Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Week 16 5 weeks

Make every training day count. Taper is around the corner.

Comments

• Options
    So I have an interesting week coming up. I am heading to Atlantic City to camp with Macca for four days, followed by a relay race at the Challenge race. I am doing the bike section so it will be a good tune up for IMLP and catered.
  • Options
    @Simon -Macca Camp KOOL! let us know how it goes (jellous)
  • Options
    @Simon, that camp sounds great, enjoy!

Got a nice 2 miles OWS in last night. Had picked up a cheap sleeveless wetsuit on sale over the winter and this was the first chance to try it out. Felt really good to have my arms free. I was only a couple of seconds per 100 slower than my last 2 mile swim so I don't think there was much difference between that and the full sleeve. I'll keep using both over the next month and decide which to use in LP as it gets closer.

Had to add that I just did today's run at lunch and hit a PB for a 10k.  That was a nice surprise. image

• Options
    Well crunch time is here for IM training with volume going up. Over the next two weekends very important trg 1 day epicman Saturday sessions are being done. I am putting it out there for If you want to get in you can plan as you need. First up is Saturday 28 th June Ross household will be in Mont Tremblant. Dpt Ottawa Sat 0600 hrs Arr 0800 hrs. Second Epicman will be July 5th in LP hopefully capturing some of our American sleeper cell group. Dpt Ott Sat 0500 Arr 0830ish. This will be my last RR before LP. So note the dates if you are interested. Time is now upon us for the last push to LP.
  • Options

SOOO I am finally getting some time to catch up!! Last couple of weeks have been GO GO GO!

Had an awesome time up at IMLP camp and then I went back this past weekend for another camp! It was a successful weekend, and I am glad I was able to ride the course again.  I felt like I handled the course better and when I got off the bike after the 110 (we cut out the 1 mile out and back on the 2nd loop) I felt pretty good. Got a good brick run in after the ride. Then Sunday did a swim TT (I participated because I thought it would be a good opportunity to be out in that lake again and get my mojo back, which I did. Sun shining and water was warmer, turn around marked by someone in a kayak from QT systems which was helpful).  Then refueled and did a long run. Huge difference from last weekends run. What a difference running on tired legs makes. It was TOUGH.  Muddled through the best I could and got 2 hours 10 minutes.  Missed the EN crew for sure though

2 mile swim today and back on that bike tomorrow!! Nice work everyone

@Simon- Have a GREAT time at camp!!! 

• Options
    @Simon, enjoy camp with Macca. I like the fact that he actually has a personality unlike a lot of the pros.

@Steve, thanks for the invitation, I won't be able to make either date. Have fun!

@Laura, way to bring the volume 2 weeks in a row, nice work on the improvement.

4500 yards in the pool yesterday. My arms felt really strong the entire swim. Probably because it was my first swim in about a week. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/527167989

Interval run this morning before work. Drove to the track and it was closed so I came back home and ran from there. Warm and humid and the heart rate was a little higher than normal as a result. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/527498629

Another 4500 yard pool swim this evening. The arms weren't as strong as yesterday and I was slowing down the last couple sets. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/527952657
  • Options
    @Simon - that camp sounds awesome! I'm jealous :-)

Not so much good stuff to report on my workouts here. I'm burned out so I'm trying to get that mojo back. My entire department got laid off a few weeks ago and it's been chaotic to say the least. Add that to the fact that we're probably moving to England the week after we get back from LP, so I might need to quit my job next week and it's easy to see why I'm feeling a little burned out.
  • Options
    @Jen - I can understand how all of that would impact your workouts. Try to stay as focused as possible and I hope things go smooth with the work transitions.

@Laura - Nice job on back to back camps! Impressive.

Looking forward to tonight's bike workout. It will feel good to move since I've been in an all day online training session today so I couldn't get my run in at lunch. Hoping to do the run after the bike tonight.
  • Options

Mother Nature is letting it all out today!  Crazy thunderstorms and pouring buckets.  Thankfully, I got my (broken) ride in this AM and a run just as the rain began.  I started out on the bike and decided to head to the LBS.  Stopped in to ask a few questions and decided to demo a new saddle.  Getting it put on for this weekend - headed back to Placid for some more time on the course. YAY!  Went back out to finish up the ride and with about 10 minutes left, my phone started buzzing.  Stopped, checked, ALARM for a chiropractor appointment in TEN MINUTES!  Crap! I was about that far away - or was I?  On a bike - maybe I could make it in time.  But would he really appreciate me showing up all sweaty and in a tri kit?  At least I was proudly displaying my EN team colors - my doc is an EN fan!  I busted my butt to get there on time.  He didn't mind the sweat and was kind enough not to comment if I did stink.  His only comment on my attire at all was, "I'm jealous, I'd rather be out there doing that than in here doing this!"  Yes, he's a triathlete too.  Love my chiropractor - and by the time I left I was already feeling a bit better, but neck still stiff and tight down the back/right side.

