Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Week 15 42 days

Execute execute. I know for me life is getting busier and that training schedule is being challenged. Be ready to adjust stay focused. Congrats for those doing the training camp. I am sure it will be invaluable for that day.

Comments

• Options

I am with you Simon. I just attended the IMLP camp and even that was crazy busy. Yesterday was a yard work/strength training day. It is really hard to let your legs recover with so much to do around the house. SAU's are sinking fast. Yesterday and today are recovery days for me. However, my personal schedule is intruding on the training plan again so I will be back at it tomorrow. I hope everyone is training well. 

• Options
    I wish I could have made the IMLP camp but I managed to get my own camp weekend in this weekend (Sat-Mon). 320km total on the bike and 32km running so I'm taking a easy day... Just my normal bike commute and maybe a swim if the water is not too full of jellyfish. Nearly had a panic attack on Friday because there were so many bloody jellyfish in the water and one of them got stuck to my face.
  • Options

@Jen - Good for you wanting to get back in the water.  I'm not sure I'd be that anxious to jump in so soon after having a jelly fish on my face. One reason I pretty much have only stuck to fresh water swims - that and the other larger things with dorsal fins

I thoroughly enjoyed camp.  Legs are feeling pretty good, but enjoyed yesterday's "rest" day - meaning no training, but plenty of other things to catch up and and keep busy - trying to earn back some SAU points used up this weekend.  I plan an easy OWS tonight with my local club - distance, depending on how I feel.  There is still something not right in my neck/trapezoid area and is still super painful turning to the right, so not sure bilateral breathing is going to happen today, but will do what I can and call the chiropractor to get fixed up. Tomorrow easy bike/run for time only and hopefully my legs will be up to Thursday's long run. 

• Options
    @Antoinette - don't remind me! I don't want to think about all the other things in the ocean:-(
  • Options
    @Jen & Antoinette, I'll admit that I'm scared of swimming in the ocean because of all of those things!

Camp is definitely hitting me. I didn't feel too bad when I woke up yesterday. I did an OWS recovery swim late yesterday morning. The arms definitely felt fatigued. I took a nap in afternoon. I got a full 8 hours of sleep and still had a really hard time getting up today. Was planning on another swim but I'm pulling the plug in favor of some rest. I'll sleep in again tomorrow and get on the bike tomorrow.
  • Options
    Are you campers all doing week 16 x2 as suggested by coach p? My personal schedule this week is tough to manage with training, so it'll be a challenge. I'm eyeing a 100 mile organized ride for week 18's RR that has nutrition on the course, but it has 9800 ft climbing....ouch image The jury is still open on that one but plenty of time to decide.
  • Options
    @ Brad, where is that ride?
  • Options
    Berkshires in MA. If I go....please join! I don't want to be the only Tri bike there.....
  • Options
    @carlos- Also, I'll be doing a 5 hr ride Saturday morn and will most definitely be riding through your part of town if you wanna join me. Message or email me bfmarcus@gmail.com
  • Options
    @Brad, I'll be doing week 16 X 2. I didn't even work out today and I feel pretty rough. I think tomorrow's brick is just going to be getting things going again. I don't have any expectations for the Z4 work. I'll just try to get in some Z3 stuff on the bike and maybe a little time at Z2 on the run. Hopefully that will get me back together for the Thursday run and the remainder of the week.
  • Options

I too am doing week 16x2.  I did swim today, only 1.5 miles vs the 3900-4400 yds the plan had, but I maintained an average pace of T-8".  Although unfair to compare pool T-pace to an OWS, it was still faster than my fastest race swim pace so I'll take it.  Bike and run tomorrow and I hope the legs are up to it.  There's much work to do!!

• Options
    @Doug - I guess that's why we're doing IMLP :-) There's enough stress on race day without worrying about all that. Although, whenever I'm up in Lake Placid/Lake George I always think of that movie Cabin by the Lake. If you've never seen it, you probably don't want to watch it. :-)

@Brad - I wasn't sure what to do so I went back to week 14 but I guess 16 would make more sense. I guess I got in a few extra intervals on the bike this morning then. :-)
  • Options
    posted this in wrong week...
    Happened today -no mood to try bike now
    2miles into swim....all is well. little niggling pain in "good: shoulder but OK....starting to pick up the pace for a strong finish...
    Then ..ouh...Ouh...OUCH....OH MY FKN Shoulder! and was stopped in mid stroke...
    in shallow end so stood a min....rubbing what seemed like bicep insertion.... OK doesn't really hurt now..... got 25yrds then wham...swam kinda 1 arm back unable to raise it. only more pain and now whole (subscap, supra spinatis, mid delt) all in spasm.

