Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

2015 IMLP Official Welcome and Introductory Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    Have never done the LP race, but many from these parts have. The conventional wisdom was that there was definitely a scrum. That said, the lake is so small, that you would literally get sucked along with the mass start for at least your first lap of the lake, so Al would be correct on not needing to be in the scrum.Though i am not sure that being 25 yards to the right of it was all that much better.

Now with the self seeding for anticipated swim speed (i will be in the back of the pack) my understanding is that it is much easier to sight the cables. I can tell you from swimming there during the EN camp in 2012, sighting the cables, produced my fastest OWS swim ever. Also remember the lake is called "mirror lake" for a reason...
  • Options
    I'm not racing this year but will be in town to cheer you guys on! About the cables - although the lake is clear, you need to be fairly close to see the cables. Once you are maybe 15 to 20 yards away you will not be able to see them. The first time I did the race I accidentally ended up on the right side of the cables (most people are on the left side), where it was very easy to swim and stay right on the cable, with relatively few people getting in the way. A few yards away, on the other side of the cable, was an incredible melee going on! The second time I did the race I did this intentionally. I still had to merge back into the crowd to get around the turn bouys - but not too bad. Now they may discourage this tactic so I'm not sure it will still work.
  • Options
    Good afternoon all -

Seems a bit odd to just now be submitting an introductory blurb to this thread - for no real reason in particular, opted to fly under the radar this season. Not really sure where to begin, as so much has gone on/taken place over the past 11 months

I apologize, in advance, if you know the saga and I am repeating myself. Here are a few notes, in no particular order:

- Have started every Ironman Lake Placid (this will be #17).
    - 2014 LP was supposed to be my 30th IM finish.
    - Had planned on dedicating #30 to the Jenks family, on behalf of their son, TJ. Very disappointed that I failed them.
    - 2014 was my first LP DNF > had a minor hypothermia-induced (think uncontrollable shivering) crash shortly after the first Keene descent. The streak is over -
    - Sought to rebound at Esprit Ironman-distance and earn #30 in early September.
    - A young whipper-snapper passed me on the right, clipped my shoulder and took me me down hard - VERY HARD!
    - When all was said/done, had a fractured scapula, fractured collarbone in 4 places (still have 3 plates & 11 screws) and 5 fractured ribs.
    - Wouldn't wish this on anyone, ever!
    - To add insult to further injury, near the end of the healing process (and right before Christmas), was in a car fender-bender.
    - Shoulder-belt did exactly what it is supposed to do: stopped me from hitting the steering wheel. In the process, 3 ribs were re-fractured.
    - To add further insult, pulled the bike down a few months ago and learned that the frame was cracked.
    - Just started riding replacement bike last week - prior to that, 90% of cycling training on an old Klein trainer bike.
    - Have had tremendous support from my wonderful partner, Sue - she has been a ROCK STAR! Thanks sweetie!
    - Have been incredibly blessed and fortunate to be part of the EN family for a few years now - INCREDIBLY blessed - THANK YOU all!
    - There is not a more amazing group of supportive Coaches, WSM's and teammates on the planet - again, THANK YOU for everything!
    - LP 2015 will be a long, catered training day, in an effort to rebuild and restore confidence in the sport. Much of that was compromised since the crash.
    - Simply want to cross the finish LP finish line w/ Dignity > I sure as hell hope and pray She (Dignity) shows up!
    - The crash has prove to be as much emotional/psychological as it was physical - and hoping to conquer a few training and racing demons on Sunday, 26 July!
    - Will also be racing IM Chattanooga as a charity fundraiser for The Crohn's and Colitis Foundation's TEAM CHALLENGE on 28 September.
    - One bright spot: I was selected to be a member of the Ironman Foundation - Newton Running Ambassador Team (The only Massachusetts athlete selected)
    - Will need to figure out a way to incorporate the EN logo within my IMF-NRA uniform, as we have to wear the IMF-NRA team kit.
    - Very much looking forward to seeing old friends/teammates - and meeting new teammates.
    - If this is your first IM: savor EVERY moment - you will be competing on one of the most beautiful courses in North America.
    - If you are a IM LP vet, PLEASE pray for better weather than we had last year!
    - Over the next few weeks, relax and enjoy the efforts of your labor.
    - Do not forget to thank your family and friends - they have been essential in helping you get where you are today!

Bring it > BOOM!
  • Options
    Woody - I'm looking forward to racing with you again, and helping you celebrate the exorcism of all those crash related demons.
  • Options

I'm looking forward to meeting you, Woody!  You are a rock star!  amazing journey this year...  tough luck!  but great comeback!   you are a tough one!

• Options
    Hi all,

IMLP 2015 will be my 3rd IM. I raced here in 2013 and mt tremblant in 2014. I am so excited to get back to LP. I love the race and the area and I am looking forward to improving on my race time. I just booked a room July 8th and 9th to complete my 2nd race rehearsal in Lake Placid. I couldn't make camp. I look forward to seeing everyone - my whole family will be there, along with some nieces and nephews we are staying right on Mirror Lake Drive!!
  • Options
    Is anyone in LP training this weekend? If so give a shout out! I plan on riding tomorrow
  • Options
    RAFFLE TIME!!! My Ironman Foundation – Newton Running Ambassador Tri Team For Good Fundraising Raffle starts today!

Tickets are:
    - 1 raffle ticket > $20
    - 3 raffle tickets > $50
    - 7 raffle tickets > $100
    - 15 raffle tickets > $200

If you have a need/want to purchase more than 15 tickets, please let me know -

The raffle will run from today until Sunday, 16 August, 2015 at 5 p.m. - when names will be drawn randomly.

Prizes include the following:

> 2 sets of two tickets to a Red Sox game at Fenway Park (one pair per winner)
    > 1 pair of Newton running shoes
    > 1 pair of Roka X-1 swim goggles
    > 2 pair of Asics running shoes (one pair per winner)
    > Marathon Sports $100 gift certificate
    > Marathon Sports gift certificate: 1 pair of shoes of your choice
    > 2 Asics gym bags with Asics gear
    > A Tom-Tom GPS watch w/ Heart Rate Monitor
    > A TYR Lake Placid Backpack
    > More prizes on the way!!

All proceeds go to Ironman Chattanooga's Ironman Foundation's charity of choice: The Chattanooga Food Bank. Donations can be made via Pay Pal (wrfreese@yahoo.com). If you do not have a Pay Pal account, send me a PM and we can make arrangements to transfer funds

Please let me know if you have any questions –

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!
  • Options

Hey Woody - I'm in for 3 tix. Go Red Sox! Will Paypal you. Thanks - c u this weekend! Pen Caldwell