Headed home and out for a run.  A minute away from the house the skies opened up and didn't stop until well after I was home.  Good run, mostly Z3/Z4 but was just happy to be running pain free and I actually love to run in the rain (usually sprinkles, but a complete downpour would at least keep me cool for today).  I just hope my shoes are dry for tomorrow's long run!

Thanks to all who voted in the photo contest.  I did not win, but it was close!  

And on a completely unrelated note, I have to share that I was replaying some of the posts I've read in the past few days in my head during my last few days' workouts.  The team mojo, the encouragement, even sharing what ails us...it all keeps me going, knowing I'm not doing it alone and that we're all in each others' corner.  So THANKS!

@ Steve - Wish I could make Epicman LP on the 4th, but I'm going to be there this weekend while you all are at Tremblant.  Have a a great time.  Thanks for the invite!

@ the rest of Team EN for IMLP - you guys rock!  Keep kicking ass and let's do this!!!!!

• Options
    Heading up to LP tomorrow! 112 miles plus hour run on Friday. 2.4 mile swim plus 56 miles bike Saturday then 1.2 mile swim and 13.1 mile run Sunday! Cannot wait to get going. I have been jealous of all your reports.
  • Options
    @Laura

Two LP camps very nice!!

Have they finished the re paving of Rte 73?

• Options
    @Jen, stand down for a workout if you have to or shuffle some around to better fit how you are feeling. We are so close to the race, keep up the hard work! I hope the life stuff calms down for you.

@Antoinette, sounds like a crazy day!

@Larry, have fun. I think being on the course will make a huge difference on race day.

1 hour bike tonight including 2 X 15' @ 1.03, 1.03. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/528604298

5 mile brick after the ride including 4 at MP and 1 at HMP. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/528588310

These workouts aren't getting any easier but the fact that we are less than 3 weeks from the taper now gives me that little extra bit of incentive to push through! Get it done out there team!
  • Options

@ Doug- Nice work tonight! @ Larry have an awesome time in LP!! @ Bill- paving was further than it was from EN camp weekend...but its not near the decent yet.       @ Antoinette- sounds like a crazy day but you still got it done! Way to go! I second everything you say about the team mojo and helping with workouts. I am so thankful for ALL OF YOU!!!

Wanted to pass along a 100 mile ride for a great cause on July 12 (our last 112 mile RR!!) It starts in Avon CT.

EVERYONE RIDE / RUN AGAINST CANCER EVERYDAY

.Heres the link........ http://www.errace.org/

• Options
    @Antoinette - you must have sent that rain storm this way. We're getting a crazy thunder/hail storm at the moment. Makes me glad I got in my long run this morning when the weather was cool and sunny. :-)
  • Options
    Seeing all the solid work this group is getting done is inspiring. This week has been a challenge for me since my kids are done with school but haven't started camp and I've been spread thin. I've been working from home and entertaining the young ones which has been fun but not easy. I've found that I've only been able to get done part 1 of the 2 part workouts over the last couple of days. Im worried on a few levels: Am I losing fitness? Will I be ready in time? Finally, so,e aches and pains are starting to kick in ....I'm sure we've all had these thoughts, but the timing here is of major concern. So, Sundays 3.5 hr bike was moved to Monday, I only swam on Tuesday, and I only did the FTP bike yesterday...which I found very hard. Today I will get the long run done....somehow! And the good news is that by Saturday afternoon, I should be good to go for the remainder of my training until race day. At least my kids are enjoying the time image
  • Options
    @Laura- I hadn't seen that ride out of Avon. I've been considering one in The Berkshires, MA, where I plan to spend some time this Summer. Here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.berkshirecycling.org/p/greylock-century-ride.html

Also a century ride, and on July 12. The kicker is that it's almost 10k feet climbing.