WTF

Ive missed or had to cut most swims short last few weeks...No Paddles.... backed off all the High shoulder catch focus (Other shoulder doesn't like) no idea where this came from.
    NOT COOL.
  • Options
    @David, take care of that shoulder! Get better fast!

Well, I am still dragging from camp. Took yesterday off completely. Got on the bike today and my legs still don't have any pop. I was able to hit FTP, just wasn't able to sustain it for any length of time. After the warmup I rode most of the ride somewhere between Z3 and Z4. Overall IF for the ride was .8 and TSS 90. Skipped the brick run. Hopefully this will get my legs going for tomorrow's run. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/523664240
  • Options
    Actually got a comp day to take Fri off from work ...Have a Hell of a week starting Sun (will still be able to get Long run after work) and was kinda looking FWD to the Massive weekend..... I guess I just need to see this as a mid week taper.
    Last SAT was my 3rd longest ride (3rd Century) -ever (AZ IM and a solo-reverse El Tour De Tucson) and despite fighting horrendous gusts and 40 miles of constant diagonal headwind back, I kept my watts pretty darn steady AND averaged a faster MPH than my. GRP 5:19 for 101miles inc WU 30 min and a short CD...then SUN wasn't bad and held Z3 intervals well ....and DID not feel the deep sole sapping fatigue I felt last week. Actually TUES Run felt pretty good and had to constantly force myself to cool the jets (its been3 weeks since my runs have felt "on") Even felt like I had enough energy for the swim today..... (THRS Planed Swim).

Thanx for the well wishes..... I have been stressed over not getting my swims in...now this.... I just have to resign myself to realize I'm "OK"swim fitness wise ( I may not go under 1:10 like I wanted....but that's OK) My form is significantly smoother. and I do get back on track much quicker now despite missing several days..... If I get well enough to swim in a week or two-I'll be fine. I wont push it.
  • Options
    @David - sending healing shoulder vibes your way. At least the swimming bit should be the shortest of the day. I've got a mystery shoulder thing as well and I've been barely swimming at all for the past 2 months so I'm in the same boat. At least we know that we can do the swim, even without the last bit of training. :-)
  • Options

Did my first real workout since the camp. Today I rode 40 miles as close to ABP as I could. I think I could have pushed harder, but I was trying to smooth out the ride and lower my VI. I ended out with a .77 IF for the entire ride. I got my VI down to a workable number. Finished the ride with a brick. I ran 6 miles starting with the first 2 at my goal pace for the start of the run. I had a hard time slowing down and ended up about 10 seconds too fast. The next 4 miles were on a progressive pace where I started at my goal race pace and ran faster for every successive mile. That was a hard workout, but I really feel good right now.

• Options

Did my long run today and yeah, it kinda sucked. Ended up doing 15 miles, so that's cool, but I was only feeling the love for the first half.  The second half was me just forcing myself to stay out there - not enjoyable like usual.  I managed a pretty steady pace, but not what the plan called for, the descending zones typical of a Thursday.

On another note, my family crossed the finish line with me at the Quassy Half 2 weeks ago.  We've been nominated for the Family Photo Finish Line contest.  If you're on Facebook, you can go here to vote for my photo.  The winner receives a free Rev3 race entry.  Who doesn't like a free race?!!

https://www.facebook.com/rev3tri/photos/a.10154270464800092.1073741863.339986125091/10154270466100092/?type=3&theater

• Options
    Thankx ALL for the good shoulder vibes.....that and the naproxen seems to be helping (I can raise my arm above shoulder level now image
    @ Antoinette -Very cool about the pic! You may be getting into the deep fatigue zone. I was only really noticing it on my runs (Usually my best sessions) ...just things getting sluggish and finding RPE not matching pace. I kept hammering the bike and found even trying to back down/having to back down on the runs wasn't enough. This high volume is sneeky. You might need to dial back some and then -do as I say not do- don't over compensate with KOM bike rides on weekend.

• Options
    Congrats Antoinette! You got my vote, great photo.

My run was horrid. I could barely get out of Z1. The legs were just dead. I managed 16.5 miles in 2:30. I guess I should be somewhat happy with that. I am looking forward to tomorrows swim. Give the legs a rest.
  • Options
    @Edwin, great workout, that's great that you've recovered from camp!

