Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Canada
Options

2015 IM Canada Official Welcome and Introductory Thread

Welcome to the Sign In Thread!

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow teammates, telling us a little bit about you, your goals for the race, etc!

Comments

• Options

I'll start it off.  This will be my second IM.  Did IMTX 2014.  My goals are to somehow get most of the workouts done (5 kids, wife, full-time job with call every other week) and improve my AG placing.  I don't think there is any way I can PR on this course (compared to IMTX) but AG improvement would be great.  Gotta really focus on my weight, given the climbing on this course.  

• Options

Beginning to get a bit concerned....am I the only one doing this?!  

• Options
    IM Canada is an A race for me and will be my 3rd Ironman. I'm in my 3rd season with EN and definitely attest to the Work Works and EN philosophy. Like all of us life is busy with being a husband, father of two, and a busy career with weekly work travel out of town. I do my best to fit the workouts in. Wife Kerry, Daughter Kyra (13) and Son Jack (11) will be there to cheer me on. We are staying at the Hilton, arriving Thursday departing Monday and driving up from Seattle. My good friend Bill Lowe, former EN member, will also be racing and there with his family.

I've had two great Ironman races so far and hoping from a percentile rank standpoint that I can improve upon those races although may not set time PR given the tougher course. I consider myself a somewhat strong cyclist but smart racer which played into me picking this course.

Hoping we have a big EN contingent, look forward to meeting all of you in Whistler and checking in each week as we get closer to race day.

Good luck with your training. Drop me a note.
  • Options

I just signed up today 02/14/2015. I did IMC last year and I'm labeled DNS in the results. I got pulled from the water due to severe legs cramps. I was able to get into a boat and got it stretched out and then back into the water after they did some course maintenance. As I was starting to round the last buoy I could feel my form going down the drain (fatigue).  I had time to think it out and say I was going to give it my best but it would be ok if I don't make it out of the water in time. As I was heading to the shore I felt a tap on my shoulder and was told that I was done. I looked at my watch and I'd been out there for 2 hours and 21 minutes. It was a sad ride back into shore after we picked up another athlete until the announcer said that the two of us would be given complementary entrance into next year's (2015) race. I got to shore and had to be helped out of the boat due to both legs cramping up. Felt sorry for myself for 20 minutes and went back to ride the bike course cheering others on and  did the same on the run course. Cheered for many EN'rs and friends from Portland, OR.

This will be an attempt to finish #7 IM that I started last year. I came close to a DNF in the swim due to leg cramps during my first IM at CdA, the town in which I grew up and failed swimming classes.

I'm married to a fantastic Iron Sherpa for 34 years and have four grown adult children. At different times I've had all my kids support me on the course by being there or calling in tech support even from Nebraska.  I started with EN six years ago by buying a plan since they didn't have any open spots in the Haus at the time. I've been "with" the Team since 2010. I'm looking forward in EN picking up another trophy for the TEAM event. See you out there.

• Options
    I'm in...this is #5 for me (all w/EN)....I'm a 59 yro MOP guy who enjoys the sport for the discipline it instills and fact that I can still do this stuff this late in life....I live south of Buffalo NY in ski country.....I've spent the winter in my basement training for 70.3 San Juan in a couple weeks....the 3 hr trainer rides suck but surprisingly I've managed to get them done....I love the hilly courses even though my bike splits are in the 7 hr range

I have a wife of 35 yrs who's a sprint tri gal ... she's been to world's a couple times placing top 20....2 sons who are married, both are active duty Captains in USMC & USAF ...they're both active in tri's....the older son carries a pro card and races mostly 70.3.....younger son has a couple IM's & ultra's under his belt...they must get their speed from Mom

Looking forward to meeting you guys in a few months and hopefully the weather breaking in a month so we can get outside
  • Options

Great to hear Dino.  Looking forward to training and racing with you and the others in our small group.  

• Options

I'm in!  With any luck it will be #2 on the year and IM#8.  Let's do this!

• Options

Great news Jenn!  

• Options

I’m in.  This is my
    first IM.
      Picked EN as my training plan
    on the recommendation of some friends in our local tri club.

• Options
    My first IM and my second year with EN. I was one of the unlucky few at IMLT 2014. A year of training with no medal to show.

Big year for me. Escape from Alcatraz in June. IMCA in July. Getting married in August. And IMLT in September.

