Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Week 17

Comments

• Options
    Well I had a great week of training in AC. Did the bike section of the relay yesterday. It was a good test to see where I was/am. Struggled with the head wind which lasted for about 25 miles. Overall the nutrition was okay. Did a brick run as well. Taking today off due to travel will be back on it tomorrow.
  • Options
    Well done, Simon. I enjoyed your celebrity photos!

Is the group bike testing tomorrow? Personally, my legs are dead. I plan to give it a go but have a couple of concerns. One being subpar results on tired legs. The other is that I really need to test outdoors to get an accurate test before IMLP. I've never tested outdoors and the roads near me aren't conducive to it - no straight always, lots of hills, traffic, etc.

I'll try it anyway but any advice?

• Options
    I'm not testing this week. I just had a sprint tri a week ago so I'm using my HR from the bike section. You could try doing loops around Truesdale Lake in South Salem - there's usually less traffic around there than in Ridgefield :-)
  • Options
    No test here either.  Have to change a few things this week: Ran last night, swimming today, going to do last weeks interval ride tomorrow, then back on schedule with the long run on Thursday hopefully finishing before it hits 90 degrees.
  • Options
    @Jen - Thanks for the tip. Out of curiosity, how do you know the area with you living in Denmark??

I swam 3500 yesterday at the pool. I felt very fatigued and my stroke just wasn't there. I decided 2/3 way the way to use a pull buoy which helped tremendously! It seemed to simulate the wetsuit a lot. Was happy to get it done image

This morning I went for the bike test outside. Wow was that different vs the many I've done on the trainer. It wasn't a complete success given that the descents I hit really took away from my NP since going into them with decent speed, I couldn't pedal fast enough to keep the watts up - not enough gears. I'm fairly confident though, by knowing my HR zones and power levels where my FTP is at this point riding in aero while outside. Unfortunately, its come down a bit from where it was since the OS and GF plans. I guess this is to be expected for most people at this stage of IM training.

• Options
    @Brad - I grew up in South Salem so I'm pretty familiar with the area... :-)
  • Options
    No test for me today. Having ridden the IMLP course 3 times this weekend, running it once, and swimming it 3 times, I am cooked. Still going for a ride though.I feel like I am dialed in though after the weekend. I hit my race power goals exactly. .70 for 118 miles and .71 for 58 miles. Nutrition spot on as well.
  • Options
    No bike power test for me today. With high temps and humidity here and having raced the aqua bike at challenge Atlantic city on Sunday, my bike and I need another day apart from one another. It did everything I asked it to on Sunday (other than a flat tire at mile 0.25 of 112) without backing down so it can have another day off. Me on the other hand will attempt an easy run and swim later today, and be back on plan tomorrow.

• Options

No test for me today either! I am a HR athlete and didn't think (based on a convo with Coach at camp) that a 40 minute HR test would be very beneficial for zones for LP. Got a great 2.1 mile swim in last night and it felt pretty good! This week's training is going to be a bit out of sorts because I am going up to NH to watch my husband run his mountain race on Sunday. Still planning the RR run on Thursday...however it looks like rain/thunderstorms. Just curious about what others are planning if its pouring? Still run?

• Options
    I still run in the rain. Some of my favorite runs have been in the rain. During thunder I take shelter until the rumbles stop.
  • Options
    I've been absent the last couple days. Crashed my bike on Sunday trying to be cool (not really). I sat up in the saddle and took my hands of the bike to try and unzip my jersey a little. Lost my balance a little and when I came back down I grabbed the bars but for some reason my left hand wrapped around the break and squeezed it. between my momentum going forward and the brake locking up I flipped over the bars! scrapes and bruises on my left forearm, but nothing serious. I called it a day. What a stupid move!

Got back in the pool this evening and my left tricep was tender and I couldn't hit my normal paces in the pool. By the end of the swim it felt better but I was still slower. I expect it to be better by the weekend. Swam 4000 yards.

At lunch today I did the typical Tuesday speed workout. I did it on the gym treadmill though due to the heat outside. I figured if I ran outside my paces would be way off and I just wouldn't get a quality workout in. 6.5 miles including 2 X 1 at Z4 and 2.5 at MP.

Final stretch here! Lets get it done.
  • Options
    @Laura - rain is fine but if there's lightning, I try not to be the tallest thing out there... :-)

@Doug - ouch! hope you feel better soon.
  • Options
    @Doug, Hope you heal up quick. Glad it wasn't more serious.

@Brad, My FTP is down as well. I really felt it when I tested prior to the White Mtn Tri. I adjusted my expected IF for the long rides and last night's test confirmed that a bit.

