Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

2015 IM Florida Official Welcome and Introductory Thread

Welcome to the Sign In Thread!

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow teammates, telling us a little bit about you, your goals for the race, etc!

Comments

• Options
    Greetings from Miami. I am now training for my first Ironman! Wow, I hope to finish of course, but I'd also like to enjoy the race. I think this means enjoying the training. Here we go!
  • Options
    IMFL will be my first ironman as well. Based on my brief experience with EN training, I'm sure they will have me ready. I am also racing New Orleans 70.3 and Choo70.3. These will be my first HIMs. I'm 44 (45-49 AG) and this is my third triathlon season. From Baton Rouge and been with EN since November.
  • Options

Hey Gordon! glad to know a team mate already! I am 50 and I can feel this training is working already. I wish I would have started in November!!

• Options
    Yes. It will be great to have teammates at the race that know what each has been through. Looks like we are in the same boat doing our first HIM and IM this year. Have a new definition of working hard (beyond what I think I'm capable of). Good luck in the Miami Man.
  • Options
    Hello I'm Anthony. This is going to be my first IM. I have done two HIMs and am doing another this year. I am recovering from a very off year last year with injuries and knee surgery. Things are looking better already although I'm seriously worried about my HIM in 8 weeks. After that I can build some speed before starting to train for IMFL. I imagine by the time I get to the IM training I will be ready. I believe in the coaches and the plan. I just need to follow the plan. See you guys on race day. I too am 44 but 45 in triathlon years thanks to a November birthday. See you at the start and finish!

• Options

Welcome Anthony! you have a great attitude. My first Half is stil 12 or so weeks away, thank goodness! Stop by here and let us know how the training is going.

I've considered getting my lodging already. Too soon?

• Options

Thanks Gordon, yep we are!. I did half of the half last year (international distance) and it was fun. The first loop of the bike is a loop of the Homestead Speedway, (nascar) which is a hoot.

Cheers!

• Options
    I'm no Ironman expert, but I have learned it is never too early to get lodging sorted. I already have our condo selected and the down payment made. I recommend taking care of this sooner rather than later. Honestly IM and traveling is a chore in itself. It is times like these I am glad my wife was/is a professional event planner and is in the hotel business.

• Options

Ok, just made mine too! The place I was looking at a few weeks ago is nearing capacity already. Geesh!

• Options

Hey Team,

I live up the road from Stephanie in the Boca/Delray Beach area.  46yo with lots of family and work demands, but with a tri problem on the side.  Just finished Ironman New Zealand last week (tough course, tough conditions, beautiful country), so not quite ready to think too much about IMFL.  This will be IM #8 and my third go in Panama City Beach.  I absolutely love this course: glorious ocean swim, one loop on the bike through the pines, flat run past the bars, neighborhoods and park.  Accommodations are cheap and plentiful, but I would encourage you to make them now (I'm at the Shores of Panama right down the street from TA).  There are some other vets doing this race too, so this board will get very, very active.  Prepare to buckle up for that awesomeness.  As for goals, this race will be mostly for fun, as the drafting on the bike is just too rampant, and I don't want to train too hard in the heat of the South Florida summer/fall.  That said, if the weather in PCB is cooperative, I would like to take a shot at cracking 10 hours.  Again, though, the focus of this race will be all about fun. Looking forward to sharing the journey.

Mike

• Options

Hi Mike,

It's so nice to hear you love the course! I'm also at the Shores of Panama. I volunteered last year in the wind for 7 hours! I knew several people doing the race and they were all miserable...even without the swim. So yes, I hope we have good weather. You have a great attitude, and that is so nice!!

Stephanie

• Options
    Hey Team - I'm NOT doing it this year, but I've done it twice including last year's freezeroo. I'm also a "local" in that I graduated from Rutherford H.S. in Panama City and have family in town. In fact, I was swimming out there before Ironman was invented. Every once in awhile, I think about jumping in again this year, but it's only a few weeks after IM Louisville, and then I slap myself and move on. But I'll probably drop in this thread occasionally to see how it's going.
  • Options
    Mike and Paul, enjoying the mojo you guys are bringing.
  • Options

Anyone doing the camp in September? I will need to be in Berlin on the 28th as my husband is running the Berlin Marathon. So it's doubtful. image

• Options
    Would love to, but not sure I can swing it. Trying to preserve SAUs
  • Options
    Didn't know there was one, but I'll be in Panama City the weekend of Sep 19, for my 40th high school reunion. Ouch! I will bike some on the way there and the way home, leaving ahead of my wife and she picks me up enroute.
  • Options

Hey Folks, This will be my second IM, I did Louisville last summer with EN. There is still lotsa room for improvement for me. Looking forward to training, and eventually racing with all of you.

@Paul, I feel your 40th reunion pain, mine will be next year.

• Options

Hey Mark! I hope it's a good race and I hope I'm well enough to do it.

• Options
         @Stephanie, I think it's going to be an amazing race, and I hope you are well enough. My 2 cents; last year was my first full, and I followed the Intermediate IM plan verbatim and made it thru fine, the hard part for me was developing a nutrition plan, and sticking to it, and I'm sure it will be tweaked this year.
  • Options

Thanks! looks like we have a good group here. I'll be super diligent with the rehab and likely come out stronger. Nutrition isn't a problem for me so far, but I have a lot of work to do learning to burn more fat and losing a fair amount of weight. The less of me I have to haul around the course, the better off I'll be.

Agreed, I think we'll have a great race, and a lot of fun. I look forward to being with the team!

• Options
    Hello everyone! This will be my second IM as I completed CdA last year with EN. That was a brutal race for me, but I finished and believe I learned a lot. I look forward to racing Florida and improving on my time, but most importantly I want to finish and have fun! Right now I am supporting my husbands training as he is racing IM Texas in May and with 2 small boys we can't both have long training days. I'm not sure about training in the Texas hot summer/fall weather but I will make it work! I look forward to meeting everyone!
  • Options

Hey Christina!

• Options
    evening folks. This will be my second shot at FL and my 4th IM. Looking forward to this as a bit of a benchmark vs 2013. Gonna stick to 70.3 races till late summer before turning my focus to this race. Also thinking about signing up for the IMFL camp if I can get a kitchen pass.
  • Options
    I will be doing IMFL this year. Had a great race in 2013 so I am looking forward to seeing if I can do better. It will be good to see you again Jimmy!
  • Options

Welcome Brent and Jimmy! Looks like a good mix of experience and newbies. A fun group is coming together. image

• Options
    20 weeks to go! It's time to load up that Ironman plan and get serious. My knee feels a lot better. We will soon see how it does with regular running. I'm going to start out very slowly..... slow slow slow to let my knee get used to the pounding again while the pounds come off.
  • Options

20 Weeks wow! I did an oly yesterday with my longest OWS ever. .93 mile. Was terrified...but it went just fine! hamstring kinda iffy, hobbled the 10k.

• Options
    Started the 20 Week plan today for IM FL.  Looking forward to seeing how everyone progress toward their goal.  This will be my 3rd Ironman.
  • Options
    20 weeks to go for me too!  I did this race last year as my first.  Doing it again this year as my second.
  • Options

Are y'all doing the full 20 weeks of IM training? Or, do you have other races in there? I'm in the get faster plan right now and then moving to short course and then picking up IM plan in week 9. Had a bad bike crash the week before Chattanooga 70.3. So I only have one 70.3 under my belt. Wish I had a chance to race another 70.3 to improve on my IMNO 70.3 race execution. Time was good. Nutrition was a train wreck. But I'm just getting back to training.