Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Week 17

2»

Comments

• Options

@ Doug H - OMG, I can't handle a surprise like that and I don't freak out!  So glad you caught it early enough and we all get the pleasure of seeing you out there.  Phew!!

Super fun Firecracker 4 mile race this morning.  Not in my plan, but it was so fun to run faster than MP after all the slower mileage lately. Negative splits all the way finishing with a 7:36mm.  Made for a good start to the day!

Happy 4th to all and for our EN friends who wear or have worn the uniform, as always thanks for all you do!! 

• Options
    @Antoinette, nice job on the 4 miler.

@Doug J, I'll be keeping an eye on HR if it's this hot in LP.

@Doug H, Glad you caught that!!

Did a nice 4600 yd swim this morning. We were able to get out there before any storms rolled in. Getting things ready for a wet start to tomorrows ride, it looks like things will clear a bit as the day progresses.
  • Options
    @Doug, glad we will be seeing you in LP! I only just checked because of what you posted. I'm in but thanks for the heads up!

Nice work everyone with the training and racing!

A little over 3 hours on the ride today. Normal Power was at the high end of Z2 for the entire ride. Felt pretty good. It was in the high 60's with a lot of wind. As I was standing next to my car I had goose bumps and was shivering before I started. A big change from the recent heat wave. I'd actually much rather ride in the heat. I hate being cold on the bike. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/534614108
  • Options
    Hi everyone. What a nice, refreshing day in the Northeast for a change! I had to move my rr run this week, so I was up early to get it done and spend the rest of the day with the family. I have been doing more heart rate training with my running than pace. I have asthma and have found that I recover much better when I do most of my running at a lower hr. I have still been getting in 1 day of running interval work a week. My 3 hour rr went well. It was on a rolling course, weather was near perfect....for me anyway.

No issues to report. Average hr was 127 and average pace was 8:56 min/mile.

Have a great training day everyone!

• Options
    @Peter, nice work on the run!

I got a late start this morning. Did a 4 mile run with some Z4 and Z2 work. Felt really good during the run. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/534913864

Got out on the bike this afternoon and was planning 5 hours but only got in a quality 45 minutes. I blasted a major pothole and got a flat! When I was inflating the tire the valve head broke off and got stuck inside the inflator!!! Rode a flat tire about 8 miles back to my car and called it a day. I'll pick it back up tomorrow.
  • Options
    Happy Fourth and nice work everyone.
    @Doug- sucks that you got derailed yesterday, but I'm sure that you'll go at it today with a vengeance!

No swim for me on Friday. I forgot that the pool was closed for the 4th, and never made it to a rainy OWS, so I took it as a rest day. Yesterday, I did 78miles on the bike, 4hr50min, 5600 ft climbing. My course was a double loop and by the 2nd loop, the wind was crazy. It seemed to be in my face no matter which way I rode so really played games with me. I followed it up with a 4 mile run hitting z2 + 10" on the final mile.

I'm back on the bike this morning for some more.

I've been hearing about lots of bike crashes here and from other sources recently. Careful out there guys - we are in the home stretch and I think as fatigue builds, we trend to get a bit careless. Lets be safe and make it to the finish line in one piece!
  • Options
    That is a bummer Doug.

I agree Brad, the fatigue is there in muscles and mind. Have to keep reminding myself to focus. Rode up a local mountain yesterday that I had been riding by and never thought to go up. Only 1.2 miles up yet up to 24% incline. Burned a few matches on that one. 73 miles and 5900' of climbing.
  • Options
    @Brad and Larry, thanks. Nice work on those rides, lots of climbing. Great training for LP!

I did get back out there today with a vengeance! The last 7 days I've felt very inconsistent on the bike and today I finally nailed it and hopefully that will be the way the rest of my training goes until LP. 100 miles today in just under 5 hours with 5,000 feet of elevation. I was able to push the high end of Z2 the entire time and ended up with an IF of .77 and a TSS of 293. Nutrition was dialed in today. The legs got tired from all the work but I had a lot of energy in my body when I finished. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/536184059
  • Options
    @Brad - always a good reminder :-) The running can be dangerous as well. My legs were tired at the end of my run on Thursday and I tripped over a rock and nearly went head first into the pavement.

This weekend was a wash on training for me. I spent the weekend in bed, fighting the urge to throw up. I'm feeling better now so I'm hoping I got that out of the way.
  • Options
    @Larry - great bike! 24% is no joke...that's more like a wall!
    @Doug - that's some performance! I looked at your file and that's serious consistency on a long bike...you look focused and ready to race!
    @Jen - I think we all lose some focus with this kind of fatigue! Glad to hear you're feeling better. Better now than in a few weeks!

I reluctantly hit the bike again yesterday for 56mi - 3hr22min - 3,700 ft. I did my best to ride hi z2 / lo z3 and did ok through most of it, but fatigue hit me at times and my legs wouldn't cooperate. But, I was happy to get it done. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/535802050

I've been having some lower back spasms over the last couple of weeks and I worry a bit about it so I'm trying to stay loose. Also, contending with some painful saddle sore issues. I guess the cumulative effects are building at this stage...

I did an early OWS this morning in the local pond but only had enough time for 1.5 miles. I'm hoping to get more open water time over the next couple weeks because to be honest, I'm sick of the pool!

Happy training everyone - We are almost there image

• Options

@ Brad- Way to get it done!! @ Jen- So glad you are feeling better!! That does not sound fun at all. Take it easy and recover well! We are so close! 

@ everyone- I am so lucky to be part of this team. All of your training is so inspiring. Thank you for being so motivating!!

This weekend was great but very busy! I did my run RR on Thursday and it went really well. I was happy with my execution. It was SUPER humid as everyone else reported too. My shoes were swishing like crazy at the end. I felt like I had stepped in the puddle. Pacing was pretty consistent. Ended up doing 17 miles. So glad to have that under my belt!

Friday the 4th was crappy weather, but I did an hour ride with my husband and then got my swim done in the pool. (thunderstorms were coming so I felt it wasn't worth the risk to go outdoors. They closed the pool before I could get my total workout in, so I as bummed, but moved on.

Saturday I had a GREAT ride with a fellow EN'r! We rode down to the beach and back. Total 86 miles and I tried to execute better on the bike, and I was def more consistent than I have been which is what I was hoping for!  Head winds on the way back were no fun though! But reminded me of training camp in LP, so good training, 

Sunday I went up to watch my husband race Loon Mountain. He did AWESOME and I was so proud!! I had to hike a mile up this mountain to the finish and that was enough of the mountain for me LOL .Nice gondala ride down 

This morning I did yesterdays 3.5 hour ride. Felt good! Doing some work then hopping in the water later. 

Keep up the great work everyone!!! I can't believe I am leaving for LP 2 weeks from THIS THURSDAY!!!!