Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

IM Kona Promos, Swag and Special Deals Thread

A supercool benefit of Kona is a few companies use the race as a staging ground for product placement via giveaways ... the reasoning is, as a KQer, you are not only fast, but you're also an influencer of other athletes.  So in addition to the expo swag (last year: free Zoot hats, free Zipp Visors, free Yurbuds), a couple of companies line up to set out some pretty sweet offers on useful gear.  

Currently: 

Rudy Project - Helmet and glasses for $199 (sadly, they bumped the price from $80 last year, and free in 2012).  REquires preregistration, see http://www.e-rudy.com/en/rudykona.  

XTerrra - New top-secret XTerra swimskin, Kona product launch.   $50 for KQ athletes.  Requires preregistration.   (link www.kona.xterrawetsuits.com).   

I live in perpetual FOMO, so post anything you hear about.  Having missed the handout of free Castelli t1 Race Skinsuit Tops along Ali'i last year, I want to keep a high situational awareness across the entire 2014 Race Week.       

Yours in race swag, 

Dave

Comments

• Options
    I was at the IMWI expo this weekend and stopped by the TYR booth.  I asked about swimskins and that I needed one for Kona.  The rep told to wait until I get to Kona to buy one since TYR would be introducing a new model at a great price for Kona participants.  I don't normally wait until the last few days before a race to buy and try something new, but this is intriguing.  Thoughts?
  • Options

Bruce - if you don't already have a "swim skin", I think there's no harm in waiting until you get there to buy one. The only thing you have to get used to is the idea of taking it off in T1 - something you are already familiar with using a wetsuit? And since it's sleeveless and knee length, it's pretty easy to deal with. Not like a new saddle or aerobars, or nutrition plan.

I doubt very much there is a radical new technology they are introducing - at least I hope so. I'm going to use the Tyr Torque Pro I've got hanging in my closet from two years ago. 

• Options
    @Bruce .... I bought a TYR Torque last minute at KONA last year and I was fine with it... Everybody loves them.... I dont really like mine ... They have a double stiched edge around the arms that digs into my lats and cuts me if its not on top of my tri-suit underneath... I'm buying the X-terra for 50$ listed above to try it out ... How can you go wrong for that price.... I am also buying a ROKA swimskin after falling in love with my ROKA wetsuit this summer and looking first hand at the ROKA swimskin Heather bought. The swim skin has ZERO seems or stitching around the edges... FWIW I was 3-4mn faster in the TYR swimskin on KONA raceday than I was in my blueseventy tri-suit during the swim race rehearsal the week before.
  • Options
    Dave I too missed the handouts of free Castelli t1 Race Skinsuit Tops along Ali'i last year and much more bling too. I was fortunate enough to talk with the Rudy President early in 2013 as he asked my opinion about athlete's at least paying $99.00 for the helmet and glasses/ with a contract of wearing the equip in other races throughout the year...and most of $99.00 went towards the shipping and handling of the merchandise. Keeping each apprised of freebies and discounts is an added bonus while in Kona, IMHO. I thought I was OK with not going back again someday to race/partake..............I was wrong! Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    @ Tim and Al...thanks for the input.  I'll probably wait until I get to Kona to buy one.  But I am going to check out the Xterra offer that Tim mentioned.  I forgot about it until Tim reminded me.  As a back up plan, JT is going to bring his swim skin to Kona & I could use that in a pinch since we are basically the same size.
  • Options
    First world problems of the KQ order! I am jealous, but wish you guys the BEST!!