Had a good swim on Monday though. Wore my sleeveless wetsuit and that was even too much considering how warm the pond is getting. Ocean swim tomorrow morning before my long run. Hoping the lightning holds off for both and the rain cools things down a little for the run.
  • Options
    @Laura- I'm planning to do the long RR run early tomorrow morn. I guess it'll be a game time call on the weather, but if it's not thundering and not a torrential downpour, I'll probably get it done.

@Doug- so sorry to hear about that mishap! Sounds like it could've been a lot worse, but falling is never fun, no matter how severe - heal quick and be careful....we are in the home stretch!

I did a 3600 pool swim this morning followed by a steamy 40min run with z4 intervals. The z4 work seems so much tougher now than it did a couple months ago. Hoping to get the long run in tomorrow and the weather looks ok for the bike this weekend image
  • Options

Nice to see that everybody is getting ready for the big day.

Unfortunately I had to start the week in very bad shape...had a bicycle accident on Saturday which left me with a fractured rib.

So no training at all, even sleeping was painful. I hit the trainer today for a short one hour spinning session and the pain was durable as long as I keep my upper body stable.

4 weeks off the race...I hope I can start without any pain, the race itself will be painful enough. What worries me is my swim. At the moment I cannot imagine how to swim for over an hour.

• Options

@ Sandro- SO SORRY to hear about your accident!! Listen to your body and heal quickly! You have done so much work that you have a SOLID fitness base! Sending healing thoughts your way!

@ Doug- Sorry to hear about your mishap too! Glad that it wasn't too serious. Heal quickly 

Thanks to everyone for the response about running in bad weather! Looks like I will be able to run tomorrow in the rain. Hoping to have a great RR. Staying positive. Have some blister issues that have been quite annoying and doesn't help my other tweeks I've been rehabing. All good though.

Great swim this morning. And about to hit next training session now! keep up the awesome work everyone!!!!! 

• Options

Lucky number 1100

Bib list is up on the website!  

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/93a37f1629074e2dbe6a9c64068c5e47/lake placid bib list.pdf

Did my long run today.  Got up early to get it in before the heat - wasn't actually possible.  Got in 17 miles.  Only last 2 were at MP.  The humidity was brutal, but got it done!  

I hope all you injured friends are resting up and healing quickly! Let's all take that extra second to be safe for the next 4 weeks.  We've come too far to be injured now.  

• Options
    Bib 492!

Rest up Sandro and Doug. Do what you need to, your bodies are ready, a little time off will allow for a lot of healing.
  • Options

Did my bike test tonight. Pfhew, it was hot on the trainer! It was hot and humid outside too and windy. Storm is brewing and so having the bike test was not so bad. I recently got a power meter so this was my first test with power. I still have to look at the results (had to get to a meeting right after the wko was over). I know there is a lot to learn but for now I am gathering data and will dig into it after LP.

Hope everyone has a great run tomorrow. I am looking forward to this final long run before LP.

• Options
    @Sandro, heal quickly, sorry to hear about the accident!

@Mary, welcome to a new level of suffering!

@Antoinette, way to get the run done, it was definitely tough today!

Thanks everyone for the positive thoughts! I'm looking forward to getting back out on the bike this weekend.

Did the race rehearsal run today as well. Mid 80's and plenty of humidity by the time I got out there this evening. Hit the first 6 miles at EZ + 30 seconds then brought it down to EZ for the next 9 miles. The last 3 were supposed to be a bit quicker but at that point I was doing all I could to hang on. If race day is this warm I'm definitely going to have to back off the paces. Dropped 9+ lbs even after consuming 48 ounces on the run. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/533374564
  • Options
    @Doug, nice job getting that run done!
    9 pounds down though, that's concerning. you might want to get some WSM or Coach advice on that. Seems like way too much to be good for you, especially with 8 more miles to go. I was down only 2.5.
    Let's just hope Jul 27 isn't as hot as today. It was tough to be out there.
  • Options
    Bib numbers are up! http://www.ironman.com/~/media/93a37f1629074e2dbe6a9c64068c5e47/lake placid bib list.pdf

Fingers crossed that it's not hot on July 27th.. It was about 60 degrees out when I went for my run this morning so I'm so not prepared if it's warm... :-)

• Options
    #727 checking in! (I don't know why it was such a big deal to get my bib #, but for some reason it just was!)

Nice work everyone!

I did the run RR early this morning. The plan was to try to beat the heat and humidity. That plan went out the window as soon as I walked outside...The air was thick! After reading posts from yesterday, I was a bit concerned. Surprisingly, things went really well and I executed the run very close to planned. In fact, I felt better on this run than I had on any long run yet....Maybe it was the 6 miles at z1+30", but things just got better as it got longer including the final 3 miles which I ran at z2/z3 pace.