I'm trying to decide if it's best to do an organized ride as a RR. Upsides: others on course to simulate race conditions, some on course nutrition. Downside: could be that there are others on course. I'd love to be able to go to LP that weekend, but I'm not sure if it's possible.
  • Options
    @Brad I am in the same place as you with the aches and pains. I suspect that having worked so hard for so long that it is normal. Coach P told me to take a day off when needed to deal with these things so I have as needed. It seems to help. I am not too worried about losing fitness. At this point, so close, I am where I am. Race day will take care of itself. I will race as if it is just another training day.
  • Options
    So rode 20 miles and a 3 mile brick, ran for 45 minutes again last night. Hot and humid run. Just swam the Challenge Course. Off to do a 90 minute bike ride. Will do long run after the USA game.
  • Options
    @Brad, it's definitely normal to have those feelings, especially leading up to a big race and even more so because it's your first IM. Don't worry too much, you've done a ton of work up to this point in the season, OS, build to Quassy, and now the IM build. If you've been consistent a wko here or there won't hurt your fitness at all. Just try to get those key workouts in if at all possible, long run, and 2 long bikes. It's not uncommon to lose or struggle with your top end speed at this point either. It's not losing fitness, it's a result of volume fatigue and turning the gasoline motor into a diesel engine that will run all day. Aches and pains...everyone has something at this point before an IM. If not, they probably aren't training enough to be truly ready or aren't challenging themselves during their workouts. You just have to take that extra time for foam rolling or stretching or whatever you do to recover. Take it a little easier on a workout if necessary, you don't have to set a new PR every time out. During the 2nd week of the taper you will be back to full strength and that stuff will work itself out. You've worked hard, I have no doubt you will be ready 1 month from tomorrow!
  • Options

@ Doug and Larry - great feedback.  I think we are all feeling what Brad voiced so thanks for such great advice.

I got my long run in early today to be back in time for the soccer match.  It was long, it was a run and it's done.  I didn't feel great the whole first 2 hrs but my overall pace wasn't too bad.  Felt good enough to push Z3 for the last 20, when I realized I didn't restart my Garmin after my bathroom stop.  Oh well, somewhere around 16 miles.  Alternating high humidity and rain the whole time.  I lost 3 pounds, need to drink more, but knew going out I only had what was on my FuelBelt.  I'll rehydrate for the rest of the day.

Heading to Placid to train Saturday and Sunday.

• Options

@ Antoinette- Have a GREAT time in LP! Jealous I won't be up there with you! You are going to have some great training sessions up there 

I had a great long run today.  It was super humid but once I got into a rhythm it felt better!

So not sure if everyone already saw this but the 2014 Athlete Guide was just released!  Here it is!!

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/dbca...0edits.pdf

• Options
    @Laura, great work there! Thanks for the invite but I'm going to do my final RR on the LP course, it's a little closer. Thanks for the heads up on the Athlete guide, exciting!

Really tough run tonight. Temp was in the low 80’s when I started, and the sun was in full bloom. Humidity wasn’t crazy but it was noticeable. 18 miles in all. Ran the first 8 at Z1 and then over the next few miles sped up the pace. At about mile 12 it started to get pretty hard and then by mile14 I couldn’t keep up the pace and the last 3 I just did all I could do to get back home. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/529179609

To follow up on Brad’s post from earlier. I believe I have a case of PF developing in my left foot. I’ve been feeling a little something there on and off for the past 3 weeks. My left calf gets extremely tight at times and I’ve really been trying to stretch it out. At the rate it is developing I should be fine for the race but just something I’m keeping my eye on.

Keep up the great work everyone, we’re almost there. I agree with everyone else, it’s really motivating to see the posts in here. I feel like the buzz is getting a little louder. Building up to a race I really try to hold my emotions in check and kind of look for distractions from the race so I don’t get burned out. At this point though the excitement is definitely there.
  • Options
    @Larry and Doug- thanks for the kind words.

More great workouts from you all!

Like Doug, I did the run tonight. The heat and humidity were not friendly and caused a definite increase in my HR. I never felt like I got into a great rhythm on this run and found myself counting miles which isn't a good sign. I did an hour at Z1 and bumped the effort up afterwards, but never really hit z2 pace, since my HR was above that level. Also, like Doug, the later miles got rough. Miles 14 and up, the wheels really began to come off. I did 17.5 in all. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/529207596

@Doug - you mention PF, but say your having calf tightness. Unless it's very low calf (towards the Achilles), I doubt that it's PF....which is a good thing! In any case,take care of that now if you can...plenty of stretching first thing in the morning...
  • Options
    @Doug - I don't know about PF but I wear my calf sleeves pretty much 24/7 when I feel like my calf is starting to tighten up and cause pain in my knee and it seems to help. Not sure if it's just psychosomatic but it can't hurt?

@Laura - I saw that and have read it at least 5 times since they released it. :-) Need to know everything!

What is everyone planning on doing for dinner Friday night since they've gotten rid of the athlete dinner and now it's just a welcome event.
  • Options
    @Brad, our HR profile for the run was very similar. Tough day, way to get it done out there! As far as the PF goes. (Thanks for reading!) I'm linking the calf to my foot based on information I've read in at least one thread on the PF issue. I'm not a doctor or anything in the medical field so I could be way off. I've never had tightness in my calf to the degree I have it sometimes so that's what made me connect the two. I could be way off but in any case I'm just trying to pay extra attention to that area to prevent anything more serious from happening.