@Antoinette, way to get through the run, i had a tough time myself. and what a great picture, I voted for you!

Still not 100% from camp. I had grand plans to smoke the run tonight but that didn't happen, ha ha. Ran 10 at my Z1 pace and didn't have much left at the end. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/524270953 I'm hoping that my legs will be back for the weekend workouts.
  • Options
    I hear ya, fellow campers.  Today was my first day back at it.  Did a 1 hour, .79 IF bike, and that was all I had.  Doug, your Z1 is close to my HMP - nice!  Hopefully things get straightened out for Saturday's long ride.
  • Options
    @Antoinette, Fun picture! Another vote for you, good luck.

@David, glad to hear there is some progress with your shoulder, hope that heals up quickly.

Did just over 15 today for my long run. I started out a little slow running with a coworker for the first 3 miles and then slowly picked it a little each mile but never got to Z2. Hoping to get a swim in tomorrow & I have my bike route mapped out for Sat.
  • Options
    Nice job everyone! A tough run seems like the common theme and mine was no different!

I had a small window this morning to squeeze in 2.5 hours and "only" got in 2hr20min. I started in heavy rain and made the mistake of wearing a long sleeve waterproof jacket. It got hot fast and I ended up tying it around my waist which wasn't ideal. Z1 felt not so easy today and after kicking up to z2, it got rough at the 1:45 mark. Legs were heavy and hr was higher than normal. I finished with 17 miles on the nose - the longest run I've done in 1.5 years, so I was happy about that. But, the last mile or two was an exercise in mental toughness. I know I'm fatigued, but the fact that I felt that bad at this distance will push me to train harder in the upcoming weeks to be more prepared. Lastly, I lost over 5lbs on this run and didn't drink nearly enough (20 oz). That was a mistake I won't make again.

• Options
    @Antoinette - Great pic:-) I voted for you.

My legs were fine on my run yesterday but about an hour in, my stomach started letting me know that it wasn't happy with me and there was not a bathroom in sight. I really picked up the pace on the way back and managed to do another 1:10 with the last 2 km just above Z3 pace.

Swimming this morning had to be aborted about 1500m in due to lightning. I should imagine that there's lightning around all the time because I was cooking on my way into land.

I've got a little sprint race tonight that I had forgotten I signed up for until I got my race packet in the mail - last race before LP. Exciting. :-)
  • Options
    There must be an anomaly in the interweb flux capacitor if I'm at the top of the EN Strava leader board LOL :} must be all you studdly West Coasters haven't posted their Camp week #s yet.
    Ill detail more but.... 112mls 6:10 w/ some hills and wind...and 80+ temp. Could have gone under 6hr ...but was "Good" and held off and kept my watts capped in the .72- .75ish range. Run off bike felt good for the most part...did NOT want to go a full 26...or even 13 though. Was hard to hold pace down -noticed the heat for the first time and will definitely be soaking myself down come race day. Cooling sleeves and "dark cooling" tech defiantly noticeable cooling effect. drank as much as I could tolerate but still lost 4 lbs.
    The idea of another 6 hr ride tomorrow does not make me happy. I really don't think my neck can tolerate that again. (this is only the 3rd time I've gone 6hrs ever on a bike) [and a IM distance PR by 38min -and felt waaaay better than I did at IMAZ BTW]
  • Options
    Nice ride David, that's great!

Way to tough out those runs everybody! That's going to pay off big time on race day!
  • Options
    Thursday swim: open water against tide, tough going but getting it done. Out of nowhere muscle spasm
    in calf. Horrible pain, floated and friend massaged til it subsided.
    What causes tbis and more importantly, how do i prevent it from happening
    again?
  • Options
    @Mary, Cramps are bad but, but it's the worst when you're swimming! Someone got a cramp at camp, I think it might've been John? One of the things that Coach P mentioned was that lifting the whole front portion of your body out of the water to sight will cause cramps. He suggested trying to lift just your head. Not sure if that's the same issue you are having but maybe worth a try! Good luck in Syracuse tomorrow!
  • Options
    @Mary I used to get cramps whenever I swam more than 1,000 yards. I added S-Caps to my pre-swim nutrition and have not had any issues since. I also have some salty snacks throughout the day. In my race nutrition consult they emphasized to me how much sodium I need.