Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Week 16 5 weeks

2»

Comments

• Options
    I hope everyone is doing well with their training/recovery. I'm in Lake Placid for my own "camp" since I was unable to make it to the official team camp. Rode the bike course today (first time on the course) and then ran 6 miles after that. Took my time on the first bike lap to make some mental notes and such. The second was more paying attn to watts/hr/etc.....

In Massachusetts we have some pretty crappy roads from this winter but the decent down 73, towards the bottom, takes the cake. I was thinking about riding my full suspension mtb down the decent and them switching to my tri-bike right after...ha, ha. Good experience overall though.

More riding tomorrow along with a swim.

• Options
    Looks like I wasn't the only one with run issues. I'm out of town for 4 day pass and so plugged in the 3hr/18ml run. Started OK but the slight cloud cover cleared and I went through my fluids much faster than usual. Damn this humidity. I used 10:30 for files hr goal....OK...then 9:50 for next 1.5 hrs....hard to keep this Ave when fighting the hills and adding in short walk breaks to simulate aid stations (dry)....The Z2 last miles where also uphill and where miserable. I barely managed 9:15. 18ml/3:10 min including a final CD mile.
    I lost 8 lbs
    NOT my race strategy!
    I got my swim....mostly in 200 WU the 400 yrs before having to jump out due to work. Happy with the 1:48/100. Happy I felt relaxed at that pace....not happy my shoulder started to hurt at 1 mile in and I switched to breathing near exclusively to that side. It's not the poll but the reach out of the water that seems to set it off....and its my least comfortable side image. I still need to do some wetsuit trials
    . Sigh.
    Work tomorrow. ...not sure if time/weather is going to let me get a 5 hr ride.....
  • Options
    @Chris, way to battle on the run, glad the knee is feeling better, take care of that calf now! I myself never came close to MP on my run yesterday.

@Peter, in the athlete guide it says the descent out of town will be paved for the race, I sure hope so. Enjoy your own version of camp.

@David, way to get that long run done!

Got an OWS in today. 2.3 miles in total. I really didn't want to wear my wetsuit but i saw a bunch of other people wearing theirs and figured the water must be cold. Wrong, the water was pretty warm to the point where some areas it felt like you were sitting in a bath. Now I know! Felt a little taxed still from yesterday's run. Recovering hard now and will be up and running for tomorrow's work. http://www.strava.com/activities/158910344
  • Options
    People who are in LP - be extra careful on the bike! It looks like there have been a couple of bad wipeouts on rt. 73 in the last couple of days due to the unfinished repaving work. One guy broke his clavicle and got 50+ stitches on his face.
  • Options
    @jen- I've heard about this mishap too..according to a friend of mine on his tri team, he expected to qualify for Kona. Very unfortunate regardless. I've heard it was from the breaks in the pavement that we encountered at camp a few weeks back. I'd expect that those will not be there on raceday, but be careful!
  • Options
    Didn’t post yesterday due to getting done with the bike late and being tired. I had two good workouts. Things got going for me later than normal yesterday and I started with a 5 mile run at 7:45 am. It was already getting warm and humid at that point. A little warmup, 1 mile at Z4, and the remainder at Z2. I was soaked by the time I got back. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/529988023

Did my normal routine and ate some breakfast and got everything ready for the bike. Typically I drive about 35 minutes from home to get to some good roads. I got to my spot, unload the bike, turn on the bike computer and it says “batteries low.” And I think, oh perfect, I just bought a couple batteries for my powermeter not 5 days ago. I install the battery and turn my bike computer back on and it says “batteries low.” I look a little closer and my computer had 2% of life left! Oh man. So I drove all the way back home to get my backup, and then drove all the back to my bike spot. So, according to my file I didn’t start the ride until 1:40 PM! The bad thing is that was the hottest part of the day. The good thing is that it actually cooled down a little towards the end of the ride. I got the entire 5 hours in. I never felt super strong on the ride. Part of it was the heat and I think part of it was some fatigue. I wanted to quit so bad at the 3.5 hour mark but I dedicated my workouts this weekend to our teammate’s son and his family. Remembering that during the ride I knew I had to finish. I kept fueling throughout and the last hour of my ride was actually my strongest. I held a .78 IF for that last hour. Almost 96 miles on the day with 5,000+ feet of elevation. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/530778297

Getting ready for today's work. Hope everyone is crushing it out there, managing the heat and staying safe.
  • Options
    @Doug, Yesterday afternoon was hot. Also having the garmin setback just taxes you mentally when you're starting so much later than planned. Nice push on that last hour. Thinking a lot about the Jenks family as well these last two days.

Had a good 100 mile ride yesterday. Both VI and hydration/nutrition were better, not fully there yet but I'm learning more about what I need to do and what works for me on each of these rides. The leg didn't bother me at all on the ride but I did feel it a little on the run. Kept the run short and didn't push over MP pace at all.

This morning's ride was cut to 2:30 since I was supposed to take a friend out kayaking. She'll be my kayak support during the Peaks to Portland swim in a couple of weeks and I wanted her to have a chance to be out on the water before the race. That got cancelled last minute so I'm planning a short ride later this afternoon before my run.

• Options
    I switched the Sat and Sun ride this weekend since I didn't get on the bike yesterday until after 3pm. Yesterday I did 3 hours of mostly z3 work with 2700 ft climbing. Total 55 miles. Today did the long ride with my wife. Some of the pace was slower, but it was great to ride with her. We did 5.5 hours, 85 miles, 5300 ft climbing. I followed it up with a 5.5mile / 45 min run in some very hot conditions. That was good mental and physical practice. HR was much higher than normal, but felt good to get it done, especially running off the bike.

