Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Julie P's Coach??s Thread

I just finished Nov OS, kind of a pitiful finish due to catching the nasty cold that's going around, plus travel and work stuff.  Anyhow... just started week 15 of the Balanced Marathon plan leading up to Boston (and Big Sur 6 days later as part of Boston 2 Big Sur.)  Question is whether I should somewhat modify this week's (and maybe next week's running) due to last two weeks of very intermittent training and 90 minute long runs in OS (although I did a 12 miler no problem 3 weeks ago.)  fyi, this week's long run in Marathon plan is 16 miles. 

Thanks for any tips, plus... anything extra to add to prepare for Big Sur??  btw, these are both NOT A races, really just for "fun" - 3rd Boston, 2nd Big Sur, and 1st Boston 2 Big Sur!

Comments

• Options
    JP - I'd only modify the long stuff to be closer to 90 minutes -- just get the rhythm of the first week (you can split that long run too...1:10 in the AM and 1:10 in the PM.

I think you can train for one but do both as long as you really recover like a rockstar. That said, any running you can do one good rolling hills, especially in the second half of your longer runs will be great for you in terms of both races.

Can you share any input / race reports on your previous races at both sites? That might help...
  • Options
    1st Boston - 2008 - 3:57 - Couldn't really start training and ramping up miles til Feb due to injury. Longest run was 13.1 hilly tough trail miles around Lake Chabot - did that a couple times, and ran Boston with a friend "for fun". We had a blast and I don't recall it being that bad at all. Hardest thing I remember was holding back those first 16 miles, then hobbling around afterwards on bad blisters!

2nd Boston - 2012 (The Hot Year) - 4:08 - I totally disrespected the heat and paid poorly for it after the first half. It was kind of a death march the 2nd half; thank goodness for the spectators with ice!

1st Big Sur - was also my first marathon... a long, long time ago - ~20 years ago? Remember it being beautiful and the road being very canted, with achy ankle at end. I *think* my time was ~4:00.

Biggest marathon post recovery issue always seemed to be blisters!

Hope this info helps!

Thanks!
    Julie
  • Options
    Julie, thanks for the info. I'd keep you on the regular marathon plan, but I would suggest you do a few weekends of double runs...like a proper long run on Sat followed by an easy 60-90 minute effort on Sunday (30-45" slower PER MILE than race pace)...it's time on your legs, and it's helpful (just don't over do it).

Per your notes, consistency is key...the race is looming so all the workouts count right now...2015 is the year of RESPECT for the marathon distance! image
  • Options
    Hi CoachP, general question on the Thursday long run in my current 1/2 IM plan (and even some shorter runs that seem to start right off in MP)... eg, this week is 120' broken up by: MS: 90' @ Z2/MP/Steady, 20' @ z3/HMP/ModHard, 10' final push at best possible effort. Does this mean no warm-up and just start at MP? I would find that really hard to do! Also, you seem to be a fan of breaking up the long run, which might work really well for me, since some weeks it might be really hard to find 2+ hours mid-work week. Would Thu night/Fri am be a good plan, and then would I do a progressive run in both slots (eg, for this week - 45/10/5?)
    Thanks much!
  • Options
    Julie, yes to Thu PM / Fri AM....I would go 2 x 70 minutes as 15' WU, 45' in Z2, 10' Best effort.
  • Options
    Another f/u to this question CoachP, what about those run workouts that seem to have no warm-up and start right up with MP? Is there a reason for that? Should I be striving to hit that? I typically need a nice, long warm-up.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    That's just me...you know YOU best, so do the warm up + MP for the duration listed (don't add a 20' WU and THEN run the rest!).
  • Options
    Hey CoachP, jumping into week 8/20 IM Full plan after Vineman yesterday. How should I modify this week to accommodate some recovery? Also, will be spending a long weekend Thu-Sun up in Tahoe with family and want to be more mommy/wife than triathlete, so not sure I'll get the long rides in. Will definitely run and swim! Thanks!
  • Options
    Julie, we have great advice in the Self Coaching Guide in the wiki, worth a read. Quickly I'd say that your only goal this week is to really stay active so that you don't get super tight. Long rides aren't a requirement this week but it would be nice to get in an easy ride of 90' say on Wed? You can stay active like 30' to 45' a day...and maybe even work in some yoga stuff, etc. I know being "mommy" doesn't mean you'll spend all day in a spa...so just stay loose and enjoy it!
  • Options
    Hi CoachP, first off... I am listening and reading all the cool stuff coming in 2016... so exciting!!! I love that you and Rich (and all of us!) are always learning and modifying and passing it on!

