Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

2015 Ironman Wisconsin Training Camp

Team Moo,

My Ironman Wisconsin training camp is officially open for registration, so I wanted to create this thread to tell you more about the camp and highlight who's registered to join us in Madison in July.

Dates: Thurs, July 30th through Sunday, August 2nd

Camp HQ: Clarion Suites at the Alliant Center

Camp Includes:

• 3 nights double occupancy lodging at the Clarion
  • Breakfast at the buffet each day.
  • SAG on the bike course and training food (Gatorade Endurance and whatever else IM will have on the course will be provided for you during the camp)
  • All instruction, of course
  • Camp and sponsor schwag.

The camp schedule follows a progressive format, with each day building towards the next, with the goal of having you exit the camp several years and wasted races up the Ironman racing and training curve, with special attention paid to the application of these skills to every inch of your Ironman course. 

1. First, we teach you how to race Ironman in general and then introduce you to the application of these topics to the Ironman Wisconsin bike course specifically. You've heard me say many times that the IMWI bike course is the most challenging on the north American IM circuit, because it so technical -- you're never doing one thing for more than 2-3' at a time. Having intimate knowledge of the bike course is HUGE advantage on race day. 
  2. Next, you go out on the course and apply ^this^ knowledge to the bike course.
  3. Then we debrief the ride, as a group. Now that you've seen the course we can talk about this hill, that corner, etc. 
  4. Next we discuss "advanced" race execution topics: gearing, bike setup, bike fit, aerodynamics, pacing, nutrition, and hydration strategies for the swim, bike, and run.
  5. Then you go back out on Saturday to practice and refine these skills again. 
  6. We meet Saturday evening for another debrief, to answer more questions, and then discuss Phd/Masters level topics of racing with power, pace, and Ironman training for the AG athlete, to get you thinking right about '16. 
  7. Finally, you'll run one loop of the run course on Sunday, with all of ^this^ in your head.

These days, a training camp run by another coach is usually nothing more than lots of miles, maybe some discussion, and not much else. And there are often informal training camps organized by fellow athletes on Facebook, etc, that are really nothing more than a large group of people meeting in a parking lot to go for a ride, and then maybe confusing the hell out of each other by having dinner and talking about race execution topics that they really know nothing about. 

Our Endurance Nation training camps are over-the-top educational events, with RorP bringing significant game to the task of teaching you how to race and train for Ironman triathlons effectively. They are also an unmatched opportunity to meet and network with your TeamEN teammates who will be racing Ironman Wisconsin with you, and so are probably the best real-world compliment to your Endurance Nation experience. In fact, we would like nothing more than to fill these camps with 100% TeamEN members vs the general public.

My Ironman Wisconsin Experience

I've raced the event three times, with a PR and KQ of 10:05 in 2002. I've been at the race every year of the event, with the exception of crazy-hot 2005, and 2015 will be my 11th training camp on the IMWI course. Finally, I'm racing IMWI this year with you. In short, I'm intimately familiar with every inch of this race and you will not find a more education and comprehensive training camp experience on the IMWI course. 

Go here for the complete camp schedule and registration details

Thanks for reading and I hope you choose to join me in Madison for this camp!

The In List

1 Scott  Giljum
2 Eric Ensminger

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the great info, Coach Rich. I am registering for the camp. Already on our family calendar. Can't wait!!
  • Options

In again!  

• Options
    I will certainly be registering! Can't wait!
  • Options

Posted By Jeremy Behler on 24 Mar 2015 09:51 PM

In again!  

I plan to fly out on Wed so I can 3 very solid rides in on the course, Thurs, Fri, Sat. You're welcome to join me. 

• Options
    I will be registering before the end of April. I am DEFINITELY in!
    Rich - I may drive in Wednesday and ride Thursday as well. Let me know if that ends up being your plan.
  • Options

Posted By Lindsay Blumenshein on 25 Mar 2015 09:20 AM

Awesome! This is a great camp, I've got the course dialed in. And since you live in Chicago, please feel free to pass this on to others you may know who are racing. 

Over the years this camp has begun to go sorta head to head with some other training camps organized by clubs, FB groups, etc. However, the knowledge you and your friends would gain from this camp is off the charts more than they'll get with any other group. 

• Options

Posted By Kori Martini on 25 Mar 2015 12:42 PM

I will be registering before the end of April. I am DEFINITELY in!

Rich - I may drive in Wednesday and ride Thursday as well. Let me know if that ends up being your plan.

Yes, that's my plan for now, unless something changes. Fly in Wed, ride the full course Thurs, Fri, then maybe just the loop(s) on Saturday. A function of if I can hook up SAG for the camp, which I've been doing myself the last few years. 

Maybe you can board the kids and Eric can come? 

• Options
    I was planning to be up in Madison that weekend regardless, although the family is joining me on Friday and I'll be staying at a different hotel...near Camp Randall.

Ride Thursday too? Sounds awesome...I'm in if I can take that much time off work. The prior week I'll have been on vacation (and hopefully riding a lot), so that means on 3 days at work before driving up...questionable but the thought of doing 300 miles in 3 days sounds like too much to pass up!!
  • Options

R - did I maintain my roommate rights?

• Options

Posted By Coach Rich on 25 Mar 2015 12:47 PM

Awesome! This is a great camp, I've got the course dialed in. And since you live in Chicago, please feel free to pass this on to others you may know who are racing. 

