Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

John Schneider Micro Thread

Cool weather him race ? 4 this saturday 

Low's for the night mid 40's high during the day low 60's in Grand Junction, CO - so a low humidity race. 

I was thinking about what to wear under my sleeveless wetsuit, I was considering wearing an under armour long sleeve jersey and then my en tri top along with bike shorts of course. 

I have arm warmers I could put on in T1, gloves/under armour bike hat, possibly a short sleeve bike jersey over the top with a full zipper, short sleeve bike jersey I could take off in T2. 

Does that sound like it will work or any other ideas to keep me warm. 

Thanks in advance, John S 

Comments

• Options
    John, all would work! I was in TX racing (sorry!) and the Team would be a great resource for this moving forward..what did you end up doing?
  • Options
    Hey Coach, no worries - hope you had a warmer race than I did. I did all of the above except for the arm warmers which I should've put on in T1 as I froze until either the under armor long sleeve shirt dried out or I warmed up on the bike. I didn't put my gloves on until about 5 minutes into the bike also should have put these on in T1 as well as I had to stop and was so cold I could barely get my hands in the finger holes. Anyway Live and Learn. Thanks
  • Options
    Gloves and armwarmers are both great for the GoBag, put them on as you walk out of T1, saving you time but keeping you safe while riding!
  • Options
    Camp Week ? I don't have enough vacation time to take off Friday. I was thinking I could shift everything back one day, Friday - Swim, Sat - Bike/Run, Sun - Bike, Mon - AM Run. Then take Tuesday off (swimming is my strong leg/Running is my weak leg), the question is what would I do the Thursday before camp week starts anything?/Tuesday like Run?
  • Options
    John, I would go Monday, Tues, Wed as planned...then Thurs repeat the Tuesday run (or same time but with strides) and then Camp Week.

On the aftermath you might have to take Wed off as well, or at least reduce expectations...but first, to survive Camp Week!
  • Options
    So I got a stryd power meter, just before the discount came available image anyways, my question is can I just plug my power numbers from my 5K run test on the bike calculator and use those zones?
  • Options
    John, sorry to hear that! We do our best, but we still don't have the endurance nation Time Machine ready for you to go back in time and adjust your purchase. :-)

I don't recommend using the bike calculator to determine your running zones. We are working on coming up with a process for this now, but will take a little while. Please stay tuned in the power and pace forum.
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

• Recovered from Hernia Surgery in October.
    • I've been running 3-4 x's a week, long run up to 9 miles
    • Biking 3 x's a week, long bike up to 1.5 hours

Your Races

• Ironman Boulder (2018-06-10) #IMBoulder_18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

Last updated by Coach on 02/05/2018

• On 2/5/18 load the Bike Focus Plan, BEG level, to end on 3/18/18
    • On 3/19/18 load the EN*Full Plan to end on 6/10/18 (do L1 run, L2 Bike)
    • On 6/11/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 7/8/2018

Coach Notes

John great to have you back on the fitness train again. Given how close you are to the Ironman® and your Hernia Recover, I don't want to go nuts with your training intensity (aka OutSeason style). I prefer instead that you do the Bike Focus plan to get the miles up, and run consistently through it (no run intensity please, only TRP). 

Then you can make the leap to the final 12 weeks of the EN*Full Plan

In the meantime, please tell me what your weekly run average mileage has been since 1/1...I'd like to set some baseline targets for you!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Hey Coach:
    1/1 22 miles
    1/8 25 miles
    1/15 24 miles 
    1/23 20 miles
    Regards John S
  • Options
     Thank you so much for the quick reply! Let’s get you to 24 to 26 miles a week, that would be perfect 
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

I like where you are at WRT to the run, and we want to keep that rolling. I think 26 to 28 MPW right now is great...every once in a while you can go bigger Like the 32, but we don't need to sit there.

Note the weeklong "gap" in your plan at New Years...this could be a choice / re-energize week for you. I have added both of the Run Durability Program (RDP) plans to your Final Surge account. When you get a chance, make sure you have connected your Garmin/Strava to Final Surge to auto track your WKOS: https://www.finalsurge.com/GarminConnectSync and also be sure to put the Final Surge app on your phone: https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

Your Races

• 2019 IM Boulder

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 11/05/2018
    • On 11/5/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/2/2018
    • On 12/3/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/30/2018
    • On 1/7/2019 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • On 4/15/2019 Load the Intermediate Swim Camp to end on 4/28/2019
    • On 4/29/2019 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 6/9/2019
    • On 3/18/2019 Load the EN*Full to end on 6/9/2019
    • On 6/10/2019 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 7/7/2019

Your Notes

Aquabike May 2018

Harvest Moon Half Iron September 2018

Running 4-5xs a week 

Running wk mileage past 4 weeks

25, 25, 30, 32

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

I'm in os week 8 and noticed the final surge Monday email says run frequency target is 6 for advanced is this 6 run days a week? If so on final surge calendar I only see 4 days of running, so I was wondering where the other two days was coming from?