Anyhow... I'm in week 15 of IM plan for IM COZ (in a time warp, thanks to postponement of IM MD and not being able to race the 10/17 date). As camp week, which I've never been able to execute due to work stuff, I think I'll be able to get out of work tomorrow (Thu) but not Friday due to meetings. It will still be beneficial to ride 100+ tomorrow, plus as much as I can on Sat too, right? How else would you modify the Thu - Sun workouts? Rich had already said a few weeks back in my macro topic not to worry about a specific race rehearsal this week per se (since I've got 2 in the bank already for MD), but just to ride my fanny off. Just looking for specific guidance for this weekend. Thanks!
  • Options
    Yes to a long ride tomorrow (if you can swim first, bonus, then ride a bit shorter), friday work...Saturday is another long ride session (5 hours max), Sunday is the long run. Monday is OFF.

Nothing sexy here, just really steady riding and GREAT fueling!

Hope your weather is good!

P
  • Options
    Guess it's been a while since I used the micro forum!  :o 
    2 questions, and I assume I ask them here vs Elite EN forum, especially #1:

1 - when you say in the Elite EN forum guidance, do the split run Thursday (which I've done a couple times and LOVED it, especially for a working stiff!) should I do the split EVEN if in the last couple weeks of the 1/2 IM, it has changed back to 2 hour straight run, eg, this week - RR 1/2 IM run
    MS: 2 hours or 11 to 13 miles (whichever comes first) done as 30%-60%-10%. 
    • 30% (40 minutes OR 4 miles) at Zone 2 PLUS 30" per mile.
    • 60% (1 hour OR 5 to 7 miles) at Zone 2.
    • 10% (15 minutes OR 2 miles) at Zone 3 / HMP / Mod-Hard (or as close as possible).

If so, how should I structure each of the splits?

2 - I'm intrigued by IM Texas, and, like all other IM athletes, getting bombarded by IM to register.  I've never done it, but... my daughter's last year of college (in Dallas) is next year; Tom Glynn (from my 'hood) of course does it every year; and it has a boatload of Kona slots, but... it's pretty close to IM AZ, and I'm typically NOT a very good early spring IM-distance workout gal.  Any chance of this being a team race?  That would be another plus, for sure!

Going to the podiatrist tomorrow; will let you know what I learn, and ... have been in the pool twice since your note... yeah ME!!  :)

• Options
    edited June 30, 2017 2:31AM
     Yes you can still split that run. The first one in the morning we have most of that Zone 2 set in it and save the "more tempo" for Later in the day Whem we wamt to challenge the steady run. Both of the choir great decision. I will get it as close to a 50-50 break if you can.

Texas is interesting but can be mind numbing. And requires excellent nutrion. Talk to Mr. Glynn about his experiences there, I am sure he will freely share them!

standing by for your podiatrist update!
  • Options
    hey there, can you clarify your comments for tomorrow's split run... it kinda looks like your reply got mixed up with communication to somebody else or... some really bad voice to text translation! :)  
  • Options
    @Julie Pfeifle done ^above^ sorry for the mix up!!
  • Options
    Hey CoachP, just loaded up the Aquabike plan, with 5 weeks to ITU long course, and also, from looking at your suggested modifications in the Elite forum thread, wondered if I should add some swims.  You've only got me down for 1, which is AOK for this at the core runner/duathlete :), but... I think you mean for me to do more!  Also, Saturday is out as I'm captaining a bike aid station up at IM Santa Rosa, so love to hear any suggested modifications you have for me to accomodate that.  fyi... planning the monster, get your bike butt on 200 miler week the following week.  

And if, by chance, you've looked at my strava/tp.com files for Donner Lake, they're (I was) a mess.  I almost did not start as I felt like kaka starting the prior night; didn't sleep past midnight; had a splitting headache; and couldn't eat anything race morning - hoping it was altitude and not nerves (that would be pitiful after 20+ years of racing!)  My friends basically dragged me down to the swim and said just start the swim and see how you feel.  I did, felt better, so ponied on.  Then, and this is THE reason I was meant to race that day, I was following a fellow racer screaming 35mph down an awesome descent when a deer came out of the woods and basically t-boned her.  It was awful; I'll never forget the crashing noise.  She and the bike basically catapulted into the woods. I stopped of course. She was unconscious and very bloodied, but finally started to move.  It took about 30 minutes to flag someone down and get EMTs there.  She was able to stand up miraculously, but her brain took a serious rattling, as she asked me ~10 times what happened.  Needless to say, I rode very tentatively after that, ran the first 6 miles of the 1/2 mary, then called it a day.  So, that is my Donner Lake race report; it's not about me, but about being there for someone else.
  • Options
    @Julie Pfeifle  .... being in recovery mode since my crash at IMTX I shuttered reading this. It's frightening. The Donner EMT's should have been there much faster. That athlete had to have had a concussion. I'm glad you are OK and was her Tri Angel. I'v done that race and the descent is brutal, plus, since the snow the roads are awful.  

• Options
    @Sheila Leard, yes, it was awful. And it did feel like it took forever for the EMTs to arrive; so scary!  I'm trying to figure out who she is so I can get an update. Wow--sorry to hear you crashed at IMTX!  Hope I meet you this weekend up at SR!
  • Options
    @Julie Pfeifle - sorry this took so long...I was catching up post Placid!!!

