Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Week 15 42 days

2»

Comments

• Options
    2 quality workouts done today. The first was a run, 5 miles including a little warmup, 1 mile at TP and the remainder at MP. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/525078387

Had a good ride too. That last 1.5 hours is tough though, wow! today was the warmest day I’ve ridden so far. I got a little behind on the fluids. Mostly because riding at a higher intensity I have a hard time keeping the perform down. Never bonked though. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/525600510

Hope everyone got it done today!
  • Options
    I've had bad calf cramps that I attribute to cold water, I had on calf compression sleeves and poor warmup. I get toe cramps in pool from time to time still. I've read that the circulation to calves/feet is relatively poor...Add cold...Add compression -including the squeeze in wetsuit.....and then have metabolic waist buildup with plantar flexed foot and bam cramp. Try doing good foot/calf WU not just shoulders. Might help.
  • Options
    @Doug I know my can't eat run hr...my I'm going to hurl run hr....but just now getting a handle on the bike numbers. My outdoor HRS are so much lower vs indoor power/HR I'm still playing with the #s. For me it seems more to do with how long and how warm (drink temp) I can tolerate the sweetness. I need to invent a nice crisp IPA flavor sports drink. ; ) actually it does cause me to drop off my fluid intake too much. And I'm still loosing 2-4 lbs by end of long rides. Sigh....A few more weeks to get it tweeked.
  • Options

Thanks to all who voted in the photo contest - results on Monday. 

I had a great ride yesterday.  Felt good throughout I think because I did manage to stay on top of my nutrition and hydration even though it didn't feel as hot as I thought it would be.  I was pushing the whole time with a number in mind.  85 miles in all. Unfortunately, I did not get the run in before...too much going on here. 

@Doug - great work.  Sounds like your legs are back!

• Options
    Yesterday's workouts went well. 87 miles on the bike followed by a 6 mile run. Another windy day yesterday is helping me get used to the deeper wheels. I haven't reviewed all the lap data yet but I was able to get the VI lower as well, I'll be working on that again today. The post ride run felt good, didn't quite hit the threshold intervals but I was able to get to Z4.

Just finished mapping out a route for today's ride & heading out.
  • Options

Got some great riding done yesterday. I was back in the Adirondack's on Lake George. I rode the HITS triathlon course. Wow, that is a difficult course. There is a ton and a half of climbing. Almost 3,700 feet on the half course. I was glad I only did a ride yesterday and not the race. IM pace was much easier on the legs. There were some very fast racers there. The run course was also hilly.

• Options
    Was not looking FWD to yesterday’s ride. I mean only the 3rd time riding IM distance ...and now I'm supposed to follow that with another long ride?!
    Got myself out the door thinking “just go at Z1 and try and enjoy the ride...."
    1st HR was kinda nice
    2nd hour bumped up the watts...a little bit and held 18mph at 10-20w less/10bpm HR less than race pace (less challenging course)
    by HR 3 I was "over it"....not hurting (expt Neck and 'taint)...hr wasn't climbing but just 'done'
    made myself do the reverse loop back.... neck really becoming a issue.....turned into "just Finnish it"
    88miles at 4:40 (slowed way down last 6 uphill miles Z1 PWR)
    -so 200miles/2 days Not too bad given my lack of long ride history. Glad I pushed through.
    Interestingly my legs felt good enough to run right off bike....just the 'deep fatigue' reminding me what Id done.
    I feel ~ehh OK today fatigue wise. kinda beat up all over and the niggling calf pain I had during ride is tight and sore today....neck is surprisingly fine.
    We'll see how the run goes image
    My shoulder seems 95% better (it didn't hurt before the last swim either so I don't know how to trust that...)

Looks like everyone else is getting in some good miles too!
  • Options

David...88 miles the day after your 112 miles...great!

I only got 71 miles the second day...

Well, the "camp weekend" for me was all once day delayed.

So I did the 2.4 miles swim on Friday evening (in 1:05:22...happy about that),

the 112 miles ride + 6 miles run on Saturday (6:04:xx for the ride incl. 4960 ft. elevation gain, a flat tyre and many many red lights) and

a 71 miles ride today (in 3:49:42 incl. 3460 ft. elevation gain)

I scheduled the long run for tomorrow morning. 

