Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

JW's Big Fat Challenge to YOU!

You may or may not know that I'm racing Ironman Wisconsin on my Fat Bike this yr.  I talk about my non-standard training and choice of bike HERE.

If you've never seen or ridden a Fat Bike, they are designed to be ridden anywhere, just slowly (like 4mph) - think snow, mud, sand, over rocks, etc (Think the "Monster Truck" of bikes).  They have huge heavy tires and are sitting mostly upright as they are intended to be ridden 30-60 mins at a clip.  Normally the tires get inflated to 3-5psi, but I'm gonna go crazy and run them at the MAX allowable pressure of ~30psi.  So if you think of an aero Tri Bike being a given amount faster than a Road Bike, a Mountain Bike is about 2x that much slower than a the Road Bike.  Then a Fat Bike, is about 2x that much slower than even the Mountain Bike.  It's pretty much a parachute in any kind of wind.  Not to mention mine is a 1x11 setup with the only chainring I have in the font being a 32 tooth.  Let that sink in for a minute, the small chainring on a compact crank is a 34 tooth or 6% bigger than my biggest gear.  So I spin out at anything above the low 20's mph and can't even coast fast downhills because of the lack of aerodynamics that I mentioned earlier.  Imagine doing an entire 112 miles in your 34-15 gear combo...

I'm racing to raise money for ReserveAid.  ReserveAid is a charity that I am on the Board of that raises money for Military Families (primarily Reservists form all branches and National Guard) suffering financial hardships from their service.

Mike Roberts (and then Mark Hickman) gave me the idea for this challenge, so here it is...  Pledge to donate to ReserveAid based on either my bike split or overall time.  You pick the goal times and the dollar amounts.  Here's an Mike's unsolicited example:

Posted By Mike Roberts on 01 Sep 2015 07:53 PM 

You go 6:15:00 or faster on that full bike course on a fat bike, $100 goes to the charity of your choice. 

Posted By Mark Hickman on 02 Sep 2015 07:54 AM 

I'll throw in $50 on that challenge...it that gives a bit of extra motivation to you - totally worth it! 

Wanna bet I can't go under a 6:30:00 bike split?  6:15:00 bike split?  12:30:00 overall?  12:00:00 overall?  4:15:00 Run split?  Top 50% AO?  Top 50% in M40-45AG?  Wanna bet I can't beat YOUR time from YOUR Ironman this yr on my fat bike?  All in the name a supporting the worthy men and women of our military...  Here's your chance.  Simply place your challenge/bet to me in this thread for all to see.

Then after the race click HERE to donate and fill in the bottom section of the form.  I can't wait to see what this team comes up with to challenge me!!!

Comments

• Options
    JW - I'm in!!

I'll bet $50 for each of the following:

If you beat my 6:18 bike at IMLP this year
    If you beat my 4:18 run at IMLP this year
    If you beat my 12:06 finish at IMLP this year.

So, $150 to Reserve Aid is on the line and up for grabs and honestly, I hope you can pull it off!
  • Options
    I'm in. I rode IMTX in 7:01. I'll give $2 for every minute you beat me by.
  • Options
    looking at your past results I bet the following:
    $50 because you are showing up
    $50 if your bike split is faster than 6:30
    $50 if your overall time is better than 11:45
    so, $50-150 for reserve aid!
  • Options
    $25 for a 6:15 bike split
    $25 for a 4:15 run split
    Bonus $25 for a 6:15 bike split followed by a 4:15 run split.
  • Options
    JW, because this is such a BHAG, I challenge the following:
    - Like Scott, $50 for showing up
    - $50 if you make the bike cut-off
    - $50 if you bike less than 6:30
    - $100 if you run less than 5:00
    - $250 if you beat my 2013 IMWI time (11:51:07)
  • Options
    Alright let's give you some motivation and dollars for a great cause.

$50 for beating my 6:04:34 bike time at IMChoo
    $50 for beating my IMChoo overall time 12:20:58
    $50 for even splitting your marathon within 30 seconds of the front and back half
  • Options
    $100 for finishing
    $100 for eating a pint of Ben and Jerry's within 2hrs afterwards
  • Options

$50 for showing up.

$100 for finishing.

Way to lead!

SS

• Options
    Well played. I'm in.

$25 for showing up on a fat bike in the first place.
    +$25 if you beat my IMWI bike split
    + $25 if you beat my IMWI run split
    + $25 if you beat my overall IMWI time
  • Options
              I'm in for $50. Finish for the Vets.
  • Options
    As an Army veteran who was deployed for a year to Afghanistan and stationed there with excellent Reservists and NG members, I'm in for:
    $100 for you showing up, and
    $50 if someone rides past you and smacks you on the ass ($25 bonus if it's an EN teammate! You might want to let Coach Rich get out of the water first), and
    $1 for every person that rides by and says "nice bike". (Up to 200 people since that could be every person in the race. Lol. Trust you'll keep track image
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Think I'll add those last to details to my race plan should the opportunity arise!
  • Options

Posted By David Duran on 03 Sep 2015 04:08 AM

Think I'll add those last to details to my race plan should the opportunity arise!