Over the years this camp has begun to go sorta head to head with some other training camps organized by clubs, FB groups, etc. However, the knowledge you and your friends would gain from this camp is off the charts more than they'll get with any other group. 

True That! When I raced IMWI last year, I knew this course because of this camp. If I were racing this year, I would be there again -> I will be at camp in 2016 when I return to IMWI to race. In the mean time I will be @ IMWI 2015 to support you all as race captain.

• Options
    I'm gonna be signing up as well!! I gotta admit though, I am wondering if my body (ie butt and quads) will hold up for that second day of 112 on the MOO bike loop. Hope there are some super-ultra double squirrel secrets to recover from that beating.
  • Options

Posted By Mike Brand on 25 Mar 2015 02:08 PM

Posted By Coach Rich on 25 Mar 2015 12:47 PM

True That! When I raced IMWI last year, I knew this course because of this camp. If I were racing this year, I would be there again -> I will be at camp in 2016 when I return to IMWI to race. In the mean time I will be @ IMWI 2015 to support you all as race captain.

Hey Mike, thanks for the props and thanks for serving as Race Captain!

• Options

Posted By Ed Shimon on 26 Mar 2015 12:55 AM

I'm gonna be signing up as well!! I gotta admit though, I am wondering if my body (ie butt and quads) will hold up for that second day of 112 on the MOO bike loop. Hope there are some super-ultra double squirrel secrets to recover from that beating.

Most of us do 2x the Loops on Saturday. The Stick, out and back, is relatively easy to figure out so a good idea to only do it once, on Friday. Then on Saturday many of the campers drive out to Verona and start the ride from there so they can focus their attention on the 40mi loop, riding it 2x. 

• Options

I am in for riding Thursday too.  I can be there about 9 am.  Looking forward to a very challenging weekend of prep work.

• Options
    Coach Rich, looking forward to attending the camp. Currently want to see how post injury leg holds up before signing up however. Do you cap the amout of people who can attend?
  • Options

Posted By Dawn Cass on 28 Mar 2015 09:51 PM

Coach Rich, looking forward to attending the camp. Currently want to see how post injury leg holds up before signing up however. Do you cap the amout of people who can attend?

In the past I've had 30+ people at this camp so we're not in any danger of closing the camp

• Options
    Anyone on the fence... you should go. Great to ride the Wisconsin course a few times to get familiar with it. That's just so valuable for this race.

I'm probably not going to make the camp (again) this year due to USA Youth triathlon nationals being that weekend, but if I could, I definitely would. Fun times and a great weekend even if (like me) you're not racing Wisconsin.
  • Options
    Hey Rich and everyone - happy to help as I can - info, Madison info, SAG, kayak for Sunday? Just let me know as we get closer...

Mary Larson will help out as well!
  • Options

Posted By Sue Chapman on 18 Apr 2015 07:26 PM

Hey Rich and everyone - happy to help as I can - info, Madison info, SAG, kayak for Sunday? Just let me know as we get closer...

Mary Larson will help out as well!

Hi Sue,

Yes! Would love to get kayak help for Sunday. I'll be training with the campers during the camp so I will need to hook up SAG on the course on Friday and Saturday. Any ideas? I can ping Jonnie D also, see if he knows anyone.

• Options

Team IMWI:

Well, we're all 11wks out (I think) and busy beginning to get it done. I wanted to ping everyone about this camp. I only have 4 people registered but I think that several people are on the fence, waiting to register, etc. I will shortly need to tighten down the lodging and other arrangements so if you're planning on joining us for the camp, please register so I can have a better sense of what I need to prepare for the camp. 

Thanks!

• Options
    I attended the camp last year and it was great - well worth it.

I moved my entry to Steelhead, pesky foot injury.

Good luck all
  • Options
    I am in! Let's saddle up all!
  • Options
    I'm on the "waiting to register" list. I just need to finalize whether I'll be staying at the hotel or with family, but should have this figured out in the next day or so.
    One question - about what time will we get started on Thursday?
  • Options

Posted By Lindsay Blumenshein on 29 Jun 2015 03:34 PM

I'm on the "waiting to register" list. I just need to finalize whether I'll be staying at the hotel or with family, but should have this figured out in the next day or so.

One question - about what time will we get started on Thursday?

We meet at the hotel at 5p and I start the discussion that evening at 5:30p

• Options
    Hey Rich I sent you an email about the camp last week as I'd like to come...I had some logistical questions, thx.
  • Options

Posted By Matt Aaronson on 29 Jun 2015 06:50 PM

Hey Rich I sent you an email about the camp last week as I'd like to come...I had some logistical questions, thx.

Didn't get the email. Please resend or post here. Thanks.

• Options
    Hello Rich, I am interested in attending however was considering holding on registration until post 70.3 Racine. Returning from injury things have been a bit up in the air and want to be sure I am going to race before committing to camp. Will that work...or to late for your planning? Second...is it ok if I organize my own lodging...or request single occupancy at reduced through you?

Look forward to hear!

Dawn
  • Options
    Dawn, that's fine re the date. Will mKe it work. The camp includes double occupancy. If you want your own room that's $250 extra. If you secure your own lodging, I will refund $250 to you after you register for the camp.

Let me know if you have any questions.
  • Options
    Thanks Rich, makes sense! Keep me in mind then for your tally...and will look to make it official in a couple weeks. Will you or Patrick be in Racine for the 70.3?
  • Options
    No, PnI don't go to the halfs unless we're racing. We have a full dance card with going to the fulls :-)