Looking forward to all of it.
  • Options
    I got to drive the course last week. It dawned on me that after Canada this year and Lake Tahoe in 2013 all need is Placid and I will have done an Ironman at every North American Winter Olympic venue. I guess I like the mountains.....
  • Options
    I'm in as well. Been with EN for a couple of years now. This will be my 2nd IM but 3rd IM distance. I live in Jacksonville, FL and did The Great Floridian in Clermont last year. Doing some training there in preparation - but feeling intimidated by the elevations coming from sea level!! Looking forward to learning as much as possible from you veterans!!
  • Options
    @kate - worry not. The village at Whistler, where transition and expo are, is just about the highest point in the course. The elevation there is 2,200 feet above sea level. They use a series of chair lifts to access the peaks of the mountains at almost 8,000 feet for skiing

2,200 feet of elevation is nothing. Your body doesn't typically start to feel it until maybe 6,000 feet (YMMV). That's why Tahoe is hard. Transition is at almost 6,000 feet. Whistler will not be "easier", but elevation should be far less of a worry. The course is rolling and punchy, but there are no long sustained climbs like Tahoe either.

See you there!
  • Options
    Dino, I wonder what your definition of "no long sustained climbs" might be? Ha! My house is only 300ft above sea level and the altitude like Dino said wasn't really a problem lung-wise (just between the ears-wise) for me. Remember to fill up on water/fluids in Pemberton just incase there isn't water on the "inclinations" (like last year) before heading back to Whistler.  It is a beautiful course and the view can and will be distracting.
  • Options
    Hi everyone:

This is my second IM and first time with EN. I dd Coeur D'Alene last year with my brother, who was with EN and noticed how mentally he was better prepared. So I signed up with EN.

I am looking into getting a new cassette as I understand the gearing is critical on the bike. Getting nervous for the amount of climbing, but, I also love to climb so I guess that is a good thing!

Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Lauren
  • Options
    In! This will be IM 18 or 19, and my second time at IM Whistler in M 45-49. My race goals are a KQ and sub-10, which means finding a few minutes on the course over last year. Great location for a race and a stunning course.
  • Options
    Hi everyone:

I re-read the thread - I think there are 10 of us doing IM Canada.

Jeff (TX), Jason (WA), Jen (WA), Dave(Toronto), Jay(OR), Kate (FL), Dino(CA), Mark (OR) Kyle (MN) and myself, Lauren (CA). It sounds like a broad range of experience, age groups and states we are coming from.

After researching the race reports on Whistler, and reading some threads - I am not sure I am more educated or more nervous. Yikes - glad I love to climb!

Based on the threads - I am going to buy a new cassette to get the lower gears and save the legs for the run. Anyone else doing the same?

2 questions:

1) this is my first time with EN. I have found the Z1/Z2 paces hard (hard to go slow - especially running) - but also refreshing. Curious how this is going for all of you?
    2) how much elevation are you incorporating into your rides? Are you trying to replicate Whistler?

All for now, time to hit the pool.

Lauren Duensing
  • Options
    Hi Lauren,
    Thanks for getting us talking with one another. Now that we are in the final race prep phase perhaps we should start a thread each week (e.g. IMC Week 10)--to discuss that week's training, how we are feeling, questions, and support one another in our big weekends, big training days, race rehearsals, etc. I'm doing the race with my best friend Bill Lowe who I believe you know well. image

Yes, I think we are in store for some climbing at IMC. I've always had an 11-28 cassette in the rear but I did this year swap out the front for compact gearing (went from 53/39 to a 50/34) and while I lose some speed on the top end going down low grades it certainly does help with the climbing.

As for the running paces....there is a big difference for me between Z1 and Z2. My zone 1 is 8:49 which seems stupid slow but zone 2 is 7:32 and that is a good clip for me. If I just went out and ran without looking at my watch I would be right in between those so zone 2 which we seem to do a lot of running is a good clip for me. The two runs I try never to miss are the Tuesday speedwork with the 1 mile repeats in zone 4 and the Thursday long run though I am guilty of running faster than the zone 1 specified.

While I am not riding with the intent to replicate whistler I am ensuring I am getting a few thousand feet of gain on every long ride.

I look forward to racing with all of you!

Jason

• Options
    Jason:

Thank you for the quick reply. LOL. Did not make the connection! If I recall you got the medics on my brother in a military call to action last year after IM Coeur D'Alene! Glad to have you on my team. image

OK - wow - your Zones are really different then mine. (in terms of spreads.) I may need to plug my numbers in again. My recent HM was 1:59 which was a Z4 for me (I think) = 9 min mile. So my Z1 is 11, Z 2 abt 10:30, I think. I will look at my Zones again.

Thanks!

