Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

10 Weeks To Go (Training Thread)

For some reason this race always makes me nervous  Add to it the turn around from Lake Placid, and I need to be careful last week and this I don't get too aggressive, but don't lose too much fitness. Tough cliffs to navigate between

First week: Nothing except visit NYC until Saturday, when I swam 3 K, ran 5 miles, including 1 mi @ TP on the track. Sunday, I took my new road bike up 5200' in 20 miles, from sea level to Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics. Road was closed to cars, with 100s of cyclists and a fun descent. I took a progressive approach, IM+ pace the first hour up, sub HIM pace the second hour, then HIM to HIM + the last 45 minutes. I have no power meter yet on the new bike, so this was by HR.

Second (this) week: I got a little too excited I think. On Monday, I couldn't successfully finish the swim workout @ a descent pace, so I pulled the plug after 50 minutes. I ran 5.2 miles @ my LRP. Tuesday, I ran another 5.6 miles with 2 x 1 mi @ TP on the track. This may have been a mistake. That evening, we had our weekly social ride of 1-1.25 hours, which I usually hammer. This time, I worked fairly hard for 45 minutes, then rode easy another 30 with Cheryl. Wednesday was 1 hr 22 min on the TT bike, including 15 minutes @ 0.9, another 20 @ 0.8. I tried to follow that with a 40 minute brick, but could not run without pain in my right glue. 5 minutes did not work it out, so I limped back, and decided to shut down running fro 48 hrs to see what happened. Then, a subset of the Tues evening social riders went out to Mt St Helens for a 72 mile ride gaining maybe 6500' overall. An absolutely stunning day rising through the forest into the blast zone, clear cloudless skies @ 65-75F. Probably the equivalent of a good 5 hour weekend ride (took 5:12, of which an hour so so was pure downhill coasting/soft pedaling) Then today, back in the pool for 3K, 1-2 sec/100 slower than I was doing two weeks before IMLP, followed by a test run on the track, 5k @ LRP with much less pain.

I see next week as getting myself into proper "training shape" so I can take advantage of the following 18 days in Colorado, where I will work at long climbs, long steady rides on the valley rail trail/roads, running frequency, and steady swimming with short intervals once a week. I'll b e using the training plan as a guide, trying to hit all the workouts in some form or other. But the plan only has 3 bikes a week, and I will try and get 4 in, usually adding a second 3 hour "Sunday style" ride. I'm gonna split my long runs while I'm there, and work on increased run volume and frequency compared to what I did leading up to LP.

Comments

• Options
    I promised myself 2 weeks of easy after IMLP... Had NO problem delivering.... Week one was 2 days off to start then 5.5hrs ALL ridiculously easy SBR type movements adding up to a whopping 246TSS points (lowest week since Nov 14).... Week 2 this week still not feeling it for a while but managed 2 x 1/2 mile repeats on the run and 30min FTP to start adding the intensity back... This weekend I managed 2.5hrs at 4watts less than I rode 5.5hrs @ IMLP and then a 90 minute run today.... Tomorrow is a swim only day and then the proverbial SH!T is gonna hit the fan as I plan a very progressive 4 week build! As I become fatigued through the next 4 weeks I am going to be thinking about the down/recovery week of travel from NH to AZ and the 2 massages I have scheduled for when I get there.... 2 solid weeks of training in AZ with weekend Race Rehearsals before traveling to KONA for the taper.... Stay tuned I have an interesting Race Rehearsal planned....
  • Options
    Following 4 weeks of family vacation in July, abroad and on the road therefore run only (except for two 3hour rides with coach Rich in Monrovia), I have now completed two weeks IM race prep. Run form obviously ahead of schedule, bike slightly below but with time to come up to speed, swim form is the issue and do not plan to go crazy with it over the next 10 weeks (it is what it is .... even if that costs me 10 minutes I'm better off maintain my run / bike focus).
    Looking forward my biggest issue is heat training given we are in cold season down here (can not call it winter but it still far from Hawaii temperatures).
    Planning a heat camp in MACEIO north of Brazil (KONA like winds and temperatures) on week 16 when I will execute RR1 (one week later than normal but appropriate given the weather conditions).
    In order to make the best of that heat/volume camp, Sauna sessions will begin in a couple weeks and will continue after for maintenance.
    Good training to all .... STAY HEALTHY!!
  • Options
    @Al and @Tim, I will begin acclimation next week for my "heat camp" and though I have a general how-to-idea (sauna sessions after FTP training sessions and indoor training with layers).... I wonder if you have experience in the subject? Assuming the above is correct, I don't know how long those sauna sessions should be and / or how hot should the room be for indoor sessions??
  • Options

Posted By Juan Vergara on 11 Aug 2015 01:17 PM

@Al and @Tim, I will begin acclimation next week for my "heat camp" and though I have a general how-to-idea (sauna sessions after FTP training sessions and indoor training with layers).... I wonder if you have experience in the subject? Assuming the above is correct, I don't know how long those sauna sessions should be and / or how hot should the room be for indoor sessions??

I have not yet successfully learned how to manage my preparation for the heat in Hawaii. And I'm talking maybe twelve years racing there including Xterra. So my advice is purely theoretical, which is: the science says that heat acclimation reaches its max after three weeks, nothing more is gained by doing it longer. What I'm going to try this year, in addition to running in any hot weather i can find (doubtful) is do some indoor run sessions on a treadmill with no fan.

You might consider PMing Dave Tallo, who has done sauna work each of the past few years for Hawaii, with what I would regard as some success.

• Options
    Juan , I did some sauna, steam room, and hot tub work for IMTX a few years ago , then I went to Texas to train for 2.5 weeks before the race, ended up the coldest 2 weeks pre-race ever and then the hottest raceday... I did well but have absolutely no idea if it helped or not.... I will say be care as I felt pretty depleted after each heat session... Dave always goes to KONA early and really takes it to another level , turning off AC in car/hotel etc.... We have had ZERO hot days here in NH.... Hope to get some heat in AZ for a couple weeks , but there wont be any humidity, and then 10 days in KONA will help... But I'm not gonna take on any special protocol .....