Won't you need to be faster than me on the bike to be able to smack my azz?   Bring it!

• Options
    Poor grad student here, but $25 and what is left of my ego/pride if you cross the finish line before me.
  • Options

Posted By John Withrow on 03 Sep 2015 07:35 AM

Posted By David Duran on 03 Sep 2015 04:08 AM

Won't you need to be faster than me on the bike to be able to smack my azz?   Bring it!

Right you are. Will be some extra motivation to keep moving watching for you and that magnificnet ride up ahead!

• Options
    I'm in.

$50 because it's a phenomenal cause
    $50 if you beat a 6:15 bike split
    and $200 if you PR your run...because regardless of bike type there's no such thing as a great bike followed by a poor run!
  • Options
    Count this AF veteran in.
    $100 for starting the race.
    $100 for an official finish.
    $100 more for finishing under 12 hours.

And good on ya for doing this!
  • Options
    JW, good on you for taking a small gesture by me and turning it into a great idea. I hope you raise a sheetload of $, and I am very much looking forward to writing the check.
  • Options
    You have my donation, JW:

$50 to show up with that bike
    $50 with an official finish.

Good luck!!!
  • Options

Can't believe you are going to show up on a fat bike- so...

$50 to finish

$50 if you bike that thing faster than I ran the Bataan Death March Marathon in full ABUs- 6:40 (shouldn't be too difficult!)

$50 if you PR AND negative split the run ( $25 if you PR OR neg split).  And I guess you better do it by less than 30 sec if you want that other $$$ someone put on an even split!) 

And...$25 if you add at least a 1/3 cup of Hershey's syrup to your Ben & Jerry's.  Get on that short bus!!

• Options
    Posted By Keith Wick on 07 Sep 2015 04:06 PM
    But seriously, I'm in for $150 for the bike split, provided he not only finishes the run, but also does the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream challenge like he did last year in Kona. #stupidwithrowtricks

Posted By Nemo Brauch on 08 Sep 2015 12:29 PM
    I'm in! It's gonna be a blast following you. I know you have some pretty fast expectations, but I'm keeping this more personal even if it means an easy win for you.

$25 if you beat my best time on the IMoo course (13:43:17) (easy money, right?)
    $25 if you bike 6:15 or better AND run under 4:30
    $50 if you; 1) wear a pink speedo to bike check-in (nothing else below the waste except shoes and socks), 2) have video proof of such bike check-in, and 3) post such video proof to all social media sites you or your wife are currently members of within 24 hours of such bike check-in.

Good Luck!!!

PS- I'm sure Coach Rich or Coach P can hook you up with the pink Speedo

• Options
    Awesome Monster Bike! Good luck with the race and will miss you in Chattanooga.
    $250 for starting the race
    $250 if you achieve your fundraising goal for ReserveAid
  • Options
    #StupidWithrowTricks is HANDS DOWN my new favorite. Ever.

I'm going to do my best to provide real-time documentation via Periscope (@jesswithrow), Twitter (also @jesswithrow - I'm creative like that), Facebook, etc... and it looks like I have a new hashtag. Thanks Keith!!!
  • Options
    #StupidWithrowTricks:

$50 for starting
    $50 for pink speedo bike check in
    $50 if you make the bike cut-off
    $50 if you bike less than 6:30
    $50 if you run less than 4:00
    $50 for sub 12:00 finish

Good luck!
  • Options

$50 for wearing a pink speedo to bike check in

$50 for finishing

$1 for everyone you beat in your AG on the bike (faster bike split)

Good Luck!!! 

• Options
    Ok - looking to give some money to Reserve Aid - So here's what you have to do....
    $100 if you beat a 1:30 swim
    $100 if you beat a 6:30 bike
    $100 if you beat a 4:45 Run

Make me contribute!!!!!
  • Options
    Way to be JW. Looks like you rode a 6:06. 7:01-6:06 = 95, right? So 2 x 95 = 190. Carry the 7, and decide by the third root and let's make it an even $200. Awesome job! Now go negative split that run
  • Options

Posted By Teri Cashmore on 09 Sep 2015 03:07 PM

$50 for wearing a pink speedo to bike check in

$50 for finishing

$1 for everyone you beat in your AG on the bike (faster bike split)

Good Luck!!! 

Teri -- If the data I am seeing at the IM tracker is accurate, there are 576 in the M40-44.  And JW was 84th  (!!!!!!)

• Options

Posted By Joe Matchette on 02 Sep 2015 12:15 PM

I am at $150 as he gets off the bike.  6:06:24.  WOW!!!!

If he runs 4:21:34 or faster then he gets the full amount from me...and I thought there was no way.  I should have known better than to encourage any more #StupidWithrowTricks. 

• Options

Posted By Joe Matchette on 13 Sep 2015 03:05 PM

Posted By Joe Matchette on 02 Sep 2015 12:15 PM

I am at $150 as he gets off the bike.  6:06:24.  WOW!!!!

If he runs 4:21:34 or faster then he gets the full amount from me...and I thought there was no way.  I should have known better than to encourage any more #StupidWithrowTricks. 

$250 to ReserveAid!  Well Done, Sir!  Well DONE!!