I had some concerns today. I felt pain in my right knee early on the bike that lasted most of the day. The pain felt consistant with ITB pain that I last had 2-3 years ago. Oddly, I felt it on the bike, but had no pain on the run. However, as I type this, I'm feeling it a bit. I'm away from home where I have my foam roller, but will hit that hard when I return tomorrow evening. I pray that it's not ITB issues, since my last go around with that lasted for months and I couldn't imagine running 26.2 with that, Also, I think a massage is in order this week!

TJ was on my mind all weekend...,
  • Options
    @Brad, I had a similar issue two years ago with knee pain on the bike.  It was on the outside of my left knee and only hurt while biking.  It turned out that over time, my seat post had slipped a bit and my seat became too low.  I submitted a bike fit video to TTbikefit.com and they had me raise my seat a whole 1.5".  It was their opinion that this was likely the cause of the pain - too much stress on the knee at that angle.  Since raising the seat the pain hasn't returned. Don't know if this helps but wanted to put it out there.
  • Options

@Brad - If it's on the outside of your knee it could also be your shoes. I had some pain that I thought was IT band related and after adjusting my cleats a tiny bit and getting a massage, the pain was gone.

• Options
    That run seems to have had a delayed physical impact just feeling out of sorts. The weekend rides...well....SAT got 3:30 of 5hrs was steady and got the full work set of ~20-25' at low Z3 but then my Main Shift cable snapped and I spun the last 6 miles back to car. I was not that sore/tired but defiantly feeling "over it" by then. Bike store wasn't open till about noon and >40 min away...did needed food shopping....etc way too windy for TT bike w/ deep wheels. So did an hour on MTB just tooling around -for my sanity.....and one fast 1/2mile dash (4th fastest vs Roadies) on the road.

Then after dinner drove to AC for to watch the after dark finishers at Challenge AC. -A drunk Mark Allen was ...um....interesting.

I think I'm just mentaly pooped more than anything. Hard to get rolling....keep the efforts up.
  • Options

WOW - alot going on here and this past weekend.  I was in LP Sat and Sun and didn't know about TJ, but my heart and prayers go out to his family.  I did spend most of the 112 bike thinking of 2 teenagers I didn't know who lost their lives in LP last week.  There was every kind of emergency responder and search and rescue teams out all over the Wilmington bridge, up and downstream trying to find them.  It left a lot for anyone to think about and to encourage me to be thankful that my kids were home and safe. 

Rode 112 in crazy humidity on Saturday.  I think I finally have my nutrition/hydration dialed in.  I felt really good (despite having forgotten my AeroDrink bottle on my kitchen counter and only have the 2 bottle cages on my bike).  I stopped when I needed to refill my bottles and carried Perform powder to mix with purchased water.  And I did take Coach P's advice and added a Coke into my 2nd loop at the Notch.  I'm thankful for all I learned at the camp because 2 of our group was feeling nauseous and lightheaded and didn't go back out for a 2nd loop and 1 actually passed out at mile 105 - the hot day really was tough.  Hopefully, 4 weeks from yesterday will be slightly milder.

Yesterday I was excited to get in a full length (or close) swim.  We checked out the deets on Mirror Lake - supposed to be 1.1 miles ened to end.  Started from the end in front of the Hampton and swam clear to the last buoy on the other side (must be less than 200 yds to the shore), crossed over to third row of buoys and swam back.  My Garmin said my entire swim was only 1.58 miles.  Since we were already a bit later than we wanted, didn't have time to swim any further, but I was totally disappointed I didn't even get close to the 2 miles we expected (and honestly I think my Garmin has got to be wrong somehow).  

Keep up the hard work!  You're all doing great.

@ Brad - I also had a similar issue with pain on the outside of my right knee.  I was sure it was an IT band problem.  When I had my bike refitted, they adjusted my cleats too, said it was turned out just a hair too much and was tweaking my knee.  I hope you find a quick fix!!

• Options
    @Antoinette I probably saw you among the hundreds of other's on the course this weekend. I agree about the heat and humidity making it tough. I stuck with my nutrition plan and power goals and finished all 3 of my loops over 2 days in great shape. Last year when I did the swim you did my watch showed 1.6 miles so this year I set the alert to every 500 years and when I got to 1,000 yard I headed back. I did that a second time, going a couple of extra buoys long to be certain, and ended at 2.4 miles.

It was very sad to hear about the two boys drowning. When I arrive Thursday they had a helicopter involved in the search. On Saturday I stopped and yelled at a tourist couple who were just watching as their children (maybe 7 and 10) were on the wrong side of the fence, on a dirt ledge over the roaring water, throwing rocks into the river. I could not believe that with a search and rescue team maybe 1/2 a mile away they were letting their kids do that. So easy to slip. Just ridiculous. I was so ticked. Still am.

--Larry
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice on the knee, Team! You guys are the best. The cleat positioning could easily be them problem.The pain was on the outside of my right knee. The issue is that my bike fitter left my local bike shop and they don't have someone I trust there at this point. But, if it continues, I'll have to have it looked at. Meanwhile, massage is scheduled for tomorrow eve.
  • Options
    @Antoinette and Larry, nice work up at camp!
  • Options
    Probably worth posting in a general forum... but a recent study that may apply to training adjustments. (finally one done with experienced athletes and realistic training protocols) ....possibly a change in the plan for > 3rd year ? hmmmm. (ie threshold work works in un/under trained but not helpful in experienced cyclists/triathletes....)
    "Polarized training has greater impact on key endurance variables than threshold, high intensity, or high volume training" Frontiers in physiology 4 Feb 20014

makes me feel a little better about doing HIIT as replacement for miss ABP work.
  • Options
    Well Ottawa cell is off to LP for the weekend, we are staying at the KOA.It's a last kick of the course and I will be doing my last RR. New pavement is down time to check it out.