Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Anyone Looking for IMLP Lodging?

I'm not racing Lake Placid this year but I'd like to come up and hang out for the team dinner and get a couple big days of training in and volunteer for the race as well.  However, I'm not going to do that unless I can stay there at a "reasonable" price.

I've found a couple places in the village for between $400-$550 per night.  4 bedrooms, 3-4 bathrooms.  Very convenient locations if you are racing, volunteering, or training.

I know of at least 2 other people looking for lodging and just wondering if there is anyone else out there still looking for a place to stay.  If we could get 4-6 people to go in together the cost wouldn't be too bad.

Let me know if you're looking or if you know someone that's looking.  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    By the way...I stayed in a house with teammates Steve West and Carlos Sanchez for the race last year. They can vouch that I'm relatively easy to get along with.
  • Options
    I am going to be volunteering and want to train as well, count me in if you are looking for people to share the cost.
  • Options
    As long as I don't have to race against Doug Johnson then I need lodging too! Count me in for whatever you find
  • Options
    Carlos and Mariah, you're in! Anyone else? I'll keep you posted about what I find in LP.

Mariah, the only thing you'll have to race me for is the remote control, or to the refrigerator to raid it for food after a long training day!
  • Options
    Steve and I are looking for accommodations. is there still room?
  • Options
    Brenda, that would be awesome! There's definitely room. Ed Croucher is looking into a couple properties right now. I will keep this thread updated.
  • Options
    Xcellent. One less thing to think about now. Phew.
  • Options
    Hi Doug - my sister and I would also be interested if you still have room. We'll also be riding the course and volunteering (on the bike course in Wilmington - for a speed pass).
  • Options
    Sue, that would be great. The last few weeks have been crazy for me and I haven't made a serious search effort. I'm going to really start looking next week for some housing and I will come back and update this thread with what I'm finding.
  • Options
    I'll take a look ax well - sounds like 4-5 bedrooms depending on the set-up.
  • Options
    I emailed 6 rentals this morning and I’ve gotten 1 response.  The owner replied that they require a 1 week reservation as do many of the property owners in Lake Placid for Ironman weekend.  In speaking to Ed Croucher that has been his experience as well.  I will let you know what I hear from the other owners if it is any different.

It appears that we have 9 to 10 people interested in lodging.  With that many people the per person cost may not be too bad if our only option is to rent for 1 week.  What are your thoughts?

I have been searching the following websites:

Airbnb.com

Vrbo.com

Homeaway.com

I guess the last 2 sites are owned by the same company so I don’t expect to find anything different between them.  Does anyone have any suggestions for other sites to search?

Let me know if you find anything or have any ideas or suggestions.  Thanks.
  • Options
    Not sure if this is associated with any you listed but try here too

http://www.adkbyowner.com/
  • Options
    Thank you Steve, I'll check that out.
  • Options
    I've sent a few emails as well - could be the same ones! They didn't indicate a 7 day minimum. I'll let you know what they say.

It seems like we need 6 beds? Combination of king/queen? Anyone opposed to twins? and sharing a room?
  • Options

For those with the budget,

I have one room at the High Peaks Resort (host hotel) with two queen beds checking in on 7/25 Thursday checking out on Monday if there are any takers to share the room/cost.

I do not snore and prefer the same.....

text me if interested: 214-449-8391

SS

• Options
    I do not object to anything.
  • Options
    I'll sleep on a couch or an air mattress if need be. I'm only there for training and volunteering. I am willing to share a bedroom as well.

@Sue, I sent emails asking about availability on Thursday - Monday. The responses from every email I sent stated that they required a 1 week reservation for ironman. The prices I was quoted for those properties were in the 4000 dollar range for a week. With 8 - 10 people that's $400 to $500. Is that in the ballpark for what people are willing/want to pay?
  • Options
    Found one - somewhat pricey but would hold loads of people! I asked if it was available from Thursday to Monday and it is - no week long minimum.

http://www.vrbo.com/500628?utm_campaign=VRBO_TRV_INQ_HASC_replyAvailable_PPS&utm_content=propid_text_o_lprop&utm_term=20150421&utm_source=SYS&utm_medium=email

Would need to confirm how many people are in to see if the price is reasonable ... ($600 per night but it has 7 bedrooms).
  • Options
    That's interesting Sue. I swear that's one of the places I contacted a couple weeks ago and said I needed to reserve it for a week. 4 nights = $2400 + some fees. I think we have 8-10 people so somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 per person? I would have no problem spending that amount. The place looks really nice.
  • Options
    $300 a night or $300 per person for the entire stay? We would not be coming in until Friday and leaving Monday.
  • Options
    I was just doing some rough, quick math. It appears that if everyone who has expressed interest followed through, and we rented the place Sue provided the link for, the cost would be in the neighborhood of $300 per person for the entire stay.
  • Options
    I'm in, even if we are only there Fri, Sat, Sun leaving Monday.
  • Options
    Awesome. I just got off the phone with Ed Croucher. He said him and his wife like it and would go in on it. I think we should do it.
  • Options
    I am in as well
  • Options
    Hmmm - The old "bait and switch" tactic may be operating here!

Here's the reply I received when I went to confirm that we were interested:
    Me: Hi Mea - yes, we'd like to book your property from July 23-27. Can you confirm the price and next steps. Thanks, Sue Chapman.
    Property Owner: Hi Sue! The only property we have left for this time period is our newest one called poppa bears den. It is 1 mile from the village. The minimum stay is 5 nights. Or 4500. It will sleep 18-20 people. Would you like pics ?
    Me: Hi Mea - I'm confused - is this property #500628 not available (this is the one I had inquired about) for July 23-27 (coming in on Thursday the 27th and departing on Monday the 27th - 4 nights)? VBRO site showed a price of $600/night.
    Property Owner: We have 4 homes in Lake Placid. This is Iron Man week so it's been crazy.. WE had a cancellation in one of our homes. Azure lodge is not open for your dates, but one of our others is. Would you like information on that one? It will sleep 18-20 and is only 1 mile away from the village. Please let me know, as I will help you any way that I can.

That's really pushing the price ... unless we can get more people? I'm happy to pursue if we at least want to check it out.
  • Options
    Received an email from Ed Croucher today. He advised me that he had contacted the same owner Sue did about the same property. he received a similar response and was offered the house in the link below for 4 nights at $3200 + fees. This would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 per person. the house isn't quite in the village.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/recently_sold/house,land_type/64995423_zpid/6-_beds/days_sort/44.302752,-73.932366,44.270311,-74.016137_rect/13_zm/?view=map

what do you think? can anyone think of anything else?
  • Options
    At this point there are not that many options left
  • Options
    I can swing $400 for race weekend. Ed and his wife are in. Sounds like Carlos is in. That's 4 people.

Anyone else? Yes? No?
  • Options
    Mariah is in. That's 5 people.