50x2(sprint/EZ) felt good but was just getting into it when had to jet.
    No swim yesterday or today.... Last night was going to take TriBike out on road for Power meter dial in and road test after chain replaced and tweaking rear derailleur....checked the brakes and ....wont release....cleaned/lubed clamps and....its apparently corrosion with the cable. So no ride image going out to find a store tonight.
    No Run test THR....have Army PT test w/ 2 mile run but have to go for weigh in right after so cant extend to a 5k. IM happy with my "hybrid Zones" (VDOT from last 10K time and HM) I use HM as low end and 10K as high end Effort on Z1-Z3 runs seems a bit high but I'm good with it..and I can drift back to the HM VDOT pace if I'm feeling off.
    I'm plugging in a longer run THR pm and then FRI-SN as planned. I may try and make up a swim this weekend if the pools open.
  • Options
    @ Mary sorry about your fall....EPAT?
  • Options
    Thanks David,
    EPAT is extracorporeal Pulse Activation Treatment. Approved by FDA, is pressure waves
    that stimulates injured area to help healing. You don't feel anything if the waves hit a
    healthy area. When it hits tissue that is injured, you pretty much fly off the table. At least
    i did. The brochure says you might experience some discomfort and some residual pain for a few
    days. i have to get back in for another treatment.
  • Options
    Unstructured ride today. I got a mix of VO2, Z4 and Z3 work in. TSS was right around 100 for 75 minutes of work so I got a decent amount of work in. I didn't feel great on this ride. I didn't eat well during the day and then it was in the mid 50's outside and when I got on the bike I didn't want to drink at all. I felt sapped at the end. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/509097826
  • Options
    I was tired this morning so I slept in rather than hit the pool. I decided to leave work early so I could get it in along with a run. 4600 yards and I felt pretty good the entire time. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/509693717

Geared up for the run shortly afterwards. I turned down the volume a little bit on the run because the plan was only calling for a 5k VDOT test. I got in 10 miles as 5 EZ and then the last 5 progressing from MP to TP. Was able to hit my paces due to favorable weather conditions. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/509737396
  • Options

This week has been a jumble. The week of nights threw me off my game. Planned on my long run for Wednesday. I was running well and pushing the pace when my son called and I had to cut the run short. Yesterday I did a long ride to a bike shop. My rear bearings were shot so I rode 54 miles to the shop. They had to order a new free wheel so I rode home on a loaner. The ride out was good. I had good speed and power. Kept my VI nice an low. When I started the ride home, I had no power reading. The battery in my PM died so I rode home by feel. I tried to even split the ride. I missed by 4 minutes. The 108 total miles was the longest ride this season. Legs feel better than I expected.

• Options
    @Edwin, even with a jumbled week you did better than I did. Nice job on getting that long ride in and pacing the split well.

Bike was just off for me this week. Started the test Tues. night, 5 min went well but I started the 20 min too hard and blew up during that part of the test. I set up a modified test for Wed. night and did the 20 min segment in that one. Still not pleased with it how I felt though.

I had planned on getting yesterday's run in during a mid day break in painting. That never happened, ended up being a 14 hour painting job with all the taping edging etc... Looking at the good side, I built up some additional SAU points and I'll be going into the Saturday and Sunday workouts with fresher legs.

Going to be working to get the nutrition dialed in a little better on tomorrow's bike and then I'll be testing that out again on Sunday while I preview the bike course for the White Mountian Tri coming up on the 8th. Not sure if I'll run part of that course on Sunday or wait to do the run when I get home later in the day.
  • Options
    @Edwin, is there anywhere in NY that you won't ride too? ha ha. Amazing that you came so close on the way back without a powermeter! Did you ride to Geneva Bicycle Center? If so, that's where I bought my first TT bike a few years ago. They are a really good shop.

@Christopher, it's really tough testing in the middle of an IM build and seeing an improvement or getting the results you want, don't sweat it!

Hit the pool for 4500 yards before work today: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/510303782

And then after work ran 5.5+ on trails. This is the only run I do all week with any significant elevation. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/510299329