6 miles @ z1 + 30"
    9 miles @ z1
    3 miles @ z2/z3

Total: 18 miles / 2:36
    Drank 35oz perform
    Ate 2 gels and 3 salt tabs

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/533600263
  • Options
    Well I did my bike test FTP 260. My legs were recovering from my bike effort at challenge Atlantic city. 15 mile run in the bag. Please be safe everyone, would totally suck that you put all this training in and have to pull out at the last moment. Everybody is probably maxed out from the volume of training. I have been trying to run I. The heat of the day just in case it is a hot humid day of the race.
  • Options

Did my Saturday ride today because we are going to be out of town for the weekend.  Was a great ride.  Did 80 miles and although my legs are tired from yesterday's long run, the ride felt really good and strong.

I feel like today my legs realized that WORK WORKS!!! 

Going to run the Firecracker 4 mile tomorrow - a short race just for fun!  Happy 4th of July everyone.  Rock your workouts, be safe and have a great weekend!

• Options
    In Vegas till Monday. Wanted to try and get at least a couple decent rides mid week...but whether sucked. Did 2 trianer rides with some PI's then took bike in for complete overhaul. Having latex tube put in -I'll carry butal tube and riding "4000's". Having all cables shaped and bearings US cleaned etc. Unfortunately mon & we'd are toast. I will likely try z4 work Tues ride w/am run.
    Did long swim today before getting on plane. Only 1 45 min swim earlier this week. Shoulder wasn't really sore after that one but ....again ....about 1 mile in and despite consciously making sure not to over retract arm etc and to get good body roll to that side.....really started hurting. Like before.....nothing ...then ouch....and I stopped this time after one more 25 yards (2400 yrds). ...before it stopped me. It's like a tendinitis but never had this kind of fine until suddenly impossible. Not sure what I'm going to do. I was in wetsuit and averaging 1:36 comfortably (1:48 no suit last 10 test). No heavy pull or over focus on high elbow -9 stroke per 25yrd. ...steady.
    Feeling frustrated a bit right now.
  • Options
    Got the run done yesterday, 18 miles and ended up using almost all or the 3 hours. The first 15 felt good and right on the plan, I wasn't able to pick up the pace for the last 3 though. I thought I had the hydration in line alternating between perform and water every mile (26oz of perform, 22oz of water) but I was still a bit low. About a 5lb difference at the end of the run. Had two gels but forgot the salt tabs. When I looked at the data I saw my HR was in the range of my 5k test for the lat 3 miles.

Heading out for a swim this morning as long as the weather holds and there no storms in the next couple of hours.
  • Options
    @Antoinette, thanks, if it's that warm on race day i'll be looking at heart rate rather than pace (and would expect to slow down considerably) and i'll be using sponges, ice and all that good stuff at the aid stations. way to nail your long run there and tough to get that bike done the next day!

@Brad, way to execute on that run, looks solid! On your Garmin page it says 94% humidity, WOW!

@Simon, way to nail that FTP test!

@Chris, I had a similar issue with my HR and pace during the last 3 miles of the run. Being out there that long in the heat takes a toll. On race day you'll want to pour water on your head, ice in your jersey/shorts etc to help keep your core body temperature down.

Hit the pool for 4000 yards yesterday. The wing felt a lot better but my paces were way off. The pool I typically swim at closed early for the holiday and my backup pool definitely isn't as nice and is just plain slow.

Ran just shy of 5 miles this morning. Legs felt good and more recovered than typical after the long run. Did a little warmup, 1 mile at Z4 and then some time at MP. Towards the end of the MP stuff my heart rate started skyrocketing, not sure why, so I backed off to EZ pace to finish. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/534230107

I'm going to hit the bike today and planning for a 3+ hour ride.

Have a safe weekend everyone, enjoy the holiday!
  • Options
    Antoinette and others who posted info. about the bib list being up - thank you, thank you, thank you!  I opened up the list and.... no Doug Herr.  So I'm freaking out and e-mail WTC.  Apparently, I never completed the online followup from Active.  They said the deadline is July 7th - Monday!  Thank you ENers for saving me from my own stupidity!
  • Options
    Could not run 18 last night due to the Thunder and Lighting. This morning I got up and headed to the lake. I got a 2.45 mile swim I then got my running gear and completed 18 miles. 18 horrible miles. So humid out there. Six miles in my Hokas were squishing as if they had been worn while I swam. I ran out of perform at mile 13 and went into a store and bought a large gatorade, refilled bottles, drank the rest, and finished the run. So slow. 9:53 per mile. So between the swimming and running I drank 60 ounces, had 2 power gels and 6 cliff blocks and a post run protein bar. I lost 8 pounds. Must rehydrate for tomorrows ride...