Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

2015 IM World Championships Official Welcome and Introductory Thread

Welcome to the Sign In Thread!

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow teammates, telling us a little bit about you, your goals for the race, etc!

Comments

• Options
    3rd KONA.... This one I will RACE .... 10:47 in 2013 , 11:35 in 2014 , 2015 goal? minimum sub 10:30.... That is all!
  • Options
    My targets: 1:32/:06/6:40/:06/4:36 >> 13:00 top ten.
  • Options

1st Kona ... my targets: (1) enjoy every minute the whole week (2) respectfully pursue sub 11:00.

• Options

This is my first. It will be an honor to race with the best in the world in my AG. I'll do my best!

• Options
    I scored a lottery slot, so have been thrust into full training mode!  Am embracing everything that this race involves and cannot wait to take it all in.  Chance of a lifetime!
  • Options

Posted By <a href='http://members.endurancenation.us/ActivityFeed/tabid/61/userid/2355/Default.aspx' class='af-profile-link'>Doug Herr</a> on 21 Apr 2015 11:52 AM
    I scored a lottery slot, so have been thrust into full training mode!  Am embracing everything that this race involves and cannot wait to take it all in.  Chance of a lifetime!
    Welcome aboard; six months to go!
  • Options

Ok, I'm in.  Lake Placid was tough!  don't forget about free time in transitions!  I swear I sneaked it out on that!

And.... don't run until mile 18!

• Options

Since:

• This race is on Saturday
    • Most people will be arriving earlier than for a usual IM
    • We will each probably be in our own private Beast Mode by Thursday

I'm was going to suggest we have an EN dinner/get together on TUESDAY or WEDNESDAY evening in Kailua town. But one issue is, Coach P is having is Kona Camp that week, so do we just piggy back onto that, or have a racer's conclave as well? P will also probably organize a Breakfast for racers at Denny's Thursday or Friday morning to pep us up.

Thoughts?

• Options
    As a rookie : (1) I vote in favor of whatever the veterans recommend and decide (2) I'm in on ALL activities you guys propose!!!!

• Options
    YES to moving an EN dinner to tues or weds night and a Definite YES to moving Breakfast to Thurs....

• Options
    Wednesday please!!!! Not arriving till then
  • Options
    Agree that dinner on Tues or Wed and breakfast on Thursday sounds good!
  • Options
    Also as a first-timer, I'll defer to the veterans!
  • Options

I'm staying at the camp with the team and need a roommate to help defray costs.

It would run about 145.00 per night for 5 days for someone staying with me at this awesome Kona camp with coach Patrick et al

• Insider access and advice to all things Kona!
    • Airport pick up / drop off — as schedule allows.
    • Shuttle to race venue for key events.
    • (Ten) nights of Lodging, three catered evening dinners, and training nutrition.  (five nights)
    • Ride and Run SAG support.
    • Learning and Fun!
    • Climbing, TT-work and lots of saddle time!
  • Options
    Bruce here....a little late to the party but I'm happy to be coming back to Kona to take on the Big Island again.  She humbled me last year. Hopefully, I can improve on my time.  My brother JT and my friend Kathleen also will be coming to cheer and soak up the sun.  All three of us  finished IMMT just this past Sunday, where I got a roll down slot.  We'll be staying with the EN Camp as that was the only reasonable accomodations still available, and it will be good to be close to part of the team.  I will arrive on Saturday Oct 3, Kathleen arrives on Monday Oct 5, and JT isn't yet sure what day he will arrive. Looking forward to meeting and seeing everyone.
  • Options
    would share space with Kathleen if she needs female roommate.... it would cost less.
    also, good to see you again Bruce! Yahoo!!!
  • Options
    Just thought I would check in with everyone. First time in Kona, lottery slot winner. Finally feeling better three weeks after Boulder, hopefully training will be spot on. Just need some heat and humidity in the midwest. Will be in Kona on the 3rd. A lot of family and friends will be on the island with me so not sure I will make it to the dinner. Hopefully I will be able to touch base with the team sometime that week.
  • Options
    Looking forward to meet all those I have not yet had the pleasure!! ALOHA!!
  • Options
    NEED A FAVOR: runned out of MISSION ANTI CHAF and rather than taking the risk of not finding it in Kona I was hoping someone would be kind enough to allow me to purchase on line and send to your home address to hand carry for me. If possible please PM me. Thanks. 4 weeks to go!!! STAY HEALTHY EVERYBODY!!I
  • Options
    ATTENTION FOLKS! If you have time and want to represent EN, From WTC: We are shooting a commercial for IRONMAN Merchandise. If you plan on being in Kona on the 2nd thru the 4th of October and are interested in being in the commercial please email me (do NOT facebook message me please). If you have a recent photo please send that along. We need 3 men and 3 women - you will need your bike, helmet etc. This is a paid gig although I don't think its a ton of money. This will be a two day shoot. Please email me at Elizabeth.kollar@ironman.com.
  • Options
    Little late to the party as well. Qualified in Maastricht on August 2nd (6th in my AG and grabbed the final slot).

2nd time Kona (did it last year as well in 10:28). Looking for a better performance this year as I certainly improved on my bike volume (pretty much non-existent last year). Arriving on Sunday 4th with the whole family and will be attending the team dinner on Wednesday evening! See you guys soon.

Good luck with the tapering ...
  • Options
    Question about Ho'ala IRONMAN Training Swim: is there a location at registration to store personal belongings during the swim?
  • Options

Juan, I can;t recall if there was a formal drop-off for stuff. But the standard routine for swims in the bay involves people just leaving their bag, etc, in or near a small set of wooden cubby holes, like a large version of an old time hotel's place to keep guests message and keys. In all my swims there, I've never heard of anyone having trouble with theft. People even leaves bikes unlocked there.

I am not doing that swim this year. Last year I did it for the first and only time, and got kinda depressed at how slow I went (15 minutes slower than I did on race day). There's really nothing special about doing the event that Saturday - people are swimming along the small buoys which mark the course every morning in the final two weeks before the race. But, seeing as its your first time there, it may be a good orientation to the swim. Although there are a LOT fewer lifeguards and swimmers than there will be on race day, and the bay near the pier is filled with boats which won't be there for the real event, you still feel a part of something that is organized.

• Options
    Pretty sure the Ho'ala swim provides drop bags... IMO its well worth the 30$ or whatever since its chipped.... I've done it both years swimming 1:19 and 1:12 in practice and then swimming 1:15 and 1:16 in the races.... Dammit I'm gonna go 1:10 this year !
  • Options
    If anyone would like to come to a Swim with the Manta rays and snorkel ... also can scuba... on Tuesday, let me know. there is room for three more. starts at around 3;30 PM so plenty of time for athlete sign in right before. Kona Honu is the company