Good luck to everyone racing at Quassy this weekend!
  • Options
    So weird day today. I still need to post yesterday's WKOs. ...did ok on PT test ...13:48 on 2 mile ....but shoulder when out painlessly during pushups...no pain just no power...eventually did last 30 one armed....anyway swim test today was sore at start and killing by end. Still improved by 12 sec/100yrd....and Could have pushed harder..just trying to be steady. Then added a ladder to get 2500yrds. Spent afternoon with hand in belt as a sling. Deep finger work on subscap and ball work on infraspinatus and feels almost normal. Sigh.....
  • Options
    First "real" ride outside ...new chain, brake cable and test for modified aero bottle mount and PWR MTR "dial in".... also wanted to compare RPE/HR/PWR #s with indoor data.
    Looked nice out...didn't look at weather....winds 10mph w/gusts of 25+ ....made for some "riding in peanut butter" experiences and some sketchy moments when side blasted (I only have Reynolds race wheels on my TT Bike) but actually kinda enjoyed myself image
    Used HR/RPE to judge my Zones and retroactively looks like I was spot on. Also new PWR MTR dial in seems pretty darn close to Computrainer....Just about 10 ish more watts on road... Was able to keep power/effort controlled over the rollers and up a few 6% climbs only grazing Z4 and HR never got above mid Z3 even with some later cardiac drift. Why am I so pleased? I ride the trainer (historically) almost exclusively and realy wasn't sure how things would go....but will try and start getting more outdoor rides from now on.
    I feel in no way cooked/sore and actually didn't drop any weight! (I did come back and re-fill at 2.5 hrs) but want to start adding slid food....I get burnt out on sports drinks after a few hours.
    Distance: 80.11 mi
    Time: 4:36:05
    Avg Pace: 3:27 min/mi
    Avg Speed: 17.4 mph
    Elevation Gain: 1,286 ft
    Avg Power: 164 W >> indoor testing had me predicting a GRP of 150w/18mph (.75if) without the wind My speed would have been probably ~18mph ave at similar/slt less watts
    Max Power: 486 W
    Max Avg Power (20 min): 203 W
    Normalized Power (NP): 180 W
    Intensity Factor (IF): 0.819
    Training Stress Score (TSS): 308.0
    FTP Setting: 220 W
    Work: 2,705 kJ
    Only reason for the high Max power is that on the last mile after my MS was done I stood as sprinted a short 100yrd 8% hill before spinning home.
    got a little bit of my chronic back spasm at 4 hr in and I know my neck is going to be barking at me....but I think i'll be OK for another Quality ride tomorrow image
  • Options
    Thrs Run (PLAN:1hr Z1, 30'Z2.20'Z2+)
    Doing better....... at slowing down to Z1 pace 9:54-10:30
    Did "OK-ish" for Z2 8:32....
    But then I kinda went nuts and pushed to progressively NEG split and "under 2 hr HM"...only ever did that in my last HM race.

Summary 2:01:52 Ave 9:05
    1 9:43
    2 9:30
    3 9:41
    4 9:56
    5 9:20
    6 9:49
    7 9:52
    8 8:35
    9 8:33
    10 8:28
    11 8:13
    12 8:04 (up 1/2 mile 6% hill)
    13 7:43
    13.1 7:28 HM 1:58
    13.4 11:37
    Felt good despite having run my PT test that morning too
    I did however, under estimate the combined effects of those 7min and PT test <7min miles.... (also doing "Pose Method" adjustments to form) would have.... <br /> Ouch- I am still sore (SAT)! -didn't seem to hurt bike though.
  • Options
    @David, nice work today, way to get outside!

Woke up this morning to my stomach feeling all tore up. My legs were stiff and I didn’t have a lot of energy. Uh oh…I’m getting sick! I didn’t have a lot of motivation but I went out and did the run. Hit my paces but the rpe was higher than it should’ve been. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/510596730

With the way I felt when I woke up and during the run I questioned riding. I know it’s way too easy to make excuses sometimes so I ate breakfast and got ready. By the time I was riding I actually felt really good. The ride was going really well when at the 3 hour mark a car makes a left hand turn from the other side of the road right in front of me. I locked up my brakes avoided the car but I hit the pavement…#@!%$# Yard sale, bottles all over the place, sun glasses fell off. I went down on the non-drive side of the bike which is one positive! No damage to the frame, part of the aero-bar scraped up and the rear skewer but that’s it thankfully. Some bruises and scrapes on my legs but nothing serious. The worst injury was to my left thumb somehow there is a flap of skin hanging off the tip! It’s not serious but that thing was bleeding like crazy. The guy got out of his car and was apologizing immediately. “He didn’t realize how fast I was going.” I couldn’t have been going 15 mph. I had just started from a stop not 300 yards ago! I wanted to Norman Stadler my bike on top of his head at first. I calmed down and he turned out to be a nice guy. I just asked him to be more mindful of cyclists. I felt really good on the bike up to that point and all I had left was to cruise the last 1.5 hour at IM pace but my mojo was gone and I struggled for the rest of the ride. Thankful that it wasn’t more serious. Beautiful day for riding! http://connect.garmin.com/activity/511047224
  • Options

@Doug, thats a terrible thing to happen. I'm afraid of something like that happening everything I ride outside. Especially where we live, just outside Philly, there are no shoulders on the roads. Glad to hear your injuries were not worse. 