• Options

If you are advanced, you can add them yourself as two additional brick runs. 👍

• Options

Hey Coach:

The bad news I had a case of shin splints that ruined my IM 2019 Boulder hopes for this year.

The good news is I'm back running 5 days per week, sunday long run was 30 minutes with no pain, fingers crossed/knocking on wood.

I'm trying to readjust my season to figure out what races I can do.

I've been able to keep my biking and swimming up, bike ftp at 267 3 days per week (I live in Denver @ 5k elev) did 3.5 hour ride this past saturday and swimming I'm at 3k yards 2 days per week (I'm a sub 1 hr im swim).

Do you think it's feasible to shoot for lake placid 2019 or should I instead shoot for Wisc/Chat/Louisville?

I don't want to just finish, I'm always trying for a KQ slot (have not made it yet), my last run 5k was 22:35, running is definitely my weakest event.

As always thanks for your help, John Schneider

• Options

The more time you have, the better. Before I give you a final answer, but can you tell me what your Iron Man run times have been relative to your open marathons times. Also, what adjustments do you make to your training to alleviate the shinsplints?

• Options

IM run times for you

CDA 2016 - 4:15:42

IMHoe 2015 - 4:17:33

Louisville 2010 - 4:01:02

For the Shin Splints,my running Doctor has me doing the following:

I'm running cadence of 180

Wearing calf sleeves during day and when I run/bike

Running fast correctly - extending my run behind my hips and a little more arm swing

Foam rolling my calf's

(I really think this years cause was running fast incorrectly, was picking my knees up to high)

• Options

Technically speaking if you want to run faster picking up your knees is the way to go. I’m pretty sure that’s one of the key technique changes recommended by better running coaches than me. 😆

While I like where your bike in so long, I do believe having six weeks here to restart your run and then begin proper run training would be way more beneficial for you. If it’s not too much to ask, I would look at Wisconsin or Louisville… What do you think?

• Options

I was thinking IM Chat, only because I could hopefully make the camp and then do the race, would that work?

• Options

That will be perfect! That allows us to get on track and give you enough time to get smart and fit. Let’s do it!

• Options

sounds good, looking forward to the plan

• Options

I am on it! 👍

• Options

@John Schneider I have loaded a run plan for you, and modified it a bit, to help you continue to progress. I have also put the 12 week plan into place for CHOO (starts on 7/8). The question becomes how we bridge what we have to where we want to be in July.

My general guidance for you is:

• Run frequency rules...I'm not worried about the mileage of any single run, just lots of little runs. It really does add up.
    • Bike intensity / volume is your friend...you don't have to go hard all the time, or long every weekend, but The bike is the place to do the work. You'd be surprised what a long and easy 5 hour ride at the end of MaY and again at the end of June could do!

Please keep me posted!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks Coach P, so if I'm understanding, run 5-6 days a week, what mileage per day do you consider little? 5 mile runs? Should I be working up to a long run per week the closer I get to 7/8, if so what/when would I start and what would I work up to, would I keep the overall mileage the same if I upped the long run?

Then on 7/8 do the IM advanced plan for IM chat

• Options

Hi Coach P, does what I wrote above make sense?

• Options

Yes, it does make sense. I think of a short run as about 30 minutes, regardless of the mileage. Something that quickly fits into your week. You will want to have one weekly run that is between the 60 and 80 minute range so you can prepare for the transition to the race plan. Obviously you don’t need to have that a full long run time ready now, it’s something you can build up to incrementally. At this point to season the weekly number is more more important than that one individual run number. Frequency is simply the best way to do it. If we can get you running five or six times a week, that’s a win!

• Options

Thanks Coach, what plan am I loading up on July 8?

Would it be the 2019 Full Bike Focused Plan (20 Weeks)

or the 2019 Full Run Focused Plan (20 weeks)

I guess this would end up being 11 weeks, correct?

• Options

You are correct, it will be the last 11 weeks of the plan. I prefer that you do the bike focus version so we continue to use cycling as a means to build your fitness while giving your run fitness room to grow a little more gradually. How does that sound?

• Options

Lets keep the workouts rolling in!!!

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman Tulsa (2020-05-31) #IMTulsa_20   

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•  Last updated by Coach on November 07, 2019
    • On 10/28/2019 Load the OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 2/2/2020
    • On 2/3/2020 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 2/9/2020

>> Transition Early << 

• On 2/10/2020 Load the Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 3/22/2020
    • On 3/9/2020 Load the EN Full Run Focused to end on 5/31/2020
    • On 6/1/2020 Load the Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 6/28/2020

Your Notes

Iron man Chattanooga 2019

Run 3 x week 30 min runs

Bike 2 x week 20-30

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P