@Jen, believe it or not I do not own a pair of calf sleeves/socks. I'm not sure what kind of triathlete that makes me, ha ha. I may actually head to my local running store tonight to see why all the cool kids are doing it, thanks! Right now I don't have any plans for dinner Friday. I'll probably buy some groceries and make dinner at my rental.
  • Options
    Also no idea about Friday dinner. Since I think my in laws will be in town by then, my wife and I may try to do something with them. They have been forewarned that Saturday night(and ALL of Saturday after breakfast) they are on their own! For those that have been through this, is Friday night tough to find a place to eat?
  • Options

@ Doug - I began developing PF in my right heel around November.  It slowly got worse and I ended up seeing a Chiropractor for it (and a shoulder problem) around March.  It can be from tightness in your calves and with the volume you're doing it most likely is and will only continue to get worse if not prevented.  When I first started going to the chiropractor, it was bad enough it hurt every step I took, even just walking around the house.  It will cause you to alter your gait and throw something else off (like your hips, causing IT band issues) so don't let it go.  If the first step out of bed in the AM is painful, it's PF.  You can try a quick straight leg calf stretch and rotating your ankle before standing up out of bed.  At it's worst, my guy did ultrasound on the affected part of my heel coupled with electric stim on the knot in the calf.  If you don't have the option for a chiropractor, best thing you can do is roll the crap out of your calves before and after running.  Also roll the affected part of the bottom of your foot on a golf ball - you have to really get on it hard so it hurts.  You need to break upd the scar tissue that is forming and causing the fascia to be inflamed before it eventually becomes an adhesion.  If need be, put the golf ball in a shoe box so it doesn't shoot across the room.  I use my Adaday roller also for my heel - it has a smaller roller ball in between the bigger ones and I can really get on the "corner" of the heel which is hard to get with a ball.  You can also try to "dig it out", really knead the crap out of it with your fingers, but it's hard to do to yourself.  Maybe have someone else do it.  Also, balancing things out, stretch the muscles in the front of your leg and foot by sitting with your "bad" ankle crossed over the other knee, heel facing you and top of the foot facing away.  Grab just the tips of your toes and gently pull down (trying to lengthen the leg) and back towards you stretching across the top of your foot and up the front of your leg.  You might also feel some stretch in the hip.  Really try to not pull on your whole toe, just the very tips of you can.  

In the words of my doc, "You've put in too much work to be injured at this point."  

Super good luck.  Let me know if any of this helps you.  It's been extremely helpful to me.  I'm trying to convince my chiropractor to come to LP with me to put me back together afterwards image

• Options
    @Antoinette, thank you so much for all of the information. Fortunately at this point the only discomfort I've had is walking around the house after a workout. Last night was the worst it's been so far where after I cooled down it came on and I actually was limping around home. I feel fine this morning except a slight "feeling" there that I never had in the past. I wouldn't be able to see a chiro until the taper but I will definitely work the foam roller more, try the golf ball stuff (sounds painful), and the toe stretches. Thank you!
  • Options
    I'm glad to see so many people getting back to LP for some more rides, I really wish I could get up there again. I've got my long ride planned for tomorrow and a couple of club members my join me for one of the loops. Going to use my car as my refill station after the first loop. Not as much climbing as LP but I'm going to try and plan a loop with more climbing for Sunday.

As of yesterday afternoon I was feeling very lucky that my knee issue had cleared up after reading about everyone's injuries, aches and pains. I was even looking forward to my long run. About half way through my hamstring started to tighten and then my calf knotted up shortly after. I was able to keep running, slowly increasing the pace and neg split but was not able to get to my MP or faster for the end. Finished just shy of 16. Got home, foam rolled, soaked and Tina massaged my calf for a while. This morning I foam rolled again before my swim and I've been periodically working a LaX ball into the knots in my calf. @Antoinette, the shoe box trick won't work for that one, I've been chasing this thing around my office on a couple of occasions. image

I hope everyone gets through the aches and pains successfully. To those of you heading back to LP have a great trip!! Safe travels.

@Antoinette, thanks for the name of that roller. I saw it at the camp and forgot to ask which one it was, the 'stick' doesn't really work for me and the foam roller is hard to target anything specific. That looks like it would be much easier to manage the the LaX ball I'm using at the moment.

On the good side, this morning's 2 mile swim at the pond felt great.
  • Options
    For Friday night if anybody is interested I am planning on doing a BBQ for friends and family. It will be byof. Bring your own food. Just low key I will send more info nearer the time.