Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Julie P's Coach??s Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    @Julie Pfeifle - Thank you so much for the kind words! It was definitely a great day, everything seemed to fall into place.

I will take a look at your training log over the weekend and get you set up with something for next week. On words!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick, don’t put too much thought into my next block of training as am currently barely able to walk. :( If not one thing, it’s another!!  So... this would explain my lack of workouts on strava. Very frustrating!!  Guess I️ do need to know at what date if I’m still struggling to get consistent training in should I️ nix IM TX??
  • Options
    @Julie Pfeifle - Aargh. What a pain in the butt. If you aren’t healthy by January 1 then you have a hard decision to make. If there’s anything that I or the team can do to help you in the meantime, please let us know!
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

Pretty much starting at ground 0, but with much better core strength (from 5 months off due to life & a herniated disc) 

Your Races

• Ironman Maryland (2018-09-29) #IMMD_18 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page

Last updated by Coach on  03/22/2018

• On 3/19/2018 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 6/24/2018 (Do the L1 Workouts)
    • On 6/25/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 9/29/2018 (L1 / L2 Workouts)
    • On 9/30/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 10/27/2018
    • On 10/28/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/24/2018
    •  

Coach Notes

Julie, I can't tell you how happy I am to hear from you. A herniated disc is NO JOKE and the return isn't simple, fun or straightforward. KUDOS to you!!!  :blush: 

^^That said^^ I want to make super duper sure we get you back on the right path. So my thoughts are that you do the OutSeason Plan L1 workouts (beginner) making sure to take Monday / Friday off for recovery and core. 

I don't really want any running intensity at all...our goal will be to get you back to a good baseline level of running using the Run Durability Program (RDP) approach that's built into the OutSeason®. 

You can load that plan when you are ready and start nice and slow. And if you want to talk ask you get started, please reach out! https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hey CoachP, long time no post! But I did just submit a race plan for 2019!! and before you get to that, I hope you see this note!! Coz, I'd like your thoughts on what that A race would be. I put in there IM Maryland, as well as Long Course Worlds in Spain in early May. But... a friend just threw out the idea of IM Mont Tremblant. I've heard great things about IM MT. What do you think about timing of MT vs MD in relation to the 3/4 IM distance & timing of LC Worlds? I picked MD (but haven't registered yet) coz I feel like I'm a flat course athlete (I'm a weak hill climber), and coz I'm from MD, have actually raced the course long ago at Eagleman, and have registered twice before but life circumstances got in the way. OTOH, I've heard great stuff about MT and it's certainly more of a destination race. Wonder which is better for a KQ?? Love your thoughts on this! Thanks!!

• Options

@Julie Pfeifle - I think I missed this email before I did your season, but it’s OK. If it all works backwards from a KQ effort, that I suggest you use this website to look at your age group are both events. I think there is an even a “compare“ button that you can check that will stack the two races next to each other by age Group. www.obstri.com

Mantra Blanc is definitely a Destiination rice and it’s beautiful. But yes, there are hills on both the bike and the run. I personally like hills, even when I’m not strong. I like the idea of having periods of recovery after work and coasting downhill weather cycling or running gives me that opportunity.

Bud going up the hill does requires strength and work. So maybe take a look at the results and see what you think. Another key difference is that IMMT will be about a month earlier on the schedule. Certainly doable, but it does compress your season a little bit. It would effectively qualify you for cold of the season versus Maryland qualifying you for 2020.

This discussion has been closed.