• Options
    Seeing some solid work from everyone...that's awesome and it makes me feel better that I'm not alone here. I did the 50min run before the bike yesterday. It was good to hit z2 at my correct HRimage The plan called for me to follow with a 5 hour bike. The good news is that I was out there for 5.5 hours. Bad news was that I only got 4.5 of riding done. I had yet another mechanical malfunction on the bike and lost an arm rest about halfway through which prevented me from riding aero for the remainder of the bike. The rest of my time out there was fumbling for a fix which didn't happen and helping a couple I came across fix a flat. Total miles done 81. Now I have to find a way to fix my bike.

My other ride most likely won't be until tomorrow. Keep up the solid work everyone!
  • Options
    @Antoinette, let us know if you win. Great ride yesterday, sounds like you're recovered from camp too!

@Sandro, way to get it done! That's a lot of work!

@Chris, nice ride! There's no way I can hit those intervals after the bike.

@Edwin, David, Brad, nice work guys!

Legs were a little tight when I woke up this morning but after walking around the house for a while eating breakfast and getting ready for the ride that worked itself out. It’s always tough to get going on the Sunday ride but after about 30 minutes I felt good and got it done. Today was even warmer than yesterday. I took in 400 mg of salt/hour in addition to the perform and gels and I think that allowed me to handle the temperature without a problem. A good day nutritionally. It’ll be interesting to see how the legs feel tomorrow! http://connect.garmin.com/activity/526512635
  • Options
    Long Run the Z1 part was easier to hold 10:00 pace on tired legs....Z2 8:50 was hard to hold....got mad and started pushing the last few uphill miles to a progressive neg split down to ~ 8:00 pace up a 4% climb...then had to stop and show ID at the base gate & couldn't get re-started -legs seized up after a 1/2 mile shuffle stopped garmin and walked the last 1/2 mile home. 14.5mls 2:18
    Actually not feeling that bad today....NEED the R&R planed today but just a bit stiff and plan on lots of foam rolling and some yoga tonight.
  • Options
    @David, Nice push on the run following two big days on the bike.

@Doug, I think the fact that I could hit the intervals meant I wasn't pushing the bike hard enough...  Nice job on the VI on your ride!! I'm still working on getting my power levels more stable on the long rides.

Did a 45 mile ride yesterday followed by a 6 mile run. Ride felt pretty good but got cut short when I skipped a loop due to road conditions and construction. I decided to kick the intensity up a little to try and make up for it being shortened. Now I need to figure out why my VI from Sunday, where I thought I was pushing the hills a little harder, was better than Saturday. ?? The data definitely looked smoother for Sun. The run after the ride felt good and I was able to neg. split. Started a little quicker than Z1, picked it up at the halfway point and pushed towards Z2(but not quite there) for the remainder.

Instead of carrying water and perform I diluted the perform down a little this weekend, 2 scoops instead of 3, and that seemed to make a big difference. Easier on my gut and more palatable. I supplemented the nutrition with power bars and cliff blocks.
  • Options
    Hi Team...it sounds like everyone is moving along with their workouts and reading them keeps me moving along as well. It's been a very busy last few weeks but things are slowly coming together. I have decided to take the next 5 weeks off of work leading up to Lake Placid and then I will also be taking 4 weeks off following the race to get nice and recovered because.......I'm a teacher! (My wife is, too.). All those built up sau's are now being cashed in!

We are heading up to Placid at the end of this week so I can have my own training camp as I was unable to make the team camp. Weather looks good (knock on wood) and I will send any updates I can to the team about water temp/road conditions/etc...... Have a good training week everyone.
  • Options

Although it's technically Week 16, I missed Sunday's ride so made it up on Monday afternoon and am quite pleased with how I felt.  I got in 57 miles and actually felt quite refreshed at the end.  I'm actually repeating Week 16 so already know what's in store and looking forward to it.

• Options
    @Peter, I am so jealous! I would love to have the next 5 weeks off. I still don't think I would have enough time to train eat and sleep.

@David, way to get that long run done! I think that's the toughest wko of the camp week. Rest hard, that fatigue will sneak up on you quickly.

@Chris, sounds like you had a great weekend!

@Antoinette, great job on the bike!
  • Options
    Thanx everyone for the Props - that weekend was tough. I think I have a little PTSD now.
    I missed the swim (again) this am. I was drugged like tired....couldn’t make it happen. IM actually not that sore...a little stiff in the calves and Quads.....not bad considering. more pre-hab/re-hab work tonight is planned.
    Lots going on this week to mess with training. But I probably need the recovery anyway.....