So glad you were there in Donner Lake...so scary, but you did the right thing. THANK YOU TRI ANGEL!!!!  o:)

This week should be more run focus...so make sure you get the runs in (even a short one on Sat pre "work" would work). Don't forget you'll be on your feet all day for Saturday so you'll likely be pretty darn tired!!!!

Make sure everyone opens those Gatorade Bottles and that they hold them by the top, palm down, and not by balancing them on their palm.  ;)

I updated the basic week in your Elite Thread and we should be all set now. My bad! 

Pictures please and make sure you are volunteering under EN as I think we earn points for that!!!!
  • Options
    Hey CoachP, what long run goals do you think I should aim for over the next 2 weeks, and split or not?  4 weeks to go before Penticton - 18 mile run off a 75 mile bike / 3k swim.  Goal is do no harm but be mentally confident.  Donner Lake tri and running Santa Rosa aid station have done me no favors in this regard! 
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick??  Still trying to figure out best way and where to ask questions!  Guess I should tag you to make sure you get an alert that a question is even asked??  Hope you're staying somewhat sane!
  • Options
    @Julie Pfeifle -  no, you put this in the right place, it's my fault. I've set myself a reminder to go back and look at your conversation in the elite space before answering you and I simply dropped the ball. Too much travel/work/training going on here on my end! I checked this for him almost daily except when I'm on vacation so I see all the messages.  :(

Yes to the split run and Ideally  we have you up to about a two hour run time combined. More important than the actual distance is steady pacing and good nutrition. We want you in a position of strength at mile 12 to begin to put mental pressure on the competition. 

You have done a lot of good work on the bike in the swim so the run is just a complementary piece. Let me know what you think!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick - might be too late to get an answer to this for this weekend but would love your input for next weekend. I'll be in Texas next weekend - 9/22-9/24 - for Parents Weekend, so no cycling and likely (knowing me), no swimming. But I can run!!  Wanted your advice on how to modify stuff this weekend thru next. I'm thinking lotsa riding this weekend, rather than plan's day off Sunday. Hubby is in golf tourney all weekend and a friend doing Los Cabos is riding 80 mile Sat and a 2-3 hr ride Sunday. I was also going to look for a 1/2 mary in Dallas or at least do lotsa running while there. Thoughts?
  • Options
    Update - I did find what looks like a nice 1/2 mary in Plano, TX on Sunday - part of a balloon festival!
  • Options
    @Julie Pfeifle - you are making the most of this weekend....I love it! 
    • Friday is OFF / Travel. 
    • I vote that you do the long ride on Sat, but not hard. Just suck wheels and try to keep it "athletic casual" if you will. 
    • Then do the Half on Sunday...and you are done!
    You make this stuff easy!!!

:smile:

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Oops... I can see now that my question might have been a little confusing and thus, "easy"... especially readingit this week. :)  So, the riding options were for last weekend, which I did - 76 on Sat and 40ish on Sun. The question for this week (from above) is how to modify workouts this week / weekend knowing I'll be without a bike in TX Fri-Sun. 
  • Options
    @Julie Pfeifle -  I think the only confusing part about your question is that I am the one who’s answering it! So sorry. For some reason I thought you had already organized training workouts for the week and you were away, not the weekend before the weekend you were away.

Congratulations to you on putting together a really busy weekend last week. As for this week and, if you can still schedule the half marathon, that would be fantastic and a great aanchor to the week. 

With the half marathon the schedule, this would mean two shorter runs on Friday and Saturday. Friday would be a 40 minute run with some strides at the end, mostly TRP pace. Saturday will be a short 30 minute run just to stay in this followed by some stretching and core. Then Sunday is Race day. 

If the half marathon is not on the schedule, then Friday is still that shorter run. Saturday and Sunday then aren’t equal long runs. Something in the 75 to 90 minute range on bought these. This will be a great back to back session posting it on fitness. It will also make room for you to do more cycling next week as you step away from the run. 

You choose which of those options above works for you. As for next week, I would like to see you bike quality session on Tuesday and Thursday, moving the interval run to Wednesday. Saturday is the long ride as planned with the brick, Sunday is a 90 minute ABP session, followed by a 90 minute run (this is your long run of the week).

This “bike – heavy“ week will be the perfect counterpoint to all the running you doing this week. I hope that makes sense! 
  • Options
    Thanks @Coach Patrick!  Looking forward to practicing heat racing at the Plano Hot Air Balloon Festival 1/2 mary and then doubling down on the bike next weekend!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick , I have returned home from Colorado and am resuming some semblance of training!  Thank goodness IMTX is 5 months away!  As we discussed a few weeks ago, I am in the midst of a couple weeks of moving the legs everyday - 30' of run/walking on evens, and walking on odds.  Just wanted to let you  know so you can prescribe the next "re-entry phase". :)  And btw, HUGE kudos for Los Cabos... that was kinda under the radar, eh?  I had a lot of good buddies down there racing too; sounded like it was a tough race... never know it from your time, tho! Such a beast!! 
This discussion has been closed.