Talk soon.

Lauren
  • Options
    Hello Team Whistler:

Curious how everyone did yesterday with their 1 hour swim, 4 hour bike, 1 hour run.

It felt great to get this done. We are away with friends, so I was able to do an open water swim (1.5 miles), and then a 50 miles lolly gag bike (couldn't push too hard with company - but 4,000 climbing), then a 5.6 mile run, a good recovery drink, followed by a better recovery drink, chilled wine!

My questions this week:
    My feet hurt when I run. Not the shoe, but the cement. I purchased a gel insert - but it just seems past 5 miles my feet start to hurt. Any tips?

Good luck training everyone. Enjoy Sunday off!

Lauren D

• Options
    Hi Lauren--Great job getting your big day done and then some recovery drinks with friends afterwards.

I started yesterday with a good open water swim but then had a service project to attend with my son for scouts. I didn't feel well afterwards and decided to do the rest of the big day today.

I rode 77 miles and 3700 ft of climbing this morning followed with a 6+ mile run afterwards. Felt good all considering. Also spread 5 hours of beauty bark between yesterday and today....how much TSS is that worth.

As for your feet can you describe more where they hurt and when they hurt? Simple question is if your shoes need replacing, they break down quicker then they look broken down. Maybe if you can describe what your feeling it might be easier to point to a cause.
  • Options

Lauren....agree with Jason with the need for a little more info on your feet pain issue.  Jason's questions are spot-on.  Also, what shoes are you using?  How much running background do you have?  

Without knowing the answers to any of these questions, my first thought was to suggest you try Hokas.  I have never worn them (I can't get past the eyesore that they are!), but many many folks seem to love them.  I have no idea which one is which though....and I think the answers to the questions posed might be the place to start.  

FWIW...my feet hurt sometimes too, but usually only on long runs and it seems to lessen (or start later?) each week. 

• Options
    So I'm wondering what gearing you all will be using or recommend. I was thinking I should get a compact crank but have the Quarq power crank now and will lose the ability to have power if I change it out. Also, Zipps or no? Again - I am coming from flat sea level Florida! Any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated!!
  • Options
    Kate--I did switch to a compact crank and 11-28 specifically for this race. If you are limited on your front there may be an option for your rear gears that allow you to get a larger than 28 tooth big ring but I believe it requires a special derailleur called a "Y-Fly". That may be an option to preserve your power meter.

I plan to ride my Zipp 404 and rear wheel aerojacket cover regardless of weather forecast for race day but I'm 175 lbs so I don't get blown around much.
  • Options
    Kate/ Lauren - You guys might get more insight posting these questions in general training or a couple other spots. Only the 2015 IM Canada crowd is looking here. There are a lot of other that may chime in elsewhere.....
  • Options
    Thanks Jason... good to know, and good suggestion Dino - thank you!!
  • Options
    on the gearing question, I needed a compact and 28 cassette for the course.
  • Options

Posting a question I posted elsewhere, just to get feedback from those of you who have raced Whistler before or are familiar with the course.  

I'm trying to convince myself that I don't HAVE to go to an 11-32 or 12-32 cassette.  I have compact crank and 12-28 currently, with a Durace RD.  I like to "spin", but know that there is no way I'll be able to keep a high cadence on the climbs at Whistler.  BUT, I'm also nowhere near the podium or KQ so I'm not willing to spend a crapload of money.  Basically, I don't mind grinding along at a low cadence to keep my watts reasonable.  I do have PM and my W/Kg will be around 3.1-3.2 by July 26.  

We have some (short) 8-10% climbs here in the TX hill country that I ride routinely, and I can stay near 0.7-0.75 as long as I watch the Garmin and just let my cadence slow to whatever is needed.  Because I'm not pushing a lot of watts, it doesn't seem to bother my legs (whereas a cadence of 50-60 at FTP would kill me quickly).  

So, what say you?  I'm going to check with my LBS to see if I can get a 30 or 32 with my current RD.  If I can, then that is easy and will absolutely do it.  But if it requires a RD change and that is expensive, do you think it is worth it for me?

Thanks, JL

• Options
    I too have a compact crank and did use an 11-28 and just slowly spun/ground up the long hill for the last ~20 miles. The 11-28 seemed to work for me. But this year though, I think I'll NOT power down the hills (love the speed) as much as I did and drink MORE fluids before the long sustained climb back to Whistler. If it's hot with limited fluids/H2O offered on the way back it will make it a very tough day...like last year.  It will be interesting on what number you'll end with...28, 30, or a 32.