Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

Specific training for Waikoloa -> Airport stretch

Even though the suck that comes later in any IM bike is pretty rotten, I find ^this^ stretch to be really really rotten.  I guess its the combo of headwinds, slow progress, nowhere to hide, the heat kicking up, and it coming at a natural point of the race when spirits start to sag.  So I want to get in front of it this year.  My visual is "steady gear 2, body and low head tucked, high cadence, Steve Larsen."   But I said the same thing last year, and the reality was "erratic, gear whatever, stand up a lot and head/helmet like a weathervane." 

So can you think of sessions that might help with the specific mental and physical skillsets that this stretch requires?   

Maybe: 

-once September comes, make sunday ABPs indoors on the trainer, full position, heatucked, and don't budge or back down until I see 3:00?   

-make the last hour (last 2h?) of Sat long rides on flat terrain only, staying in a consistent z2?  

-try a bike FT -> run -> 'ride low and steady in the suck at gear 2' brick?   

I'll be on the island for 2 weeks so I can make this stretch part of pretty much every ride ... but I really want to have this down ... forwards, backwards, upside down and inside out.      

Anything that might 

Comments

• Options
    I too struggled to stay aero on this section of the course.... I find riding in the wind very challenging and there is not much to do to prepare except ride more in the wind... I can't stay aero anymore on my training rides since I ride them all aero...

The one thing I will do on a windy day or section is play a little head game..... I will allow myself to pedal a few watts less (maybe 5) as long as I stay aero.... This is a good compromise and keeps me in the bars....
  • Options
    Thanks, Tim. I had actually thought of one of the unorthodox sessions we talked about in Tucson while I've been tossing this around in my mind. I think the wo was 4h EP, last hour ABP. On paper, this sounds like a piece of cake, but I could imagine, if done properly, it would be a tough day.
  • Options
    Interesting stuff here. As owner of a 350 FTP (SWAG), I have never had a problem here. This is my favorite section of the course as everyone is fading, especially those skinny geeks with names like Tim and Dave. image IIRC in 2012 I was passing the marshall motorcycle (on the left, of course) as even it was going slower than 21mph.

BUT...here's the kicker...all those skinny doodes pass me on the run.

So in 2014 I am thinking of a different race plan, one where I am slightly more aggressive on the outbound portion up to the start of the climb to Hawi...the goal here is to make a group for the return trip. My return has always been solo and I am working...and I get carried away biking too hard here. If you look at PRO and top AG watts, they are very mundane through here, although the PROs benefit from less winds.

So my goal for this specific section is to ride smooth and aero keeping my HR down and hopefully off the back of some kind of group.
  • Options
    Re-reading this thread and it has me wondering what wheels i should ride given the head/crosswinds.  I'm planning on riding my Flo 90 in the rear, but i'm debating Flo60 vs. Flo30 for the front.  I weigh about a buck 45, (hopefully a pound or two less by october) and i'm a decent bike handler, but not sure if the 60 is too deep given what i've heard about the winds.  Please share your experience and recommendations.  thanks!
  • Options
    @Mark... Last year I ran Reynolds 44/66 and was fine.... I have all the FLO's now and plan to use the 30/90 for KONA.... I can handle a 60 front with no problem in just about any conditions but I do feel it and that FLO 30 is rock solid in comparison with hardly a niggle when getting hit by a gust.....You'd be fine with either but if its a bad wind year in KONA the 30 would make you happier...
  • Options

@Tim - Thanks for the feedback!  The thought of running the 30 given the potential/likelihood for it to be a high wind year certainly feels like a prudent decision.  Also, if it turns out to be on the less windy side, i can't imagine i'm trading in that much speed by going 30 over the 60.

• Options
    Mark- I've used a 90 FC zipp front in a heavy wind year, and a 60 hed in a calm year, both years around 150 lbs. With this in mind, I'll be using a 90 front this year (but will have a good amount of time on it before race day).
  • Options
    I'm planning on running 404s in both front and rear.  I'm use to riding in the wind, living in the Windy City of Chicago.  I weight 158-160.  Any comments on that wheel combo for me?  
  • Options

Posted By <a href='http://members.endurancenation.us/ActivityFeed/tabid/61/userid/1622/Default.aspx' class='af-profile-link'>Bruce Thompson</a> on 13 Sep 2014 04:31 PM
    I'm planning on running 404s in both front and rear.  I'm use to riding in the wind, living in the Windy City of Chicago.  I weight 158-160.  Any comments on that wheel combo for me?  
    Thats what I have and Im lighter, with smaller wheels. Ive never had a problem with getting pushed around by sidewinds, but I think staying VERY low is critical.
  • Options
    I do t have data to back this up, but after looking at hundreds of "which wheels for kona" threads on ST, the 404 combination is the consensus. It's a perfect choice.
  • Options
    @ Al and Dave...thanks. 404s it is.
  • Options
    @ Al and Dave...thanks. 404s it is.
  • Options
    I'll be using my FC808s. But I'm 180 lbs and don't mind getting tossed around a bit.

I don't know how to train for that section at this point so I guess I'll just try to keep my head low and "wing it"...