I just got over a cold that kept me from training Thurs and Fri. However, I felt good on the run this morning, was able to run my 1 mile @ zn4 with no problem. I felt good on the bike for the first 2 hours. During the last 2.5 hrs, for some reason I couldn't tolerate Perform anymore. I didn't change my nutrition plan at all, and it hasn't been a problem in the past. Maybe because I was getting over this cold, and all that sugar was just too much. Anyways, the last 2 hours I struggled. Stomach wasn't great because I only had Perform with me, and every time I sipped I felt a little more nauseous. Very dehydrated by the time I got home. 

Fully rehydrated now and ready to go again tomorrow. 

• Options
    @Doug - sheesh. Glad to hear it wasn't too damaging to you/your bike. And people ask why I do so much trainer time! These Jersey drivers give no cushion....I dread whenever passing side rails etc as you know your getting pinched.
    @Jan I sometimes go with one bottle with just diluted vata-water/gatoraid...just "tainted water strength"...and others with a "magic brew" (a. bit of this and that). Anyway If I get annoyed with the sweet concentrated stuff I switch to the dilute mix.... then usually try some solid food (I usually try to have something more savory/less sugary tasting) and that seems to allow me to go back to the potent stuff with better stomach/taste bud tolerance after a bit.
  • Options
    Another ride in the books. Not much to say. The legs are never fresh on Sunday but got it done. Didn't get cut off today. Hit some good numbers on the PM. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/511943080
  • Options

Super busy weekend. I was able to get some good quality workouts in along with some very important SAU's. For some reason, my wet suit wore  my neck raw during the swim on Friday. The water was so cold, I never felt it happening. Friday night, played 1.5 hours of tennis with my wife and went out to dinner. Saturday, I did the pre-ride run. I felt crappy to being and was sure the run would be awful. I was really surprised by how fast I ran. When I tried to start my ride, I could not get my quarq to fire up. After a bit of investigating and a consult with the Geneva Bicycle Center, I figured out that I had lost a magnet. Anyway, I started my ride without and just tried to ride steady. I was not feeling like a record run would be in store. The wind was ripping and no matter what direction I was riding, it was knocking me around. I ended up riding 50 miles and finished with a 7 mile run. That gave me enough time to add to the SAU count from Friday. I played more tennis with my wife. Very pleased with how good my legs feel after.

• Options
    Bike #2 outside -WU was a bit quick...Z2ish then 2.5 solid hours at what I was gestimating as Z3. Much lest wind today ...just enough to pitch the ike from time to time but not bad at all image. Wore the 0ne piece Trisuit I was considering for race....black but felt quite cool (I guess the fancy technology works) Need to remember sunscreen for my exposed bits next time though LOL
    Rode at a pace that got my HR up to 135-140. @140 definitely felt like a shift to Z4 so although it was fun to go fast ...dialed back a bit. Legs where feeling it from yesterdays ride but was able to hold watts all day. Again not wiped out but today I really didn't fel like the prospect of a marathon sounded doable at anything above a slow jog. I suppose the HR <130 and PWR around 150-160 really is going to be best so might need to be happy with AVE speed around 17mph (with all the hills especially) The PWR Meter jumps around so I saw a lot of 230w and 190w tried to keep steady in the 190-200-210 range and think I did OK <br /> Trainer Testing = Z3 184-195w "Classic" from 'book'= 180-215 AND @ HR 144-151 (MAX 162)
    ROAD= (Good flat section and no wind area) 20mph, 207w, 130HR, @ 90RPM (which FELT Z3) I start to breath heavy and feel like I'm really working at HR 140

Avg Power: 191 W
    Max Power: 620 W
    Max Avg Power (20 min): 234 W
    Normalized Power (NP): 207 W
    Intensity Factor (IF): 0.942
    Training Stress Score (TSS): 267.0
    FTP Setting: 220 W Need to bring this up to the new 230w based on Indoor 20' test=242
    Work: 2,078 kJ
    Time 3:00 56.1mls

Now if I only could find a good stretch of road to safely do my 100ml rides coming up......
  • Options
    Just catching up to this thread and want to go back to Simon's original post (thanks for pulling so much of this together, Simon). My brother Ethan and I will be heading up there from New Orleans Thursday morning. We are staying in a house on Sentinel Rd. which is, allegedly, within walking (hobbling) distance of Main St. Our wives will be with us to offer support and the occasional eye rolling in response to the ever increasing uptightness. For anyone showing up with injury concerns I will go ahead and offer up the (free) services of my physical therapist wife. She treats a good number of triathletes including dry needling, etc. and will likely be quite bored leading up to the race. Any local knowledge about race week in LP would be appreciated by the flatlanders from Louisiana (for us and our spectating spouses)! Thanks